( search forums )
VAR Solbound - The Soldat Gunbound, New Gamemode!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Leo Da Lunerfox
April 18, 2005, 9:25 pm
Map Name: Solbound (Soldat Gunbound)
Map Type: Solbound (I'll call it that, you can call it dodgeball or whatever you want)
Bots: No
Recommended Players: Up to 10

This map is played on Teammatch or CTF, whatever your fancy, but take note that in CTF mode, the game only ends when the time runs out.

Basically, if any of you have played Gunbound, you'll know that most of the time, you have to arc your shots over a wall in order to hit the enemy. This is similar, but in real time.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

As you can see, I've tried to approach this map with a cartoony/3D feel, and has quite good lighting effects. The middle of the bunker and the top of the bunker are completely blocked off by invisible polys, so players are forced to shoot over the bunker to kill. This is a real test of skill for any M79er, because players have to anticipate the enemy movement to do one hit kills. The default weapon for this game mode would be M79 and LAWs, but feel free to use any weapon you want to play, as they would all work (except for Chainsaw)

[IMAGE]

Another image of what's above the bunkers

[IMAGE]

The Overview, it is quite small and has very smooth curves, which makes for intense battles and fun rickochets.

Here is the dl:
http://dyn.u13.net:6081/Members/Lunerfox/SolboundFinal.zip/download

I hope you guys have fun with this, invite some friends and do some fun battles. I hope this will catch on as a new gamemode and more of these maps will be made.

Thanks GD for changing the title, I totally forgot :P

Elemental
April 18, 2005, 10:20 pm
Ohh, nice :D
It would never work in public servers, so ya, you need friends to play, but it'd probably be great for when you're bored!

Norse
April 18, 2005, 11:48 pm
I can see some new soldat trick movies coming from this map...I love how the curves are so straight and precise...excellent. I dont care for Gunboundthough :/

Leo Da Lunerfox
April 19, 2005, 12:21 am
Actually, I've tried it at a public server, and it works wonderfully. It prevents people from going to the other side and doing point blank shots by having an invisible wall between the bunker (You can't see the wall right? Its invisible haha), but Bullets can travel over it and hit the other side. People who join green or yellow team would also be prevented because they spawn in that small box under the bunker that is filled to the brim with colliders.

EndertheXenocide
April 19, 2005, 5:43 pm
Nice idea. I think it would work great in a public server. People would play it because it is different. and they can't do stupid things because the only weapon is a M79. If it was on a public server. I would play.

Deleted User
April 19, 2005, 5:55 pm
never played gunbound, but man this is a nice map =)

MercyM
April 19, 2005, 6:41 pm
Seems to be nice, but you should use original Soldat scenery files in that map...

Skate4Razors
April 19, 2005, 8:13 pm
Have you tried it on Elephants server script thing?

Oh, it looks great. Shading is nicely done for a small map, and the total concept is different. ;D

Boxo
April 19, 2005, 8:22 pm
This map is fun fun fun :D

EDIT: now that i'm past the 'omg this rox' phase, here's an evil bug in the map:

http://www.freewebs.com/boxo/solboundbug.JPG

It makes it pretty much pointless.

Also, most of the polygons are horribly bouncy, and people spawn at the prison hole even in deathmatch.

Leo Da Lunerfox
April 19, 2005, 8:36 pm
I have a 1 v 1 version of this map too, with the invisible walls taken out, if anyones wants it, I'll post it up here.

Elephant_Hunter
April 19, 2005, 10:08 pm
This was a great map... especially for camping on the invisible polies ^__^

I played it with some other folks on a public server and plenty of people joined.

Leo Da Lunerfox
April 20, 2005, 1:37 am
eh? Boxo, I didn't find any bouncy polygons....as for the "Staying on the invis polygon part, I can't remedy it, its just the way the physics work in this game...damned if I know what can make those Soldats cling to a vertical wall like spiderman...and Boxo, I intended this map for CTF and TM Only, so obviously, DM would not work right....