( search forums )
Comp is slow for no reason.
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Michal
April 15, 2005, 11:50 pm
I was having a problem with my video card drivers, so I installed a better driver for the card. After restarting the comp it works fine for about a minute, but then windows XP installs another driver for the card automaticly and I can't stop it. Afterwards the computer is slow as hell and almost always at 100% CPU usage. I know this is because of the 2 conflicting drivers.

My question to you: How can I disable WinXP's automatic hardware installation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT - The New Situation:

I fixed my original problem, but now my computer is still slow and I don't know why. It works fine when I load WinXP in safe mode but in normal mode it takes damn long to process anything, when it does the CPU usage is constantly around 100%. For example Soldat takes a few minutes to load and get to the menu but once it loads the actual game it seems to work fine. Also, internet explorer or Mozilla take damn long to load, but once it's done I have no problem going to sites unless it opens a new window.

These are the things I've done so far:
-Avast antivirus scan
-Spybot S&D
-Adaware
-Microsoft Antispyware
-Hijack This
-Defragmented

I have been doing a lot of googling but I can't seem to find any solution short of reformatting :(
Does anyone know how to fix this?

AWH_ReApEr
April 16, 2005, 1:14 am
Automatic Updates might be the problem.

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> [Automatic Updates]

Check to make sure you don't have it set to automatically download and install updates.

Michal
April 16, 2005, 1:57 am
I tried, that's not it :(
Windows already has the drivers that it automaticly installs. It doesn't download any updates.

AWH_ReApEr
April 16, 2005, 3:48 am
Hmmm... I havn't a clue, then.

Maybe the card's software has some sort of updater?

Hitman
April 16, 2005, 3:49 am
Reformat.

AWH_ReApEr
April 16, 2005, 4:45 am
Lol, that fixes everything.

sazzam
April 17, 2005, 12:56 pm
its not automatic update its the "found new hardware wizard". The only thing i could suggest is once they are installed rollback the drivers and hope it doesnt. But I dont think there is a way to disable it.

Michal
April 17, 2005, 6:10 pm
OK well I fixed the original problem of windows installing another driver. I used a nice little program called Driver Cleaner and it got rid of the old drivers window had stored.

But, now with no apparent driver conflicts it is still slow. I don't know what to do.

I will edit my original post and explain the new situation.

damnnation
April 17, 2005, 6:26 pm
i have the same thing: it took me exect 31mins.46sec to load google, i did virusscan and found some virusses, deleted them, comp still goes slow, deleted some files, still slow WTF IS WRONG!

Deleted User
April 17, 2005, 8:25 pm
Reformat. I'm assuming you use Windows. It will slow down no matter what you do. Its not your fault, its their sluggish codebase thats the problem. They actually encourage huge, laggy programs to help "protect" home users.

Reformat. Get used to that word.

N1nj@
April 18, 2005, 3:44 am
don't reformat, just buy a new one

Gen0cide
April 18, 2005, 5:36 am
I need to reformat,also,but I don't have a disc to reformat WITH..

sazzam
April 18, 2005, 8:01 am
either you've got lots of processes or you havent got much RAM

Ok
April 21, 2005, 8:51 am
Well did u try to check the file that is using the CPU so much?
Maybe its not Explorer... maybe its a specific file that u can delete or something.
Anyways Refomart indeed fixed everything :) btu its hours of work.
Quite annoying :

DT
April 21, 2005, 4:12 pm
is your comp old???
like with anytrhing when its old its slowwww

Michal
April 21, 2005, 9:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by OkWell did u try to check the file that is using the CPU so much?
Maybe its not Explorer... maybe its a specific file that u can delete or something.
Anyways Refomart indeed fixed everything :) btu its hours of work.
Quite annoying :

The process that takes up all the CPU is the system idle process, I don't think I can do anything about it :p

Thanks for helping guys, but I've read in many forums the same problem and it's always fixed with a reformat -_-
I'm planning to do it this weekend, but it's not all bad, it may fix some previous longtime problems.

Michal
April 24, 2005, 12:58 am
Well, today I reformatted. Everything's fine so far :)

Deleted User
April 24, 2005, 2:01 am
Remember:

The average Windows XP machine is on the internet for 4 minutes before its infected with at least 1 trojan or virus.

F@NTOM
April 24, 2005, 3:01 pm
You should reformat your hdd once a year. Do you defragment the hdd on a regular basis (once a month)?

PureGrain
April 26, 2005, 3:42 am
Should have run Ethereal to find out which port the trojan was exploiting and block it with your firewall long enough to yank that dude out. ;)

Next time do a search on google for DoS attacks and look at all the bots being exploited using Windows XP machines. :P

Michal
April 26, 2005, 9:24 pm
quote:Do you defragment the hdd on a regular basis (once a month)?
Usually I defragment once a month, but my drive usually isn't very fragmented anyway :P

Puregrain, I'm pretty sure it was not a trojan. I ran many AV, adware, and spyware checks, and my firewall was always up.
But I'm not having anymore problems :)

Maxx
April 26, 2005, 11:11 pm
I run ad-aware, norton's, defragmenter, and some other stuff EVERY NIGHT.

Ny computer is faster than my dad's, and his has 4 FRIKIKG GIGS OF MEMORY, and 8 screens.

enjoyincubus
April 27, 2005, 12:05 am
Yeah, well, my dad has 8 GIGS OF MEMORY and 16 monitors..!

It's good that thing seem to have fixed themselves, for the time being. I hope it's not momentary fixation, and your computer's really prepping itself for self-destruction.

Maxx
April 27, 2005, 2:16 am
Yeah, um, I wasn't kidding.

enjoyincubus
April 27, 2005, 2:59 am
Oh. Ok.

Maxx
April 27, 2005, 3:10 am
I sense sarcasm.