( search forums )
Change screen resolution
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Atybrc
May 15, 2005, 11:17 pm
Hi all
If I am not mistaken, now screen resolution of game 640-800, it is possible to increase it up to 800-600 (1024-768 be better :P ) without changing game proportions? My monitor cannot normally work in so small screen resolution (And I think to players it will be much more convenient to play higher screen resolution), I see many unpleasant defects of the image.

p.s. i play in small window mode (my LCD monitor not support fullscreen 640-480)

zyxstand
May 16, 2005, 10:17 pm
good idea - thought it'd be better if all you do is have hjigher resolution of soldiers - not that you can see further (have more of the ap on your screen at once...)

Avarax
May 16, 2005, 10:56 pm
wouldnt that make new bitmaps for each solution necessary?

zyxstand
May 16, 2005, 11:03 pm
SURE - or you can make a LARGE bitmap for everything, and then just use a lower resolution-image of the large bitmap to fit in the smaller resolution....

Aquarius
May 16, 2005, 11:48 pm
This topic was discussed many times before. Next time use search.

http://soldatforums.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10284
http://soldatforums.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4946

SPARTAN_III
May 17, 2005, 2:49 am
but you have to agree that we need a resolution setting....especially for fullscreen

i say have soldat support 640x40 - 1280x800

Deleted User
May 17, 2005, 3:41 am
im all in favor of the screen resolution change but...
wouldnt that make you able to see further into the map?

SPARTAN_III
May 17, 2005, 5:45 am
but that would be a good thing wouldnt it?

i support this idea 110%

Deleted User
May 17, 2005, 6:55 am
its is taken one problem withc it... well peaple with higher screen resolution can see mor of the map, means u can react before others can see u, so if u play against ppl with lower resolution u have the benefit...

the way would be better gfx but im not sure if that helps soldat...

well i think the resolution thingy is a very shiny thing...

onather thing:
high resolution will slow down the game...
on the one way because of the benfit on the otehr hand because like in real life.. u all know flys? u never (not often ;) get cought them because of there eys..

Rhombus
May 17, 2005, 7:01 am
I can't figure out what silentpark just said, but anyway:
imagine some stupid new guy who cant even play soldat normally so he has to camp. He has an überPC, with a 1600-something resolution. He can see very very far. Then, a really good player comes by, can't see anything, and bang, dead.

Keron Cyst
May 18, 2005, 12:34 am
quote:Originally posted by Cleric Achillesim all in favor of the screen resolution change but...
wouldnt that make you able to see further into the map?
You didn't read his post in-depth enough. He wants it to try to remain the same no matter what dimensions (basically, just larger images of everything... and larger polygons, which would be virtually impossible over a multiplayer game...).

dadarkman
May 18, 2005, 3:32 pm
WTF are you talking about? every game has more resolutions, can you see more? nO!!!
can you see it more clearly? YES! I think you guys should go read some computer-newbie-books because you only can see more when the game will allow you to. Will micheal do this? no
Multiplayer a problem? no, because every game you can play online has more resolutions

DT
May 18, 2005, 4:00 pm
why not buy a better moniter... gez
Resolutions are fine how they are... and changes for them would suck.

i am ahab
May 19, 2005, 12:05 pm
ask michael:
http://www.selfkill.com/webv3/content/cms.php?action=showdetails&id=163&title=Frequently%20Asked%20Questions

dt super sonic was teh shizzle!

Deleted User
May 19, 2005, 1:48 pm
I like this idea. It could be not so cool have a litttttttle soldiers :\ BUT! I'd like it ^^

zambo_the_clown
May 19, 2005, 4:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by SPARTAN_IIIbut you have to agree that we need a resolution setting....especially for fullscreen

i say have soldat support 640x40 - 1280x800

Better make that 1600x1200, i like my screen resolution very high.

I have never seen a game show more of an area with higher resolution. i have thought to believe that the numbers just represent the pixel count or making lots of smaller pixels as the resolution goes up. Soldats resolution kinda makes the graphics sometimes look blocky, higher resolution would help smooth some edges but at the cost of maybe editing gosteks and ect... :(

BManx2000
May 19, 2005, 7:43 pm
If you wanted soldat to support higher resolutions, you would have to make new bitmaps for EVERYTHING (scenery, gostek, interfaces, weapons, etc) or it would look like crap. So it's not happening.

Deleted User
May 19, 2005, 11:22 pm
^^Mmm, yeah. Unfortunatly so. I'd love a bigger gostek :-/

Atybrc
May 19, 2005, 11:25 pm
2Aquarius sry...

2silentpark "its is taken one problem withc it... well peaple with higher screen resolution can see mor of the map, means u can react before others can see u, so if u play against ppl with lower resolution u have the benefit..."
No

"high resolution will slow down the game..."
No

2Rhombus Bad reason

2Keron Cyst Yes :))

2DT
i play in game with 3 monitors (LCD Sony 19" - 750$, LG 17" 710PH - 150$, Samsung 19" 910 - 400$).
"and changes for them would suck."
no

2BManx2000 Many peoples can (and i think want) help do it.

Deleted User
May 19, 2005, 11:33 pm
I would like higher res. I really would

b00stA
May 20, 2005, 2:27 pm
I would love to see Michal comment about this to give an end to this.

HYPERFUNKBOT
May 24, 2005, 3:28 pm
If you used the existing graphics, it would look the same scaled up. If you made new graphics with resolutions at like 2000x2000 each and scaled them down to the proper size for each resolution, it'd look great. If you don't use new graphics, you could use that blurring thing that direct3d/opengl games have when you get REALLY close to a wall and can see individual pixels, they aren't squares, they're blurred together. It'd still look better that way. Also, higher resolution wouldn't be forced, it'd be an option. Also, it wouldn't break multiplayer, the internal game coordinates of everything would NOT be changed, simply represented differently graphically. All of the arguments against higher resolution so far have been simply totally incorrect. No offense to the people in this thread or other related threads or Michal in that interview.

Mr.Average
May 31, 2005, 9:57 pm
Hello all, I am noob rank here.:p
Its seems that the resolution has been discussed quite a bit. Now that everyone understands that
1) The resolution change will not affect sighting distances or size of avatars
2) It will take a lot of work to produce new textures,
I would like to add my opinion and say that one resolution boost from 640x480 to 800x600 would be the soldat icing on the cake. You could see the fine details so well, that your eyes would be owned.
That would be the best thing possible and should only be available to registered players of course. As far as I am aware, Michael is the only one who is working on the project and he is obviously busy with it and no doubt, real life issues as well like all of us here.
I have not registered yet but I may one day esepecially for the low price for a game that is worth a lot more potentially.
thanks for reading (zzzzzzzzzz)
bye

Jamesmax0
June 3, 2005, 2:20 pm
I like this idea

HYPERFUNKBOT
April 1, 2006, 4:33 pm
You know, once again, I have to point out, anti-aliasing and interpolation would mean improved graphics at higher resolutions. Compare JDoom (a doom source code modification) running at maximum settings, with the original doom engine running at 320x200. THERE IS A WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE.
[IMAGE]
vs.
[IMAGE]

Same textures, much improved graphics.

Rusty_Screw
April 2, 2006, 1:20 am
I definetally agree with this idea like peanut buttah agrees with jelly