( search forums )
Soldat Magazine Issue 2!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Fans - Web Pages
Vijchtidoodah
May 8, 2005, 9:15 pm
It's Out!

Edit: If you have firefox, you may want to make the page full screen by pressing F11.

This site has been made completely in flash. It took a while and mostly served as experimentation to learn how to program what we want to happen before we work on the final layout, but it's definitely interesting to look at and read.

Keep in mind that we're still figuring out how we want things set up. This style is completely different from the one that we had last issue, and the next issue (who's page is already almost finished) will be completely different from this one (but more on that later).

You may notice that a few sections are missing, that's because we couldn't wait for people to produce their work any longer, so we released it as is.

If you want to check out the source for Flash MX or Flash MX 2004, PM me and I'll send it to you.

As for the next site, it's already in production and takes on a more traditional look. Not only that, but we've learned new techniques to keep the file size and loading times incredibly small (this also allows slower computers to handle the data better). The navigation is seamless and we hope to fill the site up with content as soon as possible. Look forward to the next issue!

STEELIX
May 8, 2005, 9:40 pm
Let me share wiz you a secretz... You can move around teh soldier on the first page!!

=OOOO

Norse
May 8, 2005, 9:44 pm
Link seems to be broken p.p

Vijchtidoodah
May 8, 2005, 9:45 pm
Nope, it was just down for a few minutes. Reload manually if it doesn't work now.

Edit: The host site seems to be having some problems...either that or it's just my compy.

Edit2: Can someone tell me if it's working, because I can't get it to do anything...

Alright, I'm hosting it on n00bface's server now. It should work.

Pulp
May 8, 2005, 10:12 pm
's Working here. Looks great, besides the font ( too large, colour is a bit too bright compared with the dark background ... it kind of reminds me to websites for ppl with poor eyesight (big contrast in the used colours/huge font)). And maybe you'd organise a few things better, cause it looks a bit chaotic ( by example the map-review section ), it just doesn't invite ppl to read the information, i think...

...could be a great website though, in the near future, when it becomes more user-friendly...

Vijchtidoodah
May 8, 2005, 10:14 pm
Yeah, as I said, this was mainly just for experimentation -- you can see how each and every section has it's own navigation style. The new website makes getting around a whole lot easier.

Deleted User
May 8, 2005, 10:25 pm
That was pretty sweet, only thing I didn't like was the close-up shots of the Soldiers in the "Map Review" section. Bleh.

Vijchtidoodah
May 8, 2005, 10:43 pm
Lol, that was one thing that I was supposed to get rid of but forgot about.

Edit: And I was also supposed to fix that spelling mistake that hockey pointed out...

Melba
May 8, 2005, 10:55 pm
incase you didn't know, f11 is fullscreen in both opera AND IE

EDIT: ROFL ROFL ROFLLECAKES Steelix
You douche.

karmazon
May 8, 2005, 11:25 pm
Nice work vijitchoodasomething

Aquarius
May 8, 2005, 11:55 pm
Great work.

hock3y
May 8, 2005, 11:56 pm
Hey, this is cool I read over all the sections and I really like it, hope to see more issues in the future.

Just thought I'd let you know for the map review its ctf_Lanubya not inf_Lanubya

Deleted User
May 9, 2005, 12:47 am
OH nice issue.. hope there will be more coming :D :D :D

FliesLikeABrick
May 9, 2005, 1:55 am
gotta love that sexy interview

Leo Da Lunerfox
May 9, 2005, 2:47 am
Good job team, even though I wasn't here in the second issue (I had SAT testing and all that stuff), I'll definitly try to find time to contribute in a later time. This is truly something great because it got though the hardest part: Making the second issues after the first one. Now the rest will be easier, I think.

Norse
May 9, 2005, 4:55 am
I loved all of the magazine INCLUDING the part at the cover where u control the soldat! Omg next issue make it so u can score in a ctf match against a bot! yea! flash soldat is fun!

Vijchtidoodah
May 9, 2005, 6:39 am
Well, Norse, my programming skills aren't good enough to do that. I could probably make it play the ctf winning sound when you run over the flag, but programming artificial intelligence is well beyond my scope.

I had problems enough getting the little soldat to hit the ground every time (you'll encounter an occasional hit test non-register there depending on your speed and position) which instead of going through the entire code to try to fix, I just set the heights of the polygons so that the little soldat wouldn't have a problem falling through them at that specific height. I could go into much more detail of why he was missing, but that would take too much time...

STEELIX
May 9, 2005, 2:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by Melbaincase you didn't know, f11 is fullscreen in both opera AND IE

EDIT: ROFL ROFL ROFLLECAKES Steelix
You douche.

;_;

I'm sorry Melba... :(
Sweden, Norway, they all look alike..

papasurf31
May 9, 2005, 3:19 pm
I'm glad to see a mod review section. Maybe, instead of Having just one reviewer for the mod, you could have several who compare opinions about the either in a debate fashion or in seperate articles. (i'd like doing that). Or, instead of reviewing one mod per issue, you could do like some of the best and some of the worst. This applies to the map and movies review sections too...

BTW, could I join the staff?

Deleted User
May 9, 2005, 7:59 pm
quote:Sweden, Norway, they all look alike..

wtf is that supposed to mean :/ (norwegian, not SWEDISH)

Outcast
May 9, 2005, 10:00 pm
I like the looks very much...and the reviews looks nice too...should be a weekly issue.

Serpent_
May 9, 2005, 10:12 pm
pretty nice I checked it out

wormdundee
May 10, 2005, 12:06 am
yes, i was thinking i shouldve done more than one mod review

and i definitely had plenty of time to do it, i will see what happens next

Vijchtidoodah
May 10, 2005, 1:07 am
To all of the Soldat Magazine Staff

Make sure you check your email for information about the new issue. It'll be structured differently, so make sure you read and understand what is expected of you.

Deleted User
May 10, 2005, 3:57 am
i like it alot it gives me something to do at school besides my work. wheres the first issue?

Vijchtidoodah
May 10, 2005, 4:31 am
http://www.cjb.cc/members/s-zine/issues.htm

Deleted User
May 10, 2005, 7:43 am
thanx keep those issues going i want a copy of the next one

Unlucky 13
May 10, 2005, 8:25 am
Nice! I really like the layout, and effects and all.
Wheres's the link for the 4Kill movie? I need a laugh, maybe that will get one from me, but your Don't do guide did ;D

Vijchtidoodah
May 10, 2005, 10:37 pm
Selfkill's Movie

If you go to the movie section and either click on the title or the little text that says "Why?" it'll give you a whole explanation of why I chose to write that article.

Gen0cide
May 10, 2005, 11:15 pm
Sorry I've been so busy lately vij.
I'll be ready soon.
Memebers,PLEASE use the forums alot more.

m00`
May 11, 2005, 4:35 am
pretty cool, i hope you continue your awsome work :]

bond_james_bond
May 20, 2005, 12:56 am
NO CARTOONS?? WAAAAH!!

NO CWS??? WAAAH!

Anyways, why you have those sections if nothings in it?

Well, nice job anyways, i love it. But you need more stuff in it... Too empty :P
GJ

?
May 20, 2005, 2:23 am
Awsome.. maybe if I actually do the movie I was playing on making I coudl be interviewed :O

Gen0cide
May 20, 2005, 2:58 am
It's dead.
Vij quit cause nobody was active,me and him were the only people that actually did anything,and compared to vij,I was as useful as a fish with a bike.

m00`
May 20, 2005, 3:01 am
aw why oh.. why :(
it was pretty cool

Gen0cide
May 20, 2005, 3:06 am
Unless someone knows flash and wants to help...

Deleted User
May 20, 2005, 6:12 am
yea, the site is great :)

STEELIX
May 20, 2005, 3:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by Gen0cideIt's dead.
Vij quit cause nobody was active,me and him were the only people that actually did anything,and compared to vij,I was as useful as a fish with a bike.

I did something!

;(

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 6:47 pm
Magazine team dead = topic locked.