( search forums )
Just a tiny little suggestion...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Rhombus
May 21, 2005, 10:00 am
Dear big and mighty M,
I do not mean to be disrespectful, but I do not quite like the way you coded the knife. I like almost all of it, but there is this tiny little thing what I would like to see changed:
What if, when you throw the knife, the tip (the so called sharp part of the knife) is allways pointed the same direction as it is moving. So when you throw it directly up, the tip is up, and the hilt is on the lower side of the knife. Then it turns around and comes down. But when it touches a wall, well, do whatever you want. I would like to see this in the game because it would give modders a little more freedom. I would like to make a spear for my mod, but it would not look good the way it is coded up to now.

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 3:17 pm
i just thought of a new idea thx to you

Keron Cyst
May 22, 2005, 3:24 pm
Yeah, I'd definitely like this; it may not be very realistic (unless your soldat can really throw; it's possible), but it's currently not realistic how the handle of a knife can kill someone xP

Rhombus
May 22, 2005, 4:02 pm
indeed it isn't. and dascoo, you make me curious, what did you just think of?

Avarax
May 22, 2005, 5:33 pm
also do this with the m79 bullet mighty morphin Michal ;)

Mini Man
May 22, 2005, 5:47 pm
Well...go throw a knife, it spins right?

EspaceeMegadeth
May 22, 2005, 5:49 pm
Can you explain it a bit more,man?

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 6:28 pm
ahhh i love those IP sigs

i dont think it matters that much how the knife spins, although when you throw a knife in real life no matter how good you are you make it spin.

Rhombus
May 22, 2005, 7:19 pm
No, if you use a throwing knife, the blade is heavier than the hilt, which makes sure that the hilt follows the blade, and it doesnt spin. I know it's a combat knife, and it should spin, but please make it so that the hilt follows the blade...

Kyklis
May 22, 2005, 7:44 pm
Yea...it really messes up alot of things. EXPECIALY trying to mod it. No way can a spinning spear kill anything.

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 9:40 pm
you'll see

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 9:47 pm
a knife usually spins when you throw it...

Leo Da Lunerfox
May 22, 2005, 9:57 pm
As he had said before, a well designed knife or spear does not spin horizontally. Have any of you seen a football (American football)? When a person throws the football, if he/she knows how to throw one correctly, it only spins in the horizontal direction, same with a spear or a knife, if it is thrown correctly, it shouldn't spin vertically.

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 10:28 pm
^That is why I will never, ever, play football^

Rhombus
May 23, 2005, 9:49 am
That is not exactly what I mean Leo, although you are close. No matter how lame you throw a throwing knife, after a few spins, it stops spinning and goes blade first.

m00`
May 23, 2005, 10:28 am
who cares about realisem. 'liek omgz if you is good you will still make it spin liek makingz it go straight al teh time is so saderz teh haxor unrealisticz'
you guys dont have to be so scientific about it ;p

and plus rhombus has a point about it giving people more modding capabilities and i support this idea ;/

Deleted User
May 23, 2005, 11:21 am
Yeah, a spear would be cool. And the chainsaw transformed into sword/pike.
Cool.

Captain Ben
May 23, 2005, 12:29 pm
NONONONO... Throwing knives are very much different to normal knives, thanks to the even weight between the handle and blade. If you ever buy one, you should be able to balance it on your index finger, dead centre. Now throwing a knife... I've tried before, but I was a crap thrower.
A knife, when thrown, all depends on the rotation. In the air, a knife makes a rotation every three metres. But you should also be able to throw it into the ground, blade first, anywhere from your foot to one metre. Apparently, experienced knife-throwers can judge the distance of the target and throw the knife to spin accordingly.
Even though, there are hundreds of different knife throwing techniques, yet the rotating blade is the most common.

Though, perhaps instead of completely changing the knife from not spinning at all, maybe it should be an option?
Like at the player menu you can choose if you'd rather your knife to rotate or be thrown blade-first...
I sense a new customistion choice coming :O

SPARTAN_III
May 23, 2005, 12:37 pm
lets compromise. make it as an option. to spin or not to spin, that tis teh question

DT
May 23, 2005, 3:43 pm
or we can leave it how it is...
heh a spining spear...

Alamo
May 23, 2005, 4:07 pm
Captain Ben is right. And don't make an option... or you will have 10 pages of ticks one day.

DeMonIc
May 23, 2005, 4:27 pm
I like this idea.. I mean, these are army knifes, not throwing knifes. Besides, it would look much much cooler.

Kyklis
May 23, 2005, 5:11 pm
Moo's right...it dosen't matter if REAL knives spin or not. This is soldat, and he wants more modding capabilities.

wacko101
May 24, 2005, 11:07 am
i agree....it wuld be kool to have an option coz my mod is a lightsaber as a knife so it looks funny when the lightsaber spins, my other mod is a battle sword...u can't kill anyone with a spniing battle sword coz the handle mite hit them first... :)

m00`
May 24, 2005, 11:14 am
quote:Originally posted by Captain BenNONONONO... Throwing knives are very much different to normal knives, thanks to the even weight between the handle and blade. If you ever buy one, you should be able to balance it on your index finger, dead centre. Now throwing a knife... I've tried before, but I was a crap thrower.
A knife, when thrown, all depends on the rotation. In the air, a knife makes a rotation every three metres. But you should also be able to throw it into the ground, blade first, anywhere from your foot to one metre. Apparently, experienced knife-throwers can judge the distance of the target and throw the knife to spin accordingly.
Even though, there are hundreds of different knife throwing techniques, yet the rotating blade is the most common.

quote:Originally posted by m00`
you guys dont have to be so scientific about it

diediedie119
June 1, 2005, 11:37 pm
quote:u can't kill anyone with a spniing battle sword coz the handle mite hit them first... :)

true and also this woulld be easy just edit the animation to fit your style(if you cant code then ask someone who knows Delphi)

Deleted User
June 2, 2005, 5:20 am
I think you should get macheties instead of knifes way way cooler.............
also two unrelated notes how do you link an avitar and what with the cute little lol thing is it an inside joke

Captain Ben
June 2, 2005, 11:27 am
quote:Originally posted by m00`quote:Originally posted by Captain BenNONONONO... Throwing knives are very much different to normal knives, thanks to the even weight between the handle and blade. If you ever buy one, you should be able to balance it on your index finger, dead centre. Now throwing a knife... I've tried before, but I was a crap thrower.

quote:Originally posted by m00`
you guys dont have to be so scientific about it

I was explaining how they work :'(

Perhaps a machete would be a good addition...
The machete spins and the knife goes straight?

Deleted User
June 3, 2005, 5:58 pm
im using a shurikan\boomerang skin so the spining is great for me :D

Da cHeeSeMaN
June 4, 2005, 8:50 am
yah it would also ruin some of the moding capabilities

Captain Ben
June 4, 2005, 3:16 pm
What if there were two sorts of knife? Spinning and non-spinning? Then we'd have the best 'o' both!

Marine
June 4, 2005, 6:57 pm
That seems like a bloody waste of time. I mean, it would be nice like...variety I guess. Would itbe the same kind of weapon, it just flies differently?

Actually, now that I think about it it doesn't seem half bad.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 4, 2005, 7:37 pm
It wouldn't be too realistic and I don't know if it would look cool. But if you want to make a mod then maybe I can do an option for it.

Iag0
June 5, 2005, 4:06 am
most of the skill in throwing a knife using the "spinning" technique is getting it to hit point first, if your really niggley about details it would be quite tricky to make a spinning knife appear to always hit point first in soldat

surely it'd be far easier (and more pleasing for all you detail freaks) if the knife flew through the air straight (pointing in its direction of travel) until it hit something when it would tumble to the ground

Deleted User
June 5, 2005, 4:15 am
I like the way the knife and M79 bullet are now, dont change them

Captain Ben
June 5, 2005, 4:16 am
It'd also be nice if it occasionally hit polies and stuck into them blade first...