( search forums )
Camping in CTF
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Death Knight
May 20, 2005, 5:09 am
I see a lot fo people complaining about camping and i agree for deathmatch but for CTF i think camping has its place. Its like saying defend the flag but don't hang around it in one place too long. Camping in CTF is defending something rather than hiding to get kills.

What's your opinion

DK

Keron Cyst
May 20, 2005, 5:22 am
I hate morons who camp and sit there even when their flag is easily being carried away. Otherwise, camping's fine with me, as long as it's not overdone.

The Geologist
May 20, 2005, 5:38 am
Agreed...camping is a part of the game, and even quite fun when you pay some attention. Don't let the flag run away, return loose flags, protect the flagger...you can do all of this and camp. Yet people begin to whine and moan when they get picked off by barret shots, especially when *gasp* someone is protecting a flag. Also, slow players ruin the image. It might not be fun, but it's a challenge...is it that bad to deal with it?

Apparently so, because a few servers have these pointless banners like "No camping or kick/ban!". Hosts deny that camping is a part of the game with a passion. Yet instead of removing the barret from the selection they kick and ban people who aren't even truely camping, but crouching to fire their barret. Other times barrets run rampant and nothing is enforced rulewise.

Let people camp in CTF, sheesh.

Deleted User
May 20, 2005, 6:15 am
if you just sit there with a barret it makes you look like a damn moron. camping is part of the game but its a part i dont appreciate.

The Geologist
May 20, 2005, 6:34 am
Exactly how does it make you look like a damn moron, except for your opinion of such people? Done properly a good camper can save a game or hold a lead, in addition to great defense. Camping shouldn't make you look like a moron just because one "moron" can't do it justice. Methinks you don't appreciate it because you don't like getting killed.

Green Barret
May 20, 2005, 8:19 am
Well, serious camping is bad, but most people misuse the word. One time I saw the enemy flag carrier running away, and seeing I was too far to catch him I dropped to the ground to snipe(I had barret). Killing him, people started calling me a camper. I had just been there for like 8 seconds and they call me that.

Please don't get confused with sniping and camping.

Spectral
May 20, 2005, 8:21 am
Camping brought about spraying...so boo

Jiggs
May 20, 2005, 9:48 am
When I first started playing, I didn't like camping at all. I still don't do it that often, but now I like the challenge of trying to kill a camper before he can kill me. If I don't get them the first time, I just keep going back until either they've moved or I've killed them. I've found the M79 to be best suited for that task, because for some strange reason, not all barret users take advantage of the handy zooming feature (Not that I'm complaining or anything).

Captain Ben
May 20, 2005, 10:04 am
It's nice once you finally kill them, though.

frogboy
May 20, 2005, 10:08 am
Camping is fine. It's a nice change from the basic two Minimi + AK.

DT
May 20, 2005, 3:17 pm
campers are ok since thier perfect targets.... like in ctf run you get the flag and go below and thiers 4 fresh campers there... looking away from me... muha ha ha

Judge_Man
May 20, 2005, 4:11 pm
IMO, massive spraying is worse than camping, unless there's a 5 player barret camper team.

I don't have any problem with 1 or 2 camper in a game.

Hanz
May 20, 2005, 4:23 pm
Whats the big deal about spraying honestly, if I see an enemy run off into the distance, im going to spray my ass off and hope it kills him. Im not going to go "Uh oh, he is faster than me and I can't see him anymore, im going to stop shooting". No offense to the mentally challenged, but thats retarded. If someone is running away, im going to shoot blindly into their general direction until I see fit, or until they are dead...it works...stop whining

As for camping, I see no problem with it. Im not a camper myself, but I have done it several times. Campers are just easy targets if you ask me, they are in the SAME SPOT! If you can't kill someone that is in the same spot every time, its you who needs to change or quit, not the camper. The word camper is used so condecendingly, I hate it...

Raptor
May 20, 2005, 5:55 pm
Camping is not bad, everyone has the right to camp whenever they want because the barret was made for that particular reason... so don't hang around and say "I hate campers" whenever you see one...

zambo_the_clown
May 20, 2005, 6:12 pm
heres my opinion, if you can do something without cheating or modifying in soldat then its fine. Defending the flag is fine and you may do it as long as you want. Sniping is not camping b/c you use a sniper rifle (barret & ruger) to sniper and to sniper you have to be stealth and stick to staying in a well sniping position. Since hiding behind scenery is not cheating/hacking it is legal because MM only said in the "AGREEMENT STATEMENT" to not cheat and not anything about hiding, camping, or snipering being illegal. in many games played online like CS, soldier of fortune, ect... people hide all the time to kill and soldat is no different and i see ppl bi+ching all the time in soldat to ppl to stop camping unlike other games. Camping/defending/snipering is strategy and some people are better at that skill than attacking or rushing. What i have said goes for any game type. MM DIDNT SAY IT IS ILLEGAL!!! so deal with it.

PS: i totally agree with Geologist ;)

Keron Cyst
May 21, 2005, 5:37 am
I'd only like to see 3+ people camping if they're winning, because that shows that they're just trying to siege & hold out until the end of the match, but huge groups of soldaten who camp just for the sake of camping really shouldn't...

Cookie`
May 21, 2005, 6:09 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI'd only like to see 3+ people camping if they're winning, because that shows that they're just trying to siege & hold out until the end of the match, but huge groups of soldaten who camp just for the sake of camping really shouldn't...

CIA ^^

Captain Ben
May 21, 2005, 9:03 am
Today, I was on blue, 2 other guys on my team, but on the other side, there was 6 players. They had the blue flag and were all camping around the red flag with barrets. Plain stupid.

y0da
May 21, 2005, 12:29 pm
let us all make an official act that describes camping, spraying, cheating etc...

Hoodlum
May 21, 2005, 2:23 pm
I wouldn't mind if a few people camped but usually when one person camps everyone gets brought in and goes "OMGZ HEZ CAMPIN - IMA GET HIM BAK" then it starts happening with more people who come in and are going to cry about it.

Marine
May 21, 2005, 6:11 pm
I only really see people whine when someone Barrett/Law camps. Whenever someone camps with another weapon, they just get called a noob.

Camping is fine, just not if the whole team does it.

y0da
May 22, 2005, 11:39 am
arg, M72 LAW campish?!

EspaceeMegadeth
May 22, 2005, 1:36 pm
Camping is nice with barret and i also camp sometimes :)

Felix
May 22, 2005, 2:01 pm
let them camp
it's so easy to kill campers.

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 2:23 pm
I played on kampf a little while ago.. I thought I would try a weapon I hadnt used too much before.. the barret :O
and I lay on one of those spikes in the wall or whatever they are, and 4 othrs do the same... it was many people on each team, so I just aimed the barret somewhere and shot random shots.. I got a kill every shot (almost) and one time a double kill with a blind shot that went out of my screen.. it was fun but not someting I usually do... :P

Alakhai
May 22, 2005, 2:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by Felixlet them camp
it's so easy to kill campers.

mmm I think you never seen a pro camping.. it's not so easy to kill coz he changes alwais the position and.. btw let them camp and you'll take a pwn

Jamesmax0
May 23, 2005, 12:40 am
Bad campers are funny to kill. Good campers are a pain in the *** till you get up behind them w/ a m72 :P

Kyklis
May 23, 2005, 1:52 am
Felix, its not easy to kill a wellpositioned skilled camper. I only camp during RS matches, as then it really has a good reason. Sometimes in regular defence too, as it is fun. There was this one guy on the aztec map who always took Spas and Law. He was on blue team, i think ( he started on left side ) and he used the LAW as a mortar and killed at least one person per round with it, and took out nearly everyone who came in with his SPAS. <---- There you go, a well positioned skilled camper is hard to take out.

Deleted User
May 23, 2005, 2:26 am
I think camping is ok in realistic because campers actually defend a base and hold leads. I dont think camping is ok in normal.

0xSilentx0
May 23, 2005, 2:48 am
I hate noobs who say "Ive pwned enough today..Transform to "camping mode""

Deleted User
May 23, 2005, 3:28 am
its fun going against hackers cus there almost impossible to kill and all the n00bs change teams just to go with the hackers.

Kazuki
May 23, 2005, 3:59 am
Camping is just like weapon balance. 1 or 2 people doing it is fine, but 5 is not.

zambo_the_clown
May 23, 2005, 4:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Captain BenToday, I was on blue, 2 other guys on my team, but on the other side, there was 6 players. They had the blue flag and were all camping around the red flag with barrets. Plain stupid.

Fight fire with fire
Heres what you do, if you are fighting some campers that are waiting for you then just camp away from them and let them come to you. ive done this before on an RS server when we played on b2b and it was me and a guy with barret left. i camped at red and he camped at blue and eventually after about 10 min, he came and i got a headshot after 3 hits.

Kazuki
May 23, 2005, 9:43 pm
How about you fight fire with water and try to think up a strategic plan? :)

Have all 3 of you walk in in a line, so that this way one of you is sure to survive and kill the rest while they are reloading. :D Well, maybe that plan might not work, but camping against campers won't work all the time.

zambo_the_clown
May 24, 2005, 3:24 am
think of it this way, 1 vs 2 or 3. all of em are camping except the 1 player, hide in best way possible and wait for em to pass you and strike in the back

Darkfist007
May 26, 2005, 1:40 am
I love camping and it has its rules for it to be a good way to play.
1st rule: get the flag if you can, saving the flag is more important then your cover.
2nd: dont pick up health or nades, it seems strange to say that but I agree with it fully and I follow it fully. If your going to hide in one spot you shouldnt pick up health, it shows your position, and its cheap.
3rd: dont have 2 barrets, thats just cheap.

You should pick up health if your going ot a new spot or your going to rush but thats it, health and nade boxes make nice traps. I see no problem with camping in the same spot on and on, they know where you are and if you can go unseen for the time needed good for you.

Deleted User
May 28, 2005, 11:50 pm
Hmph...

Ya know what, I hate people that camps in a pile of health boxes. And I really hate people that purposly shoves themselves into walls and starts camping in a freakin' wall...

Deleted User
May 29, 2005, 12:02 am
Camping is such a difficult to interprete. Sometimes you are forced to retreat and take up defending positions by a wall of hot lead, then if you stay there too long you get lines like "noob camper" instantly. That irritates me much.
Anyway, camping isn't really forbidden. The game makes it possible, so anyone is authorized to use that "tactic".

Can't say I like Barret Campers, however, or should I say barretards as it seems to be the trend.

Keron Cyst
May 29, 2005, 4:49 am
Heh. Contrary to the mainstream players, I like Barret campers on ctf_Kampf; it tests your speed & accuracy with the rocket launcher (my favorite weapon) :-D

vash763
May 29, 2005, 8:32 am
Camping is fine. I like campers good or bad. Good ones help you improve, bad ones are there for your amusement.

And it's alot of fun to do, especially when people get pissed cause they can't kill someone who doesn't move.

But, I also like it when you get someone with a Barret, that actually moves. I joined a server a couple weeks back with one other guy. And all we did was flying acrobats with barrets in the bottom of Arena and Arena 3 I think, then I had to go. But that has to be my most favorite thing to do in Soldat.

Ok
May 29, 2005, 10:57 am
Camping was annoying in previous to 1.2 since they just were overpowered (the barret campers).
Now in 1.2.1 its just boring, I just take an auto and spray-bink them.
Its really easy to dodge campers, you just need to know when they are going to shoot you.
I suggest camping yourself and see how it goes and then you'll know exactly when they're going to shoot and 0.5 seconds before you STOP and revers step. they shoot, miss and they are all yours.

Thing is Campers after camping long enough in a certin place get used to sniping ppl in a certin place where the shot is easier. like where the ground is straigh or something.

Pimpin`
May 30, 2005, 12:05 am
I think that campin` is a part of the game, especially in CTF mode. Moreover, it is a kind of tactic. Some players are sprayers, another ones are m79jumpers and some are campers. All game-styles are allowed, but the game-style shows us smth about the player ..

vash763
May 30, 2005, 12:55 am
amen

Keron Cyst
May 30, 2005, 3:04 am
quote:Originally posted by vash763... And it's alot of fun to do, especially when people get pissed cause they can't kill someone who doesn't move....

Try trying to get across the northern pathway in ctf_Kampf as Alpha, and a Bravo sniper keeping his cursor in that narrow passage.

Deleted User
May 30, 2005, 10:55 am
Camping is IMO fine, but don't camp 100% of the time. It's both boring and annoying.
Also, move your ass once in a while. Players know after the second kill where you are and how to hit you ;-)
I somethimes like to snipe, but after three kills I'm called a camper... so I usually either continue sniping or leave the server.
Stop (I'll refrain from swearing :-P)ing around and let people play.

vash763
May 30, 2005, 11:19 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cystquote:Originally posted by vash763... And it's alot of fun to do, especially when people get pissed cause they can't kill someone who doesn't move....

Try trying to get across the northern pathway in ctf_Kampf as Alpha, and a Bravo sniper keeping his cursor in that narrow passage.

so you quote:Originally posted by vash763can't kill someone who doesn't move?

Deleted User
May 30, 2005, 5:50 pm
camping is fine. but its annoying when ppl camp on inf_warehouse. like under the steps on the cliff. especially in realistic and they just crouch there with a ruger, and right when you come off the cliff, you die with a headshot. whats even worse is that you can see them because youre facing away from them, and they have their backs to a wall, so you cant kill unless they miss you. even then, if they are using ruger and not barret, they just keep shooting at you, and then theres more ppl in the warehouse spraying at you with minimis, aks, mp5s, and steyrs, all while youre trying to kill that/those f***ing camper/campers. also when you come off the cliff and look down, you dont see them cause theyre under one of those step thingies.

but camping is ok.

vash763
May 30, 2005, 8:22 pm
wow, you must really hate inf_Warehouse eh?