( search forums )
idea to reduce amount of people using sniper line
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
m00`
April 25, 2005, 9:22 am
This is an idea to reduce the amount of people who use sniper line, well here is my idea ;o how about you can see a red dot of were other peoples sniper line is pointing, not the whole line though, just a dot so you dont have lines all over your screen... this will piss of a lot of people using the sniper line and they will stop using them :D

and for the people that dont know that other people can see them then its a win:win situation. :D

Deleted User
April 25, 2005, 3:38 pm
I don't see the point of this suggestion...
If ppl don't want it ...they will not use it ...If u don't want it ask MM to give it away...and the line isn't over all screen only to your cursor ...

The Geologist
April 25, 2005, 4:33 pm
So people use the sniper line...so what. Stop crying.

Alamo
April 25, 2005, 4:48 pm
The sniper line is for pussies and gives them an unfair advantage... and the not so big crosshair does not change it at all.

peemonkey
April 25, 2005, 5:24 pm
it gives no advantage if youve been playing longer than a month.
leave it how it is, if they use it, good for them. if not, good for them.

Deleted User
April 25, 2005, 6:53 pm
Been suggested before (in beta testing I think) and Michal considered it, but it didn't go anywhere. Better luck next time.

Deleted User
April 25, 2005, 7:00 pm
erm.. I use the sniper line, so what? I wouldnt play worse without it, since im often using weapons with great arc. (degles mp5 m79 etc.) so I get no advantage of it.. I just think its nice to have it there.. looks kewl

Deleted User
April 25, 2005, 8:17 pm
quote: erm.. I use the sniper line, so what? I wouldnt play worse without it, since im often using weapons with great arc. (degles mp5 m79 etc.) so I get no advantage of it.. I just think its nice to have it there.. looks kewl
My thoughts, and gameplay style, exactly :)

Elemental
April 25, 2005, 8:43 pm
Since everyone can use it, its basically a neutral thing... :/ If you use it, and someone else doesn't, crap for them..But if you use it and they use it, its all the same stuff!

zyxstand
April 25, 2005, 9:07 pm
i think it's quite a good idea!
would be useful to know if something's in your way - good for these tight "let's wait for the other to make the move" so you can slowly approach until the enemy is in full range of your weapon....

Mini Man
April 25, 2005, 9:38 pm
Well..ive never used a sniper line because when i use it the crosshair dissapears & it actually makes it HARDER to shoot, so...i dont really mind.

Aquarius
April 25, 2005, 9:44 pm
It may be disabled in soldat.ini by server for all players.
This is the best way to reduce it.

Vijchtidoodah
April 25, 2005, 10:40 pm
I think it would be better if only snipers while they're zooming (whether or not they have the sniper line on) would make a red dot on the polygon where they're aiming. That way, we can help people spot campers without totally giving away his position and a good sniper can still show off his skills by aiming where people won't normally look for a red dot.

Edit: Cotton, that'll only work for me, and only on my cursor. Wouldn't be much help, would it?

CottonTheMoth
April 25, 2005, 11:02 pm
If you really want a red dot, open the weapon cursor .bmp and make it yourself..
:P

zyxstand
April 25, 2005, 11:39 pm
a, no thnx - i'd want to be able to see where the "sniper line" ends - and vijchtidoodah has a point...it'll only be for you anyways... - or maybe just see the entire line..? - make another button that you'd have to hold to turn it on for sniper and ruger...

Deleted User
April 25, 2005, 11:47 pm
leave the sniper line alone... let those who want it use it. :P

Deleted User
April 26, 2005, 12:26 am
GO SNIPERLINE w00t!!!

Keron Cyst
April 26, 2005, 1:22 am
Why do you care if they have the sniper line or not? All projectiles are still gravitally affected, so it doesn't really matter, and besides, Michal made the cursor half as large, so that at least must count for something.

zyxstand
April 26, 2005, 1:46 am
ur missing the point! - other ppl don't see your cursor - we're asking for a sniper dot that everyone can see - and, as i stated above and hope that what i've said will be implememtned, the sniper dot will only be able to be activated with like ruger or barret - and then it matters whether the dot is close to you (as an enemy) or not....

Deleted User
April 26, 2005, 8:00 am
sniper dot sounds fun... snipers wont like it perhaps

Captain Ben
April 26, 2005, 8:29 am
Perhaps another sniper line option is in order?

Deleted User
April 26, 2005, 9:27 am
Sniper line on/off

Laser dot on/off
like so? how bout u urself can toggle if u want to see laser dot from others weapons..?

3rd_account
April 26, 2005, 10:42 am
I don't see the point in the sniper line. Anyone that has played for aa bit of time can calculate the bullets trajectory by routine. A sniper line is only a disadvantage to me.

murska
April 26, 2005, 1:07 pm
The laser dot , if it's implemented, should be a server type thing.
Some servers have them, some not. As if someone sees where enemy snipers point, others should too.

Green Barret
April 26, 2005, 5:52 pm
Why do you want to reduce the amount of players using the sniper line? It's an option thats in the game and it doesn't change much. There's not much of a point trying to reduce the amount of players using the sniper line.

The laser might work as a separate option.

DT
April 26, 2005, 8:27 pm
yea a red dot... that would be nice to see... to know if theres some around and they are aiming it right at you.... and konow if they hit yo outa luck... :)

Deleted User
April 26, 2005, 8:40 pm
hmm must look cool if u see only a red dot.. an then u think...

.o(be careful..)

[IMAGE]
could look like this

Keron Cyst
April 26, 2005, 8:58 pm
But that'd allow soldiers to know if they're being sniped at or not (which you shouldn't be able to know in real life until you hear/see shots or are already shot), and the laser would go off-screen and make players behave differently...

Why do you care about the sniper line or not? It's just an option. If you don't like it, turn it off. If others do, just let 'em keep it on. It doesn't give much advantage since the cursor's half as large (I already pointed this out before), and since all the projectiles are affected by gravity. If they weren't, then that'd be a problem, but this thread is just senseless if there're gravity-ffected projectiles.

Deleted User
April 26, 2005, 9:10 pm
I don't use sniper line [but I used it before] and I have nothing against it :) It's normal thing. So leave it as it is...barret [ I don't use it] is highly recoiled so when some1 shoot u , your damn line is for nuttin ...ty

gR33Tz

_Mancer_
April 26, 2005, 9:58 pm
What are you idiots talking about.. sniper line just makes your aim worse. Unless your using Uh... SNIPER? *smack* DUH.

Deleted User
April 26, 2005, 10:22 pm
i think the red dot idea would be good in realistic servers because in real life you can actually see the dot if it is on you are around you
the sniper line gives no one one an advantage. it makes me worst. lol mancer that is ver true

m00`
April 27, 2005, 8:36 am
to any of you replying with 'what do you care about sniper line if you dont like it dont use it' wtf is that supposed to mean, read my first post.. I'm just asking for people who are victims of people using sniper line be able to see a red dot, the sniper line gives an advantage in game to snipers and to make it fair, having a red dot so others can see would definately make it more fair belive me or not, if you choose sniper line then prepare to be fair, anyone in this topic disagreeing with my suggestion, most probably uses the sniper line and woulndt want people to see where their aiming.

If you dont want people to see were your aiming, simply dont use sniper line >.>

Captain Ben
April 27, 2005, 11:20 am
Does the sniper line really matter anyway?

Keron Cyst
April 27, 2005, 3:42 pm
That's what I've been trying to say all this time, and a red dot is worthless in a game like Soldat where all projectiles are affected by gravity. You want a laser dot? What the heck do you think the mouse cursor's for? Put it against the polygon your weapon's aiming at and work from there! Dang, man.

KnOt
April 30, 2005, 1:13 am
I suggested this about a year ago