( search forums )
Proof that mods are made quick...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - General Discussions
KeyesBlob
April 19, 2005, 2:43 am
I see people going around saying stuff like "My mod will be done next month" and I go "WHAZZAT?".

It does not take any more than one week to make a mod. The only reason it would even take more than 2 days is because of school.

MY CHALLENGE FOR MYSELF:

To make a decent, yet standard, military mod with sounds, weapons, and interface modded. In less than a week.

I'll show my progress daily to prove myself.

Michal
April 19, 2005, 3:19 am
Now will this be quality nice looking pixel art, or shrunken down pics?
...Just wondering...

Psyl3ntShad0w
April 19, 2005, 3:23 am
i could go either way...but will it look better than 50% of mods we have now?

m00`
April 19, 2005, 3:38 am
my sticksoldier mod v 2.0 took a while coz i had to get make some of my own sounds and had to ask somone for some gfx and stuff, and i had to think up some stuff, thats waht makes mods take a while, getting permission to use other peopels things, ideas and sounds (if you dont just use google) in m ysticksoldier mod like 4 sounds were made by me :D

peemonkey
April 19, 2005, 4:55 am
i can make a mod in 2 hours if i havent played soldat in hella long and i have nothing to molest.

Zero72
April 19, 2005, 5:34 am
My long overdue mod is probably a week's work at the absolute most, but I just have many other things to do...

KeyesBlob
April 19, 2005, 12:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by MichalNow will this be quality nice looking pixel art, or shrunken down pics?
...Just wondering...

Everything will be hand drawn in paint.

I had a really nice M14 that was supere sexy but I modified it into a shotgun because I wanted to keep the stock, and accedentally saved it as a ruger so I had to make an ugly ruger.

I have been using in-movie screenshots of black hawk down, so that is how the coloring will be done.

MercyM
April 19, 2005, 1:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by MercyMquote:Originally posted by KeyesBlobWhy does it take you guys so long to make a mod?Because making good mod takes lots of times for the betatesters, making two versions of the same theme and reading to the tests.

Better be patient. ;]

papasurf31
April 19, 2005, 2:57 pm
Some of us here have these little things called "lives", meaning we can't exactly spend every waking hour modding/playing soldat. After all, Counterstrike is important too. :P

Rhombus
April 19, 2005, 3:13 pm
lol @ papasurf. Seriously tho, I am making a mod, which I started like... february 2005. I'm just too lazy to do anything to it.

Deleted User
April 19, 2005, 3:16 pm
KeyesBlob is right :p It only takes me a couple hours at most to make a realy good Gostek. Somtimes only a half hour :p Weaps take a little longer though

Rhombus
April 19, 2005, 3:23 pm
Weaps don't take me long at all. You may think bleh its a shrunken picture, but hey, see for yourself:
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=21643

Yeye shameless self promotion. I dont care. Just look at it.

Deleted User
April 19, 2005, 3:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by MercyMquote:Originally posted by MercyMquote:Originally posted by KeyesBlobWhy does it take you guys so long to make a mod?Because making good mod takes lots of times for the betatesters, making two versions of the same theme and reading to the tests.

Better be patient. ;]

That is so very wrong. Mods don't really require any beta testers, you are just saying that to grow your e-penis.

MercyM
April 19, 2005, 5:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by Ville Mk.2quote:Originally posted by MercyMquote:Originally posted by MercyMquote:Originally posted by KeyesBlobWhy does it take you guys so long to make a mod?Because making good mod takes lots of times for the betatesters, making two versions of the same theme and reading to the tests.

Better be patient. ;]

That is so very wrong. Mods don't really require any beta testers, you are just saying that to grow your e-penis.
Yeye, but my mod needs. :P
Gotta ask everyone that do they like it.

BManx2000
April 19, 2005, 6:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by MichalNow will this be quality nice looking pixel art, or shrunken down pics?
...Just wondering...

I've been wondering, why is "shrunken pictures" such a bad thing? If you do it right, you can shrink the pictures without making it look blurry (in GIMP you select "no interpolation"). It can look just as good with less effort, which IMO is not a bad thing. Take for example my mods. My tribes mod, nerf mod, and hitman mod were all done using shrinking.

Rhombus
April 20, 2005, 7:18 am
Dude, I shrink my pictures and edit them in paint to make em look nice. then for the weapon gfx, I make the shape of the weapon in black, and then I edit the colors. so easy but Im too lazy :p

Deleted User
April 20, 2005, 1:07 pm
Thats what I do too :p Execpt for my Ruger mark III, that was made from scratch

MercyM
April 20, 2005, 1:48 pm
I do that sometimes for my mods... BTW, it's resizing not shrinking. ;]

Shivorken
April 20, 2005, 2:48 pm
I get started on a mod, but then i just can't be screwed finishing it :P, only problem is, this often happens when it comes to school assignments too :( always have to finish it on the last day.

The Geologist
April 20, 2005, 4:24 pm
This proves nothing except that you can make a mod quickly. Personally, I couldn't care less.

papasurf31
April 20, 2005, 5:31 pm
Which is exactly why he posted here, to tell you all just how irrelevant this subject matter is to him. :P

Psyl3ntShad0w
April 25, 2005, 10:59 pm
you've got roughly a day left...and thats to hit the week mark...not less than a week...mehr.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
April 26, 2005, 3:13 am
I cant wait to see the finished product, if there is one...muahahha

The Geologist
April 26, 2005, 3:16 am
quote:Originally posted by KeyesBlob

To make a decent, yet standard, military mod with sounds, weapons, and interface modded. In less than a week.

Still waiting..

quote:

I'll show my progress daily to prove myself.

Lies.

Rhombus
April 26, 2005, 11:28 am
ye, his week is up.

KeyesBlob
May 2, 2005, 1:10 pm
Well, I know I am past my time but I got grounded for 4 days after I posted this topic. I do have all of the Interface-gfx and weapons-gfx, all I need is a few sounds.

I'll just post the product in the L33T Mods section tomorrow, when it will be done.

EDIT:

Heres a screen of what I got done yesterday. I made a minigun replacement, but I am unhappy with how it turned out. I know I need to refine shading on some weapons, and add more definition on others.

The sounds for all 8 of those weapons are done.

[IMAGE]

Psyl3ntShad0w
May 2, 2005, 4:20 pm
I'll give you credit for making it quickly, but personally I'd rather wait and get something like this...

I guess in this case you could say, quality over speed.

[IMAGE]

Note - I did not make that, it's papasurf31's Soldat Source Mod for those who are curious.

Deleted User
May 2, 2005, 4:49 pm
I like Psylent's weapon mods, but the interface is too simple. Keyes, your weapons are pretty good too, but they could use some more detail.

Elemental
May 2, 2005, 8:50 pm
I dunno about anyone else, but I dislike the background of the guns..there's really no point to it :/

N1nj@
May 2, 2005, 9:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by ElementalI dunno about anyone else, but I dislike the background of the guns..there's really no point to it :/
agree ;)

Psyl3ntShad0w
May 2, 2005, 10:31 pm
its so they can look like nifty buttons...everyone likes buttons ffs. ;Q

BManx2000
May 2, 2005, 10:44 pm
But they aren't buttons :P

The Geologist
May 2, 2005, 10:55 pm
Maybe if someome had a background where they actually looked like buttons (if it's possible)...but until then, they just look tacky imo.

kylerlandry
May 4, 2005, 4:07 am
M9's could use alot of work.I can't even describe what is wrong with your MP5.AK47 has a folding stock? If so then it should be the AK47-S.
M4 looks great but move the lower part of the reciever(pistol grip,magazine well)1 or 2 pixels back.12G?Any spacific name(bennelli perhaps).M14 looks fat....kinda like somthing out of a starwars movie.M16 looks kind of odd, can't quite place my finger on what's wrong with it.I don't really like the look of the G3A3.It kinda looks like a squished G3 SG-1.M249 looks like an M60 but its all squished.Well I think thats all of them later.