( search forums )
Soldat screen frozen
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Phydaux
May 22, 2005, 12:35 am
When playing (only ever on WepMod servers) the screen seems to randomly freeze. The game isn't frozen, I can hear my self shooting or using jets, and more often hear myself getting killed.

Sometimes after a while it will unfreeze. I can sometimes continue as normal, othertimes it crashes with the message: Cannot initialise Direct X blah... blah... blah...

If it crashes and I go to restart Soldat I get the message: Your hardware does not support direct X, then the usual cannot initialise direct X message.

These error messages seem to be caused by the crash, as the file bgothl.ttf is then locked (a re-start usually sorts this out, if not then copying the file and jumping into safe mode then destroying the offending file sorts it out)

b00stA
May 22, 2005, 8:59 am
It's possible that there's a program running in the background that steals the focus (from Soldat to itself) and something bad happens.
Just close anything like ICQ, MSN and make sure that a firewall or virus scanner doesn't interrupt you.

Phydaux
May 23, 2005, 9:38 pm
Hmm.. I don't think it is a background prog. I don't usually have anything running in the background, except for the usual processes. It could be virus scanner, but I've set it so it doesn't scan soldat or soldat files in real time.

This has only happend in the 1.2.1 release, it never happened to me before then. :/

The focus doesn't appear to have switched from soldat, because the times that it unfreezes without crashing, I have brought up the menu, and can hear myself shooting and reloading.

This might be a driver issue, I'll check to see if I'm up-to-date and try again (maybe I messed up the last update :P )