( search forums )
League project (need php person and suggestions)
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Meandor
May 4, 2005, 10:40 pm
The competive scene in soldat hasn't changed for a while now; most popular leagues use somewhat similar settings, and a lot of smaller ones that arise decide to follow these examples. Therefore, I decided to make my own instead of badgering other admins ;)
What I want to start is not something that should replace the current leagues, rather a way to play CTF (and eventually expand to other gamemodes later) with different settings other than those that are always used. Now, the reasons of this thread:
a) I'm looking for someone to help me with the site, specifically a system to keep a table updated with standings and similar. I don't need a script made from scratch, adapting free script(s) would be fine too.
b) Ideas - I'm not short of them, but I'd like to know what actually you would like to see in a league that won't probably be added in leagues such as sctfl or tnl. I mean whole league layout, but also specifics such as server settings, maps, etc.
Also new weapon mods to use are welcome, but please don't whine about them here if arguments come up :P
I have my site to host it, and maybe I can get a server too (but that would be later on).
Currently i have an old rules draft i wrote that some of you might've already seen, the GTL. I planned on starting from it, but it needs some refining. See below.

---

Global Tiers League

Structure

Tiers

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3
Tier 4

Closed Tiers, the order is determined by the month matches outcome.
Every clan in a tier has to play each other with the standard match rules.
1 match per week (3 in total), 4th is used to determine the tier order using finals rules (1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, previous order determined by score obtained in standard matches).
Clans placed at 1st and 2nd advance to the next tier (Clans with those positions in first tier keep their place), while ones at 3rd and 4th regress to the previous tier (Clans with those positions in last tier are out of the league and need to re-take qualification matches).

Total matches per month: 4

Qualification Matches

Every month 2 clans are out of the league (3rd and 4th in the forth tier) and other clans have opportunity to take their place in the successive month (not the same month because the tiers meanwhile are playing their matches, and the qualification winners have already replaced the other clans ? this is to keep the rhythm up so tiers don?t have to wait for qualifications to be over). The qualification matches are done in two simple direct elimination schemes, where clans applying for the tiers are randomly paired.
2*
--
> --
--
> --
--
> --
--
> -- move on to tier 4* -- <
--
> --
--
> --
--
> --
--
There is a maximum of 16 partakers to the qualification matches, if there are less the situation is subject to change.

Total Matches per month: 1-4 (* it is not necessary to play the final match )

Settings

Tier Standards

A standard tier match consists of 6 rounds that last 4 minutes each, and all standard (v1.2) maps have to be played (with the exception of ctf_death) the order and color is not important and can be decided by the players, but if there are arguments on the subject, they shall be played in alphabetical order (ctf_B2b, ctf_Kampf, ctf_Laos ctf_Run, ctf_Viet, ctf_Voland) with teams alternating sides in each match (have a neutral 3rd party flip a coin if also the first team to be on the right can?t be decided). Side = left/right. Each team is supposed to be on the right side 3 times and 3 on the left, not 3 times red and 3 blue.
- All weapons and secondaries are legal except minigun.
- Frequency is set to 3.
- Respawn time 4. Maximum respawn 5.
- Maximum grenades 4.
- No power-ups/bonuses.
- Friendly Fire on.
- Stationary guns are disabled.
- Maximum flag capture limit is 6.
- 3v3, 4v4 or 5v5
- BulletTime and Sniper Line are disabled
- The players are encouraged to make the other team wait as less as possible, breaks in between rounds shouldn?t be more than 2 minutes for organizing and the match shouldn?t take more than 45 minutes overall. Once over 45 minutes from the time the match has been scheduled or the first team has joined the server, a team representative can ask to complete the match another time, if possible (this can be done only in between rounds). The match can also be split in multiple sessions (but rounds can?t be) if decided before the match has started, but the maps/color order stays the same. Also, when starting a match, make sure everyone is ready and make it clear you?re going to start playing the actual match.
- The team with most caps wins the round, gaining 2 points. 1 point in case of a tie and 0 for a loss ? remember that round points sum up to determine the order for final matches.
- Once all standard matches are played, the total points determine the finals order.
Golden rule: Any abuse of soldat functions, bugs, or whatever you can come up that gives you unfair advantage over others is obviously not allowed and will be punished depending on the action, most likely giving a total victory to your opponent on all rounds (12-0). (includes also crashing fastfrag servers)
- Clans unable to play will be contacted by an admin and will give an automatic victory (6-0) to the clan they had to play that week, if they can?t play by time.
- If a clan in tiers keeps being inactive (missing 2 matches or more) or dies during the league, it goes straight out of the league and can only retake his place later on trough qualification matches. All clans in that tier receive a full victory (12-0; if a clan has already played this clan before, it will receive the difference of points from it?s score against that clan to 12-0).
All clans below that clan position slide up by one place the session after, and one more spot is available in qualification matches ? losing finalists from both classification schemes will fight for the place (Sliding only happens at the start of the successive session, and the third clan that qualified comes in a month after like the rest, not when the clan is kicked out ? it stays as an empty space)

Tier Finals & Qualification matches

- The games will be from 3v3 to 6v6
- Round time: 10min
- Frequencytime: 4
- Respawntime: 3
- MaxRespawntime: 4
- MaxGrenades: 5
- Cap limit: 10
- FF and Realistic are disabled
- Every gun is enabled (except minigun)
- No stat guns
- No bonuses
- BulletTime and Sniper Line are disabled
- Each clan chooses 1 map. And on the other clans map, the other clan chooses side. If the other clan wins both maps, it is the winner.
- If both clans win 1 map, or tie them/1 of them, the default map shall be played. So both clans get a chance to choose a map.
- The default map, is actually 1 of these 3 maps (1:Maya. 2:Laos. 3:Voland). So if the 2 clans didnt choose one of these maps for its own map, Maya is played. If the other clans has chosen Maya for its map, and the other has chosen Kampf: Laos is played. And if the other clan has chosen Maya, and the other has chosen Laos, Voland is played.
- The Clans cannot both choose the same map.
- If both clans win 1 round, and 1 is tied, team with most caps chooses another map. Time is set to 5 minutes, in the unlikely event of a further tie, then the other team chooses a map still with 5 minutes of time. Not like it?s going to happen that you have tied again, but if you did, the clan with most overall caps wins.

Deleted User
May 4, 2005, 11:04 pm
too much to read for my soar eyes... but yeah.. we need new leagues :D

flab
May 4, 2005, 11:27 pm
WHATS WRONG WITH TNL!? :P btw SEC has just started for anyone who didn't know, check the link in my sig :P

Also, I didn't read the format, but I think you showed it to me some time ago, is a good idea in principle and I would like to see it in practice :) It's one match a week and I'm guessing its a continous thing, so its not like it would interfer with other leagues, gl if you manage to get it going :)

Cookie`
May 5, 2005, 12:19 am
SURVIVAL TDM LEAGUE... please :)

n/a
May 5, 2005, 12:47 am
Survival sucks. I played today and all there was were two barret campers on each base, and the rest with autos camping areas and spamming ahead until they were certain everyone was dead. Grab flag, run back, respawn, repeat.

Survival's like FF. Should only use it with friends.

Otherwise, the competition of soldat is nowhere near as exciting as the early sctfl days. If you want to be different (and daring) how about no secondaries and no/minimal nades? Too many players rely on their backups (knives up close after missing with their main for example) and carpeting spawn areas with nades, so it'd be a true test on the players.

SCTFL eventually suffered it's standing as a definitive league when people realised the problems or annoyances with soldat at the time - too many barrets, too many autos, etc etc.. no clan cared for such repetitive torture, facing drones of overly similar tactics, and eventually realised that the winners couldn't really be considered the best for exploiting 'easy' skills.
All a matter of opinion of course, but that was the general vibe I got from most players.

Could always issue a rule that only one of every certain 'class' of weapon per team. Everyone takes demos and screenshots anyway so it wouldn't be hard to enforce.

But don't bother with making a league for a weapons mod. Not every clan would be bothered modifying their servers to get a league match done with.

My two cents there. Pick away.

Vijchtidoodah
May 5, 2005, 1:18 am
quote:Originally posted by Captain GranitesticlesToo many of today's 'experienced' players just can't hack the slower more intelligent pace of combat required. Those that do however, get to play a game that rewards those posessing alert senses, reflexes, and tactical awareness.

You were saying...?

Personally, I think it should be survival realistic and everything else is the same. That's probably the only way I would ever join a clan.

Deleted User
May 5, 2005, 1:27 am
Maybe all custom maps, I'm tired of default ones.

Cookie`
May 5, 2005, 2:10 am
realistic suxzor :\

Meandor
May 5, 2005, 5:06 pm
I don't want to take players away from TNL flab :P
And yeah, TDM survival would be really nice.
CG - i think i'll reduce max nades to 3. People aren't going to spam as much as before with FF on anyway, it's too dangerous.

FliesLikeABrick
May 5, 2005, 6:38 pm
Meandor, you speak of needing a php coder in the title... what about it?

Cookie`
May 5, 2005, 8:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by MeandorI don't want to take players away from TNL flab :P
CG - i think i'll reduce max nades to 3. People aren't going to spam as much as before with FF on anyway, it's too dangerous.

You sir are my hero ^^

Deleted User
May 5, 2005, 10:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by MeandorI don't want to take players away from TNL flab :P

Niiiiiiice :D

flab
May 6, 2005, 1:22 pm

Aye I know, leagues can run side-by-side anyway, like TNL + SCTFL... btw whats happened to SCTFL...?

Meandor
May 6, 2005, 4:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickMeandor, you speak of needing a php coder in the title... what about it?

It was in my main post:

quote:
a) I'm looking for someone to help me with the site, specifically a system to keep a table updated with standings and similar. I don't need a script made from scratch, adapting free script(s) would be fine too.

I know how to do simple sites with silly graphics, nothing more.

Deleted User
May 6, 2005, 7:54 pm
quote:btw whats happened to SCTFL...?

http://www.soligy.net/sctfl/ - Website back up, forums not up yet though. ;D

N1nj@
May 6, 2005, 9:10 pm
lol still using my layout

Hitman
May 6, 2005, 10:07 pm
Oh, thanks for that, N1nj@. I was wondering to whom I should direct my e-mail of praise with regards to the website, but after your 'lol, I'm pretending it's funny, but really want to make sure I get all the credit' post, I now know.

N1nj@
May 7, 2005, 12:22 am
stfu if you dont know what happened