( search forums )
Remote server admin and dynamic IPs
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
-PetahPan-
April 28, 2005, 3:24 pm
I suggest adding a command that would use an alias instead of IP number in the server's remote admins list, in the following way:

/admip someone.dyndns.org

Many of us have dynamic IPs - when you own a server, it's very annoying to run Soldat Admin utility and update your own IP in the remote admins list every time the IP number is changed by your provider.

This command would be a good solution to the stated problem.

The point of the above is to store whole alias instead of resolving it at the command execution time (like it happens when you use /adm PlayerName - only player's IP is stored, not the player's name).
This way, when a player joins, alias in the remote admins list is resolved to the IP number and compared with the IP of the player that has only just joined. If both addresses are the same server 'knows' the player is an admin.

Tell me what you think.

Greetings,
[SaD]PetahPan

[URL]

Futile
April 29, 2005, 12:07 am
I vote in favor.

FliesLikeABrick
April 29, 2005, 12:16 am
yeah, i thought about this as soon as i started running a soldat server.

but petah, the admin login is also a handy solution to this problem :P

JiggaBlue
April 29, 2005, 12:49 am
Yeah, but not having a command like this also limits giving dynamic ip players admin to your server. There is a huge problem with iping names though, anyone could just put the name on and then they can admin there ip and all that.

-PetahPan-
April 29, 2005, 11:50 am
quote:Originally posted by JiggaBlueYeah, but not having a command like this also limits giving dynamic ip players admin to your server. There is a huge problem with iping names though, anyone could just put the name on and then they can admin there ip and all that.

JiggaBlue, it's not so simple to use someone's alias, because aliases are granted by ISPs OR when you use DynDNS service, you would have to find out user login and password first to 'break in'. Not getting further into any technical details, it would actually be easier to find out server admin password.

quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickbut petah, the admin login is also a handy solution to this problem :P

It is correct... but do you always want to give someone full control over a server? I also think /adminlog command adds an entry to the remote admins list spamming it this way (cos current IP will be replaced by another soon). And why not make life easier? :)

Thanks for your opinions,
[SaD]PetahPan

[URL]