( search forums )
minigun tips
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 4:47 pm
so over the last month, ive made it my goal to be fairly effective with every weapon in soldat. however, the minigun seems to be the hardest weapon to master, especially in realistic mode. the recoil and spray is far too great, and the bullets too weak. the reload time is helluva long, and you need to empty a third of your clip into someones chest to kill them.

so...

any tips?

Rhombus
May 22, 2005, 5:05 pm
The weapon is not a weapon of choice for a killer, but for a lamer. The most effective situation to use it, is when there are a lot of enemies under you, and you just spray them to death, just hanging in the air, sitting on your minigun, aiming in the middle of em.

May 22, 2005, 5:11 pm
Never surf. Never surf. Never surf. I hope I made that clear enough. Also, in team games, never attack by yourself. Chances are you won't be able to move much while firing, so get someone else to hang around you with an ak or something to distract people.

karmazon
May 22, 2005, 5:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by aznbl00d
any tips?

Don't use it

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 5:31 pm
agreed.. however I have seen some pretty good minigun killers... theres not much I could do when I was hammered by minigun bullets.. he was good with the wep

Mini Man
May 22, 2005, 5:44 pm
Tip : Don't use it :D

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 5:54 pm
Tip: Spraying is your friend.

Bug
May 22, 2005, 6:01 pm
In realistic mode, I think only tip that works, is the one, which Rhombus already told.
Btw Psycho, in which clan are you in? I maybe have seen you somewhere :o

lastpatriot
May 22, 2005, 8:26 pm
Bink is your best friend.

EspaceeMegadeth
May 22, 2005, 8:34 pm
Yes,I've used minigun for a few times.It takes too much time to reload..and its not very effective

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 8:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by BugIn realistic mode, I think only tip that works, is the one, which Rhombus already told.
Btw Psycho, in which clan are you in? I maybe have seen you somewhere :o

Im in the .Snakez clan.. my ingame name is Psycho<.Cobra>

Raptor
May 22, 2005, 10:10 pm
I'm in the EsX.Clan, I'm EsX.Raptor...

_Mancer_
May 22, 2005, 10:17 pm
Minigun is better than any gun :/

Marine
May 22, 2005, 10:22 pm
I've found minigun is more effective in realistic because, well, it does more damage. Recoil? Sure. Fire in bursts. If you use range to your advantage, you can get 1/3 damage to him before hes in effective range. Try to get high too and spray down on him at an angle.

If I ever get into a game where we're using good teamwork, I'll go in ahead of the main assault squad and "soften up" the enemy enplacements and forces with some mini-gunning

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 10:30 pm
yea.. if you fire minigun in short burst in reallistic its good... altough I dont think I could use it very effectively

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 11:11 pm
I wish the minigun had more rounds per belt...maybe 150 or 200. I hate using them all in about 6-7 seconds and waiting that much time to reload.

Deleted User
May 22, 2005, 11:20 pm
the minigun is just fine right where it is..
and i would NOT need more rounds per belt.

BTW: 200posts and WOHOO!!

Deleted User
May 23, 2005, 2:40 am
...minigun tips....huh....your kiddin right?

Keron Cyst
May 23, 2005, 4:53 am
I was able to score my team a point (not me directly; I died & a teammate capped it) with the XM214' on ctf_Crashed. I didn't surf at all, and I even sat in Bravo base (opposition, of course) for 10 seconds taunting them to try & get me :-D
What did I do? I jumped up and shot at their heads. Headshots are quite powerful with any weapon, but with the 'Minigun's huge spray and close range I slaughtered 3 soldaten within 5 seconds B-) Basically:
? go for headshots up close, if possible
? use it realistically, as a soldier in real life would; try not to be in the air too much (the recoil will contribute to your soon-to-come death), and crouch if you're advancing towards opposition; you move faster on the ground crouching than trying to run against the recoil.

Deleted User
May 23, 2005, 6:13 am
thx for the tips, but whoever wrote about spraying in realistic mode is kinda stupid. it takes a coupla seconds to wind up? remember?

Captain Ben
May 23, 2005, 9:42 am
Surfing's fun :D

SPARTAN_III
May 23, 2005, 11:55 am
dont use it.

if ure in a cramped situation and ur reloading, dont let go of the fire button while loading. once you are finished loading it will fire again instantly because its still spinning.

but just dont use the (Please refrain from swearing) minigun

Raptor
May 23, 2005, 4:23 pm
The minigun is for n00bs I always say

zambo_the_clown
May 23, 2005, 4:46 pm
no gun is for n00bs raptor, minigun can be hard to master and since it is the fastest gun with most ammo, it lacks reload and takes time to start up. Ive killed plenty of minigunners with my FN just because they aim directly at me with bullets shooting over and under me.

On Topic: minigun can be good for cover fire with attacks crouching down and firing and a minigunner behind them on a hill or something, just spraying and weakening enemies. this is a good tactic if you and your team/clan like to play with strategy.

another tip: hide and camp behind things big enough to hide the gun and yourself (no one flame me because you get killed my campers >:( ) and this can be very effective.

Raptor
May 24, 2005, 3:48 pm
Well, I said that because I suck with that weapon... sorry if I offended someone

Jamesmax0
May 25, 2005, 10:42 pm
Before you consider using this weapon. Get good! Then consider using it.

Keron Cyst
May 26, 2005, 1:54 am
How can you get good without considering using it?...

Unlucky 13
May 26, 2005, 9:47 am
I think using rickyshay (yes I know...) is a good idea, It straightens out your bullet stream, but lowers power, so it isn't the best thing to do. Crouching and proning are also useful when using the minigun. Make sure you have it spinning when you hear someone close by, too.

Ezko
May 26, 2005, 9:57 am
Try to stay above the enemy. Headshots will help a great deal. If you have anything under 45 bullets, reload. I usually stand still while reloading, or follow a teammate.
And Like Unlucky said: when you see enemy bullets start winding it up.

Deleted User
May 26, 2005, 10:06 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystHow can you get good without considering using it?...

Bots.

y0da
May 26, 2005, 12:55 pm
arg... you don't have to spray with the minigun. It's easy to use. Click all the time the fire button to work the machine, but don't shoot. When you see an enemy near you, jump in the air, take the crosshair on him, pron and shoot the (Please refrain from swearing) down. You can't miss him.

CKA Le MeSsiE
June 13, 2005, 5:45 pm
it's just good when you have to score in small times. (as i hearded)
When i use minigun, as some people, it's because i want to play a fun game or a crazy game, like with the chainsaw.

Deleted User
June 13, 2005, 9:14 pm
Minigun is good to have if the enemy has taken your flag and you need to stop them, a good example of which; CTF_Kampf.

Let's say that the enemy just grabbed your flag and demolished your whole team, so as you're respawning you op for the minigun instead of your regular weapon and you lay down some bullet rain to stop them from leaving your base. This'll either kill the flagger, or at least hold him there long enough for the rest of your team to respawn and take him out.

Another good thing to know about the minigun is that it's best to use it at close range or mid range. As your opponents get farther and farther away, the harder and harder it gets to hit them. Due to the dispersing of the bullets.

Edit:OMGOOSE! Only 10 more posts! WOW! HOW AMAZING?!

Keron Cyst
June 13, 2005, 9:43 pm
@Hugoku: no, I mean you'd need to use it to practice it (mold to its trajectory, etc.).

quote:Originally posted by y0da... Click all the time the fire button to work the machine, but don't shoot....
Ja, I ought to do that more often.
quote:Originally posted by y0da... jump in the air, take the crosshair on him, pron and shoot... You can't miss him.
Hee, hee :-D And also, if that certain soldat is the EFC, and if you're high enough (in the air, not on marijuana xD), use your jets while firing; you're able to shoot and quickly advance simultaneously.

Deleted User
June 14, 2005, 12:29 am
yes. thx for the tips. and flying is fun, but on realistic, i often fall to my death when i hit a wall or something.

Happy Camper
June 14, 2005, 5:16 am
if lag did not affect the minigun so much, everyone would be crying 'nerf the minigun!!!!!!'

ever seen how fast Blain's mini kills? thats what it would be with no lag..

bond_james_bond
June 24, 2005, 10:23 pm
don't use the damn chaingun!

Deleted User
June 24, 2005, 10:40 pm
omg did u bump this topic just to say THAT?

Suomipoika
June 25, 2005, 1:00 pm
Damn you ppl! :P

Minigun is TACTICAL.
I accept it, and i use it a lot.

Jiggs
June 25, 2005, 8:05 pm
I find it fun to mess around sometimes and use an M79 to boost, and a Minigun to surf. Of course, I generally only do that in maps by myself, or with a bot or two.

Zegovia
June 26, 2005, 2:09 pm
I belive that the Minigun is the games most underrestimated gun, moslt because people thinks its anoyying. In my eyes its the hardest weapon to controll.

As you all know, the minigun is an perfect heavt support weapon, just weave it a directon where the enimies and friends are walking to them and squeese the trigger and hope you hit anything (and maybe give your pals an bullet boost in non friendly fire games..).

bosting do i belive is probaly the first reason why ppl hate the minigun. i think its quite anoying to. but it is an strategy developed by players, so there is nothing we can do about it.

Also in realistic mode, constantly pressing the trigger will leave you open by waving the minigun straight up in the air,due to the recoil. in realistic mode use short bursts. also short bursts are less spreaded than constant fire. so multiple bursts are better at distance.

Make sure you have the soccom, wich i belive is the most versatile secondary in the game. while you are reloading and someone comes close, smear the soccom at their face.

In capture the flag. it is as always a good support weapon. but also good at lurking at the enemy flag carrier (by facing towards him in his way from the base.) and use it to slow him down (so ya pals can take care of him.) or kill him.

Pope
June 28, 2005, 5:36 am
I agree, the Mini is a very tactical weapon. Noobs who try to spray and pray me will get 2 quick rugers to the head. Use it purely as a team weapon. If you need to go rambo tho, use about 25 bullets to get above the enemy base, dump your nades, and finish off the enemy. If need be, use the USSOCOM, best 2nd for Mini.

Zuppilo
June 28, 2005, 7:07 pm
Throw few nades while shooting

Deleted User
June 28, 2005, 8:30 pm
Tip: When u get minigun, write /mercy ;)
Tip2: Try to kill teh enemy, not just shoot around ;)
Tip3: Choose another weapon