( search forums )
Physics, again :p
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Moomooo
April 17, 2005, 3:35 pm
One thing that i hate about this otherwise great game, is the physics... OK, i know its supposed to be "realistic" and stuff, but it sucks. gameplay shouldnt imo be sacrified for realism.

anyway, my point is that soldiers should be more maneuverable. For ex. you are running at full pace ahead, then you want to turn back... You drift for a short period of time. Same as with when you are "accelerating" = begginning to move... I dont know the physics term for this, ?kinetik energy? (english isnt my native language), but i think it should be reduced and gravity increased slightly... now when you jump you oddly float in the air for quite a long time. that would make soldat even more fast paced and everyone would be dodging bullets and running around... cause for the moment i feel like im sailing with a big boat... i push a button and wait for a long time for it to take effect. You know... you always know in advance when your going to die, cause when you are stupidly floating in the air you cant make any rushed moves etc. Im not suggesting a kangaroo mode, but just a couple of modifications.

There are so many things that could be modified in this wonderful game that would make it even more enjoyable.

damnnation
April 17, 2005, 7:51 pm
u just d/led this game right?,well i don't care, i like soldat the way it is now, maybe some bugs need to be fixed and thats about it

Ivan0
April 17, 2005, 8:31 pm
Gameplay imo should NOT be sacrificed for realism. Jumping 10 meters up in the air nurishes the ego of many soldat players. Gravity setting would be fun for realistic games (0 gravity or 999 where barret shots have 1 meter range), but crippling the present gameplay is a blatant crime.

Futile
April 18, 2005, 11:08 am
quote:Originally posted by Moomooo[...]anyway, my point is that soldiers should be more maneuverable.

Agreed. I want more advanced moves - walljumps, starjumps (run in one direction, then jump qickly backwards), tripple-jumps - basically all the moves that's in Super Mario 64, if you remember it.

quote:
[...] cause for the moment i feel like im sailing with a big boat...[...]

Well put. You catch the feeling of Soldat controls perfectly. The thing is though, that this is something one learns to love. The control, and feel of the control, is what seperates the noobs from the pros.

Sure, you could have an instantaneous precision control a lá Super Mario Bros 1 (NES), but then there would be nothing to improve upon except for your aim. The controls of Soldat are tricky, but they are excellent once you've mastered them. It wouldn't be as fun if it wasn't a bit difficult.

quote:
There are so many things that could be modified in this wonderful game that would make it even more enjoyable.

Again - agreed. That's why we have this part of the forum. I hope to see more suggestions from you in the future. Just don't forget to search first. ;)

damnnation
April 18, 2005, 4:26 pm
^go play mario64 then^

Deleted User
April 18, 2005, 5:40 pm
I think the game is perfect as it is... no need for backflips and stuff.. ofcourse its not perfect, still some bugs to work on, but that will be fixed in versions to come (I hope). and YES u can do fast moves in air.. lay down and use jet to fly towards the ground quicker, and dodge bullets easier.

EndertheXenocide
April 19, 2005, 6:38 am
^great way to get around quickly. use your jets while crouching in the air^ But some of that realistic things don't need to be added. Advanced moves and such things don't really mean much in a 3rd person shooting game.