( search forums )
ctf_runaway
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Mr_Sako
April 14, 2005, 2:36 am
This is a little different than any other CTF map you have player probally. instead of spawing at your flag, you spawn at the opposing teams flag. its kind of like tug of war but you push not pull.

This map supports bots

[IMAGE]

not sure how you make links with the forum code thing so heres the URL to download the map, i didn't use any of my own textures or anything

btw this is my first map, if i made any big newbie mistakes or something you've noticed it'd be nice to know

http://mr.netpub.org/map.php?id=50

Elemental
April 14, 2005, 2:47 am
wow, its a VERY original idea, like the Normandy infil map
I think its great..

Vijchtidoodah
April 14, 2005, 2:57 am
Well, I wasn't going to comment until elemental decided to praise this.

I don't like it at all.

The have already been a whole string of "backwards" maps, but nobody liked them very much and very few people play them...but that isn't even why I don't like it.

Essentially, you've skipped over the whole scenery section of the mapmaker, you barely tried to add anything original, the shading (what small amount there is) doesn't match up, and there isn't any sort of interesting layout whatsoever - basically, the map looks like it took 10 minutes to complete.

For future reference, try to see how much effort others have put into their maps and try to emulate that. I generally takes me more than two weeks to complete a map (polygon setting, shading, scenery placement, spawn point experimentation, map colors, and a huge part goes to hardcore testing to make sure that everything is right and there are no bugs) and I expect others to put that kind of dedication into theirs.

Pulp
April 14, 2005, 3:06 am
Some backwards-maps are fun to play though (not on public servers).

And, euh, this map could actually be nice as a rehabilitation map to get lost from your soldat addiction : after 10 mins playing on this map, you won't touch soldat again for at least 6 months.

EndertheXenocide
April 14, 2005, 4:46 am
Maybe i shoud try out this map then. I am getting to addicted. Are there Soldat Addiction Classes? Maybe there should be something like that: 'For those of you that are so addicted, that you dream about it every night and play more hours than you sleep.

The Geologist
April 14, 2005, 4:55 am
Nice idea, but next time take more than five minutes to make a map :/

Is that an overview, or just an in game shot? If that's the whole map, then this thing needs a lot of work...baren, boring, and flat.

Edit: Maybe that sounded a little harsh...but it's how I feel. Expand the map some more and this style could be a lot better than it is expressed in this map.

Jap_man
April 14, 2005, 7:32 am
Yea, the idea behind this map is alright but it has been executed poorly.
I mean, imagine a 6v6 game on this map. It's way too cramped in there.

But keep making maps anyway, the more maps you make the better you get at mapping.

MercyM
April 14, 2005, 6:24 pm
It's too small for online playing. Otherwise it's cool. :[]

Droopy
April 14, 2005, 6:36 pm
Very original. It doesnt realy need (a lot of) shading, so I guess it's fine there. The gameplay could be better if the map had some cover. The idea is proboably carnage, massacre and blood everywhere, but when one team takes the sg, it's game over baby. The flags should be covered at least.

Other than that this map is brilliant.

*opens map maker*

DeMonIc
April 14, 2005, 6:37 pm
Reverse ctf is not a new thing to Soldat world. Too bad it can't be executed in public games, since most people are too retarded.. but it can be fun in 2v2, or 1v1 with friends.

As for the map: like others have said, it's too small, has no layout whatsoever, it's basically a bucket with a stat gun and 2 flags. But don't let things like this discourage you.

Mr_Sako
April 14, 2005, 10:09 pm
i was trying to think of ways to add in scenerey and cover etc but i couldnt think of a place to put any in.

im thinking about expanding its size a tad bit so i can add in some scenery, but im tryingi to keep the idea of a small map

btw how do i make overview shots of the whole map like i've seen other people do?

Deleted User
April 14, 2005, 10:52 pm
Zoom all the way out in MapMaker and then hit your "Print-Screen" button on the keyboard. Then open up some sort of image-editing program(like MS Paint) and hit paste. Then erase all the crap you don't need and presto.

Maxx
April 14, 2005, 11:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by Mr_Sakoi was trying to think of ways to add in scenerey and cover etc but i couldnt think of a place to put any in.

im thinking about expanding its size a tad bit so i can add in some scenery, but im tryingi to keep the idea of a small map

Yes, do those things, it would be a muchlot better.

Darkspirit
April 15, 2005, 12:44 am
I agree with Swazo, do this it will look better without that crap...

Plz, change colours, RED/BLUE is starting to bore me a lot.

I don't like the idea, plz make your map BIGGER.

Mr_Sako
April 16, 2005, 7:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by DarkspiritI agree with Swazo, do this it will look better without that crap...

Plz, change colours, RED/BLUE is starting to bore me a lot.

I don't like the idea, plz make your map BIGGER.

the reason red and blue is such a popular color i think is becaus eon ctf maps its red vs blue

jammang
April 17, 2005, 12:29 am
Definately I agree with Mr Sako, if you're going to have a CTF you must have red and blue. I think though that the flags should go with their own colour, the reversed thing doesn't help you, it's just confusing and that leads to bad game play.

Droopy
April 17, 2005, 10:08 am
In your honour young mapper(hehe, I'm talking shamanish), I have made this map too try to inspire other mappers, couse this gameplay style is just brilliant.

Click