( search forums )
smart sniper line
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Futile
April 26, 2005, 11:22 pm
I do suspect this has been suggested, but a search resulted in nothing similar.

I would like the sniper line to turn red if something get's in your line of sight.

Like, when you snipe and someone walks infront of your barrel. Or if you move your aim and try and see "through" a polygon or solid obstacle.

This would also make it easier to see if a scenery is bullet-collide or not.

cooz
April 27, 2005, 6:09 pm
or maybe make auto-aiming on beret, yeah that would be fantastic!
ffs omFg lo! :S

Denacke
April 27, 2005, 6:29 pm
Same opinion as cooz on this one.
No need to make it easyer than it is.

Futile
April 27, 2005, 6:48 pm
In reality you would notice if something blocks your sight.

Things would only get better. Not easier.

Denacke
April 27, 2005, 6:58 pm
We don't need realism, we need gameplay, and often that is not reached by realism.

Secondly, could you explain to me how you see the difference between better and easier in this case?

Deleted User
April 27, 2005, 7:32 pm
I dont think we need this, but could be cool.

Futile
April 27, 2005, 8:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by DenackeWe don't need realism, we need gameplay [...]

Quite. I would have better gameplay if I knew my bullet won't be wasted on a hidden bullet-collider

quote:
Secondly, could you explain to me how you see the difference between better and easier in this case?

Better gameplay. Another "professional"-feel detail to the game. It wouldn't make it (noticably) easier to hit or aim or snipe or whatever it is Cooz is afraid of. It would just feel a bit more logic.

lastpatriot
April 27, 2005, 8:53 pm
It gives the Barretards an advantage, even more than these assault Barreters already have. Or need.

Futile
April 27, 2005, 8:57 pm
Everyone would have the same advantage. Sure, a sniper weapon has greater use for it, but there's really not much of an advantage in the first place. It's just a very reasonable thing to have.

Deleted User
April 27, 2005, 11:52 pm
Or a very reasonable thing not to have.

I don't like it. Some people prefer not to use the sniper line and they wouldn't get the advantage.

No thanks.

Keron Cyst
April 28, 2005, 12:56 am
I would really like the cursor to turn red if a friendly gets in your way. It's really annoying to commit suicide from your own 'LAW only because a team mate was standing in front of you ¬.¬

Hanz
April 28, 2005, 3:03 am
Let me sum up what this entire topic is going to turn into...

"Barrettards! Oh no, I can't kill someone that shoots a bullet every 5 seconds!"

"I can't compensate with any of the other 9 weapons, the barret is lamzor, im not skilled enough to kill someone with it, don't add anything to it, I will cry!"

This is just going to turn into a big bash on the barret, if the barret is really something that you can't overcome, play with some bots and stop playing online. Either put up or shut-up.

Im all for this idea, im a proud user of the barret, and a proud killer of barret users with 9 of the other primary weapons. I would love the challenge of people with this ability, its just something that will make me a better player in the long run...

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 6:57 am
No one really said this was.. Hanz, this isn't an arguement about the barrett. I simply stated that some users do not use the sniper line as I do not believe it shows the current bink on your Soldat. It should not be so that everyone will have to use the sniper-line to get the advantage.

Now who's gone and turned this into a barrett thread, hmm? You could have cut off every portion of your post except the last few sentences.

Besides, I believe this suggestion is somewhat selfish as Futile himself states:

quote:.. I would have better gameplay if I knew my bullet won't be wasted on a hidden bullet-collider ...

If only users of the sniper-line get this (while sniping!) then what's the improvement? This wouldn't help people who just use the plain cursor, so it wouldn't improve the gameplay for anyone except:

1. Those who use the sniper line
2. Those who snipe

If you're afraid of a hidden bullet-collider taking your bullet, then practice in the map a bit and learn where all these hidden colliders are. I swear to Jesus I've never seen a hidden collider jump up and grab my bullet out of the air but it's been awhile since I last played Soldat so by all means, I could be wrong. Besides, not only will knowing where all these secrets are make your gameplay better, but you will be a better player for your practice and determination.

m00`
April 28, 2005, 8:56 am
the sniper line is stupid and it shouldnt've been placed into soldat, all thanks to a guy that couldnt speak english and took 10 pages for people to relise what he was talking about, then micheal came and decided its a long topic so it must be good, and decided to put it in soldat -_- does anyone else emember this? i remember NC was a big part of translating what the guy was saying :P

Futile
April 28, 2005, 9:40 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_Lazuli[...]

I don't like it. Some people prefer not to use the sniper line and they wouldn't get the advantage.

[...]

Why not make the aim-cursor smarter too? The sniper line is pretty and all, but those who don't use it could have their cursor turn red if anything blocked the path of the bullet.

As for "some people don't get the advantage"-part; I don't believe that's a reasonable argument at all. There are - and should be - tactics, settings and strategies that are more effecient than others. Players have to make their own decisions and balance the pro's and con's of these.

Some people might not play with "distant battle"-turned on, even though it gives a huge advantage. Some people might not play with "explosion effect" - since it cripples them for a short time after an explosion. Some people don't play with the AK, even though it's horribly overepowered (according to some).

If people don't use the sniper line - it's their loss.

m00`
April 28, 2005, 9:46 am
what do u mean its their loss? the sniper line is a bloody line stretching from ur soldiers gun to the cursor, i dont know who would want that annoying thing other than people that use a barret, whether you use the sniper line or not things should be fair, if you read my topic about reducing people using sniper line you would see that it is fair either way, use sniper line, have better aim with barret, but let people see were your aiming, dont use sniper line, no great accuracy with the barret, but people cant see were your aiming.

this is the fairest solution, the sniper line is a gay pice of junk [IMAGE] thingy

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 11:49 am
i agree with hanz

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 12:18 pm
It's just like saying " I don't want to aim. All I want to do is watch to see if my cursor is red or not. Red = Shoot, otherwise don't."

This would not make the game better. It would be like one of those rapid-response tests. Press that mouse button when the light turns red, or you die!

Part of Soldat is being able to hide in those bushes, or stand in that shadow, and creep up to someone without him waving his mouse around like some goddamned toothless redneck swatting a fly yelling "I SEE YOU FOR MY CURSOR IS RED NOW YOU R DEAD HAHA".

Do you get my point now? Eventually it'll just be people waving their cursors about just to catch that red blip.

Explain to me how implementing this will improve the game. I want to hear your reasoning. I don't want "It would be neat" or "In real life" or "realistically", that's bullcrap. I think that if you can't play well enough to notice that: 1. There's a hostile Soldat in front of you, and 2. You should probably shoot him, then no improved sniper line is going to make the game any easier for you.

Implement this sniper line, and you strip Soldat of so much more.

Comparison:

Pros:
Sniper Line Improved

Cons:
Stealth factor lost, making CTF matches less strategic
Predator mode becomes useless as you can just wave your magic wand around and see where everyone is at
No one will use the cursor anymore as the sniper line will be easier to see
Skill will become something provided for you by the game rather than attained through practice and determination

And finally:

The cursor already turns red when you've placed it over an enemy you can see, sniper line or no. What is the big issue?

Futile
April 28, 2005, 1:07 pm
I believe that you have missunderstood my suggestion.

I want it to indicate if I am aiming at something the bullet can not reach due to an object being in my line of fire. If I snipe, I might be two screens away with my cursor. How am I supposed to know if a teammate steps in, right in front of me? If I am sniping close to the ground, perhaps in cover behing a crate or barrel, I wont know if I can shoot through it or not until I try. Dont argue that I should know the maps, cause there are a lot of (illogical) custom maps around. Sure, I can fire a test-round, but it would give me away. Besides, irl I would know if I can shoot next too the barrel, or if it is in my way.

I only want an indicator that tells me of anything is blocking the aim. An enemy should not be treated as an obstacle. Meaning that I did not intend the "radar"-functionality you talked about.

Or in the word of Keron Cyst:
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI would really like the cursor to turn red if a friendly gets in your way. It's really annoying to commit suicide from your own 'LAW only because a team mate was standing in front of you ¬.¬

Green Barret
April 28, 2005, 2:00 pm
I find it not needed as if you have problems with the terran, you should practice until you get better.

Other than that, this would be useless. Even the barret doesn't shoot as straight as the sniper line, so whether the line changes color or not according to the line being blocked won't help much because sniping(which is what the barret is for) requires you to caculate the drop of the bullet, therefor making the line(that does not show that droop the bullet has) as good as nothing.

It might improve your short range performance, but aiming the barret close range is pretty easy so its not need there either.

Futile
April 28, 2005, 2:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by Green BarretI find it not needed as if you have problems with the terran, you should practice until you get better.

Other than that, this would be useless. Even the barret doesn't shoot as straight as the sniper line, so whether the line changes color or not according to the line being blocked won't help much because sniping(which is what the barret is for) requires you to caculate the drop of the bullet[...]

The bullet deviation from the sniper line is _very_ small at close range. Which is exactly what I am talking about. Like if someone sits down in front of you. This is not a skill-thing. It's just a damn (and uncessary) nuiscance.

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 7:09 pm
this sounds like a very controvesrsial thread. in my opinion it doesn't seem like it would make the game any better

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 11:44 pm
i still like this idea because i love the barrett

Dathker
April 29, 2005, 12:25 am
the truth is that this "addition" would have no effect on the game what so ever, this is becasue you bullet - no matter what gun - will stay exactly on the sniper line. if you say the barret does, then you shall be flamed and you should stop playing soldat all together becasue you have disgraced what the meaning of "to play soldat" is.

Deleted User
April 29, 2005, 8:12 am
It sounds to me like you're just wanting Soldat to tell you when someone is standing in front of you while you're sniping, which is unfair.

If you're too busy trying to snipe to see the guy, that's -your- problem.

Futile
April 29, 2005, 10:55 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliIt sounds to me like you're just wanting Soldat to tell you when someone is standing in front of you while you're sniping, which is unfair.

How (the hell) is it unfair?!

Deleted User
April 29, 2005, 11:00 am
this idea is really lame, this would only attract more barret [IMAGE] IMO

m00`
April 29, 2005, 11:05 am
quote:Originally posted by dascooi still like this idea because i love the barrett

see what i mean, only people who use barret/ruger like this idea because they are sniper line wh0res, and having a sniper line as a barret user is terribly unfair

cooz
April 29, 2005, 11:37 am
quote:Originally posted by m00`
see what i mean, only people who use barret/ruger like this idea because they are sniper line wh0res, and having a sniper line as a barret user is terribly unfair

hmm? im playing with ruger and i dont like this idea, besides with ruger u have to aim about 1cm upper than enemy is, so for me it's also useless :P

make NoSniperLine=1 default in next soldat version !

Deleted User
April 29, 2005, 11:48 am
does the sniper line turn red when it's in front of a wall or a collider, or a person?

m00`
April 29, 2005, 11:55 am
are u paying any attention to this thread at all? omg!
you just said you liked the idea and now your asking if it already exists, wtf?? :/

Captain Ben
April 29, 2005, 12:13 pm
The sniper line just makes the cross hairs smaller and adds a line. Some people with aiming disorders need it.

Keron Cyst
April 29, 2005, 3:35 pm
I don't see why it needs to be changed at all (I've already posted my reasons twice).

quote:Originally posted by Moo`
... only people who use barret/ruger like this idea because they are sniper line wh0res, and having a sniper line as a barret user is terribly unfair
Uh, all it does is show where the cursor is in relation to the soldat. It otherwise doesn't help at all due to projectile gravity (mentioned before at least 5 times, proba'ly).

m00`
April 29, 2005, 11:15 pm
it still helps point to the exact person your trying to get

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 3:46 am
quote:Originally posted by Futilequote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliIt sounds to me like you're just wanting Soldat to tell you when someone is standing in front of you while you're sniping, which is unfair.

Because then all I'd have to do is sit there and wait for the cursor to turn red. Part of sniping is paying attention to your surroundings and being focused and attentive.

Green Barret
April 30, 2005, 5:15 am
Hey stop about that "barret/ruger whore" thing! I use the barret too(actually all weapons well) and im no whore. No one's a whore here.

Futile
April 30, 2005, 9:46 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_Lazuliquote:Originally posted by Futilequote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliIt sounds to me like you're just wanting Soldat to tell you when someone is standing in front of you while you're sniping, which is unfair.

Because then all I'd have to do is sit there and wait for the cursor to turn red. Part of sniping is paying attention to your surroundings and being focused and attentive.

It seems to me that you are still not getting it. It is not supposed to highlight/denote/react to targets. It is supposed to light up if there's an obstacle in the way.

Target = enemy soldat.
Obstacle = any bullet-collider that is between the soldier and his cursor.

Get it?

lastpatriot
April 30, 2005, 11:58 am
That kind of takes the fun and suspense out of it. When I snipe(which is once every 10,000 games. I did this when I first started playing.) I liked, and still do like, the suspense that maybe I'll kill the guy, maybe I'll hit the wall. If I do hit him, he won't see me, for I am the Sniper, fear my wrath!!!

Okay, mainly this short experience taught me to use the Autos.

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 12:56 pm
Futile:

Just put the tip of your gun past the top of the cliff you're shooting from. Done deal.

Besides, in this topic, you say you want it to tell you when someone is in the way.

Contradicting ourself, aren't we?

Dathker
May 2, 2005, 11:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by m00`quote:Originally posted by dascooi still like this idea because i love the barrett

excuse me, but i don't like the idead and i use a ruger but i also don't use a sniper line...

m00`
May 3, 2005, 7:09 am
your cool then :p

SuperKill
May 3, 2005, 12:20 pm
what's all the whining about anyway? its not like the sniper line actually works.

Cookie`
May 12, 2005, 4:48 am
quote:Originally posted by m00`the sniper line is stupid and it shouldnt've been placed into soldat, all thanks to a guy that couldnt speak english and took 10 pages for people to relise what he was talking about, then micheal came and decided its a long topic so it must be good, and decided to put it in soldat -_- does anyone else emember this? i remember NC was a big part of translating what the guy was saying :P

m00 :P That guy was the man :P No one who posts here has been around long enough to know what your talking about :P Anyways I like the sniper line occasionally if I havn't played in awhile :P
It gives me an idea of where my soldat is in relation to my crosshair and what angle and arc it will be :
Neways on topic!
I dont think its a great idea to change sniper line :P

Captain Ben
May 12, 2005, 8:04 am
If it pisses you off so much, edit your barret in paint and add a sniperline. My friend did it and it worked wonders for him, though when he showed me at his place, it was retarded! Lines everywhere!!

Keron Cyst
May 12, 2005, 8:35 pm
I tho't about something like that, but wouldn't that make the line still show pointing upwards when you pull out your Secondary? :-P

Deleted User
May 12, 2005, 9:39 pm
You could make it a laser sight or somthing to that effect. I know a friend who did that too

Maxx
May 14, 2005, 2:51 am
Bad idea, leave it alone.

Captain Ben
May 14, 2005, 3:02 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI tho't about something like that, but wouldn't that make the line still show pointing upwards when you pull out your Secondary? :-P

Yeah. That did happen, and they go through polys as well, not forgetting that they're not even accurate. If you put a line on the helmet, you can tell where players are looking. If they use a helmet :P

0xSilentx0
May 14, 2005, 4:12 am
I thought Barretards didnt need sniper lines..."Us barretards r teh 1337!!We own noobs"

UltraMagnus
May 15, 2005, 10:16 am
i really like this idea, it would make soldat feel just that little more of a professionally made game

Deleted User
May 17, 2005, 5:35 pm
Captain Ben, you can tell where players are lookin by where there gun is pointed :p

Back to the topic, I don't like this idea. If you're havin such a problem with sniping, DON'T SNIPE.

Also, I use Ruger, without the sniper line, and I'm not a whore.