( search forums )
Never Follow The amount of Ram needed figure
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
April 5, 2005, 1:44 am
Really, how much RAM do u have? I have 256, the amount needed for Star Wars Republic Commando, but everytime i run it, i restarts my comp. The *recommended* is 512. So just cos u have enough doesnt mean it will run.

FliesLikeABrick
April 5, 2005, 2:11 am
it restarting your computer has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you only have the reccomended amount of RAM

zambo_the_clown
April 5, 2005, 2:11 am
sometimes a game or application wont run if you have too much RAM. I have 768mb or RAM and i cant run some applications and it even says it about people with such an amount of ram or more wont be able to run probably.

Pulp
April 5, 2005, 2:19 am
What causes the "blue screen with as message 'memory dump' + automatic restarting" than, if it got nothing to do with RAM ? I have that a lot lately, mostly when i'm playing 3D games, although i should have enough RAM...

n00bface
April 5, 2005, 2:48 am
Bad RAM causes that message

Gen0cide
April 5, 2005, 6:22 am
.."Bad" ram?

April 5, 2005, 10:13 am
it only works when my computer had nothing running, absolutely nothing.

Tha Doggfather
April 5, 2005, 2:21 pm
What are you running otherwise with Republic Commando? Doom 3?

heh

There's no such thing as too much RAM, people saying that are the ones with [IMAGE]ty PCs. Applications that don't run because you have too much RAM? Give me a break.

I have 1024 MB of PC3200 RAM, I find it suffice :)

Deleted User
April 5, 2005, 2:46 pm
Remember that most of the time, the PC's they test those specs on are stringently designed for their game.

Also, "Bad" RAM is pretty common, unfortunately. Remarked chips, shorted circuits, or any form of overheated RAM is often times just resold when its returned. =
Oh yeah, and rubbing your man-meats on your PC doesn't do it any good either, 117, so stop trying.

peemonkey
April 5, 2005, 4:04 pm
448MB :( ill upgrade soons

N1nj@
April 5, 2005, 9:32 pm
lol damn man. so much ram. only 256 >.<

AerialAssault
April 5, 2005, 10:58 pm
ive also got 1024mb Corsair PC-3200. you can get it pretty damn cheap now http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-145-440&DEPA=1

zambo_the_clown
April 5, 2005, 11:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by Tha DoggfatherWhat are you running otherwise with Republic Commando? Doom 3?

heh

There's no such thing as too much RAM, people saying that are the ones with [IMAGE]ty PCs. Applications that don't run because you have too much RAM? Give me a break.

I have 1024 MB of PC3200 RAM, I find it suffice :)

accually i dont get why but having too much ram can cause specific applications not to run. i read a readme text file on 2 applications i downloaded and it said having more than 512 ram can cause probelms with the application(s) and one didnt work at all and the other had stability problems. it may be of the amount of ram i have. dont ask me why this can be problem cuz i sure as hell dont know how it is possible.

Tha Doggfather
April 5, 2005, 11:50 pm
What kind of applications?

Deleted User
April 6, 2005, 1:48 am
It's not the application, usually its your OS.

Windows 95/98/ME are all built on the DOS Kernel, which can only "handle" 512 MB of RAM before it starts leaking bits of memory. I have 1024 in my ME machine, but I've solved that little memory leak issue and I haven't had any problems since.

Windows XP/2000/NT can handle 3 GB of RAM, I believe, before they exhibit the same flaw as the 9x series.

When applications try to access RAM in a stable environment, there aren't any issues. However, in the case of a memory leak, often-times they'll pull garbled material out of the address(es) they're looking for and that can often cause problems, especially when they're anticipating a certain value or preparing to write to that address(es).

Aegis
April 6, 2005, 6:11 am
I'm going to add another 512 DDR2 Ram here soon for a 1 gb total, just for The Matrix Online. Ofcourse though, I should have 1 gb anyway since all I do is play games on this computer :D

Melba
April 6, 2005, 3:00 pm
If your RAM is REALLY big compared to e.g. your hertz, then you CAN have too much ram on your computer.
We did that on our old computer :(

April 6, 2005, 3:31 pm
I run messenger

Green Barret
April 6, 2005, 3:58 pm
I seriously envy you all... One of the reasons i play Soldat is because of my bad computer. 128Ram computer thats been used for 6+ years. If i only had some more money...(starts dreaming)