( search forums )
More usefull fav_servers.txt
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Futile
April 21, 2005, 9:55 am
I use the fav_servers.txt file a lot, but it is very, very limited. Allow me to suggest a couple of improvements to this excellent (and natural) part of an online-game;

First of all the info stored in the file. I want the fav_servers to register a servers IP, port, server name and last known settings.
Second, how to add servers. It should be as simple as a menu option (in game) to save a server to your favorites.
Third, I want to make the fav_server a local lobby-list. A button in the (in game) lobby will let you ping all your fav servers and grab their stats.

The third one might be difficult, cause the soldat server might not want to send it's info to anyone but the "real" lobby (like it does when it registers). It migh't give a bit extra traffic for the server, but I don't think it would be a big issue. It's not that much data in the first place.

If there is no way to let Soldat servers íntroduce themselves properly, perhaps we can just grab the stats from what's stored in our fav_servers.txt, and just ping the servers to see if they're online? That way we can still apply filters to our (local) search, with the drawback that they might be outdated.

EndertheXenocide
April 21, 2005, 5:56 pm
If I am not correct, but I believe I am, hasn't someone already posted these ideas. Or something similiarly close?

A button to add that server to your fav_server.txt file wouldn't be to bad of an idea. It would be nice to have, but don't really have to have it.

(no opinion on the other two)

Deleted User
April 21, 2005, 6:14 pm
I usually just go for the server with lowest ping and a map I like... but sure, I would like to see this in any new versions.. If I ever get a favourite server

:)

Jap_man
April 22, 2005, 6:57 am
Someone has suggested a button that adds a server to the fav_servers.txt file, but never the less it still is a good idea and I'm all for it.