( search forums )
particle-based sound (and more)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
zyxstand
April 26, 2005, 11:39 pm
i konw - this is probably not necessary - but this is only if room for additional features - this is especially good for realitic mode - if not ONLY good for realistic. the idea is to have sound effects that quiet down if its further away - and although it does that already, it should be dependent on polygons in the way. so in a tunnel it'll be easier to know when a person is coming - and footsteps therefore should also be quite a bit louder of course!
in order to create this polygon-depndent, it should be particle-based (as most good features are (ie: peeing)).
another good idea as well would be having the curor light up dpending on from where the soldier hears the sound. this means if a person is makign noise from what seems to be the right, the right side of the cursor should light up. -OR- the cursor side should light up depending on where the sound is relative to the cursor's position. and the further away the sound comes, the less the cursor will light up...

http://www.freewebs.com/zyxstand/index.htm
this example shows three ways of doing this....personally, i prefer the third one...

EDIT:
and tell which one you ppl personally like (1, 2, or 3)

Lt. Sneezy
April 28, 2005, 12:31 am
Assuming you aren't playing a 1v1, there would be sound from multiple directions at all times, so I don't see how this would be useful. And in realistic, part of the fun is that you don't know where people are.

zyxstand
April 28, 2005, 1:06 am
well yea - but that's a bid too hard...a little hint would be better. and you'd also rly notice the arrow if you are still and not moving - that way you can hear things further away - like ur focusing...

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 1:46 am
I kinda like the sound as it is. Not too harsh, but not so faint that I can't hear what's going on a screen away. I don't want to hear that guy three miles down the tunnel drop his feces on the ground when he dies.

Lt. Sneezy
April 28, 2005, 1:51 am
I always thought you just dropped your weapon...

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 12:30 pm
I like this idea and it could be cool in REALISTIC ...I agree at 100% :D

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 2:42 pm
Seems unnecessary to me. It'd be nice to hear people coming sometimes, but alot of the time you're just gonna run into them in a couple seconds anyways. Besides, part of the fun of Soldat is the unpredictability of it.

Keron Cyst
April 28, 2005, 3:49 pm
Yeah, I agree with Swazo; it's not a bad idea at all, but the game's just too fast-paced for it (except for, maybe, campers in ctf_Equinox :P)...

zyxstand
April 28, 2005, 9:00 pm
well, usually if a ctf game is realistic it most of the time is also survival - and when ur the east standing on ur team and ur scared, you'd seem to be trying to find out where he is...and if you think that soldat is a fast-paced game then ur right - then your cursor doesn't who enemies' sounds. but when ur still and afraid someone might come then you might camp somehwere around the base to be careful...then you can choose to quietly listen for footsteps and if he is just falling in 9like in ctf_equinox), then you'll get a good surprise if he don't use his jets (till late...)

and lapiz, you don't hear enemies anyways if they're far away so your cursor will prolly just light up very slightly...unless you use the third mode...