( search forums )
The Soldat Commuinities
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Ok
May 22, 2005, 9:13 am
Erm, I've been playing Soldat for more then 2 years now.
First I started as freelancer. roaming around the Deathmath servers.
I started playing some CTF but not much. it wasn't 'till I went in a clan when I started it.
Then I found out about SCTFL, later on I realized there's a whole new world of Soldat I don't know about, IRC for example.
So I got into that as well.

I have this feeling and this somehow nerrow prospective of the world of Soldat.
And to be honest I have no idea how right I am.
It seems to me that that world in the IRC, the world of clans and leagues and national teams and so on is the ACTUAL goal any soldat player should inspire too.

Alot of players from that world refuse to participate in these forums claiming this is a place full of newbies and somehow stupid kids.
I do agree partialy, this place is indeed full of new players who unfortunaly drove away alot of the vetrens. This might be the reason to why soldat became so far from what most vetrens wanted it to be.

So I'm wondering is there a whole different community I dont know about?
A community that does not know what IRC is, or what is a Gather?
TNL tourny? SCTFL? ESL?
Is there a community out there that only plays publics?
Or maybe even a different community of clans.

My own feeling is that the IRC community is the biggest one, and SCTFL and TNL are the biggest and most popular tournimants.
I also believe that any soldat player who wishes to go into a good clans ends up going into the IRC and by that into the community I know off.

Am I wrong? how many of you here have been playing for more then a year+making friends with ppl in here but staying a freelancer in public servers?

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 10:38 am
Well I think "we" should teach how to use irc for those "not veterans" And start advertising some channels in server messages. (that maybe help little to get again new players on irc?)

Keron Cyst
May 22, 2005, 3:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by Ok... how many of you here have been playing for more then a year+making friends with ppl in here but staying a freelancer in public servers?
Well, I haven't been here for as long as a year, but I freelance (although I'm part of an advertising "clan" that wasn't started by me, and yet I'm the only member o.O') and I think at least some people know me ;-) E.g., Captain Ben recognized me on a CTF map, but correct me if I'm a stranger to everyone...

LazehBoi
May 22, 2005, 4:13 pm
I still freelance. Clan wars were never my thing, but for some reason I always aspired to be in a european tournament. Sadly, lag makes that a little hard.

ThaD
May 22, 2005, 5:15 pm
there are let's call it national communities; i.e. selfkill or soldat.eu.org

DeMonIc
May 22, 2005, 6:39 pm
I came across the soldat forums community before any other.. after that, I found my national community, which was a big disappointment in comparison with what I have seen on IRC.

Ok
May 24, 2005, 7:10 pm
National communities are also made out of noobs.
I remember being in one of them, there's nothing more pathetic then a newbe who thinks he knows everything when you know there's another world he doesnt even know about.
That's why I had the feeling that in some point every noob realizes it and go to the next level wich is the IRC level.

grand_diablo
May 24, 2005, 7:43 pm
I think there is no "public server community". Its more likely that there are a bunch of small forums and clans whose members dont know about soldatforums.com, Selfkill and the IRCers.

DT
May 24, 2005, 8:20 pm
yea so just tell em to come here

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 25, 2005, 3:21 am
i played soldat maybe a year before i even realized that there were forums, much less what one was. its my first forum. i have also never gotten into irc. It's just bleh to me. i have greater things to do than sit there and type / command jokes to people and see what your listening to in your winamp. ive been in a few clans and ive played in a few sctfl's and other leagues in the past. i feel like im pretty well known as a player, though

Ok
May 25, 2005, 3:42 am
You say you have better things to do then write in here, but you have 27*[my numbers of posts], and I am registered here for 1 and half years.

Anyways I think this guy mike is one of the player that confuses me, its like seeing ppl who play with a tag and in a clan but have no idea whats going on.
Like back when I started TgW there was a clan named UP.
I kept seeing them in publics bragging about how their clan is the best in the world, and that was when TgW owning right and left.
so I'm thinking WTH? is there a new world I don't know about 'cause I sure don't remember any cw's vs UP and I sure never heard about anyone else playing them.

And that was just 1 case, I met alot of players who are talking like that as if they were playing vs everyone and were well known in some place. while I never heard of them and I knew about most of the leagues, atleast the ones that actualy counted for something.

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 4:40 am
quote:A community that does not know what IRC is, or what is a Gather?
TNL tourny? SCTFL? ESL?

I dont know what those are :p

And I've been playing for two+ years and hav'nt joined any clans. I'm freelance :p

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 5:20 am
OK is right and there are realy big diffrence with players in irc and (non irc players) (msn isn't good for clan organication) and those public players doesn't know enything abouht leagues or other thinks (or even moust best clans)

.alex.oner.
May 25, 2005, 7:24 am
irc isnt essential to clans, but its very very very usefull.. alot better then msn, aim, xfire, etc..

ThaD
May 25, 2005, 8:34 am
quote:Originally posted by OkNational communities are also made out of noobs.

not in Germany, Poland and Russia certainly, but I don't know how it is in other countries

SuperKill
May 25, 2005, 10:25 am
Ok - that's because the good israeli players usually run off to the european community cause they are sick of all the noobish stuff in the israeli community. (just like me and the rest of the 'known' israelies)

i remember we had an arguement about it... 2 years ago? you didnt have the same opinion back then. i think you were the one that kept calling me nazi 'cause i was dissing the israeli community? :) correct me if i'm wrong ofcourse.

DeafBox
May 25, 2005, 12:40 pm
The australian community is quite big. Despite the random aussies that post here im really the only person from a major clan that visits and posts here. Conicidently i dont think any aussies that post here are really active members of the Australian community. It seems they all fall in love with the yanks...*cough* m00 *cough*
We dont really use IRC... experimented with it in the past, but as everyone uses msn its much easier that way.
There is an aussie forum where the older soldat peeps frequent... its well known to the ppl who have been playing a while, while unknown to the n00bs. There is prolly about 30 active posters, with many more readers.

Ok
May 25, 2005, 4:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKillOk - that's because the good israeli players usually run off to the european community cause they are sick of all the noobish stuff in the israeli community. (just like me and the rest of the 'known' israelies)

i remember we had an arguement about it... 2 years ago? you didnt have the same opinion back then. i think you were the one that kept calling me nazi 'cause i was dissing the israeli community? :) correct me if i'm wrong ofcourse.

You're wrong, SOOO wrong.
You never saw me here cursing the IL community.
Its made of noobs , that's not a curse. noob=newbies. and that's true.
While you were here bashing the community like there is no tomorrow, talking as if you hate the fact that you're an Israeli,
I doubt I ever called you a nazi, but if I have that was a very stupid thing to say which I don't support.

Plus the commuinity back then was much different, we knew exactly how "good" we are and did not go around saying how much we pwn.

I seriously can't understand how can someone play this game for 2 years on publics while freelancing and still have fun.
The public server is a frustrating place. The only thing I use it for is to pass time untill I'm tired enough to sleep.

SuperKill
May 25, 2005, 6:46 pm
quote:
While you were here bashing the community like there is no tomorrow, talking as if you hate the fact that you're an Israeli
i did? strange, i dont remember doing anything like that.
the worse thing i ever did to the community was speaking the truth. you had some guys, some "IDOLS" if you'd like, and all i did was proving you they arent anything special. between all the rest that spammed your forums (koil, scorpion, bman) i was the one that ignored everyone's constant flaming.
all i did was telling you people how lame you are, and how much better it is to play on european servers than israeli ones, and all of a sudden i'm a nazi, a "traitor", and a "dna forum asslicker". (rofl)

quote:Plus the commuinity back then was much different, we knew exactly how "good" we are and did not go around saying how much we pwn.
riiiiight.
when i signed up to your forums, i got a "shut up n00b" reply from badiclly everyone, without them knowing me or playing against me at all.

quote:I seriously can't understand how can someone play this game for 2 years on publics while freelancing and still have fun.
The public server is a frustrating place. The only thing I use it for is to pass time untill I'm tired enough to sleep.

hmm i dont know if you're talking about me in here, but the only time i was clanless was the first months i started to play and the time after i *retired* (nowdays).

Alamo
May 25, 2005, 6:53 pm
I play since 2002. I was in a clan for a short time until it broke apart. Now I am active in the Forums, chat a lot in IRC (or less, depends on how you see it) and know many of the guys from the forums. Give freelancing a chance! IMO, clans suck anyway.

EndertheXenocide
May 25, 2005, 8:13 pm
I am also like Alamo. I first started playing Soldat back in 2002, the summer actually. But just recently I have started on the forums. But found that which ever I turn to, I feel as if I get flamed in a way or ridiculed because I may not now all.
I still public roam, just because it is fun to work on my skill. Playing only in clan-matches gives you great skill, but can't give you all of the skill that you can achieve. Without the public servers and these newbies, we wouldn't be as good as we are now. Not really stating anything important. Just putting in my 2 cents.

Captain_Jimbo
May 25, 2005, 8:29 pm

That post would define the kind of player I am 100% After seeing numerous failing clans break up and bicker about pointless things, I've had a very stand-offish approach to anything of the sort; though I'm not against checking new things out.

There's a pretty broad range of people like myself who stick to public servers, but it's a thin community and you never really know when someone's going to leave for a while for for a long time. And, for obvious reasons, playing public servers can sometimes be seriously unfulfilling for a Veteren looking for a challenge.

Advertising recommended IRC channles wouldn't be a bad idea at all. In fact I think it's almost needed for freelancers who don't know how vast the other communities really are.

BManx2000
May 25, 2005, 9:25 pm
Holy crap, it's Captain Jimbo!

Outcast
May 25, 2005, 9:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by ThaDquote:Originally posted by OkNational communities are also made out of noobs.

not in Germany, Poland and Russia certainly, but I don't know how it is in other countries

um, german community is fool of noobs. or atleast it was a year ago, they might have gotten better but i doubt it :p

Ok
May 26, 2005, 9:31 am
Well I can tell you guys that the clan world could be very nice.
Today is a bit of a problem, but the main idea stand as a good one. and not just for soldat, for any form of a game that requirs team work.

I was in a number of clans, I kinda enjoyed most of them, but then realized that a clan needs to be made of only ppl who like each other. and the base must be good, if you have that you don't bicker or fight with each other. and if you do, its not that bad that you leave the clan.

I made TgW with 3 players. including me. We had alot of fun, and we were also succesful. I think the latter is the direct result of the first.
We did not fight among each other, we talked, had fun. if we had some frustration about some public game or someone camping on us and so on, its very comfartable when you have a clan of friends that you can go to and whine to them :) the annoying feeling goes away and you don't argue with seneless ppl while doing it.

So a clan is not just a group of ppl who play good together, I find it as a great place to escape to when you're sick of a soldat related issue or any issue to be honest.
Once you know someone for more then year, and talk to him on a daily bases he becomes your friends, even if its just the Internet..

Notice that I did not even mentioned for once the main idea of a clan, which is to developed team work and play smart together.
Sometimes you don't even need that, I've seen alot of clans who kept losing and losing but didn't mind, they had fun together and did not fight about that.

So don't give up someday Soldat will become a game where team work actualy matter and overpowered weapons won't rule the game anymore (I'm praying for that day).

I can tell you from expirience, at the time of campers I was able to have fun and play good and I used team work to overcome to overpowered barret, there's nothing more fun in Soldat then playing with your friends and beating a clan of camper with the help of great team work and amazing co-ordination.

BTW, there is a post that published channels in the IRC :)
ITs a sticky one as well in this section of the forum , look up.

Outcast
May 26, 2005, 10:33 am
I will refrain from responding to this.

Ok
May 26, 2005, 6:12 pm
Good :) because that was the exact reason for your departure.

Outcast
May 26, 2005, 6:27 pm
Ok, now i have to talk. Your full of (Please refrain from swearing), ok, Ok?
For the time i was in TgW i got along with ALL the members, even you, until you have a bad day or something and started talking crap to the first person who would actually want to talk back to you. The others didn't since they already knew it was pointless arguing with you(they just ignored your babling, they didn't seem to like you all that much), since you won't back down from your point of view no matter what, even if proven wrong.
But i didn't know that yet, and i soon realised it. You talk and talk and talk yet your wrong and you don't want to admit it when i actually prove your wrong.
Your whole thing about clans and good relations, i don't know where that comes from, not from your experience i'd guess, from what i've seen most just ignore you. And your not all that liked, let's see...just about everywhere. So your the last person to talk about good relations between clanmates and fellow playmates. Yes you don't curse, so you say, yet you show your hostility in other ways. Plus you like to enforce your opinion, which is very well seen here, where without a lot of interest of others, you keep writing bloody books in a vain hope to make them see your way. If they agreed they would already post and tell you that, writing 3 more posts in equal the lenght wont help. The last large post was a response to noone, it was just another post you made so you tried to make them see your way. Pointless. So shush.

Pulp
May 26, 2005, 7:19 pm
Quite ironic to see this thread full of posts about internal struggles in the so-called 'soldat community'. :)

SuperKill
May 26, 2005, 7:24 pm
outcast: LOL KILLED BY MICROSOFT
microsoft: ;P
-some days later-
outcast: micro you're cool :P
microsoft: hehe hold on
*microsoft leaves the game*
*superkill enters the game*
outcast: ass

SHUT UP,,,,,,,,, HYPOCRITE OUTCAST THE FAT!!! or should i say......... ****** fluffo :OOOOOOO!

Deleted User
May 26, 2005, 7:44 pm
whoa...whoa...i think we all need to calm down here

SuperKill
May 26, 2005, 7:55 pm
my part was a joke anyway.

Ok
May 27, 2005, 3:00 pm
You know just what you know.
That's about it :)
TgW are very happy and most of them are very smart (even the polish one--JOKE!!!) if they wouldn't like being in TgW they would have left it long age, enough times TgW members were offered places in other good clans.

I know alot about clans, and I aint enforcing anything about anyone, I'm writing books because my English is not that good to summerize all I wanna say.

I'm here writing this not for me or to enforce my opinion, I understand why some ppl think clans are not worth it, and I keep seeing clans rise with nothing and die like nothing.
I keep seeing ppl making clans just so they can control something of their own, that only leads to them dieing after alot of bickering.
So I'm writing the way TgW started inorder to give an example how to make a clan that won't die after the first sign of losing.

Come on Outy, you can't honestly believe you know everything about TgW from the 1 week you've been in it?

DT
May 27, 2005, 3:15 pm
PMs are your friend....
hmm i've never seen outcast...
until today

Deleted User
May 27, 2005, 3:19 pm
that's because he's had one of the "soldat breaks" :)

Outcast
May 27, 2005, 3:37 pm
You tried to enforce your "non cursing policy" to me while i was in TgW. So, your not telling the truth again, about the you not enforcing anything to anyone part.
And i didn't say i know everything about TgW. But then again, the first few impressions were exactly what i said. I don't want to turn this into a "i'll post a log and prove you wrong" kind of crap, so stop with it already. These monologs aren't helping.

P.S. - DT i haven't seen you either. I guess you have a different thread taste then me :)

P.S. 2 - SK shush your fat, and i'm no fluffo ;p

ThaD
May 27, 2005, 8:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by DT

i have a picture of him somewhere...

ah here it is, nope, hes not Mr. Universum definitely ;p

Outcast
May 27, 2005, 9:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by ThaDquote:Originally posted by DT

i have a picture of him somewhere...

ah here it is, nope, hes not Mr. Universum definitely ;p

Go check the pics thread, it's all there...like 3 or 4 pics :o

Ok
May 28, 2005, 6:52 am
No one tried to enforce anything on you.
You were given a choise, stop cursing ppl all over or get out of TgW :)
Actualy I never liked you much, whenever someone said anything that was against your way of thinking you started cursing him like a little brat.
When you came to me all nice and calm "You seem like a nice guy, may I join your clan" I thought, hey maybe I was wrong.

Yes I am a nice guy, I don't like ppl who curse as second nature and I sure don't like to play with team mates who curse me when I ask them to choose a more team work weapon (Like, NOT m79).
I aint a saint, I sometimes loose my temper (mostly in publics) and I hate that, but I will not curse my team mate, and I do not excuse my self by saying "shutting up your friends is a normal thing here" such as you did, if its Ok in Slovenia then be my guest have fun cursing ppl for everything to your dislike, but don't do it in my clan.

And here comes my point, a clan should choose carefuly what it gets. most clans just take whatever good player they get, and there is no doubt Outcast is a good player, but those kind of decision make clans of alot of good players with huge egoes that will start fighting each other.
If you start a clan, and make sure everyone get along fine, and count the skill factor as a secondary and not the main one, then you have a great chance to create a clan that won't die shortly and won't bicker.

That's actualy just a comment to Captain Jimbo who said that after his expirience of clans its not worth it, and from his expirience I don't blame him.
But if you do it right, and keep your clan clean and nice like I have, you have a clan that still goes on playing and attracts good players (Enik for example) even if its not winning every clan war.

Outcast
May 28, 2005, 9:34 am
Let's see, i have a bit of an ego that's true, you can't blame me. Then again, if i would curse as a second nature, i would be cursing all the time. Which, I don't.
And let's see, your "stop cursing people all over(which is not true) or get out of TgW"
sounds like "My way or the highway", which is exactly what i said, enforcing behaviour/your way.
Plus, you forgot to say, you wanted me to use an m79 in, um, a gather war? Who are you to tell me what to use in a gather war, sheesh. "Could you please use m79" is just a nicer version of "Use m79.", so yes, it IS telling me what to use. The point of gathers is to have fun with whatever weapon you wanna use.
Plus when we quarelled, timmy shouted SHUT UP and you didn't give him any lectures, that's amazing.
Now, please prove that i curse like a little brat(which is, a hostile statement) everytime someone does something i don't like. If you can't be bothered too, because you can't, you need to stop talking all this lies.

Ok
May 28, 2005, 7:36 pm
Right....

Anyways clans are worth giving it try, don't give up on them, and if you really feel like there isn't any clan that suits you out there, just open a clan with ppl who share your vision and ideas.
Its kinda like having friends that you acualy like rather then having friends based on their achivments or something else that is rather materialistic.

GO GO GO FREELANCERS! :)