( search forums )
Are you a racist ? A test.
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Pulp
April 21, 2005, 2:14 am
Let me first copy/paste some info how exactly the test works ( or take a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4447471.stm ) :

quote:A least, that's the claim of those who drew up the Implicit Association Test. It works like this:

* Users put positive and negative words, such as "failure", "glorious", "wonderful" and "nasty" into categories of "good" and "bad", then do the same with images of black and white faces.
* By responding to the prompts as quickly as possible, the test aims to side-step what's known as "cognitive control" - the brief, but significant, time lapse we need to give an "acceptable" answer rather than a truly honest one.
* Depending on the magnitude of the result, respondents are judged to have either "little or no bias" or a bias rated as "slight", "moderate" or "strong".

The test can be found at : http://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html ( click 'demonstration' ... and look for 'Race IAT' after a few other clicks. )

My result was :

Your data suggest little or no automatic preference for White People relative to Black People

Skate4Razors
April 21, 2005, 2:31 am
I don't need a test to determine me being racist.

Vijchtidoodah
April 21, 2005, 2:47 am
From what I know, the original test was to determine the difference between three things: what you believe, what you think you believe, and what you want others to believe. It was never meant as a game to see whether or not you are a racist.

Cookie.
April 21, 2005, 2:50 am
"Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for White American relative to Black American"

It said this... but I agree with S4R I don't really think this test determines if you are a racist or not because I know that I am not :P

-edit-
"But not everyone is convinced. Some critics argue it has more to do with hand-eye co-ordination and manual dexterity than unearthing deep-seated prejudices. Clinical psychologist Nick Banks says psychometric tests - tests that measure personality - need a validity stamp to show they have been tested."

I often found since i was moving so fast i began to just do it manually or before I really had a good look like after putting 5 good things in a row i might put 1 bad thing in good because im following the pattern

peemonkey
April 21, 2005, 2:51 am
"Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American relative to African American"
that's hilarious. i couldnt stop laughing the whole [IMAGE]ing time

Vijchtidoodah
April 21, 2005, 3:34 am
quote:Originally posted by Cookie.
I often found since i was moving so fast i began to just do it manually or before I really had a good look like after putting 5 good things in a row i might put 1 bad thing in good because im following the pattern

That's the whole idea. By doing that, you eliminate your conscious self from the equation.

Gen0cide
April 21, 2005, 3:46 am
This reminds me of that king of the hill episode.

Leo Da Lunerfox
April 21, 2005, 5:02 am
Surprisingly, I'm only a little baised towards Blacks, when my parents are always bombarding me about how it is okay to marry anyone except for Blacks. However, I'm strongly against gays. I knew I was even before I started....I keep putting the bad words with the gay catagory.

peemonkey
April 21, 2005, 5:34 am
why you stongly against us them?

Leo Da Lunerfox
April 21, 2005, 5:52 am
I feel that it is not physically correct, it isn't in our DNA to do such things.

Vijchtidoodah
April 21, 2005, 6:29 am
Leo, I'd love to talk with you about this. Make a thread if you're interested.

peemonkey
April 21, 2005, 6:45 am
yea, but you cant really help who you love. if it's there, it's there. even if it is hooved (kidding)
im not sure about how the sexual attraction 'gets that way', but it does, and there's nothing to really do about it. i've got alot of gay friends, and they're just people who happen to like people ofthe same sex.

besides, how can any fella not fancy watchin 2 women makin out? im not a perv and i can even appreciate the beauty...

Jaz
April 21, 2005, 12:55 pm
I dont like gays because they have bumsex tbh. And cos they prance around like there special or something WHICH THEYR NOT !!!1

EDIX: Im not rascist because ive had alot of black friends
edit: Im also gangta so im certainly not rascist
edit: christina millian is hot

ClanKwH
April 21, 2005, 1:16 pm
Racists are weak poor people.. :)Pwned!

papasurf31
April 21, 2005, 1:55 pm
Jaz=gangsta...ROFL

I'm not against gays because I don't see any reason to BE against gays. What rae they ding that is so wrong and horrible, besides violating some religious crap that I don't participate in nor give a damn about. Theres a god side to it all too: hot lesbians who publically exhibt their love. It's a lot better when it's not seen through a 17 inch monitor, trust me.

DT
April 21, 2005, 4:07 pm
hmm i had a perfect score... wow

Pulp
April 21, 2005, 4:22 pm
Do the test, nutters. As vijcht said, make another thread with your opinions about homosexuality. This is a thread about a test which tests if you have any preferences for a certain race. And of course the result of the test is very disputable, luckily it is. For me it's more a test that shows your familiarity and experiences with different people from different races. I should find it quite logic that someone who lives in a farmervillage on the countryside is more suspicious about people with different colour of skin then someone who lives in a multicultural city.

quote: "But not everyone is convinced. Some critics argue it has more to do with hand-eye co-ordination and manual dexterity than unearthing deep-seated prejudices. Clinical psychologist Nick Banks says psychometric tests - tests that measure personality - need a validity stamp to show they have been tested."

I have to agree with the 'dexterity' part, the dexterity of someone's brain. It's quite easy to manipulate your results if you understand what they try to test and how they test. ( I could make up 2 complete different endresults, even my first final result therefore is quite questionable.) The hand-eye co-ordination is rather bollocks to me, there were only two buttons to use, each button had his meaning as black/white and/or good/bad. What he's most likely trying to say is that every test needs at least a bit of common sense of the person who does the test.

Tha Doggfather
April 21, 2005, 4:54 pm
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for White relative to Black

I wonder what would have happened if they asked me first to order things Bad & White -- Good & Black , and then Bad & Black -- Good & White

I just got used to order things in Bad & Black -- Good & White that I messed up in the second round.

Manipulative tests prove nothing.

peemonkey
April 21, 2005, 5:58 pm
yea, if they did the bad/white first, everyone'd be hating on the white man.
a black guy who's here soemtimes took the test yesterday, turns out he really really hates black people. im pretty sure this was meant for whites only...

Rhombus
April 21, 2005, 6:16 pm
Since this is a blacky-whity thread, I will post my theory:
Blackies were given the power of the body (marathons are almost always won by blackies)
Whities were given the power of the mind (no explanation needed)
We can only rule the aliens if we work together. So please don't be a racist.
To the whities: Invent a weapon, and tell the blackies how to use em. Do it again cuz they won't understand the first time.
To the blackies: Use em against the aliens, we rule, capice? (for the blackies: that means you understand?)

See, I'm not a racist, I want Blackies and Whities to work together.

Ender
April 21, 2005, 6:24 pm
Your data suggest little or no automatic preference for African American relative to European American.

This test is so gay, first of all, they keep talking abuot americans, but how the [IMAGE] would it matter if these people are americans or are not? well on the questions after the test i filled in that i feel very coldly about both groups of 'americans'.

Also the test _tries_ to have as an outcome that more people are racial biased, with the first words-only and faces-only training it already associates the bad words and black faces to the same side, so your brain uses the association in the next combined text/faces test and when you make mistakes because of that the test falsely says you're a racist.

Pulp
April 21, 2005, 6:44 pm
quote:This test is so gay, first of all, they keep talking abuot americans, but how the would it matter if these people are americans or are not? well on the questions after the test i filled in that i feel very coldly about both groups of 'americans'.

You did the wrong test. Mind the flags under the 'demonstration-button' at the beginning for the test. As you're from the province Holland, you should go for UK.

quote:Also the test _tries_ to have as an outcome that more people are racial biased, with the first words-only and faces-only training it already associates the bad words and black faces to the same side, so your brain uses the association in the next combined text/faces test and when you make mistakes because of that the test falsely says you're a racist.

This is quite a common psychoanalytic test. The test doesn't say whether you're a racist or not ( thread title was only made to get your attention ), the test says if you do associate certain words/feelings with a human's race. It's on YOU to break or stay with the pattern the test first tries to learn you. That's the aim of this test, to reach the subconsciousness level of your brain, to manipulate it if it's needed, and then make a conclusion out of the pattern you had at the final round.

Don't forget that every assocition is made in our brains, so that by example 'hate' is just an accumulation of associations. If you say that you are already that easy distracted about a test of only a few mins in a sensible, complicated case as discrimation based on racial preferences, it gives you a nice example how our brain works, how easy it is to manipulate our so-called 'free' thinking.

You can discuss about the significance of words linked with faces/feelings, but it's highly questionable to claim the learned pattern is false or adjusted, as you make associations, every day, every minute, for your whole life now.

Rhombus
April 21, 2005, 6:55 pm
Lol Ender, I did the same thing :p. It's probably a dutch thing to hate Americans. Aww what do I care... stupid americans. They don't even deserve a capital A in the word "america"

Ender
April 21, 2005, 7:00 pm
quote:You did the wrong test. Mind the flags under the 'demonstration-button' at the beginning for the test. As you're from the province Holland, you should go UK.
Bull, it says 'Or, for country-specific sites, click on the flag representing your nation.' country-specific, that implicates that the default test (demonstration-button) is NOT country specific, and since my country was not listed, that's what i chose.

quote:This is quite a common psychoanalytic test. The test doesn't say whether you're a racist or not ( thread title was only made to get your attention ), the test says if you do associate certain words/feelings with a human's race. It's on YOU to break or stay with the pattern the test first tries to learn you. That's the aim of this test, to reach the subconsciousness level of your brain, to manipulate it if it's needed, and then make a conclusion out of the pattern you had at the final round.
I get the point of speedtests and associations as a way to test subconcious preferences and i'm not argueing that.
The thing that's wrong is that the test is designed to make a pattern in your head itself (with the words-only and faces-only tests) so that in the real tests (word-faces combo) you'll make have a tendency to put blacks on the 'bad' side and whites on the 'good' side. Not because of a racial bias you hold but because you were trained that way BY THE TEST ITSELF.

enjoyincubus
April 21, 2005, 7:56 pm
Yeah, I even attempted to be considered racist (white preference, etc.), and it somehow concluded I have an automatic preference of black to white. The hilarity.

BManx2000
April 21, 2005, 8:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by RhombusSince this is a blacky-whity thread, I will post my theory:
Blackies were given the power of the body (marathons are almost always won by blackies)
Whities were given the power of the mind (no explanation needed)
We can only rule the aliens if we work together. So please don't be a racist.
To the whities: Invent a weapon, and tell the blackies how to use em. Do it again cuz they won't understand the first time.
To the blackies: Use em against the aliens, we rule, capice? (for the blackies: that means you understand?)

See, I'm not a racist, I want Blackies and Whities to work together.

Your theory suggests little or no automatic preference to rational thought.

Pulp
April 21, 2005, 8:15 pm
quote:Yeah, I even attempted to be considered racist (white preference, etc.), and it somehow concluded I have an automatic preference of black to white. The hilarity.
Go to Top of Page

Only proves that you failed in doing the test considering you were a racist, there's no hilarity at all in that result. It's a good thing you failed, cause you weren't able to fully manipulate your thoughts, all the associations you make, which exactly proves the point of this test.

Deleted User
April 21, 2005, 8:25 pm
quote:Aww what do I care... stupid americans. They don't even deserve a capital A in the word "america"

*sigh* I'll remeber that when I make Gosteks for you again, seeing as I'm a stupid American....

The Geologist
April 21, 2005, 8:29 pm
Does it really? Seems that doesn't prove anything except that if you feed the test crap answers it'll give you back a crap result. Or maybe that the test is a crock.

Pulp
April 21, 2005, 9:03 pm

When you act, or at least pretend you were able to act, like a racist, you won't give any 'crap' answers. If you try to manipulate the test, and fail, it will give you a wrong endresult. There is not any association between 'racist' and 'crap answers', unless you failed in 'acting as a racist'.

Melba
April 21, 2005, 9:41 pm
There's only one real racist in this thread. Regardless of what the test might say...

Meandor
April 21, 2005, 10:02 pm
It told me i'm racist, what do i win?

Famine
April 21, 2005, 10:03 pm
"Your data suggest little or no automatic preference for Black American relative to White American"

PWNT!

enjoyincubus
April 21, 2005, 10:39 pm
Since I said I very slightly preferred whites to blacks, the test somehow knew that I was manipulating the material?

On the flash portion, I 'missed' four--two 'blacksided' and two 'whitesided'. I went a tad slower, to be sure not to miss many. How am I to intepret this?

Hurry, I need to know. I am going to spend the night with my Thai immigrant friends, then head off to work with three black friends tomorrow afternoon. I need to know what to tell them. I hate them, I love them. The whole works.

I think it's funny how bias has been reduced, in this 'quiz', to black vs. white.

The Geologist
April 21, 2005, 11:08 pm
quote:Originally posted by The Geologist Or maybe that the test is a crock.

Vijchtidoodah
April 21, 2005, 11:23 pm
I just want to respond to a few points here:

quote:Originally posted by peemonkeya black guy who's here soemtimes took the test yesterday, turns out he really really hates black people. im pretty sure this was meant for whites only...

Actually, in many parts of Africa, even though almost everybody who lives there is black, all the glamour billboards feature white people because they're thought to be better, more beautiful, and smarter. Even in the US there was this famous test where a black girl was shown two dolls; one black, and one white. She was told to choose one and she chose the white one because she thought it was better and that black people were stupid.

This is extremely common when an oppressed person is stuck in a hostile environment - they'll begin to become racist even against themselves.

quote:Originally posted by JazEDIX: Im not rascist because ive had alot of black friends

It doesn't matter who your friends are. I was friends with a Neo-nazi for a few years. He hated my people, I hated his, but we got along just fine. This can be the result of two things: either a double standard, or a form of suppression in which you strive to have a friend who's black to prove that you're not racist (amoung other reasons).

Really, even though I know how much many of you will doubt this, you're all racist at the core. It's a natural biological tendency to embrace your kind and to be suspicious of all others.

Jaz
April 22, 2005, 12:14 am
Well, I didnt force myself upon any black friends. Im laid back and meet who I meet and become friendly with those who are worth being.. friends too.

Vijchtidoodah
April 22, 2005, 12:35 am
Jaz, as I've said it before. There's a difference between what you believe, what you think you believe, and what you want others to believe.

Jaz
April 22, 2005, 1:33 am
Stop calling me rascist you twat

paramud
April 22, 2005, 1:56 am
this is more of a test for prejudism.
anyways, i got:
Your data suggest Inconclusive result - too many errors.

Rhombus
April 22, 2005, 7:26 am
lol field marshal, I'm just kidding man. :p No hard feelings please...

flab
April 22, 2005, 10:03 am
"Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for White People relative to Black People" hmm....

Captain Ben
April 22, 2005, 10:35 am
quote:Originally posted by JazI dont like gays because they have bumsex tbh.

Very, very wrong. While alot of homosexual male couples may engage in anal sex, not all couples do it. Basically, it's just a stereotype. You can offend homosexual couples by bringing up the topic of 'bumsex'.
I have gay friends and we get along just fine.

Rhombus
April 22, 2005, 11:22 am
Ye, some do it oral too.

Captain Ben
April 22, 2005, 1:40 pm
Quick one.

Jaz
April 22, 2005, 5:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by Captain Benquote:Originally posted by JazI dont like gays because they have bumsex tbh.

Very, very wrong. While alot of homosexual male couples may engage in anal sex, not all couples do it. Basically, it's just a stereotype. You can offend homosexual couples by bringing up the topic of 'bumsex'.
I have gay friends and we get along just fine.

You have bumsex? I think you have bumsex tbh.

Deleted User
April 24, 2005, 12:51 am
less time consuming, just as stupid
http://www.delta4.icom43.net/images/fullsize/spot_the_racist.jpg