( search forums )
DEATH ???
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
Inquisitor
April 10, 2005, 7:50 am
Is Soldat dead? please discuss.
i say yes cause new releases just don't bring any novelty to soldat.
i say yes cause there's so much spam around in the forums.
i say yes cause there are so many players in the web who want improvement but (probably) will never get any.

AerialAssault
April 10, 2005, 7:54 am
i say no, because i took a break and now im back again and i now run a 6 player ZOOOMMMBIIIIIE server.

Captain Ben
April 10, 2005, 9:49 am
I say no as well. And please explain what new releases are...

AWH_ReApEr
April 10, 2005, 10:13 am
quote:Originally posted by Captain BenAnd please explain what new releases are...

Are you joking? Good lord..

Anyway, I don't think it is. Mainly because there's still a huge fan-base and tons of people still play it. Whether or not the new releases bring "novelty" to the game doesn't make much of a difference in my book. Soldat is great the way it is. If Michal could manage to fix the netcode a little, I'd be perfectly happy with it.

Soldat doesn't seem to be dying at all. If anything, it's growing. I don't see it dying any time in the near future.

Captain Ben
April 10, 2005, 10:36 am
Something just snapped in my mind! When he said new releases, I thought he was talking about the versions...

AWH_ReApEr
April 10, 2005, 10:42 am

Vijchtidoodah
April 10, 2005, 12:04 pm
Lol, no Ben, that's just some kinky innuendo. *cough*

AWH_ReApEr
April 10, 2005, 12:06 pm
Rofl.

peemonkey
April 10, 2005, 4:34 pm
i think some of us players from back in the day arent identifying with the game how it is nowadays. every couple weeks i play a few rounds, maybe completely mod it over, then im over it again :/
it's not dead, it's just got no legs

AWH_ReApEr
April 11, 2005, 11:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyit's not dead, it's just got no legs

LOL, that's a nice way to put it. =/

Deleted User
April 12, 2005, 4:55 am
i was wondering why i havent seen you around in servers peemonkey ;o

Captain Ben
April 12, 2005, 9:34 am
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyit's not dead, it's just got no legs

So it's in a wheelchair, right?

MOFO NOFO
April 12, 2005, 11:11 am
.. heh, soldat is there, but isnt moving... thats a good way to put it :p, also, 1 reason captin ben hasnt seen a new ver is that.. HEM HEM... *cough*startedplayinginver1.2.1*cough*

Inquisitor
April 15, 2005, 11:15 am
ok guys.
well i said this just cuz in times of 1.09b (or something like that?) there was a long period of waiting for version 1.2.0. (or 1.1.0 ? i dont remember) and hell that version rocked! so michal really spent a lot of time to soldat and released an update every few days/weeks.

maybe the veterans may remember... that were the good ol' days, where the community was growing a lot, had many active members (like now) but also got satisfied. and this satisfaction is missing in our days. michal is neither producing any new game features (which have to be discussed/tested/voted, I tell ya that's interesting and exciting) nor does he make any new maps! (The official ones are the [IMAGE]ing best, nobody ca beatthem.) so please get it up again.

Jaz
April 15, 2005, 11:52 am
Only maps that are fun are laos and nuubia

Deleted User
April 16, 2005, 6:47 pm
they should have one big soldat war...... hehe like 100 ppl on 1 server

peemonkey
April 16, 2005, 7:32 pm
i remember the good old days of 1.05b (that's what you were looking for). there's WAS a large wait, but then all of the sudden, michal saw his project was being enjoyed, and version after version came out really quickly. today's soldat lacks movement :/

MOFO NOFO
April 16, 2005, 8:42 pm
michal's too busy with chicks.

Inquisitor
April 17, 2005, 8:32 am
don't think so. maybe he just got tired of designing this project?

or he fuked up the source code, so that adding new features results in a complete rewrite.

Vijchtidoodah
April 17, 2005, 8:39 am
Or he's just taking his time because, like most people, he can't sit around coding for hours on end every day.

Transit
April 17, 2005, 8:44 am
Vijcht we don't have time for logic!

Inquisitor
April 20, 2005, 5:03 pm
coding for hours and months?
nobod wouls ever want him to do s.th.
but he does not show activity in the comm, right?

b00stA
April 20, 2005, 5:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by Inquisitor
but he does not show activity in the comm, right?

He did quite a few things concerning the server recently.
Soldat is as "dead" as it was last year.

Michal
April 20, 2005, 6:50 pm
In my opinion Soldat is very alive, the problem is there are too many bad server admins. There are way too many servers that are CTF with the same old maps, no gameplay variation (realistic, advance mode etc.), and all the weapons are always enabled.
There are those server admins who host a few servers but all of the servers are exactly the same, with everything set on default. I don't understand that. I am bored of the default maps, there is a map auto-downloader for this exact reason.
Every week at least 1 new awesome high quality map is released in the mapping section of our forum. Sadly, most of us will never play it in a decent ping server. Pretty much all the skilled mappers we have are just wasting their time, in fact, the only decent ping CTF server with custom maps I've ever played on was Sebastian's pub and I spent hours there because it was the most fun I've had in Soldat since I can remember.
New features in the actual game can only keep basic gameplay exciting for so long, it's new and exciting maps that keep me (and I'm sure others) coming back.
That's why you will rarely find me on one of those bull[IMAGE] U13, Apaxteam, himitsukichi, gamezone, etc., etc., servers.