( search forums )
Getting an idea... ctf_Mein
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
MOFO NOFO
April 16, 2005, 7:00 pm
Ill post screens in a few, ive had an idea of a map, tho i dunno if it will be an good to u guys.
[IMAGE]

CTF_MEIN beta

this is my 2nd "released" map, but im still no good, please tell me what i can fix with it.

NOTE: that picture was taken BEFORE i added shading to the floating platforms and BEFORE i fixed the shading in the cave

[edit] forgot download, here [URL][/edit]

btw: how do i make url's into names??

Vijchtidoodah
April 16, 2005, 7:50 pm
Uhh, erm...it looks horrendous. In fact, it looks like a darker version of my first map, Ctf_Foggy Day.

Edit: Hmmm...I don't seem to like a lot of the new maps recently and the biggest problem tends to be the layout. On this one, it seems like you took the very basics of an upper route and a lower route and just mashed them together. I would like to see more variation. For example, if I were to go on the upper route, I would like a choice of paths and escape routes instead of just one flat run.

Also, try not to help out campers too much. Those platforms above the bases (especially the right one) could become a huge nest of them and, with nowhere to hide, people will get frustrated at the fact that they're just being picked off and there's nothing thay can do about it.

Now that we've got the most important piece of a map covered, let's move on to what's going to keep people wanting to play your map: aesthetics. Yau barely have any scenery on the top route or in the bases, try adding trees and shrubbery so that people have something to hide behind every once in a while (well placed colliders can make or break a map sometimes, re Kampf) but, more importantly, people don't get bored of staring at that monotonous green underfoot.

Which brings me to the shading. Basically, the only places where you've added shading is at the ends of the two routes. That's really frustrating because, again, monotony is boring. Add shadows, natural variation, and shading that makes sense (for istance, add some patches of brown in the green polygons to represent areas that have been worn away and bright areas under the light scenery) - this applies to polygons and future scenery alike.

Finally, don't add anything unnecessary. For instance, those wierd blue sceneries on the upper route. It looks like you were trying to make fog, but a flat edge and color isn't the best way to do it, especially when they aren't consistent looking and there's nothing in your map to suggest that it would be foggy.

MOFO NOFO
April 16, 2005, 7:51 pm
so what do u want me to change about it? im open to any critisism and comment... mabye death threats??

MOFO NOFO
April 16, 2005, 8:36 pm
thats water. not fog, the fog is after the ends of the tunnels :/, i will take ur ideas into mind, 2morrow or l8a today ill do some things that you suggested