( search forums )
Soldat linux server troubles
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
Glensta
April 28, 2005, 11:52 pm
Okay, so I've read through the stickies, and various other posts on this forum and I've gotten pretty far in setting up my linux server. I've done the proper port forwarding, I can see it on the internet, ping and all, people can join, but I am having a bit of trouble. Whenever I join the game to test it out it is always stuck in free camera mode and no matter what I do I can't begin the match. Right now I'm completely stumped as to what to do, it would be really great if anybody has some helpful advice.

Thanks, Glentsa.

hock3y
April 29, 2005, 12:00 am
Have you tried joining through the router IP instead of the game IP, or through the LAN?

Glensta
April 29, 2005, 12:05 am
Yeah I'm using the router IP to join, but I'm joining from a computer within the LAN. Also I've been trying to connect to the server with the remote admin tool with the router IP, port, and admin password and I can't reach it.

-= Soldat Dedicated Server 1.2.1 - BETA 2.2.8 =-

----------------------------------------------------------------
Caution! This software is still in BETA phase.
Soldat Dedicated Server initializing...
----------------------------------------------------------------

Additional parameters:
./soldatserver port maxplayers config maplist
Example: ./soldatserver 23073 16 soldat.ini mapslist.txt

Hit CTRL+C twice to exit
Please command the server using the Soldat Admin program
Welcome to Soldat 1.2.1
Server name: MVCDS
Server IP: 127.0.0.1 Port: 23073
Connection for file server started. Port: 23083
Registering server @ lobby.soldat.pl
Game server added to lobby server @ 65.113.210.3
Registering server @ selfkill.com
192.168.1.1:2889 requesting game...
Dreadstriker joining game (192.168.1.1:2889)
Exception EInvalidOp in module soldatserver at 08058B4D.
Invalid floating point operation.

okay just copied that, not sure if it'll help any, but it was worth a shot. Oh yeah thats me that was joining the game, that went on for awhile so yeah.

PureGrain
April 29, 2005, 2:05 am
OK, check to be sure you do not have anything in the mapslist.txt file. If you do be sure it is typed correctly.

ctf_mapname :: not :: CTF_mapname

i had a client who done the very same thing and I found this to be the problem.

Hope this helps.

Glensta
April 29, 2005, 2:14 am
Well first its a DM server, but I'm sure I typed it right, but just to be sure...

arena
arena2
arena3
bigfalls
bunker

I had just picked some random maps for test.

AWH_ReApEr
April 29, 2005, 2:30 am
There's your problem, right there. It should be:

Arena
Arena2
Arena3
Bigfalls
Bunker

Remember, Linux is case-sensitive.

PureGrain
April 29, 2005, 2:41 am
;)

I figured that was the problem. Glad we could help. :)

Yay we are good for something today, even if we did lead the little old lady acrss the street into on coming traffic. We hlped you didn't we?

:P

Glensta
April 29, 2005, 2:44 am
Okay, I re-edited the maplist.txt with the correct capitilization, but it didn't fix the problem. I guess I'll go into more detail. So after I get my server up and running I go to my other computer to attempt to join it. It shows an actual ping, which is good, and the map its on all that stuff, It has the corret IP and socket. I put in my password and am accepted by the server. This is where I get troubles, I'm on the server and at the top it says joining game, but I'm stuck in free camera mode, I can't enter any commands, move, open the weapon window or anything. The timer is going down and I can't figure out what could possibly be wrong. Then when I come back and look at the dedicated server it just shows [My name] [IP] joining game and that keeps repeating. That also happens to whoever tries to join the server.

AWH_ReApEr
April 29, 2005, 2:44 am
Are we sure it fixed it, yet? o.O

HOPE SO! =D

[EDIT]
CRAP! Argh, now I'm not sure what's causing it. I tried. Sorry. =(
[/EDIT]

Glensta
April 29, 2005, 3:00 am
Ah well, its fine, I've managed to bs my way this far, I'm amazed that I've gotten past the first few obstacles.

[GAME]
Fullscreen=0
Debug_Mode=0
Console_Show=1
Console_Deaths=1
Respawn_Time=300
WaveRespawn_Time=600
Mouse_Sensitivity=100
Play_Music=0
Deathmatch_Limit=30
Pointmatch_Limit=30
Teammatch_Limit=60
Capture_Limit=8
Rambomatch_Limit=30
Infiltration_Limit=120
GameStyle=0
Friendly_Fire=0
Guns_Collide=1
Kits_Collide=1
Play_Intro=0
Loop_Maps=1
Bonus_Frequency=1
Bonus_FlameGod=1
Bonus_Predator=1
Bonus_Berserker=1
Bonus_Vest=1
Bonus_Cluster=1
Time_Limit=20
Survival_Mode=0
Realistic_Mode=0
Weapons_Mode=0
Weapon_1=1
Weapon_2=1
Weapon_3=1
Weapon_4=1
Weapon_5=1
Weapon_6=1
Weapon_7=1
Weapon_8=1
Weapon_9=1
Weapon_10=1
Weapon_11=1
Weapon_12=1
Weapon_13=1
Weapon_14=1
Max_Grenades=4
Random_Bots=0
Random_Bots_1=0
Random_Bots_2=0
Random_Bots_3=0
Random_Bots_4=0
Runs=1
Profile_Default=0
Logging=1
Stationary_Guns=1
End_Screenshot=0
Auto_Record=0
Record_Time=0
Bullet_Time=1
NoSniperLine=0

[GRAPHICS]
Adapter=1
Color_Depth=32
Refresh_Rate=Default
Dithering=0
Swap_Effect=1
BackBuffers=2
Interface_Status_Alpha=200
Gradient_Background=0
Compatibility=0
Antialiasing=0
Texture_Filter=2
Software=0
Bonus_Colors=1
Max_Particles=358
Bullet_Trails=1
Player_Indicator=1
Sniper_Line=1
Weather=1
Interface=Default
Smooth_Edges=0

[SOUND]
Volume=77
Music_Volume=100
Max_Channels=64
Bit_Rate=22050
Output=0
Driver=0
Effect1=1
Effect2=1
Mp3List=0

[NETWORK]
Port=23073
JoinPort=23073
Max_Players=16
Default_Remote_Host=
Game_Password=*****
Admin_Password=******
Connection=Internet
Lobby_Register=1
ASE_Register=0
Lobby_IP=65.169.85.3
Server_Name=MVCDS
Dedicated=1
Clanmatch=0
Internet_Connection=3
Greeting_Message=If it bleeds we can kill it
Server_Info=
ShowRealLag=1
Min_Ping=0
Max_Ping=1000
Filter_Players=0
Filter_Gametype=0
Filter_Dedicated=0
Filter_NoPassword=0
Filter_NoBots=0
Filter_Survival=0
Filter_Realistic=0
Filter_NoBonuses=0
Filter_Weapons=0
Balance_Teams=1
Dont_Forward=0
Vote_Percent=60
Compression=1
Spectator=0
Max_Spectators=3
Spectator_Chat=1
Allow_Download=1

[PLAYER]
Name=Soldier
Main_Color=$001265AF
Pants_Color=$00296938
Skin_Color=16777215
Hair_Color=clWhite
Jet_Color=clWhite
Hair_Style=4
Head_Style=0
Chain_Style=2
Sec_Weapon=0

[CONTROLS]
Left=30
Right=32
Jump=17
Crouch=31
Fire=mb0
Fly=mb1
Grenade=18
Change=16
Drop=33
Reload=19
Chat=20
Prone=45
TeamChat=21
Weapons=15

[BOTS]
Difficulty=50
Chat=1
Raycasting_Quality=12

*edit*
The password to the server is Hawks, I can always change it, but it seeing the problem first hand might help, right now I'm just pulling things out of thin air =/

PureGrain
April 29, 2005, 3:22 am
Clear the mapslist.txt file to blank and restart the server. See if this fixes it. If not then you can forget what we had mentioned above.

Glensta
April 29, 2005, 3:28 am
Nope no change. I'm really starting to feel noobish, its frustrating. This is a really bad question but it wouldn't have anyting to do with no admin being logged on the server would it?

PureGrain
April 29, 2005, 4:15 am
Nope, thathas nothing to do with it. It is strange what your going through. If you are still having this trouble tomorrow, contact me via IM and I will try to help out.

AIM: completronics
MSN: sales@completronics.com
Yahoo: completronics

It has too be something simple though. :P Always is.

Denacke
April 29, 2005, 8:35 am
If this server is in your LAN you have to join it with the servers local IP, not the routers IP.
So when you are inside the lan, join with soldat or soldat admin using the servers internal IP, when you are outside the lan network use the routers ip that forwards to the server.

Glensta
April 29, 2005, 9:50 pm
*update*
Well,I can now join with the admin tool, and have control over the server which is good, but never got a chance to try and join the server outside of my lan, it crashed before I got the chance and I haven't worked on a script to have it restart every time. But the problem of the game not starting still persists. But yeah the problem with the admin controller was using the wrong IP within the network, thanks for that bit of help!

Denacke
April 29, 2005, 11:01 pm
I am currently checking your problem out with my linux box, I'll tell you any updates as soon as possible :)

Glensta
April 29, 2005, 11:11 pm
Allright, I'm gonna work on a restart script sor tat I can see if I get the same problem outside of te LAN. I notice something as I was working on it, whenver I'd attempt a join I'd get the usual unresponsiveness, and when I tried to join again I was still in the game, in the scores and my in-game avatar.

*edit*
Actually I have been having a few weird happenings. Such as the fact that on one computer I can join the server with the admin password, but on my other two I can't join unless I use no password, but It was my server that I joined, kinda weird.

n00bface
April 30, 2005, 12:01 am
First thing you should do is be sure there are no spaces after the names in your mapslist.txt. The most common reason for joining in free camera mode is because of mapslist errors. If everything is fine there, try installing the server somewhere else and running it without changing any settings and seeing if you are able to join. Then you will at least know that it's a configuration error and not a problem with ports/the software.

Glensta
April 30, 2005, 2:40 am
Yup checked the maplist, no spaces or anything. And I ran the server with the exact configuration files on my windows computer and it works, perfectly. Thanks can always be my ded server when I'm out of the house but other than that I'd really like to get this linux dedicated server working. *edit* mind you this is with the LAN IP that I can join, but now that the server is running some where else the ping is now ??? again

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 6:09 am
I would expect this to be a netwoking problem (your stuck in camera mode because your connection to the server has been lost, for example).

Check you have all ports open and redirected as required?

Place the server in the DMZ zone of your router/firewall as a test to see if the server works as expected then.

Glensta
April 30, 2005, 2:01 pm
Yup I put it there didn't help. Can't see my server in the server list now either.