( search forums )
It's been a while...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
The Geologist
April 24, 2005, 7:24 pm
Well...thanks to a crap ton of work for classes and preparation for my summer field camp, I've been m.i.a. in the mapping department. No worries though...I've managed to maintain one good idea through all my tinkering and experimentation. A deep apology to those of you who I promised a map...I havn't forgotten by any means. My latest work is nearly done...and just to tease, like anyone cares:

[IMAGE]

Thanks to Imageshack as usual. I know some of the colors are bad and in need of toning down...I'm trying to mess with the custom colors to mimic what I saw in some of the rocks in parts of Utah, which is what this map is based off of. They still need a little work, even though now that I notice it, that pic is itself a little old (new colors since then.) Anyhoo..mesas, pillars, desert atmosphere. Ctf style. Multiple route. Sceneries forthcoming. Please...don't just post to tall me about the colors, or you leave yourself open to humiliation (that is, unless you live in in Utah or have a few pictures...). Expect the map to be released either tonight/tomorrow.

Deleted User
April 24, 2005, 7:30 pm
coooooooooooooooooool.........

OBEY THE MAPPING GOD =)

MercyM
April 24, 2005, 7:35 pm
Looks really cool! But it doesn't fit into 2D... - . -

Michal
April 24, 2005, 8:47 pm
Looking good so far, I'd like to see how this turns out...

Alamo
April 24, 2005, 8:58 pm
What's that, Ayers Rock?

Elemental
April 24, 2005, 9:37 pm
I dont know, but I dont really like the green-ish color :/
But I really like the 3D look :D

The Geologist
April 24, 2005, 11:48 pm
quote:Originally posted by AlamoWhat's that, Ayers Rock?

lol, no..I havn't been there yet. This is just a rendering of a generic mesa, one of the tons I say out in the Canyon Lands area of Utah.

To Elemental - Did you read what I said? I already wrote that colors had been changed and were changing. Once I find the colors that accurately represent what I saw there, those will be the ones I use.

m00`
April 25, 2005, 12:04 am
this looks nice the geloogist, you mapping is starting to look like emoac's mapping and enjoyincubus

grand_diablo
April 25, 2005, 12:07 am
looks nice, but doesnt really work with a map, as the soldiers will be running on the edges only which will look very weird ^^

Pulp
April 25, 2005, 12:18 am
Could work in 2D if you changes a few times the 'walking' line to the front/middle/back , like in this screenshot of inf_foxcompany, so you'll be able to walk 'between' the mountains ... as far as that is possible in a 2D environment of course.

[IMAGE]

The Geologist
April 25, 2005, 12:37 am
Yes, yes...lol...I failed to mention that picture is a tiny snipit of the map. Part of the top route. The lower paths are done in a similar style as what Pulp posted.

Elemental
April 25, 2005, 3:58 am
quote:
To Elemental - Did you read what I said? I already wrote that colors had been changed and were changing. Once I find the colors that accurately represent what I saw there, those will be the ones I use.

sorry, I didnt read that all, but I can't really image that a mesa would have green..but maybe thats just me, because I live in Florida XD

peemonkey
April 25, 2005, 4:25 am
wow, when would a mesa not have green? even in the desert there's alot of grass and [IMAGE]

Elemental
April 25, 2005, 4:55 am
I said..I live in Florida..There aren't many mesas here..

The Geologist
April 25, 2005, 5:04 am
The green isn't from grass..it's the color of the rock/soil that has developed in the area. -_- Think of the colors representing different layers of rock, more or less..pondering putting up a better teaser pic. Oh well.

Elemental
April 25, 2005, 5:32 am
Ya, we trust what you know about rocks geologist! (pun intended):P

Vijchtidoodah
April 25, 2005, 5:56 am
That wasn't much of a pun...

Anyhoo, I don't think that little chip in the side of the large mesa gives the right effect that you want it to - it doesn't really look like it's going inwards that much.

The Geologist
April 25, 2005, 7:06 am
It's not meant to go in far at all. I'll try to make the contrast sharper.

Deleted User
April 26, 2005, 7:49 am
nice map.. had a cool 3D effect to it.. looks a bit grand canyon-ish :)

Droopy
April 26, 2005, 4:42 pm
I'll monitor this until it's done. Looks good for now, keep it up.

Raptor
May 17, 2005, 3:52 pm
yeah... the shading was cool. Keep it up!!!

The Geologist
May 17, 2005, 5:34 pm
This map was already released. Stop spamming so much, it's really annoying and thoughtless.

Raptor
May 17, 2005, 6:31 pm
Alright.. I'll stop

The Geologist
May 17, 2005, 6:33 pm
Please do so. I've watched you spam ten more topics in the past five minutes. Take a look at the date in the topic you're posting in, if it's a few months or years old don't post there. PM the guy that made the topic or find an alternate means of getting in touch. There's really no reason to bring back topics that are over a year old. Nothing has happened yet, but if you keep this up you'll get a Mods attention in a bad way.