( search forums )
Connection Problem.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
noorg
April 27, 2005, 5:42 pm
Hi.

My connection to many soldat servers is quite bad. I followed the incrustions from the "Optimizing your connection" Thread but it didn't help me.

Here are some details about my machine and the results of the tests:
* SpeedGuide.net TCP/IP Analyzer
TCP options string = 020405b40103030201010402
MTU = 1500
MTU is fully optimized for broadband.
MSS = 1460
Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.
Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 1460
RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits (scale factor of 4)
Unscaled Receive Window = 365

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8) #### rwin not valid with this value
256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4) #### actual value
128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
64240 (MSS x 44)
bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 58.4 kbps (7.3 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
Your RcvWindow limits you to: 23.36 kbps (2.92 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
Consider increasing your RWIN value to optimize TCP/IP for broadband.
MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON
Time to live left = 115 hops

TTL value is ok.
Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

* Download / Upload Bandwidth Test Results
Download speed: 846 kilobits per second
Upload speed: 376 kilobits per second

Advertised connection speed: 10 MBit Down-/Upload

* My PC: P4 1,4 GHz, 256 MB Ram, Nvidia GeForce2 MX 100/200, harddisk: WD400BB 7.200 RPM

My Ping is good. Normally one of the best on almost every server (16, 33, 50). My connection was better in the past, but it did become worse.

I hope someone can help me.
noorg

Deleted User
April 27, 2005, 11:17 pm
Are you using cable or DSL?

Cable connections are usually shared or boxed, meaning that during peak hours your connection is shared with other users by an exponential amount. However, it could just be the server you're trying to play on. Try a few others, make sure any automatic update programs or spyware is removed from your PC, and then see how well your connection works.

noorg
April 28, 2005, 11:21 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliAre you using cable or DSL?
Nothing of both. I do have a Standleitung. This is a german word - I don't know whats the correct word for it in english. Maybe dedicated line or leased line.

My connection is sharded with some other users (max. 300 people), but I don't think that this is the point. Even in peak hours the connection speed is very fast (see download/upload test taken at about 6pm) and I have at any time a bad connection to soldat servers.

I don't have spyware on my PC and I don't believe that too much automatic update programs (should be < 5) are using my connection.

Unfortunatly switching servers doesn't help. I have this phenomenon on any server.

ntl thx for your answer.
noorg

Mini Man
April 28, 2005, 7:39 pm
Do you use wireless?

EndertheXenocide
April 28, 2005, 9:21 pm
Mini Man, did you look up what Standleitung is? It is not wireless, it is kind of like a DSL. Didn't read enough into that type of connection to tell you more about it.

noorg
April 29, 2005, 7:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by Mini ManDo you use wireless?

No.

Ok. I found another work for Standleitung. Probably you can compare it with a internet backbone. It's a direct connection to the internet without a ISP (internet service provider) between your PC and the internet. A lot of servers, universities, big enterprises, military,... do use such connections.

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 3:36 am
Perhaps the university/server/etc is now running some software or such that is .. utilizing the connection?

noorg
April 30, 2005, 8:11 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliPerhaps the university/server/etc is now running some software or such that is .. utilizing the connection?

That is for sure (at least some server are running) but I don't believe it would influence my connection. The university is connected to the internet with a 120 MB connection. So many, many people/programs should be able to use it without influencing my connection to bad.