( search forums )
Another suggestion pack by yours truly
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
DeMonIc
April 18, 2005, 5:36 pm
Yup, so here it goes:

Retro-bink:
Everyone hates spray right? If you shoot over a number of bullets in X seconds, you'd bink yourself for like 2 seconds, until you quit with the spray. Hooray.

The squishing and the squashing:
If a soldier hits the wall above a given speed, he dies. The kill will go to the last person hitting the soldier. This would solve some blast-through walls abuses, aswell as giving the M79 and grenades a chance, since undamaging hits would kill too.

Amplifier colliders:
Basically a new type of collider: if it gets hit by explosives, it doubles the power of the explosion. Now you have explosive crates 'n boxes.

The server list things:
If you click on 'default port: 23073', it should set that as port.
The favourite servers txt should save ports and passes too.

That's it for now.

Jaz
April 18, 2005, 8:51 pm
Ak is most effective when you use single bursts, its just so bloody overpowered.

Deleted User
April 18, 2005, 8:55 pm
I like everything xcept the retrobink thingy

Elemental
April 18, 2005, 10:18 pm
I like the m79 going through walls :/
It's a alot of fun to find the different places, so I dunno about that one, and the bink, but the others are good

Futile
April 18, 2005, 10:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIcYup, so here it goes:

Retro-bink:
Everyone hates spray right? If you shoot over a number of bullets in X seconds, you'd bink yourself for like 2 seconds, until you quit with the spray. Hooray.

I don't know. What's the point of having automatics if you cant spray?

quote:
The squishing and the squashing:
If a soldier hits the wall above a given speed, he dies. The kill will go to the last person hitting the soldier. This would solve some blast-through walls abuses, aswell as giving the M79 and grenades a chance, since undamaging hits would kill too.

Blast-through walls? Is this really a big problem out there?

Please explain the M79/nade point again - I don't get it.

quote:
Amplifier colliders:
Basically a new type of collider: if it gets hit by explosives, it doubles the power of the explosion. Now you have explosive crates 'n boxes.

You hate sprayers but want nukes? I don't think it would be fun with exploding landscapes in soldat. I would feel cheated if the [IMAGE] didn't even need to hit me, but rather just shoot at the ground...

quote:
The server list things:
If you click on 'default port: 23073', it should set that as port.
The favourite servers txt should save ports and passes too.

[...]

Definetly. It's practically useless as it is now.

EndertheXenocide
April 19, 2005, 6:32 am
Don't like the blink idea. Spraying really isn't that over used. It can be yes. But other times if you see skilled players, you don't see them spraying. Not sure about the other ideas. I like things to be kept simple.

DeMonIc
April 19, 2005, 12:37 pm
Using ak in single burts would still bink itself, since you shoot more than x bullets in y seconds. Use ak-s tactically, not some damn random spray through the whole friggin map. Autos are quite cheap compared to spas or nades.
Sometimes if you do a direct hit with an m79, or a grenade, it should do damage, but it doesn't. It only smashes the enemy against the wall, who can kill you from there. That's the point of squishing damage.
Like stat guns, amplifier colliders would be placed in the map maker, so it's up to the creator to place them. So I doubt any decent map would have screens of 'em.

Futile
April 19, 2005, 1:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIcUsing ak in single burts would still bink itself, since you shoot more than x bullets in y seconds. Use ak-s tactically, not some damn random spray through the whole friggin map.

The game doesn't know a difference between tactical spray and spamming-spray. It's just not fair to take away the ability to spray properly.

quote:
[...]
Sometimes if you do a direct hit with an m79, or a grenade, it should do damage, but it doesn't. It only smashes the enemy against the wall, who can kill you from there. That's the point of squishing damage.

It has never happened to me. If it did, I'm sure it's because of lag or something, making it seem like a hit, but it was just a close-by. Or perhaps he had a vest.

I like to rocketjump, and in some levels it is unevitable to hit a wall every nor and again. It's annoying enough at is it, but friggin dying from it would definetly put me off for the rest of that day.

quote:
Like stat guns, amplifier colliders would be placed in the map maker, so it's up to the creator to place them. So I doubt any decent map would have screens of 'em.

Nah, I'm not buying the exploding polyon thingy.

DeMonIc
April 19, 2005, 3:29 pm
Thanks Futile, it's been a long while since I had to put up an argument for my ideas.

The game doesn't, but clanwars do. The idea is to cut down the 3 autos tactics, or the 1 auto bink / desert slays tactic. They are massively overused and cheap.

It happens to me day by day, it's a netcode issue, but since we can't expect Michal to make a perfect netcode all by himself, other things would suffice. As for grenade/M79 jumping: by the time you hit the wall, you slow down, so you don't get squished.. if you don't, you can always turn around and prone jet back a bit.

Have you ever made a map? Polygons != colliders. Colliders are placed over crates/boxes, that's how good'ol soldiers raise their guns above obstacles, and are protected a bit from gunfire. Explosive colliders would not block bullets, so if you want some explosive shelter, you'd have to place regular colliders over the explosive ones. I'd like to mention, when a grenade hits a collider, it explodes instantly. Amplifier colliders would simply do 2 explosions instead of one on such occasions.

Deleted User
April 20, 2005, 9:00 pm
AMPLIFIRE COLLIDERS, AWESOME, but would they set up a chain reaction to other amplifier colliders?

Keron Cyst
April 20, 2005, 9:13 pm
I don't like amplifying colliders. The collider would never die out, so you could just have some other pals come along with you and keep 'nading the same place over and over again, n00bishly earning free kills.

quote:Originally posted by DeMonIc
... If a soldier hits the wall above a given speed, he dies. The kill will go to the last person hitting the soldier....

Why not just have it say "You Killed Yourself," as is the traditional way?