( search forums )
Soldat Clone! *WTF*
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Green Barret
April 28, 2005, 10:50 am
I've just discovered this game today, and as you can see from the pics in the link, this game is a total copy of Soldat.

*EDIT:PICS*

http://sstatic.naver.com/keypage/image/game/gunster/s_m1.jpg

http://sstatic.naver.com/keypage/image/game/gunster/s_m2.jpg

http://sstatic.naver.com/keypage/image/game/gunster/s_m6.jpg

These days Korean gaming companies(including the makers of this clone) are producing rather spectacular remakes of some fun and classic games. One such game is KartRider, a huge hit here at Korea, which is(obvious once you play it) based off Mario Kart(but much more fun, up to date and action packed), but I was really suprised to see that they even copied Soldat!

Although Korea has some superb and unique RPG games, I feel bad that Korean companies can do nothing much more than recreate classics and not make creative games of their own in terms of genres other than RPGs.

This also reflects how fun and international Soldat is. I'm on one side sad that Korea's gaming industry can't do something imaginative, yet on the other happy for how large and popular Soldat has become.

Man, MM is pretty ingenius for making a game so fun like this that it's being copied!

.alex.oner.
April 28, 2005, 10:57 am
do you not think they get there idea from worms perhaps?

m00`
April 28, 2005, 10:58 am
how is this a clone? the link you specified doesnt even have screenshots btw..

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 10:58 am
Or Liero.

Green Barret
April 28, 2005, 11:19 am
The link must not work(it's Korean)... Anyways, i just played it and its a complete copy, a 2D multiplayer game with the weapon menu consisting of Deagles, MP5, AUG, Dragonov, Minimi, M79, LAW, flame god and other all too familiar weapons. The keys are very similar, and there is JET in it that looks strangely like Soldat. Game modes are CTF, DM and INF. There's even a predator mode in it!

The more i look at it, the more it looks like a clone. Come one, there isn't a single game with all these feature except Soldat. And when i went into the game, there was even a server named SOLDAT. The evidence is overwhelming.

+EDIT: The funny part is that this copy has nothing of Soldat's simplicity. The reason i will not play this again is because it took me more than 3 minutes to load a 8 player game. It doesn't even take 5 seconds on Soldat.

April 28, 2005, 11:48 am
Screenshots, please.

Kazuki
April 28, 2005, 1:12 pm
Heh, if the way you described it is correct, it seems like a direct mix between Soldat's gameplay and Gunbound's graphics.

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 1:51 pm
Oh noes, Half Life 2 is copying Wolfenstein 3d!!!

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 2:03 pm
Where can I download it? It looks like some nice graphics, is there and english version?

Green Barret
April 28, 2005, 2:14 pm
I'm afraid there isn't any English version. Graphics are ok, but it doesn't have Soldat's smoothness. Oh, and its in closing beta stage right now

Felix
April 28, 2005, 4:17 pm
omg copied! :-/

don't play at this game, let's play Soldat!

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2005, 4:27 pm
...so its a 2d sideview game... there is a reason they have a category of games called that

(because there are a bunch of them)

peemonkey
April 28, 2005, 4:40 pm
where's a download link? may as well see it
this might be similar, but not a clone. if it were a clone it'd look much much more like soldat.

PureGrain
April 28, 2005, 8:28 pm
With a little research, I found this.

http://gunster.hangame.com/

Google was no help, but I followed some links back too it.

***EDIT***

Oh my, look at this screen shot they offer.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

peemonkey
April 28, 2005, 9:15 pm
oh what the [IMAGE]? that aint cool. they DID remake soldat. that's just....yea
EDIT: cant find the download...

N1nj@
April 28, 2005, 9:30 pm
where can I get this game? I can't find where to sign up..

peemonkey
April 28, 2005, 9:36 pm
"DRAGUNOV
Won syas! Won khil! The shooting gun which has a absurd destruction power with pronoun"
gotta love google's translator :D
there's a flash link to "files" but neither link is a link.

N1nj@
April 28, 2005, 9:42 pm
You suppose to sign up for it, but I can't seem to register....

btw, those screenshots are posted from the screenshot message board i think...not actual in game pictures

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2005, 10:05 pm
anyone on here know enough to translate some of the page?

chakapoko maker
April 28, 2005, 10:08 pm
i have been thinking this kind of thing will happen somewhere... as gamenews written in Chinese, i don't know it, the beta test will begin at the end of the month and the release will be in the third quarter.

peemonkey
April 28, 2005, 10:17 pm
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.joyyang.com/news/Dchn/kor/2005/04-14/5D731555-0671-D7BF-7F71-5D72B19E4F93.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.joyyang.com/news/Dchn/kor/2005/04-14/5D731555-0671-D7BF-7F71-5D72B19E4F93.html%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

longest url ive ever seen (copy and paste if it doesnt work)

chakapoko maker
April 28, 2005, 10:28 pm
so here's the translation by the google. long.
quote:
" Gunster " the 2d leisure class game will be public in Hangame
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time: In 2005 04 months on 14th 14:37:26 Origin: Scorching sun game network Chief-editor: joylemon [ Collects this page ]

The NHN14 date expresses leisure plays " Gunster " in the end of April through hangame the public 2d, strengthens the leisure type game.

" Gunster " is 2~8 plays the family in request many kinds of strategy in the and so on the metropolis, glacier background uses beats with booster, with snatches attacks the opposite party leisure game, retained recently becomes the human spirit the FPS game complex operation method and the weight feeling. Specially in " golf king ", " absolutely you advocates " after is published " Gunster " is NHN the ambition which prepares in more than 1 year of time does.

" Gunster " will start in the end of April to carry on the 1st internal test, will start in the 3rd season officially to serve.

The Qihoo wonderful #29733; whole world Chinese discussion forum is succinct
The correlation downloads:
Content TitleTime foreword Related foreword

Exempts the responsibility states: The scorching sun game network prints this article does not represent agrees its view or the description, only is provides more references!
Related news:

Net friend message:

[ Makes commentary ] [ Examination commentary ]

With name of head of household /IP: Anonymous publishes
Commentary content:
Submits my message
Asks you to pay attention
Respects the on-line morals, observes " the national Standing Committee of the National People's Congress about maintenance Internet security decision " With " Internet electron announcement service management stipulation " And People's Republic of China other each related law laws and regulations.
Strictly prohibits the publication harm national security, harming the national interest, the destruction national unity, the destruction country religion policy, the destruction society is stable, the insult, the slander, instigates, to be obscene and so on the content work.
The user must undertake the corresponding legal responsibility to oneself in the use scorching sun game network service process behavior (is direct or indirectly causes).
The home station editor has the power retains, edition or in deletion network friend commentary free content.
In the home station all articles copyright turns over to the original text author and the scorching sun game net together all, any person needs to reprint in the home station the article, must get collect requisition the original text author or the scorching sun game net authorization.
This commentary submit speech purely is individual opinion, has nothing to do with with this website standpoint

peemonkey
April 28, 2005, 11:48 pm
green berret said he's palyed it, why wont he respond? :D

JiggaBlue
April 29, 2005, 12:03 am
This is without a doubt a clone.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

Deleted User
April 29, 2005, 12:04 am
MM SHOULD SUE THESE PPL COPYING SOLDAT!!!!!! does it have blood ang gore like soldat or is it just no nothing? I bet people would like soldat better because more people on it

FliesLikeABrick
April 29, 2005, 12:19 am
are you sure that he isnt just advertising soldat on his game page? id like to have someone translate it for us before jumping to conclusions

Deleted User
April 29, 2005, 12:33 am
I think MM would prolly be flattered. After all, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

JiggaBlue
April 29, 2005, 12:45 am
Really flies, lets be serious. Look at my pics, the first is right off the front page and the second is there screenshot section. why would they advertise it there?

N1nj@
April 29, 2005, 1:14 am
i think those are just screenshots that were uploaded by other users in that community

Cookie`
April 29, 2005, 2:36 am
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@i think those are just screenshots that were uploaded by other users in that community

Ninj@ owned u guys... plus there jets are on there backs wtf is that! everyone knows its all about jet boots

can someone help me figure out how to register? :P

edit0 those screens are fake dont post crap like that to make them look bad :P

N1nj@
April 29, 2005, 3:37 am
yup, that game indeed looks good, dont bash it :P

i figured like half of the blanks out...talk to me cookie on msn

Green Barret
April 29, 2005, 8:24 am
There isn't any way for non-Koreans to play because you have to make an id using your registration number, which is issued only to Koreans. It's sort of a driver's license, which are given to Koreans once they are born.

@Jigga: Those are fake pics or those pics have been erased. I couldn't find them there. And that area is where users upload pics. No more Soldat advertising conspiracy.

As for translating, there is nothing there but guides on how to play the game. It said nothing about Soldat.

According to official news, Gunster was designed for simple yet fast action fast action. Thats all i could find about. But i'm telling you, once you play it you'll notice a lot(maybe too much) of similarities with Soldat.

zoldat
April 29, 2005, 9:26 am
AAAAAAAAAAAA i wont to try is it looks graet but soldat is more simple in the design and i like taht
but still... i wont a english version og gunster :'(

EDIT: i go learn korean

Liquid Metal
April 29, 2005, 9:31 am
...... Some1 make a mod for Gunster already? Btw whats this crap its telling me to install wen I go 2 the site?

Green Barret
April 29, 2005, 9:58 am
quote:Btw whats this crap its telling me to install wen I go 2 the site?

Ah, thats an auto installer that installs and updates games automaticly. Common in Korean internet game sites.

@zoldat: I know thats a joke, but Korean is really easy to learn. It was created by King Sae Joong who realised that an easy and simple language was needed to teach the common people. He created one in 1446 that had letters shaped as the tongue made the sound. It's scientific in every aspect, which is hard to see in a world where most languages were created with not much thought and changed somewhat by time(Latin+Greek+other languages = English). Korean is easier to learn and use because of this.

flab
April 29, 2005, 10:07 am
lol @ http://gunster.hangame.com/gameguide.nhn?m=weapon :D

Deleted User
April 29, 2005, 10:57 am
If you guys can figure out how to register, I'd love to give this a try.

Deleted User
April 29, 2005, 11:59 am
how do you download this game and whats the syst requirements?

Captain Ben
April 29, 2005, 12:21 pm
Really cool. Post website please.

LazehBoi
April 29, 2005, 12:22 pm
Looks more like Metal Slug than Soldat, really.

chakapoko maker
April 29, 2005, 3:44 pm
i can't register. some info about it...

-Gunster is one of hangames that is like Shockwave.com and serve free/charged games, might use a browser to play.
-hangame demands your social number that is 13 digit number like;

11/22/33 - 4/55555/6

1 84 of 1984
2 month
3 day
4 male=1/female=2
5 area code
6 check digit

-my very original numbers won't go well
-tired

edit:
forgot linking to register.pic
http://img135.echo.cx/img135/9500/reg14jo.jpg
http://img135.echo.cx/img135/6334/reg20tg.jpg
http://img135.echo.cx/img135/3237/reg36kw.jpg

N1nj@
April 29, 2005, 9:05 pm
I figured a way to register :D but its illegal tho :X

Deleted User
April 29, 2005, 9:21 pm
:O bda, very very bad, has MM seen this?

peemonkey
April 29, 2005, 9:58 pm
ninja, hook me up teh fial XD

N1nj@
April 30, 2005, 12:06 am
u sure? I am afraid to use it, cause of it is against teh Korean law...might get in jail if u get caught

peemonkey
April 30, 2005, 12:28 am
i was only kidding

hock3y
April 30, 2005, 2:01 am
The guns are the exact same as soldat...

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 2:45 am
isn't this just like advertising another game in a soldat forum? very strange.

n00bface
April 30, 2005, 2:50 am
other games are advertised in soldat forums a lot, like tribes and blockland.

N1nj@
April 30, 2005, 3:28 am
damn, I used kssn generator and it still doesnt work :S

Green Barret
April 30, 2005, 4:58 am
Ok... since you can't register unless you are Korean by law, you guys won't be able to play this game. Sorry ;(. However, i am sending a few members here my Gunster ID so they can try it out. Don't think you'll get picked, i'm VERY picky here.

The strange part is that I thought you guys would dislike a clone of Soldat, but you guys accually even want to try it out! MM must be really ingenius....

Liquid Metal
April 30, 2005, 5:06 am
Wtf? Only Koreans can play? So is it like you only can play online or something?

Green Barret
April 30, 2005, 5:40 am
Yup, only Koreans(unless you get a social number) and only on the internet. No lan feature at all, and you have login on the homepage everytime to play. Someone asked me about lag in the game but in Korea, everyone uses at least an ISDN(mines DSL) so we don't worry about lag.

Also, this game will support a max of only 8 players(!) per server. This also reduces lag problems.

EDIT: System requirements are min of Pentium 3 450MHz CPU, 128 RAM, 56K Modem.

peemonkey
April 30, 2005, 5:45 am
also reduces my wanting to play it O_O

Captain Ben
April 30, 2005, 6:38 am
Maybe Michal M has relatives from Korea. Who knows... maybe his daughter lives there :D

DT
April 30, 2005, 6:53 am
hmm this looks like a cross between soldat code and battlefront's Graphics and interface...
so its true...

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 8:12 am
Id like to try the game, looks good.

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 1:05 pm
as much as the game looks good and will neverf be a popular as it is hard to get into and its obvious flaws i think double M should sue then use the money for himself as a reward for making such a good game, or if were good he could use it to make soldat better. personly i thinbk he should spoil himself silly for his creation :P

N1nj@
April 30, 2005, 1:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by Green BarretOk... since you can't register unless you are Korean by law, you guys won't be able to play this game. Sorry ;(. However, i am sending a few members here my Gunster ID so they can try it out. Don't think you'll get picked, i'm VERY picky here.

The strange part is that I thought you guys would dislike a clone of Soldat, but you guys accually even want to try it out! MM must be really ingenius....
but I do have the korean social number =/ it's still doesn't let me

Meandor
April 30, 2005, 2:13 pm
wannabe korean

N1nj@
May 1, 2005, 5:02 am
I don't wanna be korean, I am proud to be canadians!

i just want their free games :P

enjoyincubus
May 1, 2005, 10:58 pm
It might be a trap. You know, the government pays these guys money to develop an extremely addictive game. Then one day you'll have to register for the Army to continue playing.

In case North Korea gets desperate in the next few years and begins another invasive effort. I bet they will.

Hey, it's a possibility, maybe..

peemonkey
May 1, 2005, 11:39 pm
proud to be canadians...

Green Barret
May 2, 2005, 6:19 am
enjoyincubis, I've never heard of anything like that. I know the Chinese do that, but are you sure about Korea?

Iowa.
May 3, 2005, 6:39 am
The maps seem silimar to some of Soldat's. But, the map variations you could make on 2D, using a simple poly system, like Soldat's...isn't vast. So don't start bashing them on saying the maps are like.

I think it looks very good. I give them credit for it. You guys call it a clone, and a horrible thing. My point of view: it is of same genre, probally inspired by Soldat, and very nicely presented.

Sure some things seem copied like the weapons, but who cares.

Deleted User
May 7, 2005, 3:38 am
is this downloadable or is it a flash game or something

Deleted User
May 8, 2005, 8:57 am
Woot. I want TEST this!!!
Damn only for Koreans??? Arent they weird??? :/

Jamesmax0
May 13, 2005, 3:19 am
LMAO, they have turned soldat into a sugar-coated anime game

0xSilentx0
May 15, 2005, 5:52 am