April 7, 2005, 9:29 pm
1.....Ad-Aware 6.0
2.....Spybot Search and Destroy
3.....Spyware Doctor
4.....Manual Removal (not a program)
5.....Other (you tell me)
6.....Hijack This

post your opinion with a number and some reasons

3/4 for me. everything i've found is too weak and wont help me much. right now i have a crapload of adware that i cant get rid of due to the virus wars, so im manually going through all my files deleting things i dont know about.

i experienced 5 pop-ups whilst typing this, so im - that's 6. - looking for - 7 - something that will get rid of these [IMAGE]s and keep them out. arg!!!!

Denacke
April 7, 2005, 9:33 pm
it's spybot and i use that ;O

Liber_Lupus
April 7, 2005, 9:47 pm
One and two. I barely get any spyware.

Maxx
April 7, 2005, 9:57 pm
Ad-aware is the besterness.

Elemental
April 7, 2005, 10:06 pm
ya, 1 and 2 for me..

peemonkey
April 7, 2005, 10:14 pm
those 2 just arent powerful enough for me now though :/

Melba
April 7, 2005, 10:30 pm
Ad-aware finds things spybot doesnt, and vice versa. You need them both.

'Hi-jack this' is a neat program, but a tad more complicated than ad-aware and spybot.

peemonkey
April 7, 2005, 10:47 pm
yea, i just used it, clean out my system, but there's still pop ups goin down

Hitman
April 7, 2005, 11:21 pm
I use both Ad-Aware SE Professional (*Cough* Magically appeared on my hard drive *Cough*) and Spybot - Search & Destroy. Those two, in my opinion are excellent Spyware, etc removers.

I also use Registry Mechanic which scans your registry and cleans out any problems, which speeds up your computer. I have no idea what the registry has to do with performance, but anyway.

As for pop-ups and Ad removal, the best I have ever used is searches, and others. This is one of the few (only) programs I would pay for; it's worth every penny. However, if you can't afford that, then the next best thing is [url="http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html">Pop-Up Stopper which literally blocks everything (which can be a pain sometimes cause it also blocks the the forums post preview windows, etc).

I'd also suggest getting a firewall. Right now I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro, which is very good. Download the free trial, and then, erm "Purchase" it ;)

Oh and in case you haven't already done so, (I'd be really surprised if you haven't, cause that would mean you're an idiot) switch to a more secure browser like Opera. I am currently using Firefox after switching from Opera, and I strongly recommend you use the former.

I know how [IMAGE]ing annoying pop-ups and spyware can be, so I hope this helps.

peemonkey
April 7, 2005, 11:43 pm
warez warez warez, hitman! jeebus! :P what does SE pro have that standard doesnt?
since i've posted it on 4 forums already.....:
"""okay, ive been deleteing and scanning and deleteing and blocking and scanning and removing for 2 days now, and im left with a few files i cant remove. HijackThis labels them as:

O2 - BHO: CControl Object - {3643ABC2-21BF-46B9-B230-F247DB0C6FD6} - C:\Program Files\E2G\IeBHOs.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [etbrun] C:\windows\system32\elitelyz32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [intfat32] C:\WINDOWS\System32\intfat32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [intfat32] C:\WINDOWS\System32\intfat32.exe

so, i've tried to kill these in all the ways i know but they refuse to quit. i need the help of the leet pooter people. please dont post if you cant help or want to spam.

*posts this on sevral forums*"""

if you see this on a forum, i've been there :P

AWH_ReApEr
April 8, 2005, 12:30 am
I use Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and PestPatrol. I find that the combo works quite well. ;p

peemonkey
April 8, 2005, 12:41 am
I HIGHLY recommend HijackThis. it's a great program if you know a little on what should and shouldnt be deleted, or if you have balls and delete everything it doesnt like XD

UPDATE:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ikmlvm.exe -process not recognized by Hijack as something bad, but ive never seen it before and it's invisible in the system32 folder

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [etbrun] C:\windows\system32\elitelyz32.exe - recognized by hijack, but reconstitutes itself a few seconds after deleted with Hijack. also invisible in system32 folder.

i highly suggest everyone scan thier PC's for adware spyware and malware. i'd just done it, and within the last 2 days i've found over 3000 infections, and deleted all but 2 of them. very annoying

Michal
April 8, 2005, 12:45 am
Lately I've been trying to clean out the computer I use for CAD at school, I got spybot and ad-aware. Whenever I run Spybot it gets rid of a whole bunch of crap, but the next day there's usually some more :P
When i run ad-aware it finds about 140 things, but unfortunatly when I try to delete them the computer freezes -_-

Deleted User
April 8, 2005, 1:11 am
I use McAfee for bout everything...wooopie...

mar77a
April 8, 2005, 1:35 am
Mmm, i just have NOD 32 Antivirus + Zoen Alarm (Pro , magically registerd... *cough*)...Nothing more, and yeah, i use IE, and don't have any kind of problems with nothing, pop-ups, virus, etc...

frogboy
April 8, 2005, 7:37 am
For me, "Microsoft" AntiSpyware (M$ bought it out), Spybot and then Manual Removal.

Captain Ben
April 8, 2005, 9:56 am
Norton Antivirus and Spyscan.

MercyM
April 8, 2005, 2:01 pm
quote:Originally posted by Captain BenNorton Antivirus
sucks.

Yukwunhang
April 8, 2005, 3:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by frogboyFor me, "Microsoft" AntiSpyware (M$ bought it out), Spybot and then Manual Removal.

Same here.

JiggaBlue
April 8, 2005, 8:22 pm
I use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5(Registry Mechanic) Somehow i got se professional and all the the ones that need to be registered became over night! Thanks reg fairy.

b00stA
April 8, 2005, 8:35 pm
I only have HijackThis installed since it's pretty much all I need.

pm, have you checked if the process is still running? Perhaps it's running as a Windows service.