Soldat PolyWorks v1.3 [Updated 09/03/06]
Soldat Forums - Soldat Fans - Fan Apps
Anna
May 23, 2005, 10:10 pm
Changes since last update:

- customizable fonts
- texture window
- changes to texture panel in properties window
- gdi+ for png support (requires gdi+ dll on non-windows xp systems)
- fixed scenery timestamp
- fixed scenery file name (case sensitive)
- horizontal flip on waypoints changes left<->right
- colours picked from map are selected in the palette
- save/load workspace
- various bug fixes

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

old images:
4 [url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/Anna_Z/xmasparty_composite.jpg">5

Download Soldat PolyWorks

PolyWorks FAQ

01. What is PolyWorks?

PolyWorks is a map editor for Soldat.

02. Where can I get the latest version of PolyWorks?

The current public version is available in the link above. The latest test version can be found on irc in the #soldat.polyworks channel on quakenet.

03. Why is there no help file?

There is now :D

05. Can you make polys go behind the player?

No, this isn't possible in Soldat.

06. The Palette/Scenery/Display window doesn't show, and it's checked off in the Window Menu.

Try Window -> Workspace -> Reset Window Locations.

07. Can you make the controls like in MapMaker?

No. You'll get used to it.

08. How do I put multiple textures in my map?

Put two or more textures into a bitmap and use the texture tool to manipulate the texture coordinates.

09. I get this error when I try to run PolyWorks: System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found.

Make sure these files exist in your Windows\System32 folder: MBMouse.ocx, COMDLG32.OCX, mscomctl.ocx, msvbvm60.dll, dx8vb.dll, scrrun.dll. The first three are included in the PolyWorks zip, the others can be found with google. If putting them in the Windows\System32 folder doesn't work try resistering the missing files: start -> run, type in regsvr32 name_of_file.dll_or_ocx.

10. I get a runtime error when I start PolyWorks.

Try changing the Dir entry in the Preferences section in polyworks.ini to your Soldat directory.

11. Are there poly bugs in maps made with PolyWorks?

In PolyWorks the "bouncy poly" bug has been eliminated (where polys would randomly turn bouncy along the edge after compiling). Poly bugs associated with vertices still occur, but they are easy to prevent with correct poly placement. Read the Map Maker Manual for more info.

12. I get a Direct3D initialization error when I start PolyWorks.

Make sure your colour setting is either 16-bit or 32-bit (control panel -> display -> settings tab).

Read the PolyWorks Help file for more info.

IRC: #soldat.polyworks on quakenet
email: soldat.polyworks at gmail.com

Thanks to everyone who tested, reported bugs, and showed support for this project. Happy mapping :]

Michal
May 23, 2005, 10:11 pm
In my map HTF Dusk there are some features that would not have been possible to make without PolyWorks.
For example, the water under the bridge:
[IMAGE]
First of all the water is one poly, set behind all the others. It has been untextured and it's coloured the same as the sky. Polygons were then added on top of it to continue the structure of the bridge, but these polygons had to be 2 pixels wider on each side than the ones on top, since edges of embedded polygons do not show (this was done with the nudge feature, tapping the arrow key moves the object one pixel). The only problem I had was that the edges of the water poly were still showing, I solved this problem by placing a line poly adjacent to the top of the water polygon, this was only possible thanks to the perfect grid snapping.

There are already plenty of new features that PolyWorks has introduced to Soldat mapping, I'm happy that Soldat mappers have more possibilities now than ever before.

Gen0cide
May 23, 2005, 10:37 pm
All I can really say..is holy crap.This looks awesome.I definitly can not wait until this comes out.That second picture in the first post looks unbelievably 3d..This will revolutionalize soldat maps as we know it!

grand_diablo
May 23, 2005, 10:38 pm
This is MAJOR WOOTAGE! *gasp*

SuperKill
May 23, 2005, 10:43 pm
:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

KeFear
May 23, 2005, 10:52 pm
OOO that is just awesome! I can't find any words right now :DD

Deleted User
May 23, 2005, 11:01 pm
that picture number 2 does not looks like its from soldat.. looks more like... blockland :P. so I must say that this KICKASS

Alamo
May 23, 2005, 11:20 pm
That looks awesome. If it works as good as it looks, this will give a whole new level to mapping!

cooz
May 24, 2005, 12:33 am
i can just say ow my fu*king god!

im starting to test... test... test... test... test...

Anna
May 24, 2005, 1:22 am
Thanks for the replies :) I wasn't originally going to post the second picture, I was just screwing around one time and I thought it looked nice so I saved a screen shot :P

Some more info:

Edit menu

Duplicate: duplicates selected polys, offsets and selects them, and switches to the move tool.

Texture:
-> Fix texture: fixes the texture coordinates of any selected vertices.
-> Untexture: sets the texture coordinates of any selected vertices to the same number so that if all 3 vertices of a poly are selected it appears to be untextured.

Split at Vertex: splits the poly at the selected vertex and the midpoint of the opposite edge.

Join Vertices: brings all selected vertices to the same coordinates.

View menu

Snap to Vertices: when checked, vertices placed within a certain range will snap to existing vertices. This happens when a poly is created or when a group of vertices that have the same coordinates is moved.

Fixed Texture: when checked, vertices can be moved without stretching the texture.

Blend Wireframe/Blend Polys: when checked, alpha blending of polys and wireframe/points is turned on. This sometimes helps to identify areas of the map that have overlapping polys and stuff like that (mostly it just looks pretty). Blending modes can be set in Edit -> Preferences.

[IMAGE]

I'll make a complete tutorial before I release the first fully working version.

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 1:23 am
That is incredible. I don't even make maps and I'm in awe. I especially love the look, it matches Soldat perfectly

Edit:Just saw the screen above me...*drools* so prettttyyyyy....

AWH_ReApEr
May 24, 2005, 2:38 am
Oh...my...god. Absolutely gorgeous. Looks amazing so far. Can't wait 'till the full version is ready!

The following goes to all programmers:
I've seen quite a bit of new fan apps and the like coming out, and I just wanted to say that I'm extremely grateful for those of you working on them. I can't code at all, or I'd help you guys out, but once again, thanks for all your hard work. Keep up the great work!

Aquarius
May 24, 2005, 3:19 am
OMG, this look great! GREAT job Anna! Well, it still needs a lot of work, but great job so far ;]

Vijchtidoodah
May 24, 2005, 3:26 am
You have no idea how glad I am that you took the time and effort to create this! Not only that, but you really listened to our suggestions and incorporated them into the (nearly) final product.

That being said, apparently I need to get comdlg32.ocx from somewhere in order to use this, but I don't know where to get it or how to install it once I do. Anyone want to help me out?

Anna
May 24, 2005, 3:34 am
@Vijchtidoodah: did a quick google and found this:
[URL]
I think you just have to put this in the Soldat PolyWorks folder or your Windows\System32 folder. [edit: here are instructions, looks like you might have to register it too: [URL]]

Again, thanks for all the comments :) I'm going to keep working and hope that lots of people will be mapping with my editor soon :D

Aquarius
May 24, 2005, 3:37 am
As soon as you make the "save map" option ;)

EDIT: You don't have to register the COMDLG32.OCX file, just put it in the PolyWorks folder.

Vijchtidoodah
May 24, 2005, 4:51 am
I got it to work, comdlg32.ocx needs to go into the system32 folder for xp users.

Now for my commentary. Keep in mind that I love what you've done, but for the sake of brevity, I'm just going to highlight what I would like to be fixed.

1. Scrolling - It really needs to be more fluid. It's difficult to tell where you're scrolling to when you have to release just to see where you've moved the screen. This could be extremely confusing if you have a map with many similar polygons in the same area.

2. Controls - First, you should add an option to have the same controls as the official mapmaker. Then, make sure that there aren't seperate buttons for selecting and moving vertices - that's extremely cofusing, time consuming, and annoying when you have to repeatedly change tools. You may want to look at programs such as Photoshop to study what control schemes work best. Or perhaps make mouse button 1 always selects (and possibly moves the vertices after they have been selected) and button 2 always performs the selected function (or, atleast make the point and drag selection tools one and the same).

3. Vertex Color Tool - Sometimes it's really difficult to get in close to the vertex, so it may be better to have a little region on the polygon near the vertex that will color it. However, some people may like to customize this region (from coloring the nearest vertice to only the point) because I can see how it may get confusing in complicated maps.

4. Jets, Grenades, Medikits - I'm sure you're aware that these need to be worked on, but just in case you forgot...

5. Hotkeys - Keys that you can press on the keyboard to quickly select a tool. This would greatly enhance functionality. And, again, customizability is always a plus.

6. Tooltips - Little popup boxes that explain what the tools are when you hover over them.

7. An explanation of the Mode box in the palette window. You'll probably cover this in the tutorial that you're planning, but again, just in case...

I hope this helps. Great job!

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 5:12 am
I get a Runtime Error '91' : Object Variable or With Block variable not set.

Quickly followed by an error in MSVBVM60.dll which closes the program.

Any ideas?

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 6:45 am
I gots me an error!

quote:System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found.

Appears when running the Main executable.

chrisgbk
May 24, 2005, 6:45 am
Are there any specific cases that cause the error? Is it just on startup, does it occur when doing something specific in the map maker, or does it occur when loading a map? You're the help forum moderator, you should know that problems can't be solved without a full set of info. =P If it's at startup, that could very well be due to your modified shell, but not necessarily. If it's on a map, some specific maps that come with soldat do contain invalid data (which was annoying as hell when making the loading routines for mine and Enesce's map maker), and in other cases that could very well be a coding error, and it helps a lot to provide as much information as possible.

Nukem
May 24, 2005, 10:55 am
i dont have any new feedback, but i do realy like the programm. keep up the good work!

m00`
May 24, 2005, 10:59 am
looks nice anna keep up the good work :]

May 24, 2005, 2:36 pm
"Component 'MBMouse.ocx' or one of it's dependencies not currently registered: a file is missing or invalid"
What is this madness?

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 2:40 pm
seems its a few bugs with this program....

FliesLikeABrick
May 24, 2005, 3:50 pm
this is the first time that I have seen this thread, and it looks like an amazing program. I haven't done any mapping in the past, but now I look forward to it. I'm not 100% sure what the old mapmaker interface was like, but this definately looks very nice, very userfriendly

@Psycho: no sh*t? don't spam

Solidarnosc
May 24, 2005, 4:07 pm
Well done - it looks really cool. All you have to do now is steal Chris and Enesce's polygon algorithm =) - just kidding of course.

The only annoying thing (and a small one at that) for me was the scrolling. I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong, but when I used the scroll feature it didn't refresh until I had finished the move. This may not have been a concern, but I reckon it would be even better with smooth scrolling that refreshed the display as it scrolls (just make sure first that Enesce hasn't already patented smooth scrolling as his own intellectual property).

You could also apply the same to the zoom by having smooth zoom intervals.

Boxo
May 24, 2005, 4:27 pm
Ah, I love this program, can't wait for it to get finished. Aside from what Vijchtidoodah pointed out, though, I have some ideas/nitpick.

-An undo button is needed, accessible with crtl z. preferably a redo button too.
-Darken & Lighten vertices features, as in the original mapmaker. They're useful occasionally
-MapMakerPlus style coloring option.
-Obviously, scenery.
-The ability to edit scenery after it's placed. please.

Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome program, keep it up.

Anna
May 24, 2005, 6:02 pm
@Lapis_Lazuli: I don't know what's causing that error :s The next version of my editor will have better error trapping, hopefully it will make it possible to identify the problem. Please be patient with me :P

@EnEsCe: I did a bit of googling, and that error seems to be related to the ocx files. Try replacing MBMouse.ocx/COMDLG32.ocx into your system32 folder. Might want to try registering them too if it doesn't work (start -> run, type in regsvr32.exe [name of file]). Other than that I don't know what it could be.

@Sticky: try copying the MBMouse.ocx file into your system32 folder.

LazehBoi
May 24, 2005, 6:04 pm
Oh my god...
Really. That's all I have to say. I'm that speechless. :O

Anna
May 24, 2005, 6:52 pm
@Vijchtidoodah:
1. About the scrolling, it's like that for now because rendering while moving the mouse gets "laggy" at times. I still have to work on optimizing the rendering, and I might try putting it on a timer. After you get used to it being like that though you don't really notice it (at least it's like that for me). Anyway the next version should have smooth scrolling :)
2. The way I designed the interface/controls was actually heavily influenced by Photoshop :P In the beginning I made it so that selection and moving were done with the same tool (like with Photoshop's path selection tools), but me and Michal both thought it would be better to separate them (like with Photoshop's rectangular marquee/move tools). You can hold the ctrl key while using the selection tools to move the selected vertices, so you don't have to switch every time.
3. I think I know what you mean... Are you talking about the case when there are several vertices with the same coordinates, and you only want to colour one of them? This is possible if you select the polygon with the vertex you want to colour first, and then use the vertex colour tool. When you have vertices selected, it's only possible to colour those that are selected and the others are not affected. The idea of having regions is interesting, I'll take it into consideration.
4. Don't worry, I didn't forget about any of that :)
5. That's coming soon as well (it was going to be in this version but I got lazy :P)
6. For some reason, the tooltips only show after you've selected the tool. I'll see if I can fix that.
7. Yep, that will be covered later. People who have used Photoshop will know what Multiply and Screen do, the other modes are somewhat useless anyway.

@Solidarnosc: see my response to Vijchtidoodah about the scrolling. I like the idea of smooth zooming, it's never occured to me. I'll see if I can implement that too :)

@Boxo:
- undo and redo will be implemented soon.
- darken and lighten effects are possible by changing the opacity or by using the multiply and screen blend modes.
- MapMakerPlus isn't working on my computer, I'll try it on Michal's computer later. How does the colouring work in MapMakerPlus?
- of course scenery is coming soon as well :)
- scenery manipulation will be as flexible and user friendly as I can possibly make it :)

Thanks for all the feedback :D I'm happy that you guys like it so far, hopefully I can resolve a lot of the problems in the next version :)

Michal
May 24, 2005, 11:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodah2. Controls - First, you should add an option to have the same controls as the official mapmaker. Then, make sure that there aren't seperate buttons for selecting and moving vertices - that's extremely cofusing, time consuming, and annoying when you have to repeatedly change tools. You may want to look at programs such as Photoshop to study what control schemes work best. Or perhaps make mouse button 1 always selects (and possibly moves the vertices after they have been selected) and button 2 always performs the selected function (or, atleast make the point and drag selection tools one and the same).

An option for original controls will definitely not be in this editor. The whole point of it was to be more convenient, the original interface is pretty bad :/ Note how with this editor you can do most things with one hand, the same cannot be said for the original.

cooz
May 25, 2005, 1:02 am
using 2 hands isn't so bad ;p
but i still dont like official mapmaker controls ;)

i have lots of ideas (eg. moving selected poligon with arrows, making multiplicity of 30degree poligon angles - almost all came from meitzi's EditPro.)

but first things first, right? ;)

and btw,
Anna, are U planning to implement compilating maps, or just saving and then compilating them in MapMaker?

Anna
May 25, 2005, 1:19 am
I like EditPro, it has some nice features :)

It will be possible to make a working map using only this editor (except for maybe bot waypoints, I'm not sure if I'm going to do those yet). I still have to figure out the rest of the map file format and what's involved in compiling maps though.

One thing I have been considering is to use a custom file format to save maps, which can then be compiled into a .pms file. This would solve some of the problems that occur when maps are compiled.

cooz
May 25, 2005, 1:35 am
Do what U think is right,
You're the Jedi Master here ;)

oh and one (i think usefull) feature request:
add option to turn off coloring poligons edges - sometimes (eg. black ones) are not visible...

peemonkey
May 25, 2005, 1:46 am
holy pine. kick ass.

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 3:04 am
so *twitch* beautiful *twitch*

Solidarnosc
May 25, 2005, 3:19 am
The idea for a custom map format is a good one and I think you could develop one that other map-makers could use. This would be good for a number of reasons, namely low-key (read lazy) developers like myself wouldn't need to worry about writing to the PMS format =) (although someone would still have to bite the bullet and make a translator) and extra features that wouldn't make it to the end PMS file could be incorporated, such as multi-polygon vertices, "prefabricated" primtive shapes and polygons with more than 3 vertices (though you probably don't want to include such features in your mapmaker).

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 4:20 am
:O

*Dies*

P.s, Please make A realy nice way point editor. The one that we have now is very confusing :-/

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 5:52 am
To be more specific:

When executing the main application, I recieve the error message I stated earlier. After I try to move the mouse within the bounderies of the app, I recieve the second error, causing the application to crash politely, leaving me at my previous operating environment.

chrisgbk
May 25, 2005, 6:28 am
Lapis: I would try downloading the latest version of the VB6 runtimes, perhaps its due to a bug in a previous version that was fixed in a later service pack. [URL]

Vijchtidoodah
May 25, 2005, 6:28 am
Lapis, get a new computer already.

chrisgbk
May 25, 2005, 7:02 am
His computer is fine, it's his choice to use a modified Win95 shell on a WinME computer. WinME is crap to start with lol.

Anna, check your PMs please.

JiggaBlue
May 25, 2005, 9:33 am
You should try to go in on EnEsCe with this so you can add the algorithm thingy, if you could get that then this would be the ultimate

Boxo
May 25, 2005, 11:39 am
quote:Originally posted by Anna
- MapMakerPlus isn't working on my computer, I'll try it on Michal's computer later. How does the colouring work in MapMakerPlus?

I meant that holding down the mouse button near polygons would make nearby vertices blend into the current colour. It's hard to explain, but very handy.

But nevermind, I figured it out. You can already do it pretty much the same way with the vertex colour option, altough not with the slow blending. I was just confused by the GUI.

Oh yeah, more feature begging & whining:
- waypoints
- ability to rotate polygons freely
- if not that, even the "mirror polygons" option is needed
- ability to resize the window

keep it up

cooz
May 25, 2005, 12:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by JiggaBlueYou should try to go in on EnEsCe with this so you can add the algorithm thingy, if you could get that then this would be the ultimate

that algorithm is nothing so necessary, Anna's PolyWorks dont need it to be "ultimate" ;p

chakapoko maker
May 25, 2005, 1:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by Anna@Vijchtidoodah:

Coloring of MapmakerPlus is almost the same to official mapmaker's shading function. Check the box on and you can add color at selected vertecies near mouse cursor. It goes gradually in default color mode, and it can also add the same color one time in quick color mode. color pallet is the same to MS paint's which unfolds with colour_picker.bmp. custom color saves.

--
Great job :D It's just great and would be a post-standard mapmaker. so I write my humble and frank opinion about it for feedback sake.

[What I like]
-Vertex Selection.
Naturally I expect the function can be applied to scenery edit. If not undo hell remains of scenery.

[What I don't like]
-Some ways to handle things
I make a map with Mapmaker and MapmakerPlus like this:

Put, scroll, put, scroll, put put put and delete
Select, move, Select, move, put put put and delete
100%, put, put, put, select and move
Zoomout, scroll, zoomin, select, move and put
Put, select, move and scroll
Put, select, move and delete
Select, move, split and move
Select, move, split and fix tex
Put, delete, put, select, move, select and split*3
Put, delete, put, select, move and (select, split)*3

It's a seamless process while making polygon/land and I want to have it without moving the mousecursor there and here or hitting the shortcut key, I think mappers know that feeling. Direct operation with Ctrl, Shift and Alt is nice, and the available mapmakers have it. So if this great application had a mixed way of them, it'd be more omgful and be used by every mappers. Below is the list of the handling. Looks very poor but I'm serious ;)

[code]//---------------------------------------------------------------------------
// General
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------

// (command) (key)

Scroll Rdrag
Zoom Wheel
Undo/Switch Middle For undo, it's very frequent and needed to
have one hot key, not short cut combo nor
click somewhere else everytime.

// PolyMode

// (command) (key) (object state) (note)

// about form
SelectPoly L [Free] on the poly
SelectDots Ldrag [Free] editpro-like
MultiSelectPoly Alt+L [Free] on the poly
MultiSelectDots Alt+Ldrag [Free]
UnSelect L [Selected] at null space
MovePoly Shif+L [Selected]
MoveDots Shif+L [Selected]
CreatePoly Ctrl+L [Free]
DeletePoly Ctrl+R, Del [Selected]
Split Shift+R [Selected]

// about color. the way of old mapmaker/+ is good.
// a setting of the amount per frame would be good to be able to add small amount on FPS1200.
//or below way, though it doesn't look good.
AddColor Alt+R [Free] [Selected]
Lighten Alt+Wheelup [Free] [Selected] ditto
Darken Alt+Wheeldown [Free] [Selected] ditto

// SceneryMode

// (command) (key) (object state) (note)

SelectScenery L [Free]
SelectSceneries Ldrag [Free]
MultiSelectScenery Alt+L [Free]
MultiSelectSceneres Alt+Ldrag [Free]
MoveScenery Shif+L [Selected]
MoveScenerie Shif+L [Selected]
CreateScenery Ctrl+L [Free] Create, Move then Set.
DeletePoly Ctrl+R, Del [Selected][/code]

--
I know this might be a load of rubbish!

zambo_the_clown
May 25, 2005, 2:30 pm
OMFG!! this is probably the best program i have ever seen for soldat and its still in beta!!! god i cant wait for it to be completely finished cuz i give this an 12/10!!

will there be a feature that s different from every other map maker that makes shading easier? also i think something easy to add to the program is a soldier replica to show how big a poly or section is compared to the size of a player to help people (especially me) determine poly sizes. And how about a "select all" and "paste mirror" options for polys to help make symetrical maps quicker and easier. just some ideas ^_^

i am ahab
May 25, 2005, 2:31 pm
holy mind bending polys batman!
that just looks fantastic...
this is the product of a lot of time and effort anna very goddam well done. i look forward to having a play.
*rubs eyes*
*looks again*
*rubs eyes*
*looks again*
*smacks side of head*
*looks again*

papasurf31
May 25, 2005, 3:06 pm
The screen which is just solid polygons, (the one that looks like cliff face or something) looks 3 dimensional. Can Soldat maps actually be made like that, which a background made of polygons, or are we still confined to backgorund sceneries and gradients? Basically, i'm asking if this version will be able to create polygons that have lower priority than soldeirs, that show up Behind them but still retain properties, such as collision detection for bullets.

BTW - This program is really cool, don't let it die, and get help from MM if possibe or needed. Thsi should be official.

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 3:55 pm
anna.. will you marry me? (u are a girl right?:|

Michal
May 25, 2005, 8:58 pm
quote:You should try to go in on EnEsCe with this so you can add the algorithm thingy, if you could get that then this would be the ultimate
The thing about that algorithm is that it will speed up the mapping process, but will result in more low quality maps. If you just want to make a "functional" map, that's fine, but most mappers want to make their maps look nice, and from what I've seen, the way it lays out the polys is really bad for nice shading.

grand_diablo
May 25, 2005, 11:38 pm
it would still be useful, cause you could do the basic layout of a map with that algorithm mode, and then correct strangely placed polys and aswell tune the whole thing. would save a lot of time, so Id really like to see some cooperation in this direction, and this algorithm implemented into Soldat PolyWorks.

Deleted User
May 26, 2005, 12:00 am
this is sexxi

Cookie`
May 26, 2005, 12:36 am
Its very good :)

"1. Scrolling - It really needs to be more fluid. It's difficult to tell where you're scrolling to when you have to release just to see where you've moved the screen. This could be extremely confusing if you have a map with many similar polygons in the same area.

2. Controls - First, you should add an option to have the same controls as the official mapmaker. Then, make sure that there aren't seperate buttons for selecting and moving vertices - that's extremely cofusing, time consuming, and annoying when you have to repeatedly change tools. You may want to look at programs such as Photoshop to study what control schemes work best. Or perhaps make mouse button 1 always selects (and possibly moves the vertices after they have been selected) and button 2 always performs the selected function (or, atleast make the point and drag selection tools one and the same).
"

It would be nice if you could use the original controls for panning the map and such as well as polygon selection >.<
As of right now the only thing I would likely use this for is making the map layouts as it is quite fast at that and easy to make curved shapes out of polygons ;)

Anna
May 26, 2005, 1:00 am
@Boxo: I installed MapMakerPlus on my computer correctly and it works now, so I was able to try out colouring and shading. I'll probably incorporate it as an optional way to use the colour tool. Since there seems to be some demand for waypoints I guess I'll be doing that too, but much later. There are already plans for the other stuff you mentioned :)

@chakapoko_maker: Heh, big list there :) You're right about switching between creating and manipulating polys, it isn't seamless enough. I'll work on that for the next version. I am now thinking about implementing customizable controls as well, at least where possible. Some of your suggestions might not be possible though... for example, I'm planning on using right click to show context menus. Anyway, I'll try to make it as user friendly as I can :)

@zambo_the_clown: I was already planning on implementing all the ideas you mentioned :)

@papasurf31: This map editor probably won't be able to do anything different with polys than the other editors do (unless you count "untextured" polys). I'll know for sure what I can and can't do once I've implemented saving.

@Cookie`: It seems that a lot of people don't want to switch to a different set of controls. I know that everyone is used to the default map maker controls, but I don't want to be limited by them. The purpose of this editor is to be intuitive and as user friendly as I can make it, and to achieve that I think I'll need to change the controls from the other map maker somewhat :)

There are no plans to include an algorithm that automatically splits polys into triangles. I am thinking about other ways to speed up the mapping process ;)

I was also wondering what you guys think of my colour picker. I figured out all the calculations myself :P

Solidarnosc
May 26, 2005, 4:16 am
The color picker is cool. It's good that it is able to convert between RGB and HSB. I couldn't help but notice a few runtime errors when dodgy values were input - try typing 101 for Saturation :( . Im sure this is nothing more than a minor oversight.

Deleted User
May 26, 2005, 11:57 am
I was just fooling around with this, and it looks really great. I love how the looks relate to Soldat's main menu. Please finish this soon! ;)

chakapoko maker
May 26, 2005, 3:07 pm
Color picker is good like a dish of mixing paints. Looks so nice as well as other parts :)
Slider_arrow.bmp melts into background and it's little hard to see, as a tribiality.

Anna
May 26, 2005, 4:18 pm
I found and fixed a bug in the colour picker last night, and I'm sure there are lots more :P I'll try to find them all before I release next version. I'll make the slider arrow more visible too :)

Cookie`
May 26, 2005, 9:11 pm
Well the thing is with those controls it is incredibly slow to have to click back and forth between the buttons? maybe add hotkeys so it can be configured to suit the individual

Messiah
May 27, 2005, 4:37 am
WOW!!!! Thats amazing!!!! I dont know much about maps but that just explained everything!!!! Wow, that is amazing, i cant wait!

y0da
May 27, 2005, 2:05 pm
The tool is amazing! Please make it complete before the Contest ends, plz, plz, plz!

cooz
May 27, 2005, 8:47 pm
hm, i was plaing around with PolyWorks awhile, and i dont understand something about map resolution,
when i create poligon, on 1600% zoom texture pixels can be seen clearly on it, but it's possible to make poligon even smaler than one texture pixel,
are those not stretched texture pixels aren't real size pixels (smallest visible objects) in game, or what?

Anna
May 27, 2005, 11:02 pm
I think the pixels you see at 1600% zoom are just the effect of the texture being stretched. :P

Deleted User
May 27, 2005, 11:37 pm
just wondering, but is it possible to have two textures in one map? i.e.: assign polys different texures.

grand_diablo
May 27, 2005, 11:43 pm
as far as ive heard this is possible. But the actual problem is, that Soldat wouldnt use more than 1.

Anna
May 28, 2005, 5:20 am
Small update:
- it's now possible to click on a poly near a vertex with vertex colour tool to colour it
- tooltip shows on all tools
- tool hotkeys (not customizable yet though)
- window titlebars snap to bottom of other windows
- fixed some bugs and improved colour picker (more accurate now)
- selection highlight (experimental)

The new version is up, I wasn't going to update this early but I messed things up a little :s

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 28, 2005, 6:11 am
my wildest dreams have come true! i have always wanted a new one! thankyou so much!
and good job too

cooz
May 28, 2005, 7:39 am
hey, great job with new version!
few things from me about new version:
- maybe u should write something about this update on first page
  of this topic (...change topic and maybe add version number too?)
- hotkeys - works perfectly for me, life's easier now ;)
- tooltips sometimes still arent shown
- selection highlight - makes hard to manipulate texture...
- vertex colouring is good capability, it would work perfect if u could
  hold clicked and move mouse and coloring (just like in mapmaker plus?)
- what's with this snapping, what snaps to what?
  if it's there it's very weak snapping :s
- did u forget to tell us that now map scroling is dynamic? FAN-TA-STIC!

ideas:
+ adding PolyWorks text on Start Taskbar is good idea i think ;)
+ please add moving vertex with arrows - normally one pixel,
  with shift larger unit (just like in photoshop ;> )
+ ps hand when space presed? :)
+ (...one more time) option to turn off coloring poligons edges,
  (black poligons edges on black background :/)
+ possibility to select poligons also like vertex
  not just by clicking and vice versa
+ opposite of Join Verticles - Un-Join Verticles option,
  sometimes can be handy

detected bugs:
- when there's no poligons on map and u try to trun off Poligon from Display,
  two errors accures("Subscrip out of range" and "Automation error")
- whan u make hudge poligon (really really big one) error accures
  (matrix overflow :D)
- when smaller poligon is placed on bigger one there's no way to select only the small one
  with Poly Selection Tool, solution: this tool should select one poligon at once,
  on second click selecting second poligon, 3rd click - 3rd poligon, etc
  (idea from official map maker)
- when Points or Wireframe (from Display) are turned off they are still shown
  when u select poligon with poli of vertex tool (when both truned off it's OK)
- Fixed Texture not working properly for thin poligons,
  and it resets already applyed texture stretch(im not sure, sometimes?)
- when u press delete when one or two poligon vertex are selected, selection disappear
  (not sure how it should work)
- mouse weel zooming is not precise - 100%-125%-156.2%-195.3%-etc up to 1455.1%
  +/- works good, up to 1600%

sorry for long list.

Deleted User
May 28, 2005, 8:42 am
OmFg , woooooooOOOOOOT GREAT DAMN GOOOOOOOD JOB AND WORK !!!! I love ya!!!!!!!
This is AWESOME !!!! I cant believe *scared*
O.O can it be ??? .....*runs around* AAaaaaaa I CANT BELIEVE !!! *INSANE*
Grrrrrrr !!! WooooTT!!!
.... ..... ..... *dead*

Deleted User
May 28, 2005, 9:11 am
quote:Originally posted by DairyOmFg , woooooooOOOOOOT GREAT DAMN GOOOOOOOD JOB AND WORK !!!! I love ya!!!!!!!
This is AWESOME !!!! I cant believe *scared*
O.O can it be ??? .....*runs around* AAaaaaaa I CANT BELIEVE !!! *INSANE*
Grrrrrrr !!! WooooTT!!!
.... ..... ..... *dead*

wtf grow up...

SPARTAN_III
May 28, 2005, 10:19 am
^^very much so.

and geat program btw!1

Deleted User
May 28, 2005, 11:24 am
quote:[i]wtf grow up...

Um ...I didnt made any trainer like child ...programing child.

Deleted User
May 28, 2005, 1:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Dairy

children cant make trainers...

Anna - Are you going to fix that bug of mine "Module not found", or atleast add more debug information to the error trap? (If you are using one)

Aquarius
May 28, 2005, 1:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by AnnaSmall update:
- it's now possible to click on a poly near a vertex with vertex colour tool to colour it
- tooltip shows on all tools
- tool hotkeys (not customizable yet though)
- window titlebars snap to bottom of other windows
- fixed some bugs and improved colour picker (more accurate now)
- selection highlight (experimental)

The new version is up, I wasn't going to update this early but I messed things up a little :s

A new version, great! ;] Please make the save function ASAP, so we could test the PolyWorks with _real_ map making ;]

Anna
May 29, 2005, 12:42 am
@EnEsCe: the error you're getting has to do with missing or corrupt files on your computer, and I have no idea which ones. Try reinstalling the VB runtime files if you haven't already. I can't think of anything else, sorry :P

@Dairy: lol!

@cooz: I took care of a lot of the problems and bugs you mentioned, and some of your ideas are already on my to-do list :) Thanks a lot for the feedback :D I want to respond to some of your points:

- I'll update the first post later, when I've made more progress :P
- about snapping, there are two cases where it happens: when creating a poly, and when moving a group of points that have the same coordinates. Snapping doesn't work if you have two or more vertices with different coordinates selected. The snap radius is 8 pixels, I might make an option to have different values later.

+ the PolyWorks text doesn't show on the taskbar because I took out the titlebar text so that the titlebar wouldn't show. This is also why it covers the taskbar when it's maximized. It's not that important though so I'm just going to leave it for now.
+ about the polygon edges, if you're working with black polys you can see them if you turn of the polys layer and the background layer, and change the back colour to something other than black. I'm still thinking about how to colour the wireframe without adding too much stuff to the render routine.

- I'll put in some limits to the poly coordinates... looks like DirectX couldn't handle your giant polygon ;p
- about the mouse wheel zooming, it works with a multiplier (0.8 to zoom out, 1.25 to zoom in). I'll make it go to 1600% after 1455.1% with the mouse wheel so you don't have to use the keys.

some of the things I did today:
- fixed some bugs
- modified Fixed Texture and polygon selection
- fixed deleting polys so the partially selected polys remain selected

a very short-term list of things I'm going to do:
- selection using "regions"
- option for MapMaker Plus style colouring
- holding shift while creating/moving to use 45°/90°
- context menus and more keyboard shortcuts
- option to load textures from a list
- poly transformations: scale, rotate, flip
- automaticaly store and load user settings at start
- custom mouse cursors for tools
- grid/snap to grid
- fix more bugs
- craploads of other stuff ><

@Aquarius: I am a slow coder ;p

Deleted User
May 29, 2005, 9:27 am
- grid/snap to grid

I don't know what to say...I've been waiting for that feature in a mapmaker for so long! Great job :)

cooz
May 29, 2005, 2:15 pm
hey panno Aniu, im glad i can help with testing such good program,
btw u wrong understood my question about snapping,
i was asking about this "window titlebars snap to bottom of other windows"
which works in really delicate way
not about verticles snapping which mechanism i understand
(maybe it would be better if it also snaped mouse cursor?)

"holding shift while creating/moving to use 45°/90°"
hmm, in soldat there isn't so many 45° tilt poligons,
what u say about multiple of 30°?

but those are just details and like Aquarius said,
now we can edit maps but we still cant create them...

oh one more thing,
look, intergalaxy warp tunnel:
[IMAGE]
;>

Anna
May 29, 2005, 3:46 pm
hehe nice :)
With the window snapping, it's actually the upper left corner of the window snaps to the lower left corner :P Also the tools window doesn't snap at all yet. I'm going to change it so they all snap to everything. Oh and I forgot to mention that double clicking on the titlebars collapses the window.
I think I can do both 45° and 30° angles while holding shift (for poly creation at least).

Cookie`
May 29, 2005, 11:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by EnEsCequote:Originally posted by Dairy

children cant make trainers...

Anna - Are you going to fix that bug of mine "Module not found", or atleast add more debug information to the error trap? (If you are using one)

yes we live that for the chimpanzees to do its too easy for children >.<

and YAY FOR HOTKEYS!!!

Pixofied
June 4, 2005, 5:37 pm
Sweet. I tried the Official Map maker, didn't like it, hadn't got a clue what I was doing... In this I do though, took me less than 3 minutes to get aqquainted with the controls and functions. Realy do hope this will be finished. :P

I've had no errors and what not, if I find any bugs i'll be sure to edit this, and post what I find. Hopefully this will become the offical one... :D

Suggestions:
- On the texture pannel, maybe you should add a 'Remove' button, or 'None' as a texture. (Just quicker thats all.)
- Display the name of the map thats open at the moment. (Maybe on the title bar?)
- An options screen, for all the keyboard shorcuts and such.

Nukem
June 5, 2005, 6:47 pm
your work is great, but why dont u try to focus on making saving available before adding new features?

CamBot
June 5, 2005, 11:20 pm
STICKY!!!!!!
*Gawks & Ogles*
DAng this loooks SWEEEEEEEET!
And I was wondering what are the requirements that are needed to use this.

Deleted User
June 6, 2005, 6:19 am
this is pretty kick-ass. I can't wait till it's finished. I'm not much of a mapper, but I'll use this when it comes out ;)

CamBot
June 7, 2005, 3:47 am
*Drooooools*
The snapping of the vertices is SSOOOOOOO nice. It's my dreams come true.

Deleted User
June 7, 2005, 3:57 am
Component 'MBMouse.ocx' or one of it's dependencies is not currently registered; a file is missing or invalid," Why does this message come up?

Jamesmax0
June 7, 2005, 4:42 am
This looks so cool... *cries*

Anna
June 7, 2005, 6:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by JpsychoComponent 'MBMouse.ocx' or one of it's dependencies is not currently registered; a file is missing or invalid," Why does this message come up?

Try putting MBMouse.ocx into your system32 folder. If it still doesn't work try to register it: start -> run, type in regsvr32 MBMouse.ocx.

Deleted User
June 12, 2005, 5:03 am
looks so awesome

Deleted User
June 12, 2005, 5:11 am
to bad it doesnt work.....

Rambo_6
June 14, 2005, 3:25 am
can't wait for a final version of this, even though i don't map :P

Maybe i'll make one or two more maps...

Deleted User
June 14, 2005, 9:35 am
yea.. you've said that to many times:P i bet you will return..

Anna
June 16, 2005, 1:30 am
I've released a new version of PolyWorks :D I've edited the original post to include the download and a list of changes.

@papasurf31: looks like an error with DirectX :s Try the new version, it might give more information about the problem.

@dascoo: it would help if you gave some more information.

I thought of something this morning and I'd like some opinions on whether or not I should implement support for it.

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

It would allow people to do effects that are normally done with sceneries, with some differences. Some of the graphics would be included in the texture file and used on polys instead of on sceneries. It would be possible to stretch and colour the polys in ways that isn't possible with sceneries. However it's very similar to using sceneries so I don't know if people would find it useful. I think it has potential though :P

Vijchtidoodah
June 16, 2005, 2:00 am
!!!

It turns sceneries into polygons? I LOVE YOU!

Anna
June 16, 2005, 2:29 am
Heh, not exactly... it has to be part of the texture file. Then the texture coordinates are manipulated so that certain parts of the texture are shown. It's not that great and would require a larger texture file, but I can think of some situations where it might be better than using sceneries.

Edit: I just realized this would also allow for the effect of multiple textures in one map :o I'll do some more exprimentation...

Jamesmax0
June 16, 2005, 4:10 am
This is looking awesome, keep uo the good work :D

LazehBoi
June 16, 2005, 8:56 am
Hahahah. What the heck is that picture of Michal doing in that screenshot?
This keeps getting more awesome over time.

Deleted User
June 16, 2005, 9:36 am
Great job Anna.

chakapoko maker
June 16, 2005, 12:01 pm
Update! :D
I have tried the new one, and it seems not to show the display and pallete window with they on. Btw OS is WinMe.

Keron Cyst
June 16, 2005, 5:18 pm
Can the "blend wireframe" mode (Anna's second post in this thread) be used for the map's actual color scheme, complete with the polygon vertex squares? And two of the windows don't work (Palette, and one other one; I'm running a Windows ME, like that other person).

N1nj@
June 17, 2005, 12:23 am
Great job there Anna, excellent update, I love it =)

Boxo
June 17, 2005, 2:01 am
This is so damn cool :OO

*dies*

Pixofied
June 17, 2005, 1:56 pm
I can't see half the windows. They spawn OUTSIDE the view of my screen, anyway of getting them back in?

Didn't happen in the other version.

EDIT: Maybe you could put in a Window item, to Cacade and Tile Horizontally and Vertically?

Keron Cyst
June 17, 2005, 4:47 pm
There's an option tab at the top to specify your own dimensions for the program ;-)

Anna
June 17, 2005, 9:25 pm
The problem with the windows not working probably happens because I screwed up the loading of the window coordinates somehow. (I hate the "twips" thing in VB ><) I'll see if I can fix it, as well as put an option to center everything depending on the screen resolution. I'll update as soon as I do that.

@Keron Cyst: Are you talking about making the blending stuff and vertex squares actually show up in Soldat? It's just a rendering thing I did, it doesn't have anything to do with the map file, so it's not possible right now. It would be cool to play in a map that looks like that though :)

Thanks for the feedback guys :) More features coming soon :D

BTW here is an example of faking multiple textures:
[IMAGE]

The two main drawbacks of this are larger texture files and the texture doesn't tile anymore (it can be simulated but takes more time). Also maps like this look messier :P

Aquarius
June 17, 2005, 10:48 pm
Nice hack with the multiple textures, Anna ;)

chrisgbk
June 17, 2005, 11:14 pm
If you don't like twips, do it in pixels and multiply by Screen.TwipsPerPixelX or Screen.TwipsPerPixelY depending on whether you're dealing with the horizontal or vertical axis. Or, in the case of objects on forms, change the ScaleMode property of the form to 3 - Pixel.

cooz
June 17, 2005, 11:58 pm
great job with those multi-textures, and all other new things too ;)

btw, something is wrong with grids when zooming...

N1nj@
June 18, 2005, 3:19 am
it's not so bad with the multiple textures, I think it will come up good =) gj

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 4:45 am
Still no fix for that missing module error...?

No its not corrupt files on my comp, I program in vb like every day and never get that error using any of the default components.. Mind listing any of the OCX/DLL or API DLL's you used? (or PM me)

Anna
June 18, 2005, 4:55 am
I've made changes to the window coordinates stuff, hope it works now :P You can reset window locations from the menu as well. I also fixed a small bug with grid transparency.

@chrisgbk: I was carelessly using the twips per pixel value in some places, and 15 in others, which is probably why it was screwed up :P Should be ok now.

@cooz: if you're talking about the grid lines disappearing when you zoom out, that's because I made it so that if the lines are closer than 8 pixels they don't get drawn.

@EnEsCe: from looking at references/components and api calls, there's MBMouse.ocx, COMDLG32.OCX, mscomctl.ocx, gdi32.dll, user32.dll, shell32.dll, ole32.dll, msvbvm60.dll, dx8vb.dll, scrrun.dll. I still don't know what to do about it.

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 7:01 am
Hah, I just searched whole C:/ for those DLL's, all were found EXCEPT sccrun.dll, so that may be the missing component... You didnt mean scrrun.dll did you?

EDIT: All works fine now, ty very much ^_^

EDIT AGAIN: looks like your download mirror is down, bandwidth lol.. Heres a temp mirror -> http://enesce.com/files/uploads/Soldat%20PolyWorks.zip

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 9:31 am
for some reason scenery doesn't show up even how many maps i try. i tried "bridge" and there was no scenery. then i tried it with mapmaker pluss, then it worked.

What is wrong?

HUH?

Aquarius
June 18, 2005, 9:55 am
AFAIK there is no scenery support yet.

cooz
June 18, 2005, 10:42 am
quote:Originally posted by Anna@cooz: if you're talking about the grid lines disappearing when you zoom out, that's because I made it so that if the lines are closer than 8 pixels they don't get drawn.

no no, i mean that snapping to grid isn't precise, it can be seen in big enlarged that verticles aren't created right on grid,

on more thing, in default spacing/division (32/4) i think it works ok, but whan i changed it to 50/4 this bug appears.

edit:
ok, 50 cant be divided to 4 and give integer value,
my mistake, just when i had 50/2 and wanted to operate with thicker grid i didnt realize that it may cause errors, whatever :S

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 11:11 am
w0w new version , must check it out.

I had one problem. Where I must instal this mapmaker coz I instaled it to my Soldat directory but when I started it. It could'nt find any scenerys and textures. When I choose scenery window it was totaly empty :\

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 11:57 am
quote:Originally posted by Dairyw0w new version , must check it out.

I had one problem. Where I must instal this mapmaker coz I instaled it to my Soldat directory but when I started it. It could'nt find any scenerys and textures. When I choose scenery window it was totaly empty :you need to edit settings.txt and change the first line to your soldat path

Avarax
June 18, 2005, 12:26 pm
system error &H8007007E (-2147024770)

thats what i get when i start it.
i installed it into my soldat folderr and changed the path in the settings.txt.

Avarax
June 18, 2005, 12:27 pm
system error &H8007007E (-2147024770)

thats what i get when i start it.
i installed it into my soldat folderr and changed the path in the settings.txt.

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 12:42 pm
@Avarax: You need to copy the MBMouse.ocx and all the other OCX/DLL's in the PolyWorks folder into your C:/WINDOWS/System32/ folder

then click start -> run -> cmd -> for each dll/ocx type 'regsvr32 C:/windows/system32/<name>'
<name> = DLL/OCX Name including the extension.

Avarax
June 18, 2005, 1:44 pm
thanks a lot :)

Anna
June 18, 2005, 5:07 pm
@EnEsCe: glad it works now :)

@cooz: I hadn't tested the grid with those numbers, I'll try to fix it. Thanks for letting me know :)

Scenery is coming soon, and I'm going to implement my own compiling too... hopefully it'll mean less poly bugs.

btw it's also possible to change the directory settings from the preferences window. :P

Keron Cyst
June 18, 2005, 5:17 pm
What happened to my post?
I mentioned that the Display & Palette windows don't appear. I'm running a WinME and clicking them does nothing, checked or unchecked.

Anna
June 18, 2005, 5:41 pm
Still? :s Try Window -> Workspace -> Reset Window Locations

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 6:09 pm
Dear Lord, Anna, the latest version of your tool works flawlessly for me. I can make maps and save them now, without error or delay.

I eagerly await the implementation of sceneries, Anna.

Thank you so very much.

Pixofied
June 19, 2005, 3:09 pm
Just something I found odd. If I change anything to a map, i'm not promted to save it. Could lose alot of hard work... Also, resetting the window, resized the main one. Anyway of doing it manually?

- Nice job on the windows BTW, works now.

Deleted User
June 19, 2005, 5:06 pm
I think it's pretty horrible. Selecting a different tool for every action is just too slow. The hot keys of original mapmaker worked much better. (ctrl+left mouse = polygon placement etc.)

Anna
June 19, 2005, 5:30 pm
@Lapis: yay :D

@Pixofied: Saving was actually a last minute thing, I'll have it fixed up for the next version :) You can resize the main window from Preferences. Also in settings.txt, the main window dimensions are at lines 36 and 37, and the main window position is at lines 38 and 39.

@Ville Mk.2: no one is forcing you to switch ;) I actually did try to make the create tool work more like in map maker but it's not possible because I made alt switch to the colour picker and shift is going to be for constrained poly placement (certain angles). It's much more noob friendly this way as well.

Last night I got compiling to work, and it looks like there are less poly bugs :) I think it's because the sector generation in the original map maker is accurate to 5 pixels, while my method is completely accurate (as far as I know). It's still pretty slow though (about 2-3 minutes to compile ctf_Equinox).

Still no comments about the vertex colour modes... just so you know, my motivation is directly proportional to the amount of feedback I get >.>

Vijchtidoodah
June 19, 2005, 7:03 pm
Just to agree with cookie, customization is definitely the key to a good mapmaker. You could either have a few suggested preset settings or add in a complete button mapping option.

Oh, by the way, great job! I'm really amazed at how swiftly you're producing this thing. I can't wait to give it a good test run now that I can save and compile.

Deleted User
June 20, 2005, 4:12 pm
Hey! Sorry for my noobish skills on your mapmaker , but I dont know hot to put scenerys in there :\

Oh , im sorry , I think I've got it. Its a polywork so u cant set a scenerys there. Am I right ?

And BTW that scenery button wich makes me to see\hide scenerys dont work for me.

damnnation
June 20, 2005, 9:10 pm
whow that's nice, i love this!! plz keep it up

Michal
June 20, 2005, 9:32 pm
I find it odd that so many of you are saying that this editor will be more time consuming. The time it takes to switch tools is nothing compared to the time taken up by the flaws of the original editor, like improperly snapped vertexes, polybugs, poor colouring system, poor selection, bad zoom control, buggy compile, and countless other problems.
It took me a few weeks working around an hour a day to make my first map (inf_POWcamp) in the original editor and it was still buggy as hell. I made inf_Industrial in 2 days with editpro even though I had to convert it to .pms every time I wanted to test. I consider Industrial a much higher quality map, and it was much more easy and fun to make it with the simple and convenient interface of editpro. PolyWorks has the same kind of interface and it will not change to be more like the original editor.

Vijchtidoodah
June 21, 2005, 1:41 am
:)

While I disagree with your point of view, I absolutely LOVE you for taking a stance and saying that you won't change just to please other people.

Elephant_Hunter
June 21, 2005, 2:06 am
Small suggestion, Anna. You should be able to auto-detect the Soldat directory with the registry. The Soldat executable path is stored in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Soldat\DefaultIcon.

By the way, you've done worlds more with this than I had expected. My hat's off to you.

Anna
June 21, 2005, 2:53 am
Thanks Elephant Hunter :) That looks like it could be useful. I'm going to keep the path selection the way it is though, because I want people to be able to have their own folders in case they want to keep their own stuff seperate (Michal wanted it that way :P).

@everyone who is dissatisfied with the controls: I'm going to keep it the way it is unless someone comes up with something a lot better... but I don't really think that's possible. I've been thinking about it a lot and I just can't come up with a way that doesn't require switching tools and at the same time retains all the functionality.

@HHH: that would probably be too difficult to implement, and bad for shading :P

DeMonIc
June 21, 2005, 10:38 am
This is my last post about this, scout's honour.

Maybe if you'd assign certain keys to tasks, like so: while the key is pushed, the task assigned to it is selected. That'd give the feel of the old map maker to people. Since you have a lot of tasks, you'd need a lot of keys. Either make the keys customizable then, or here's an example table for tasks:
Move: hold shift
Create: hold control
Vertex selection: hold right mouse
Poly selection: hold alt.
Vertex colour: X + right mouse.
Poly colour: Alt + right mouse.
Texture: Shift + right mouse.

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 10:48 am
;_;

Maps I made in Polyworks won't load properly in Mapmaker Plus or the official Mapmaker! In Plus I get an "???????" error and in the official editor it says "Read beyond end of file".

The map then loads with no background colours, and the polygons are all black. Then, if I try to load the map again, it gives the same error and loads it this time with polygons with normal colours but the background is still white.

cooz
June 21, 2005, 11:16 am
It's now possible to save, and the saved files work with the regular map maker (with only a few errors ;)). I've been looking at the compiling code in the map maker source and I'm pretty sure I can come up with a way to do it in only a few seconds regardless of the map size.

:P

KeFear
June 21, 2005, 11:24 am
Well, i tried the latest version, and i can tell what others said. The tools slow down the whole thing a bit. If i wouldn't have to click on each tool every time, map making would be much faster. Like I want to move a couple of poligons, i click on the select poly tool, click on some polis, then click on the move tool, then i try to move the ploys, then i realize i didn't select one of the polys, i click on select poly tool, etc... it would be much easier if the tools would work much like the way the original mapmaker handles them.

And save doesn't work yet.. too bad.

LazehBoi
June 21, 2005, 11:33 am
I would like it a lot more if the hotkeys for the tools were closer together instead of all around the keyboard.
Maybe it could be something like 1 for move, 2 for create, q for vertex selection, w for poly selection, e for vertex colour, s for poly colour and z for the texture stretcher?
edit:
|
V lol horkeys :>

grand_diablo
June 21, 2005, 11:38 am
Id prefer customizale horkeys so everyone could set them as he wishes and doesnt have to "relearn" if doesnt want to

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 2:03 pm
Suggestion and questions:

Will this maker be able to put scenerys ?
No compile ?
No adding player spawnpoints???
No adding add-ons ???
Will be there a "help" with the hotkeys ? Now im too cofuzed. :S
Poligon color? I mean that whats in official mapmaker. Green = "color" Red = "color" Yellow = "color"

Thanks.

cooz
June 21, 2005, 3:12 pm
======:

just shut up???
:d

Thanks.

Anna
June 21, 2005, 5:37 pm
@DeMonIc: using a letter key as a modifier isn't the "standard" way of doing things, so I'd prefer to avoid that. Also right click isn't available because it's probably going to be used for context menus. It would be awkward to hold down a key and use the modifiers at the same time. It would be hard to remember every single combination. Thanks for trying :) But I just don't think it's practical :P

@Stalky: when a map loads with black polys in the MapMaker you can get the colours to show by resetting one of the background colours.

@KeFear: holding ctrl while using a selection tool switches to the move tool. All the tool functions are explained in my first post.

@LazehBoi: there will be customizable hotkeys in the next version :)

The next version of PolyWorks will be fully working (compiling, scenery, spawns, etc) so you won't have to use any other map makers :) Compiling still takes a long time, sometimes longer than the original Map Maker (the number of sectors is higher than I first thought). However it looks like I've eliminated the "bouncy poly" bug.

Here is another idea i just got: how about another tool, which lets you assign any four functions to it? So one possibility is:
click: vertex selection
shift+click: move
ctrl+click: create
alt+click: poly selection
just like in the original map maker :P Or you could have create, create (constrained), vertex selection, and vertex selection (add)...

What do you think?

Toumaz
June 21, 2005, 5:49 pm
Well, as long as the polygons don't go crazy when compliling I do not care how long time it takes. :)

Great job, Anna!

cooz
June 21, 2005, 5:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by AnnaThe next version of PolyWorks will be fully working (compiling, scenery, spawns, etc) so you won't have to use any other map makers :) Compiling still takes a long time, sometimes longer than the original Map Maker (the number of sectors is higher than I first thought). However it looks like I've eliminated the "bouncy poly" bug.

i like this part the most! :)
were waitting with hold breath...

Michal
June 21, 2005, 7:14 pm
Yes, finally there will be no more unpredictable bouncy polygons :D
But poor poly placement can still result in poly bugs. The ideal poly placement with this editor is all the triangles joined to each other by their corners.

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 8:03 pm
No..more...bouncy polygons?

:OOO

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 9:36 pm
how the hell did you manage to remove them?

Vijchtidoodah
June 21, 2005, 10:12 pm
quote:Last night I got compiling to work, and it looks like there are less poly bugs :) I think it's because the sector generation in the original map maker is accurate to 5 pixels, while my method is completely accurate (as far as I know).

It helps if you read, HHH.

Great job, guys!

Elephant_Hunter
June 22, 2005, 2:36 am
quote:Originally posted by AnnaThanks Elephant Hunter :) That looks like it could be useful. I'm going to keep the path selection the way it is though, because I want people to be able to have their own folders in case they want to keep their own stuff seperate (Michal wanted it that way :P).

It might be of use if you default to the directory listed in the registry (instead of "c:\soldat\"), but still allowed for manual path selection via preferences.

Anna
June 22, 2005, 3:01 am
Yeah, I thought of that soon after I posted :P First it would check if the directory in settings.txt exists, if it doesn't it would set it to the directory listed in the registry. Much more convenient :)

Deleted User
June 22, 2005, 12:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by StalkyNo more bouncy polygons.

Whoa!!! Very good job !

Goofy_92
June 22, 2005, 12:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by Dairyquote:Originally posted by StalkyNo more bouncy polygons.

Whoa!!! Very good job !

NOOooooOO!!1
No more bouncy polygons, it's fun to hop and hop. :'(

Keron Cyst
June 22, 2005, 7:05 pm
So you can finally fix the freakin' polygon that most of the time prevents me from dropping through the central hole in ctf_b2b?

Anna
June 22, 2005, 8:31 pm
Unfortunately it looks like that bug is caused by bad poly placement :s There are many small overlapping polys in that area, and the collision in Soldat tends to have problems when there are lots of vertices near each other. Using a triangle fan shape instead would fix the problem. My compile only prevents poly bugs that occur along the edge of a poly :P

Avarax
June 23, 2005, 12:38 pm
OMG!!!

when u edit an already sceneried map and then open it with usual mapmaker all the scenery is gone -.-

i now have to do everything again...

Deleted User
June 23, 2005, 12:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by AvaraxOMG!!!

when u edit an already sceneried map and then open it with usual mapmaker all the scenery is gone -.-

Didn't do that for me.

cooz
June 23, 2005, 12:59 pm
lol on u Avarax ;d

Keron Cyst
June 23, 2005, 4:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by AvaraxOMG!!!

Not if you didn't save *lol* :-D Mine's still there (I didn't save). But for me it doesn't show previously set scenery either...

Cookie.
June 24, 2005, 12:25 am
I think something that would be a quite awesome feature is a shapes tool! :)
With it you could for example drag a rectangle shape to size or a semi-circle perhaps :)
Btw the hotkeys confuse me....

Keron Cyst
June 24, 2005, 4:33 am
Yeah, a Readme is definitely needed; I don't think even your posts regarding them cover all the possible functions, Anna :-P

Deleted User
June 24, 2005, 5:13 am
It's still not finished yet guys. Once its done I'm sure a guide will be included.

DeMonIc
June 25, 2005, 9:36 am
Is it me or you really took out the divide polygon tool? :(

cooz
June 25, 2005, 10:47 am
it was never included but u can divide edge of opposive selected vertex with:
Edit -> Split at Vertex (or Ctrl+l) ;d

Elephant_Hunter
June 25, 2005, 9:06 pm
I've been toying around with this and making a few small maps. Everything looks great that you have working so far. You should consider changing the affected radius of vertices by the Vertex Colour tool to be proportional to the zoom level, like the Snap to Vertices ability.

Vijchtidoodah
June 26, 2005, 3:11 am
Hmm...all of the other mapmakers don't show the edges of the polygons and this makes scenery placement extremely difficult. Could you please make sure to add that in?

Michal
June 26, 2005, 3:28 am
Yeah, I suggested that a while ago but for some reason Anna didn't want to do it ¬_¬

Keron Cyst
June 26, 2005, 7:21 am
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIcIs it me or you really took out the divide polygon tool? :(

I don't see how that can be a disadvantage. What's the purpose of that, anyways?

[/relatively off-topic]

Deleted User
June 26, 2005, 10:27 am
Keron Cyst: I think some people start making maps by laying down a few basic polygons, then using the divide tool to split them up for a smoother map.

Cookie.
June 27, 2005, 3:47 am
Yes you can use the divide polygon to make very nice curved edges :) and using it makes sure all the polygons fit perfect

Anna
June 28, 2005, 4:55 am
@Avarax: that sucks :( Hopefully the next version of PolyWorks will make up for it ;)

@Cookie.: the import function I have planned should take care of that :) Your post got me thinking about combining importing with a shapes tool but I'm not sure if it's practical yet.

@Elephant_Hunter: I'm not sure what you mean... the radius of the vertex colour changes with the zoom level, so it's always the same relative to the vertex positions. The snap radius is always 8 pixels regardless of the zoom level (this allows for greater precision when zoomed in).

@Vijchtidoodah: I think I can make a button or something that renders the edges for a single frame (that way it won't make the render routine any slower). It's actually not too hard to predict how the edges are going to look if you know the height of the edge bitmap.

here is a little update:
[IMAGE]

I had some difficulties with loading and displaying scenery... seems like the original map maker saves some bad scenery data, like inactive scenery and unused textures, but I think I've accounted for that. The other thing is, when I load a texture it's automatically scaled up to the nearest power of 2. I make it re-scale the texture when the sprite is rendered but this means that the scenery ends up looking blurred :/ Fortunately it isn't that noticable on most sceneries (it looks really bad with text though). Somehow, this doesn't happen in Soldat or the map maker but I don't know how that's done :P

Elephant_Hunter
June 28, 2005, 6:16 am
quote:Originally posted by Anna@Elephant_Hunter: I'm not sure what you mean... the radius of the vertex colour changes with the zoom level, so it's always the same relative to the vertex positions. The snap radius is always 8 pixels regardless of the zoom level (this allows for greater precision when zoomed in).

Sorry, I meant to say that the Vertex Colour Tool's radius should remain unaffected and not become bloated or infintismly small if you zoom in or out. It should act much like the snap radius.

As it stands, when I'm zoomed out it seems decent. In this example the colour tool affects the dotted vertex from within the black circle.

[IMAGE]

... but when I zoom in I can't edit colours with quite the same precision.

[IMAGE]

PopeJohnPaul_II
July 1, 2005, 8:49 am
This is a good start. I'm going to use PolyWorks from now on to place my polies. Much more professional than MapMaker. It's crazy, the things you kids can do with Visual Basic nowadays. Better than dealing with all those tacky brackets.

At first it was giving me "Runtime Error 5", so I scavenged my pc thinking it was some funky dll. Lucky for me the problem was just that I have no C drive, and the config file had a reference to it in the first line. I changed it to I: (my default drive) and it worked fine. Probably not a biggy.

Deleted User
July 1, 2005, 7:01 pm
quote:Originally posted by Anna@Avarax: that sucks :( Hopefully the next version of PolyWorks will make up for it ;)

@Cookie.: the import function I have planned should take care of that :) Your post got me thinking about combining importing with a shapes tool but I'm not sure if it's practical yet.

@Elephant_Hunter: I'm not sure what you mean... the radius of the vertex colour changes with the zoom level, so it's always the same relative to the vertex positions. The snap radius is always 8 pixels regardless of the zoom level (this allows for greater precision when zoomed in).

@Vijchtidoodah: I think I can make a button or something that renders the edges for a single frame (that way it won't make the render routine any slower). It's actually not too hard to predict how the edges are going to look if you know the height of the edge bitmap.

here is a little update:
[IMAGE]

I had some difficulties with loading and displaying scenery... seems like the original map maker saves some bad scenery data, like inactive scenery and unused textures, but I think I've accounted for that. The other thing is, when I load a texture it's automatically scaled up to the nearest power of 2. I make it re-scale the texture when the sprite is rendered but this means that the scenery ends up looking blurred :/ Fortunately it isn't that noticable on most sceneries (it looks really bad with text though). Somehow, this doesn't happen in Soldat or the map maker but I don't know how that's done :P

i also had trouble pulling up the scenery too...i kept clicking on the scenery box but for somereaon the scenery wasent coming up...i check on that.

N1nj@
July 2, 2005, 2:38 pm
Dude, if you would read, you would know that scenery is not supported yet. That picture is an updated version that anna is working on and yet to be release

Keron Cyst
July 5, 2005, 1:18 am
The Display & Palette windows still don't show when I click on 'em. Windows ME.

Keron Cyst
July 5, 2005, 5:02 pm
True, true; I forgot exactly what's up with them, but if I recall correctly they're grayed out or something like that {:-/

Anna
July 5, 2005, 5:45 pm
@chakapoko maker: those commands have not been implemented yet, except for Workspace. You should make sure you have the newest version of PolyWorks (I think it's version 0.8.0.8.). If you go to Workspace -> Reset Window Locations it should make all the windows show.

@Keron Cyst: I forgot that I've added stuff to my settings.txt since releasing that version >.< The first line is line 1, the lines to change the palette and display windows are actually:

line 40: true
line 41: 0
line 42: 0

line 46: true
line 47: 0
line 48: 0

this is what the settings.txt file should look like.

If it still doesn't work, I think you guys should just wait for the next version, it should be fixed by then :P

Keron Cyst
July 5, 2005, 11:09 pm
BTW, I added some polygons and fixed others through Soldat PolyWorks on a CTF map I'd been working on for a long time now (over 270 polygons and ~100 scenery pieces) which I had mapped mainly with MapMaker Plus, and now it won't load (whenever I try to MMP makes an error that forces me every time to close it through [CTRL] + [ALT] + [DEL]). Did you ever advise on not editing maps using it that were previously worked on through another map editor? :-(

Keron Cyst
July 5, 2005, 11:13 pm
BTW, I added some polygons and fixed others through Soldat PolyWorks on a CTF map I'd been working on for a b]long time now (over 270 polygons and ~100 scenery pieces) which I had mapped mainly with MapMaker Plus[/b], and now it won't load (whenever I try to MMP makes an error that forces me every time to close it through [CTRL] + [ALT] + [DEL]). Did you ever advise on not editing maps using it that were previously worked on through another map editor? :-(

moysturfurmer
July 5, 2005, 11:40 pm
WOW. Very nice work.

Anna
July 6, 2005, 12:03 am
Keron Cyst, if you look at the original post in the list of updates it says "partial saving (just poly data and background colours)" and at the top, "This version of Soldat PolyWorks is still missing several important features, including saving and scenery". So basically, if you saved over your map with PolyWorks you've lost some data :(
If you open it in Map Maker you might be able to salvage the polys though.

Keron Cyst
July 6, 2005, 12:51 am
Thanks. The scenery won't take long; it's just the polys I was wondering about...
I'll go test out that settings.TXT thing now.

Keron Cyst
July 6, 2005, 12:54 am
... If you open it in Map Maker you might be able to salvage the polys though.
Ooh, thanks! And I'll go test out that settings.TXT thing now.

Some of you might think me insane for such a calm response, but I set the wrong type for some scenery anyways :-P It's probably better redoing the scenery. As long as I have the polygons it's all good.

chakapoko maker
July 6, 2005, 12:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Anna@chakapoko maker: those commands have not been implemented yet, except for Workspace. You should make sure you have the newest version of PolyWorks (I think it's version 0.8.0.8.) Host seems to be down right now so here is a mirror). If you go to Workspace -> Reset Window Locations it should make all the windows show.
It works, sorry I had been thinking I used the latest version anyhow. Pallete and Display windows appear with Reset Window Locations.

And it quits when I hit Ctrl+j as the first action.

Anna
July 6, 2005, 5:08 pm
That bug happens when you press ctrl+J when there are no vertices selected :P I already fixed the bug so it won't happen in the next version. Glad it works for you now :D

Deleted User
July 8, 2005, 10:21 am
hey, any idea when the next version will be ready, and if the maps will have all the features they have been missing. im looking forward to using this but only once its complete

Anna
July 8, 2005, 9:41 pm
Taal, I'm aiming to have the next version out in one or two weeks. All the missing features required for making complete maps will be implemented. For the version after that I'll be focusing on fixing bugs, better error trapping, making it more stable, adding more functions such as undo and import, and implementing a few extra features that I've been planning ;)

cooz
July 8, 2005, 10:59 pm
hmm, im just wondering how are U planning to implement special poligons(deadlu,ice,no colision, etc)? :S

papasurf31
July 9, 2005, 12:29 am
Direct3D initialization failed
D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

I this my computer's problem or something with the program? And is it possible to fix (gimme some help please).

Pixofied
July 24, 2005, 10:57 pm
Hey, just wondering what the state is on this now? (Any approx. release date?)

- Adios

Anna
July 28, 2005, 11:48 pm
It's taking me longer than I expected, but it should be out in less than a week. Also, everyone is welcome to join me on irc in #soldat.polyworks :)

Deleted User
July 29, 2005, 1:55 am
#soldat.polyworks is where all the sh*t is happening, yo.

Deleted User
August 3, 2005, 5:45 am
OMG!

What a cool application!

Thankyou for this :)

let me know if you need beta testers :)

Woo hoo!

EDIT:

what server is #soldat.polyworks on? irec.freenode.net does not have anyone in room :(

Rambo_6
August 3, 2005, 5:53 am
I noticed that people are makign maps using this.

But i thought there was no save feature.. ? Do they copy it into another editor?

EDIT: I downloaded it to C:/Soldat/Polyworks, but i get an error regarding titlebar_main.bmp. Wtffff...

Anna
August 3, 2005, 7:19 am
SloppyTACO and Rambo_6, PolyWorks isn't ready for release yet but if you want to test the current version you can come to #soldat.polyworks, on irc.quakenet.org :)

Deleted User
August 9, 2005, 1:25 am
EDIT::
the new version of polyworks at Soldat IRC compiled the map, and now it works, thanks :)

OLD MESSAGE: (I am leaveing it here so other mappers haveing same problems can find solution)

yea cool :)

I am going to come and visir your fine IRC :)

I made a sweet map today, and am haveing problems loading it into the normal map maker... here is what I did:

I made a totaly l337 looking map in Inkscape... ported it to a map file from the SVG converter...
Opened it in the original map maker...
placed a player start, and a red player start...
poped into Soldat, and checked for bouncy polys, and for scaleing issues...
then it was off to polyworks for a paintjob...

I got it looking SWEET!! and saved the file...

now I try to open it to compile it in map maker, and it gives me a "Read beyond end of file" error, then it gives me a :
"access violation at address 004798AF in module 'mapMaker.exe'. Read of address 0384f46c.
and just loops there at the last error...
I have to press cntrl-alt-del and close map make in task manager...

I have tried to reset the background to the default values you have,
I have tried moveing the entire map around,
and I have tried to reset all the values to dafault... but still no luck..

What i am hopeing is to compile the map in your nightly build and try to get it to open up in map maker again ...

I have a feeeling the player starts I added before are screwing me up now :/

well here I com to IRC :)

Anna
August 11, 2005, 5:31 am
I apologize for the delay, I know it's been a long while since I last updated the thread. Some of the features I've been implementing are taking much longer than expected :P However I've been getting a lot of good feedback from people and as a result the next version of PolyWorks is going to be better than I originally expected :)
Here is a list of some of the features I've already implemented:

- fast compile, no bouncy polys
- poly types
- automatic directory detection (thanks to Elephant_Hunter for the tip)
- colour picker: get colours from screen
- scenery and functions for scenery manipulation
- set map options
- spawn points and colliders
- scaling and rotation of polys and scenery
- flip/rotate functions
- gostek object

bond_james_bond
August 11, 2005, 11:47 am
It's because of people like you that my passion for this game grows.

Awesome!!

Deleted User
August 12, 2005, 9:46 pm
- fast compile, no bouncy polys
- poly types
- automatic directory detection (thanks to Elephant_Hunter for the tip)
- colour picker: get colours from screen
- scenery and functions for scenery manipulation
- set map options
- spawn points and colliders
- scaling and rotation of polys and scenery
- flip/rotate functions
- gostek object

Awesome. When U done it. I'm using only your mappacker. Maybe Mapmaker+ sometimes.

Deleted User
August 13, 2005, 6:35 am
Just got done with 2 sweet looking maps 8)

I could not have done it without this application...

Thanks Anna :)

IlIdan
August 14, 2005, 2:58 pm
me to hard... I dont cheack How he work!

Plz quest a boy for languagefiles... to hard...

Keron Cyst
August 14, 2005, 5:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by Dairy... When U done it. I'm using only your mappacker. Maybe Mapmaker+ sometimes.

numgun
August 14, 2005, 6:53 pm
umm... IRC??? no idea what is it but can you put the link to the new version of polyworks on to the first page of this topic?
btw: where is Soldat IRC? and what is it? (yes, im stupid)

DeMonIc
August 14, 2005, 7:05 pm
I'm sure it will hurt a lot of you, but if you can't figure it out how to get to the Soldat IRC channel by yourself, you're not worth explaining.

Denacke
August 14, 2005, 8:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by numgunumm... IRC??? no idea what is it but can you put the link to the new version of polyworks on to the first page of this topic?
btw: where is Soldat IRC? and what is it? (yes, im stupid)

Try downloading mIRC, This is an IRC client. [URL]

When installed, the easyest should be to follow this link: [URL]

When this fails however, you should select "Quakenet" as the server. When connected to this server, do this command: /join #soldat.forums

If you still have troubles performing these steps, try searching some on-line information about IRC and mIRC.

numgun
August 15, 2005, 3:22 pm
Demonic ----> ´´thank you´´

Denacke ----> thank you

Deleted User
August 16, 2005, 3:32 am
well, as a experianed game developer, I see Polyworks as the "cream of the crop" application..

I have helped to develope games useing Unreal ED, and Radiant (quake3 based stuff), Lithtech , and a bunch of other editors to help my dreams come to the player....

PolyWorks has a great set of enhanced tools...

i cant see doing any other maps without polyworks.... it is that important!!

Thnaks for all you insite, nad design Anna :)

Bob_Just_Bob
August 21, 2005, 7:24 am
Download link is broken :c

N1nj@
August 21, 2005, 3:24 pm
join us in #soldat.polyworks at irc.quakenet.org to get the newer version download link

sande24
August 21, 2005, 3:43 pm
Same here... PW ROCKS ALL!!! Teh_bestest of th3m 4ll!!!!1111111111oneoneone!

Inquisitor
August 22, 2005, 9:43 am
when is it going to come ?
will we have to wait a year, 5 months, or just some weeks?

Deleted User
August 22, 2005, 9:44 am
I think a sticky is in order :o

Anna
August 22, 2005, 4:55 pm
The last big feature I have left to implement is undo. Then there are a few small things I have to add/fix and I'll be updating this thread :) I don't want to give a date because I really don't know how long it's going to take me. It will be out as soon as possible :>

_Mancer_
August 22, 2005, 7:11 pm
Anna Updates in the IRC channel.. so go there not here :F

GluLm
August 23, 2005, 8:03 pm
And when it's out, let's do an interview of Anna! ;)
just kidding
EnEsCe is right, sticky time!

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 8:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by AnnaThen there are a few small things I have to add/fix and I'll be updating this thread :)

Hoo-rey, thread updatage for the next update. I'm quite glad about this since I'd prefer not to install mIRC for the sole purpose of downloading Polyworks, as awesome a program as it is.

This, combined with the SVG-PMS converter, is gonna make for some fun times for me, heh. Many thanks, Anna.

Deleted User
August 23, 2005, 8:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by EnEsCeI think a sticky is in order :o

Well considering I'm a nub moderator who stickies all his favouritest apps, and Polyworks is my favouritest soldat app ever, this is guaranteed stickage when Anna updates the thread with the full version. :)

Inquisitor
August 26, 2005, 3:00 pm
which will hopefully be soon...

Deleted User
August 27, 2005, 10:20 pm
This is propably a noobish question. Well here goes:
"How do I make sceneries? I can't see the sceneries button."
Also I can't even see the sceneries on the maps with using PolyWorks.

Deleted User
August 27, 2005, 11:34 pm
Sure you have the latest version? The one linked to in this thread doesn't have many capabilities at all besides creating and coloring polygons.

Deleted User
August 28, 2005, 8:32 am
Where is the latest? I downloaded that one that was on the first page. Please don't flame me, I just downloaded it yesterday. ^.^

Inquisitor
August 28, 2005, 9:42 am
have to go into the irc-channel.

Inquisitor
August 28, 2005, 9:49 am
sorry, but the irc-link doesnt work. please someone. post the link to newest version here.

UGK
August 28, 2005, 10:03 am
wtf is soldat polyworks for *yawns in discare*

Vijchtidoodah
August 28, 2005, 10:15 am
UGK, go away. If you don't care, don't post. And if you don't post long enough, maybe you'll just stay away from the forums for good.

Deleted User
August 28, 2005, 10:19 am
That's the newest? Not the one that is on the first page?

EDIT: nvm, I got it.

Michal
August 28, 2005, 5:34 pm
Sorry, I had to unhost the main download since it's an old version, but for some reason anna only wants to hand out newer versions on IRC and not on the forums. Sorry guys, talk to her about it.

¤JOJO¤
August 30, 2005, 6:40 pm
Hi michal, may you send me the *zip file cause i haven't IRC and i don't know how to use it, so please send me or fixed the link. Thx alot !

misterjojok@aol.com

Anna
September 2, 2005, 3:23 am
I've decided to stop adding features for now, and I'm concentrating on fixing things up in preparation for release. Hopefully I'll be able to update the thread within the next week. Just have some patience :P

Maluno
September 3, 2005, 7:05 pm
We will all be excitedly awaiting your updates in the meantime!

Anna
September 6, 2005, 6:26 pm
I've finally updated :D Check the first post for a list of updates, some pictars, the FAQ, and of course the download link.

Aquarius
September 6, 2005, 6:27 pm
quote:I've finally updated :D Check the first post for a list of updates, some pictars, the FAQ, and of course the download link.

Yay! :)
THE SCREENSHOTS LOOK INCREDIBLE! ^^

Elephant_Hunter
September 6, 2005, 7:30 pm
Very nice. I will provide you with a mirror soon.

And yes, those screenshots are extraordinary.

Deleted User
September 6, 2005, 7:38 pm
Stickied, yo.

(omgz love to the second and third 'random crap' screenshots :| they're fricking amazing)

cooz
September 7, 2005, 6:49 pm
um, good version, pretty bugless, stable, etc...

ps,
why the hell you all dont see effort of Anna, She's working hard to make this program as near to perfect as possible,
but without any absorption/feedback She may think that nobody cares, and can stop working on it...

sande24
September 7, 2005, 7:21 pm
Good job Anna... Now the good map makers (like rambo etc.) can make great maps and me - a bad map maker can make those maps the good map makers made with original soldat map maker.
:P I dont think you can understand the previous sentence...

Michal
September 7, 2005, 9:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by cooz
ps,
why the hell you all dont see effort of Anna, She's working hard to make this program as near to perfect as possible,
but without any absorption/feedback She may think that nobody cares, and can stop working on it...

I think no one posts because it is a natural reflex of certain forum members to ignore stickies ;p

Anna
September 8, 2005, 12:37 am
Glad you guys like the screen shots, I'll make them into actual maps eventually :P

GluLm
September 8, 2005, 12:40 pm
I just love the new version, got to play around with it last night.
Compared to MM+, I simply miss the smooth colouring tool (the "paintcolor") which is a bit different in PW and perhaps not as easy to use.
Otherwise PW is really efficient and handy. It gives new feelings for mapping.
Once waypoints and the other features get implemented, it'll definitely be the best map editor.

P.S: The screenshot are scary... they look so awesome I don't think anyone designed textured polygons that well until now. Wonderful.

DeMonIc
September 8, 2005, 2:20 pm
Could you please post wireframe pictures of "those crap" you made? Strictly for learnig purpouses :3

I find PW to be the bestest map maker, it eats and chews MM+ at the moment.

Anna
September 8, 2005, 5:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by GluLmCompared to MM+, I simply miss the smooth colouring tool (the "paintcolor") which is a bit different in PW and perhaps not as easy to use.

You can get a similar effect in PolyWorks by setting the vertex colour mode to "dynamic" and the opacity to about 10. It's not as smooth as in MM+ though :P

edit: for DeMonIc:
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

The method I use to multitexture is to make some boxes with the right texture coordinates, and duplicate them. Then I move the vertices into the shape I want. I also use split a lot, it's very helpful.

The stone wall one doesn't actually need a transition, so when I make it into a map I'll just use the two textures in a 128x256 bitmap.
Also I know the poly count for the snowy map is a little too high, but I'm still learning xP

Deleted User
September 8, 2005, 6:59 pm
Wowww, random crap looks pretty these days.

Scuba Steve
September 8, 2005, 7:51 pm
Very nice map maker anna it ownssss

rabidhamster
September 9, 2005, 1:15 am
damn, anna you should make some maps from all your random crap you made. just for fun...

lemme guess. you already do that, you just never release them... go figure.

great job though, keep it up.

SPARTAN_III
September 9, 2005, 1:14 pm
when i try to get to the irc channel whatever, firefox throws up a dialog about an unsupported protocol....and i deleted bull(Please refrain from swearing)ty IE so dont tell me to use that.

Aquarius
September 9, 2005, 2:09 pm
quote:when i try to get to the irc channel whatever, firefox throws up a dialog about an unsupported protocol....and i deleted bull(Please refrain from swearing)ty IE so dont tell me to use that.
Maybe try the Opera browser, it has a built-in simple IRC client.

PS. You can kiss my... cheek, Stalky.

Pixofied
September 9, 2005, 2:13 pm
Or, download ChatZilla. Plug-in for Firefox. Install now

--
Love Polyworks. Not much else to say, sept keep it up... :)

tntnik
September 9, 2005, 11:19 pm
First of all, i know this might be very very hard to make... but its something i find myself always wanting in a mapmaker: a scenery cutter. A tool that can cut a scenery in two or delete a part of it.
I think it could be made by making a line from a margin to a margin of a scenery and make one of the sides 0% opale. Not sure if that would work since im not experienced with making these kinds of programs.
Also a "snap to scenery" would be quite useful too. Right now im working on a map that has shadows, and it is a challange making shadows with "blank" sceneries since they do not "snap" together they leave either a dark or bright line in between them, which is very ugly.

So, is it possible?

Nephilim
September 10, 2005, 4:56 pm
[IMAGE]

You are crazy!

chakapoko maker
September 11, 2005, 1:54 am
Congratulations! Thank you Anna and Michal, and the support team ;D
Polyworks has lots of new ways to make a map and I'll try to use it efficiently like the snowy land!

Inquisitor
September 13, 2005, 8:17 pm
what is the quad function???

Typos fixed. Spell check your post before you reply please - Stalky

Anna
September 14, 2005, 1:46 am
@tntnik: Cutting up scenery isn't possible, and snapping to scenery might be in a future version of PolyWorks. Scenery does snap to grid though, and you can manipulate scenery more precisely with the arrow keys.

@Inquisitor: it will let you click four times to draw two polys with texture coordinates that you can specify (should make multi textured maps a little easier to do.)

Thanks for all the comments :)

GAMEOVER
September 14, 2005, 11:41 am
Any ET on its finished release?

Zenter
September 17, 2005, 3:29 pm
Umm.. i cant use it..

Michal
September 17, 2005, 3:32 pm
quote:Umm.. i cant use it..
What's the problem?

Deleted User
September 17, 2005, 3:33 pm
quote:Originally posted by ZenterUmm.. i cant use it..

Thanks, with all the info you provided we can definately solve your problem. Power button on your computer, yes the shiny one, press it.

Zenter
September 17, 2005, 3:41 pm
It comes System Error.. :| " System Error &H8007007E(-2147024770) The Specified Module Could not be found. "

Deleted User
September 17, 2005, 3:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by ZenterIt comes System Error.. :| " System Error &H8007007E(-2147024770) The Specified Module Could not be found. "

Read the first post you FOOL

quote:
09. I get this error when I try to run PolyWorks: System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found.

Make sure these files exist in your Windows\System32 folder: MBMouse.ocx, COMDLG32.OCX, mscomctl.ocx, msvbvm60.dll, dx8vb.dll, scrrun.dll. The first three are included in the PolyWorks zip, the others can be found with google. If putting them in the Windows\System32 folder doesn't work try resistering the missing files: start -> run, type in regsvr32 name_of_file.dll_or_ocx.

Zenter
September 17, 2005, 3:44 pm
>.> I dont have some MBMouse.ocx things o.O I dont know a thing what you are talking about *-*

Deleted User
September 17, 2005, 3:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by Zenter>.> I dont have some MBMouse.ocx things o.O I dont know a thing what you are talking about *-*

quote:Originally posted by EnEsCePower button on your computer, yes the shiny one, press it

Zenter
September 17, 2005, 3:50 pm
o.O omfg >.< the first time i did download it and all the things, it works! But after then when i was trying to find it.. it wasnt on my computer any more, i did download it from the same Link! i did do all the same, but then the system error did come, i been trying to download it 4 times, i dont download it anymore!..

Zenter
September 17, 2005, 3:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by EnEsCeI gots me an error!

quote:System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found.

Appears when running the Main executable.

m'm.. you got the same error, so just be quied!
If you did make it, i dont care!

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 10:51 pm
(Please refrain from swearing) christ, stop the spam! I wish this forum had a function to delete multiple posts at once X_x I had to delete all those posts one by one.

EnEsCe: Be nice to people and help them instead of flaming them.

Zenter: In the future, explain your problems properly, we aren't mind readers. Also, don't double post and edit your previous posts in future with the edit button [IMAGE].

Belier13: You have no right to use Annas photo like that. Pictures like that are private material and she probably didn't want it posted on these forums, edited or not. Don't do that again.

sit-anger: Don't encourage Belier13.

Swebonny: If you can't post something meaningful, don't post at all. We don't want to read a load of incomprehensible rubbish in this topic, take it to the Bash Pit in the future.

Anna: I love you ;D

Any further spam will be deleted without warning or recognition. Please post constructive material related to PolyWorks only.

Rambo_6
September 18, 2005, 11:30 pm
Amen. -_-

On another note, i have begun working on a map. With 5 textures :D

Thank god there's Polyworks.

Zenter
September 24, 2005, 7:58 am
Well, i did it.. But i just have 2 texture in it Z.z
And before i did unistall Soldat and install it again, i did have more!!..
Were do i get more textures?..

cooz
September 24, 2005, 9:26 am
Zenter ffs, its your wish list of stupidest questions, if you dont have anything interesting to say about PolyWorks please dont use your fingers here, you harmed this topic alot already

im absolutely sure that with PW you cant d/l more textres, so use Search button or get the (Please refrain from swearing) out of here,
thats all i want to say.

josheat
September 25, 2005, 8:59 am
o_0 this thing makes making mpas fun again :D

cant wait for the skin/theme option for this program, expect something from me

EDIT: well, it seems that you can already do it :D ill get to work on one now...

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 12:01 am
Can't wait for the next update! :)
One suggestion: When you select a poly (Or polys, however you spell it ;) ) and use the "colour verticies" tool it only colours the selected poly. This rocks, but is there some way of doing a similar thing with vertice selection? Like if you have a load of polys in a "fan" and some of the polys are slightly out of sync with the rest. The vertices are too close together to be selected individually so you have to move the whole poly. Then you have to move the other vertices and stuff like that; very annoying.
Sorry if this post was a bit off when it comes to grammar ;)

T-Money
September 29, 2005, 12:26 am
Zomg...teh new version! I just found it. D/ling now...

i am ahab
September 29, 2005, 4:42 pm
um. am i being mad. or can i press for an integrated waypoint editor?

hey man when the girls on a roll let her roll....

Guil
September 29, 2005, 11:37 pm
YO! I need help. I'll try my best to explain this with my poor english.

Last year, I created a map named ctf_hauntedhill and stop to work on it 'cause of the scenary limit. Now, I tried to load it with Polyworks but I can't, I got those errors :

-Automation error
-Run-time error '-2005530516 (887608c)' : Automation error

Here's the link to my unfinished map if it can help you. Just right-click on the link and save-as.

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/guil/Soldat/hauntedhill.zip

Thx for help!

N1nj@
September 29, 2005, 11:49 pm
Guil: Read the FAQ on the first page.

quote:10. I get a runtime error when I start PolyWorks.

Try changing the Dir entry in the Preferences section in polyworks.ini to your Soldat directory.

Guil
September 29, 2005, 11:54 pm
Polyworks run just fine. I can load every maps except this one. :|

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 12:29 am
omfg!!!! i tried everything but i get a runtime error '76' and it works perfectly on my dads comp but he never lets me go on it (cause i have my own) so can sum put all the files in a zip file or tell me the system requirements to c if i dont have somtehing donloaded. please help me!!!!!!! (these are the errors i get if it helps)
[IMAGE]

Anna
October 1, 2005, 3:05 am
@people with errors: everything I know about PolyWorks related errors is in the faq. #9 also applies to missing dll problems.

@Guil: some maps made with the original map maker have data that PolyWorks can't handle yet; I'll be fixing that in the next version.

I don't know when the next version will be out, I haven't been doing much coding lately (just started adding a few small things).

Guil
October 1, 2005, 3:41 am
Thx for the answer, I'll wait for the next update to finish my map. I like it. :P

I have a suggestion too. Do you think it's possible to make a Layer (with option on/off) with the real size of the soldier in-game? I think it could be very useful to have this soldier layer to create a map without loading soldat everytime you want to see if the map is too big or too small. An easy way to do this would be to make a soldier scenary, but, integrate to Polyworks could be better? Do you know what I mean?

cooz
October 1, 2005, 9:44 am
Guil, there's already gostek object in PW, and i wont you say where is it, learn to read :P

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 10:07 am
I assume your busy tackling waypoints at the moment ;P
Can't wait for the update...

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 4:32 pm
about my problem, u can c in the second picture that it says something about the msvbm60.dll, is that file suppose to be in the polyworks file??? if so, can u put a link to it in the next post.
ALSO there is a problem for my zoom... whenever i zoom more than 70% lines appear across the screen and i cant see what i'm doing please tell me whats wrong!!!

Jack Bauer
October 3, 2005, 4:15 pm
omg, I gotta learn to use PolyWorks!

headstone
October 4, 2005, 1:24 am
When I try and open polyworks.exe, I get

"Error loading
invalid property value"

and then when I click 'OK' I get

"Run-time error '76':
Path not found: 'C:\Soldat\Polyworks\gfx\titlebar_properties.bmp'.

When I unzipped the files, I made a new folder called Polyworks in my Soldat directory. I've made sure that the polyworks.ini file is set to the soldat directory (I've also tried setting it to the Polyworks folder), and I have all 6 of the .dll files in my system23 folder.

What have I done wrong?? Should the polyworks files go loose in the Soldat directory? Should each type of file go somewhere special?

¤JOJO¤
October 4, 2005, 11:02 am
im realy not lucky ! I ve some difficuties to understand some expressions... So it's hard to use it...

N1nj@
October 4, 2005, 9:11 pm
What expressions do you not understand?

headstone
October 4, 2005, 10:04 pm
Anyone wanna help? Or at least tell me what they did with the 342342 files that come with the exe?

headstone
October 6, 2005, 1:20 am
...I guess I'll just use the stupid original map maker...

Inquisitor
October 6, 2005, 9:11 pm
simply use winzips extract to funczion. no problems.

Michal
October 6, 2005, 10:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by headstoneWhen I try and open polyworks.exe, I get

"Error loading
invalid property value"

and then when I click 'OK' I get

"Run-time error '76':
Path not found: 'C:\Soldat\Polyworks\gfx\titlebar_properties.bmp'.

When I unzipped the files, I made a new folder called Polyworks in my Soldat directory. I've made sure that the polyworks.ini file is set to the soldat directory (I've also tried setting it to the Polyworks folder), and I have all 6 of the .dll files in my system23 folder.

What have I done wrong?? Should the polyworks files go loose in the Soldat directory? Should each type of file go somewhere special?

It sounds like not all the proper directories were made when you extracted the files.
This happens when you don't let winzip extract the regular way, happens to me :P
Make a fresh unzip in another folder, make sure all the right folders are made.

By the way, Anna won't be able to help out or update for a while since she has no internet connection.

headstone
October 7, 2005, 11:40 pm
quote:This happens when you don't let winzip extract the regular way, happens to me :P

What's the regular way? Hitting 'extract' and then choosing a folder? Cause that's what I do and it doesn't work.

.Loki
October 13, 2005, 7:22 pm
is there any way to move the screen around aside from zooming in/out repeatedly?

N1nj@
October 13, 2005, 9:56 pm
space + left mouse click

then drag around

dpkonofa
October 14, 2005, 7:44 pm
click your middle mouse button/wheel and drag around...

dr dragon
October 14, 2005, 9:01 pm
Ok I know this f*****g roks but it doesnt want to work. I get an error saying

"Run time error "5"
Invald procedure call or argument"

How do I fix it? I really want to start mapping!!!

headstone
October 16, 2005, 9:37 pm
[q]Make a fresh unzip in another folder, make sure all the right folders are made.[/q]

What folders?

please help

akaricloud
October 17, 2005, 10:01 am
Download link is broken or crap.

Soulsnipa
October 19, 2005, 3:21 am
Hmmm I got ideas, might want to test :)

Deleted User
October 26, 2005, 2:01 am
Whats the commands to move left, move right, up, down(< > ^ down) in POLYWORKS?

[IMAGE]

Michal
October 26, 2005, 8:41 pm
To pan the view: press and hold the middle mouse button, move the mouse.

If you don't have a middle mouse button: hold spacebar and click and drag with the left mouse button.

The arrow keys will move anything that you have selected 1 pixel.

Deleted User
October 26, 2005, 8:46 pm
this is good map maker but this maker is not good

afly
October 26, 2005, 11:25 pm
cant wait for,

Upcoming Features

- bot waypoints
- better skin support
- import
- "quad" function
- overview generator
- render edges ...

lol

Deleted User
October 27, 2005, 4:50 pm
quote:
If you don't have a middle mouse button: hold spacebar and click and drag with the left mouse button.

ooo!!! thanks michal!!!

Edit:
OMG!! HELP!!! http://rapidshare.de/files/6834379/poliworks_error.zip.html

Michal
October 28, 2005, 11:23 pm
I believe it's a problem that will have to be corrected by Anna, I don't think there's anything you can do to fix it with the current version.

vash763
October 29, 2005, 5:25 am
I get a

quote:Run-time error '5':

Invalid procedure call or argument

that pops up right when I open the program. Then if I move the mouse within the app I get another window telling me politely that polyworks has to close.

Any ideas?

TeRRoRinFANt
October 29, 2005, 11:03 am
I've given .pms file associations to polyworks and now when I open a map from windows explorer it shows a completely empty area! It nearly got me a heartstroke when I thought my 18 hours of work just went *poufff*. Also, when you create a poly and do one or two points, without the third, and then change you mind and want to delete it, you have to press del AFTER finishing the bad poly or it will crash...
Any other than that- a perfect tool! Ownage.

cooz
October 29, 2005, 12:41 pm
just press ESC and poly wont be created :P

spika
October 29, 2005, 7:40 pm
Yeah!!
coooooool

vash763
October 30, 2005, 12:42 am
So any help?

rainrider
October 30, 2005, 11:12 pm
Will sources be released?

+idea: colorize polys on/off [for better texture effects on dark polys too]

cooz
October 31, 2005, 1:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by rainriderWill sources be released?

+idea: colorize polys on/off [for better texture effects on dark polys too]

#1 pfff, source code xP

#2 you can turn off it by setting selecting color to black.

Michal
October 31, 2005, 10:18 pm
quote:I get a

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run-time error '5':

Invalid procedure call or argument
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that pops up right when I open the program. Then if I move the mouse within the app I get another window telling me politely that polyworks has to close.

Any ideas?

From the FAQ in the first post:
quote:10. I get a runtime error when I start PolyWorks.

Try it please.

bojero
November 1, 2005, 7:57 am
Hi, I downloaded the prog but can't use it... Look:
[IMAGE]
Pls help me..

bojero
November 1, 2005, 5:31 pm
a whole day has passed... pls somebody help me.....

Soulsnipa
November 1, 2005, 7:00 pm
Can you turn wireframe off....its really annoying.

rabidhamster
November 1, 2005, 8:44 pm
GAH!

everyone, please read the manual
and all of the first couple posts in this thread.

thank you.

N1nj@
November 1, 2005, 9:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by bojeroa whole day has passed... pls somebody help me.....
Try changing the Dir entry in the Preferences section in polyworks.ini to your Soldat directory.quote:Originally posted by SoulsnipaCan you turn wireframe off....its really annoying.
You can turn it off at the Display Window, if you don't have the display window, then go to Window on the top and make sure there is a check at the display

bojero
November 1, 2005, 10:29 pm
Change to what? Be specific? The dir where my soldat.exe is? or where my polly works is?

rainrider
November 1, 2005, 10:45 pm
Idea for new tool...
Copy & paste selected data [polys, sceneries..] using windows clipboard. REALLY useful for maps with few modes, for example bleble_red bleble_green. Yeah, of course you can just make everything in one map and then change some things by copying files, but if you want to add in all maps new const elements you have to do all handly. With this tool you could just copy all new things to clipboard, open second map and paste there all.

Like in MM+.

Yeah, my english really rocks.

Deleted User
November 2, 2005, 12:03 am
quote:Originally posted by hunterzquote:

ooo!!! thanks michal!!!

Edit:
OMG!! HELP!!! http://rapidshare.de/files/6834379/poliworks_error.zip.html

...help me?

Michal
November 2, 2005, 12:53 am
quote:Originally posted by bojeroChange to what? Be specific? The dir where my soldat.exe is? or where my polly works is?

PolyWorks needs the location of your general Soldat folder to locate maps, textures, and scenery files.

vash763
November 2, 2005, 2:41 am
hey thanks michal, I must have missed that when I read it :X my bad

bojero
November 2, 2005, 5:42 am
quote:
PolyWorks needs the location of your general Soldat folder to locate maps, textures, and scenery files.

So ok, I changed my dir=C:/Soldat
but i still get the same error... and I'm sure that my soldat is in that folder... ok look now..
[IMAGE]

peemonkey
November 2, 2005, 6:18 am
your slash is backwards.

bojero
November 2, 2005, 6:36 am
Ok... changed the slash.. and I still get the same error :(

bojero
November 2, 2005, 6:38 am
Any other suggestions??

N1nj@
November 2, 2005, 12:51 pm
bojero: put this add another slash (\) at the end of the line. so it becomes 'Dir=C:\Soldat\'

bojero
November 2, 2005, 1:46 pm
Nope Ninja I changed it, but still no change.....

bojero
November 2, 2005, 1:47 pm
Ok wait just a sec... do I put the Folder "Soldat PolyWorks" in the C:\Soldat\ dir itself? I'll try it quick...

bojero
November 2, 2005, 1:48 pm
ok no diff!!!!!!

cooz
November 2, 2005, 9:56 pm
shoot yourself in the head and stop spaming in this topic FFS.

nfsjunkie91
November 3, 2005, 3:42 am
jeez make sure you installed soldat to your c: drive. if u have enough knowledge to change your windows setup, you should be able to sort this mess out yourself.

bojero
November 3, 2005, 4:56 am
I am sure soldat is in my C: drive... and im not trying to spam... I seriously want to use this program.. i have made maps with the defualt map maker.. but now i want to try polyworks.. and it looks very good.. so pls try and put up with me.. I really want to use this proggie.. and just to tell you.. I've tried all the obvious things that could have gone wrong and tried to fix them.. but I still get the same error...

rainrider
November 3, 2005, 6:48 am
dir structure:
C:\soldat\soldat.exe
C:\soldat\scenery-gfx
C:\soldat\bots
C:\soldat\maps

C:\soldat\soldat polyworks\soldat polyworks.exe

and directory in polyworx = c:\soldat

Haart
November 3, 2005, 10:53 am
Actually, I'm having exactly the same problem - I just tried to install PolyWorks, but I keep getting Runitme Error '76'.
Yes, I changed my .ini file to have "Dir=C:\Program Files\Soldat" (where my Soldat.exe, and Polyworks folder is).

N1nj@
November 3, 2005, 1:12 pm
The polyworks folder doesn't have to be inside the Solder folder...just letting y'all know

bojero
November 3, 2005, 3:25 pm
well whatever... i typed in C:\soldat as my dir on polyworks.ini and I am 100% sure that is where my soldat.exe is... K???
So what can the problem be?

Taz
November 6, 2005, 4:23 am
amazing. i must have been sleeping on this program.

i just made a map in soldat map maker a few hours ago screwing around to make a volcano HTF map, then i see this program with superior capabilities. this definetally looks cool.

bojero
November 6, 2005, 9:51 am
Can Anyone Help mE???? I WANT SOLDAT POLYWORKS TO WORK!!!

headstone
November 6, 2005, 5:47 pm
bojero, are files that came with poly divided into different folders, like gfx_toolbars and such, or are they all in one folder? I think you might have the same problem I had.

Anyway, I have an idea for the texture stretch tool: draw and pry. If you hold like option or something while in texture stretch, and clicked and held a vertice, the texures of the polys connected to it would be 'drawn' toward that vertice. Pry would do the opposite.

livingdalife
November 7, 2005, 4:04 am
I'd like to point out that the Thin don't work!!!
check out this http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=27902 IT DON'T WORK

bojero
November 7, 2005, 4:52 am
All my soldat Polyworks stuff are in one folder..
So Headstone are they meant to be in diff folders??

peemonkey
November 7, 2005, 4:57 am
i say give up. if you havent figured it out by now, you should give up.
install the latest version of polyworks into the soldat main folder. tell it all the [CENSORED] is there. simple as that. get with it maing!

Deleted User
November 7, 2005, 9:30 pm
ok i decided to put a laist of all the files and stuff so you can tell me if i'm missing anything...

Soldat Polyworks (main file in soldat directory)
-bgothl (TrueType Font File)
-COMDLG32.OCX
-dx8vb.dll
-lucon (TrueType Font File)
-MBMouse.ocx
-mscomctl.ocx
-MSVBM60.ocx
-polyworks.ini (dir=c:\soldat\) (where my soldat file is)
-PolyWorks Help (HTML Document)
-PW (Icon 3.18kb)
-pwsmall (Icon 894 bytes)
-readme (Text Documnet)
-scrrun.dll
-Soldat PolyWorks (Application)

BMP to CUR
-Bmp to Cur (application)
-read me (text)

GFX
-button_gfx
-colour_picker
-lines
-notfound
-objects
-pattern
-rcenter
-slider_arrow
-titlebar_colourpicker
-titlebar_display
-titlebar_main
-titlebar_map
-titlebar_palette
-titlebar_prefrences
-titlebar_properties
-titlebar_scenery
-titlebar_tools
-tool_gfx
-tools
-vertex8x8

Cursors (in gfx)
-clr picker
-colour_picker
-create
-hand
-move
-objects
-pcolour
-pseladd
-pselsct
-pselsub
-rotate
-scale
-scenery
-something
-texture
-vcolour
-vseladd
-vselect
-vselsub
-waypoint

Help
-tool_clrpicker
-tool_create
-tool_move
-tool_objects
-tool_pcolour
-tool_pselsct
-tool_scenery
-tool_texture
-tool_vcolour
-tool_vselect

Paletts
-AZpalette
-current
-MZpalette
-palette

Workspace
-current (.ini file)

There You Have It *phew* (and i still get the runtime error '76' if i use it on my desktop)

Keron Cyst
November 8, 2005, 3:21 am
I haven't kept very much with this thread so I don't know of Anna's and Michal's intentions on how the waypoint system will pwn the original map editor's, but here are some thoughts on Soldat PolyWorks' future wypt. functions:

? "Remember" checkbox in that if you establish a wypt. and select "move right" or something like that the next wypts. you put after that remember that and retain that function, so you don't have to give the wypt. the same command again. The checkbox is so you can uncheck it if you want to make wypts. that do other functions.
? "Automatic String" checkbox in that any wypts. you make are automatically joined together in the path you make them. Uncheck to start on a new string or split a string.
? Sever string: this is what I really hate about the official map editor, and MM+; you have to delete at least one wypt. to sever a string, and then you have to remake it again and join it with any other strings it was connected to. I hope strings can be severed without having to delete any wypts.
? Reminder when user comes close to the 500-wypt. limit; MM & MM+ never specified when the 500-wypt. limit would be reached; they never bothered to recount the # of wypts. in a map, and so you could have almost 500 and the # displayed could even go into the negatives (I don't know why the # changed occasionally). PolyWorks should recount every time it loads a map, and display a flashy red reminder saying that the user is nearing the 500-wypt. limit (unless the limit can be broken altogether, which would be very interesting indeed).

... >:-)

? something experimental - possibly make a ghost of a soldat performing different functions so that you know the best spots where to place wypts. Say a string of waypoints has a soldat run and jump over a ledge, then keep running on the other side. If you were able to put a small ghost image of how far the soldat can jump it would really help wypters (who I predict would grow greater in #) tell where to place wypts. the most effectively and I'd never use MM+ again for wypts. ;-D

bojero
November 8, 2005, 2:36 pm
I dunt wanna give up... I want this proggie to work..

ZeroTruths
November 10, 2005, 2:00 am
-_-"
I've tries and I've tried...
Polyworks will launch normally, and I can make maps.
However, if I try to open a previously made map (ie. Bridge) I get an error simmilar to this:
Run-time error `-2005530516 (8876086c)`

Polyworks then closes.
Any ideas out there?
I have all of the dlls (6 of them?) and have changeed the directory acordingly...

Edit: Found Error.

For some reason, if Objects is checked, the error will appear.
Does anyone know why?

afly
November 11, 2005, 11:25 pm
Question,
I made a map called Complexity, then I saved it and complied it. Then I striped it down and Made Skysoldats, Saved that one and complied it. then I Striped that one down and Made Warplanets Saved it and Complied it. Now When I load any of the two later maps, It says "complexity" in the top and also when I am viewing it in polyworks(the later maps) they have the same "scenerys" checked and loaded as complexity, Yet they are NOT on the map?! WTH? My later maps crash sometimes having a problem loading the Jugletree Scenery, and its NOT on the later maps.

Any idea on how to fix this? besides reduing the maps from scratch?!.

It seems without me hitting the "new" function it kept all the properties of the very first map. I did it this way becouse I wanted to keep certain designs I had made on the first map and use them on the others. I wish there was a CNP funcion for polys.

Edit: NVM I found a way to fix both of these problems.

nfsjunkie91
November 12, 2005, 7:27 pm
u know one thing i have realized. about 99% of everyone who had porblem had regged just to post that problem, and probably were too stupid to look bakc to the main page, or actually read thru the topic. pay attention to the first line of my sig ppl. and btw anna, when is the next one going to come out, cuz sometimes when i try waypointing in regualar MapMaker, it really is buggeh, and will the next version feature waypointing? just asking for an ETA on the next version

bojero
November 15, 2005, 3:45 am
nfsjunkie91.. my account on the forums has been here for ages.. before i read this topic.. it's just i never actually posted..
so u think my prob is solved somewhere in the topic? and ps: the first line of ur sig says:
Originally posted by Mister Angry:

gohen84
November 16, 2005, 7:53 pm
Is there anyway to have a ctf match?
I cant figure out how to get flags in the maps...

N1nj@
November 16, 2005, 9:14 pm
Choose the objects tool and then right click and choose alpha or bravo flag spawn point

Maluno
November 19, 2005, 1:29 am
Does Polyworks work with windows 98? Any conflicts I should know about? Because I keep getting a
"Direct3d initialization failed D3DERR_INVALIDCALL"
error when I start Polyworks, followed by
"Run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument"
when I hit the ok button on the first error. Then when I hit ok on the second error, I get a third,
"Error creating current scenery texture Automation Error".

After that the program just closes. And yes, I have changed the DIR line to my soldat directory. What OS do the rest of you that are having problems use?

headstone
November 20, 2005, 12:01 am
It works on 98... that's what I had when I started with it.

Maluno
November 21, 2005, 9:21 pm
Well... There goes that idea... :(

N1nj@
November 21, 2005, 9:39 pm
try joining #soldat.polyworks at quakenet and get a newer version of polyworks. Maybe that will fix all the problems.

Soulsnipa
November 21, 2005, 9:55 pm
a newer version? post it please.

Maluno
November 22, 2005, 8:13 pm
I got the latest version, but the problems I was having the first time remain unchanged. Any other suggestions? I'd really like to use this program.

N1nj@
November 22, 2005, 9:05 pm
Just get off your lazy ass and go to the channel and download it.

Soulsnipa
November 23, 2005, 12:58 am
ummm no? i wouldnt get off my lazy ass anyway

N1nj@
November 23, 2005, 2:11 am
then you can go [CENSORED] yourself, cause i aint going to be your mother and do everything for you

Inquisitor
November 23, 2005, 4:56 pm
there is no more improvement, is there?

Anna
November 23, 2005, 5:32 pm
Hi everyone, sorry about not posting here in such a long time.

@people with errors: again, everything I know about PolyWorks errors is in the faq; other than that you can try re-extracting PolyWorks or reinstalling DirectX. I'm still working on improving error trapping and fixing bugs that might cause them so if it doesn't work for you now, wait for the next version.

@everyone with suggestions: thanks, I've taken your ideas into account for the next version of PolyWorks.

Currently I'm working on implementing waypoints, it's going to be a little more complicated than I expected :x

rabidhamster
November 24, 2005, 2:24 am
^go figure. waypoints are evil.

Deleted User
November 24, 2005, 2:34 am
and are what i live on :P
come to the darkside or the map- vader

lpzie
November 27, 2005, 2:34 pm
marry me

DeMo
December 2, 2005, 5:38 am
Great work Anna!

But I keep getting the "Runtime Error '76': Path not found" error message.
I double checked everything, all files exist.. OCXs are registered, Soldat path is correct.

Very strange, because I develop programs in VB6 too and I have all the runtimes and stuff.

EDIT: Never mind.. I rebooted and it worked fine.

Keron Cyst
December 2, 2005, 8:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by rabidhamster^go figure. waypoints are evil.

Hahaha. I won't be surprised if you can't install waypoint support into PW :-P

Algernon
December 4, 2005, 7:22 am
i'm having problems with polyeworks. i open a map, edit in some new scenery and when i save and go to play the map i fall through the map as if the polly's aren't solid. i've set them all to "collide" or even "normal" and the problem persists. any idea what's up?

Deleted User
December 4, 2005, 8:30 am
It's just that you didn't compile the map.

Algernon
December 4, 2005, 8:55 am
oh, thanks. prett cool program. one more question. how do i delete objects and such? i have yet to find a "delete".

Michal
December 4, 2005, 3:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by Algernonoh, thanks. prett cool program. one more question. how do i delete objects and such? i have yet to find a "delete".

The delete button on your keyboard will get rid of almost anything selected.

Anna
December 4, 2005, 4:49 pm
[IMAGE]

Enter
December 4, 2005, 5:05 pm
WOW AWSOME:)

mar77a
December 4, 2005, 5:13 pm
So waypoints are already included into polyworks?

Algernon
December 4, 2005, 6:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michalquote:Originally posted by Algernonoh, thanks. prett cool program. one more question. how do i delete objects and such? i have yet to find a "delete".

The delete button on your keyboard will get rid of almost anything selected.

yes, but not the objects. i have a stat gun or 3 i want to get rid of...

Michal
December 4, 2005, 6:43 pm
Are you sure it's selected? (use the drag selection, it should become highlited)
It works for me...

Anna
December 4, 2005, 6:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by mar77aSo waypoints are already included into polyworks?
PW only loads and saves existing ones right now. I'm working on adding full waypoint support, and if things go smoothly I can update this thread in a few weeks :)

Algernon
December 5, 2005, 7:19 am
very nice app Anna, though the FAQ isn't idiot proof. i'd like point out that you cannot run PolyWorks unless you have soldat on your hardrive. i was being an idiot and kept getting a runtime error because i had my soldat on a removable USB disk, and apperently PolyWorks dosen't like that. you might want to update the FAQ to include the idiots. if i do anything else stupid and PolyWorks acts up i'll let you know. again, very nice app. it beats the pants off of old SMM by a long shot.

Algernon
December 8, 2005, 2:31 pm
where can i get a Mbmouse.ocx driver? i'm installing polyworks on another comp and i don't have a MBmouse.ocx. it's not that it is not registered, i just don't have it.

quote:Originally posted by AnnaTry putting MBMouse.ocx into your system32 folder. If it still doesn't work try to register it: start -> run, type in regsvr32 MBMouse.ocx.

i've tried that too. i put it my system32 (i have 2000) and tried to register it, but no go. i get a library error.

.JeT
December 11, 2005, 6:55 pm
Actually the reason you get that error is because your icon is not inside the folder. Thats what ive come to aquire, i try putting the icon somewhere else and it wont work and i get that same error, so just keep the icon in the folder.

Keron Cyst
December 12, 2005, 6:12 am
Anna, have you tried using MapMaker Plus? It expands on the wypts. and gives them shortcut keys so that you can trigger "move left" by tapping A, "move right" by tapping S, "up" by tapping W, "fly" by tapping X, and "down" by tapping Z. Is it possible to change the layout when you select waypoints in PW so that pushing S (for example) checks the "move right" box instead of switching to the scenery tool?

And how does right-clicking work, for clarification? Mine was checked "jets" at one point and sometimes seemed to confuse that with a wypt's. original property of "move left."

EDIT Also, in creating a new waypoint, any old wypts. should be deselected automatically when the new wypt. is selected. Please put that if you have time.

EDIT #2 In saving please make sure that the map will always save everything no matter what!! I know this was also out of my own recklessness in using a beta of it but in saving a map after wypts. starting screwing up (don't quite remember what happened, but it had to do with wypt.-connection) it failed to display scenery and texture, even in MM+, and it messed up PW whenever I tried loading the map. :-?

Anna
December 16, 2005, 3:26 pm
According to my project files PW was created on Dec. 16 2004 :]
Here is the original concept drawn by Michal at around that time:
[IMAGE]

antiCamper
December 16, 2005, 3:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by AnnaAccording to my project files PW was created on Dec. 16 2004 :]
Here is the original concept drawn by Michal at around that time:
[IMAGE]

LOL nice :DDD

Soulsnipa
December 16, 2005, 4:19 pm
this just came to mind...for as much as anna and michal work with mapmaker...they dont release very many maps.

Keron Cyst
December 16, 2005, 6:28 pm
So? Their job is to program. You make the maps :-D

*click* *fwoosh!*

Soulsnipa
December 16, 2005, 7:08 pm
idono just seems like she should make some more maps....im not an artist...she is.

Michal
December 17, 2005, 4:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystSo? Their job is to program. You make the maps :-D

*click* *fwoosh!*

Err I didn't actually do any coding... (due to my inability to do so :P)
I was behind conceptualization and ideas, as well as some graphics.

And yeah, I'm planning on making another map soon...

Soulsnipa
December 17, 2005, 4:35 pm
u should of inclded some scereny u made with polywqorks

Deleted User
December 17, 2005, 6:07 pm
*i am a pallette* xD
The waypoints look awesome, can't wait for the next update- should be HAWT :D

BTW I remember that box with the level options was in the earlier versions- why did you make it a toolbar-accessed menu? Well, I can guess why but it did make doing the sky easier ;P

Saint-Cross
December 19, 2005, 3:30 am
I can't add certain objects like flags or grenades..It gives me an error an closes the program.

Here's the error I get:

[IMAGE]

Please PM me how to fix it. :\ Thanks.

mike323
December 19, 2005, 4:39 am
Absolutely incredible, dude you're a genious for making PW.

One thing: scenery and texture windows aren't showing up...

Saint-Cross
December 19, 2005, 5:09 am
Click the window button on the toolbar at the top and then scenery and texture in the pop-up menu, that will enable them.

mike323
December 19, 2005, 5:31 am
Thats the problem, they're not coming up.

N1nj@
December 19, 2005, 9:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by Saint-CrossI can't add certain objects like flags or grenades..It gives me an error an closes the program.

Here's the error I get:

[IMAGE]

Please PM me how to fix it. :\ Thanks.

mike323
December 20, 2005, 5:24 am
Oh and I solved my problem my resetting the window locations. Strange, they seem to appear off-screen. Still, extremely impressive program. Thanks for spending the time to code it together.

zjadacz_umarlych
December 22, 2005, 4:42 pm
there is a little problem, because i can't download those program;/

mike323
December 22, 2005, 8:55 pm
try explaining what youd did

Anna
December 22, 2005, 10:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by zjadacz_umarlychthere is a little problem, because i can't download those program;/
I took down the file, check back in a few days ;>

Deleted User
December 24, 2005, 3:51 pm
omg! thats hawt :D
i think i may start using polyworks :P
i love the map :)

Anna
December 24, 2005, 3:57 pm
I've updated PolyWorks, check the first post for details.

The newest feature is the experimental quad function. It's kind of hard to use and unintuitive right now, but it should make multi-texture maps easier. Follow these instructions for a demonstration:

[code]1) set texture to mtex_desert.bmp

2) go to properties -> texture settings

width = 384, height = 128

0,0 ----- 128,0
|\ |
| \ |
| \|
0,128 ----- 128,128

3) check 'User Defined X' in View menu

4) with poly creation tool right click and check 'Textured Quad'

5) with poly creation tool create quads, first point is upper left corner and goes clockwise[/code]
If you did it correctly you should be making 4 sided shapes using only the first texture in the bitmap.

vash763
December 24, 2005, 5:39 pm
RAWR!!!!!

nice anna

Anna
December 24, 2005, 5:47 pm
I've fixed some things and re-uploaded. If you downloaded PW before now you should download it again, sorry for the inconvenience :p And thanks for the comments ^^

vash763
December 24, 2005, 5:55 pm
Ahhh, I get a "Runtime Error '5' Invalid procedure call or argument"

It's in C:\Soldat\Soldat Polyworks

and it's set to C:\Soldat

I'll see what I can find.

Raptor
December 24, 2005, 9:34 pm
OMG! YES YES YES!!! Finally... waypoints! :D

nfsjunkie91
December 25, 2005, 4:57 am
it's... it's so BEAUTIFUL! Waaaaaaaaaaypoooooooooints!!!!
Thanks for the christmas present anna :D
just gotta get home and download... on vacation still...
now i don't have to use 20k different mappers to get the waypoints i need.

Deleted User
December 26, 2005, 12:38 am
WAYPOINTS! o: Goodbye MM Plus forever!

OutofOrder
December 26, 2005, 3:49 am
Keys Numpad + and Numpad - aren't zooming in/out anymore (even when the help file still says they do)
I guess i'm gonna have to get used to ctrl + and ctrl -

Also, i suggest that the "Actual size" (160,3%) zoom stage gets between 100% zoom stage and 200% zoom stage when using the keyboard to zoom in/out. That way you don't always have to Menu View -> Actual Size everytime you want it to match Soldat zoom.
I hope i was clear there :x

Anyway, cheers for waypoints :) Excellent programming job, keep it up.

mike323
December 27, 2005, 9:56 pm
Awesome! Cool waypoints...

XAVALOONX
December 30, 2005, 1:39 am
Were di you get those christmas lights?

Keron Cyst
December 30, 2005, 9:25 pm
She made 'em. How else? What, Google for 'em or something?

Anna
December 31, 2005, 1:31 am
Light sceneries by SERIAL KILLeR: Light Scenery Pack Vol.1

Deleted User
December 31, 2005, 2:08 am
pwned.

and they look nice :D

headstone
December 31, 2005, 4:37 pm
Sweet. I like the quad function, even if it's a bit hard to get used to.

rainrider
January 6, 2006, 5:05 pm
Hey, u said I can change the poly/wireframe blending in Preferences.. but I got there only 'Directories', 'Waypoint Keys', 'HotKeys' & 'Display' [colours, window & grid].
So where it is?

vash763
January 8, 2006, 3:13 am
It's under the 'View' menu

XTender
January 9, 2006, 11:43 pm
Hmm, have a tiny request. Is it maybe possible that if you pick a VertexColor and it is in the Palette that it make the selection queare around it? Its helpfull by using different gray values to shade. ..

thx

Blake7160
January 11, 2006, 12:47 am
error on install:

some [CENSORED] about Smarttrack Quick sounds?

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installtion package "SmartSound Quicktracks.msi" in the box below

this is [CENSORED]ed
i had Polyworkes installed before but now it wants to be [CENSORED], can anyone help?

rainrider
January 12, 2006, 2:24 pm
Vash: I meant the preferences of blending, in previous version I had possiblement of changig the blending style to ONE, ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA etc..

N1nj@
January 12, 2006, 10:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by Blake7160error on install:

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installtion package "SmartSound Quicktracks.msi" in the box below

this is [CENSORED]ed
i had Polyworkes installed before but now it wants to be [CENSORED], can anyone help?
there is no need of "installing", you just extract it in a directory and open up PolyWorks.

vash763
January 14, 2006, 3:48 am
quote:Originally posted by rainriderVash: I meant the preferences of blending, in previous version I had possiblement of changig the blending style to ONE, ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA etc..

Then I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about sorry :X

mike323
January 14, 2006, 5:32 am
quote:Originally posted by Blake7160error on install:

this is [CENSORED]ed

Hey blake, do you have pinnacle studio installed on your comptuer? The same thing happened to me...very strange but i just uninstalled quicktracks from the add/remove programs.

SakAttak
January 19, 2006, 8:35 pm
Anna, your program is absolutely amazing. I've always wanted to make soldat maps, but the mapmaker turned me off completely from it. I like how you've taken some elements of programs like Photoshop and worked them in very well. I have a few suggestions on additions that might me useful. I've used 3D Studio Max a lot and these ideas are basically from that UI:

- Grouping: the ability to take a selection of objects (vertices, polygons, scenery, etc.) and save it as a named group that could be manipulated at once. That way you could, say, make a building, save it as a group, and go back to it later without having to re-select everything. With the system you already have in place, I imagine this would be pretty easy.

- Freezing/Hiding: I love how you can uncheck certain things like scenery files and hide them, and it would also be nice to be able to hide (in the editor only) individual objects or groups. A "hide this object" option of some kind could hide it, and an "unhide all" would unhide all hidden objects. If you implemented groups, this would be even more powerful, with an "unhide by group" option where you could select the name of a hidden group. Freezing would be the ability to still see the object but not select it. There have definitely been situations with overlapping objects where I have wanted to be able to do something like this.

- Layers: A layer idea within the editor could also be really nice. Within each layer there would still be an order, of course, but it could be useful to be able to know that something will always be on top of everything else. Also hiding the layers, a la Photoshop, would be great.

All of this stuff would be nice to have, but definitely isn't neccessary. Sorry if someone has already suggested these; I haven't read through the whole 22 page topic.

Keep up the amazing work!

Anna
January 20, 2006, 7:14 pm
@rainrider: It's a sekrit :Q Actually you just have to go to Preferences and click in the lower left corner, that shows the secret blending modes section.

@XTender: I've been planning to implement this for some time but didn't get to it yet, it'll be in the next version.

@SakAttak: Grouping has been suggested more than once, and it should't be too hard so I'll probably implement it eventually. I'm not sure about your other suggestions though, they'd be useful to have but harder to implement.

grand_diablo
January 20, 2006, 7:59 pm
someone asked it on IRC, I perhaps missed the answer, but...

since Soldat works with some windows stuff to show scens, thats why it can show pngs (afair). Is it possible to utilize (Animated) GIFs this way aswell?

KeFear
January 20, 2006, 8:50 pm
Well, i don't think so. By default in Delphi, animated GIFs are not supported. So unless MM writes some code for them, they won't be available. I hope he will, i would really love to see some animated scenery in maps, i've prayed for it many, many times ^¸^

rainrider
January 20, 2006, 11:42 pm
GIF algorithm is commercial and paid.

Anna
January 21, 2006, 1:07 am
Soldat can use png because it's supported by DirectX, I don't think gif is supported. Animated png scenery using my method would be cooler anyway :>

rainrider
January 21, 2006, 3:12 am
I had similar idea on polish forum, but i thought about vertical graphics ... In my opinion MM is just too lazy to implement that.

SakAttak
January 26, 2006, 8:57 pm
I just remembered why I thought the "freezing" idea would be good: map remakes. You could open an existing map, freeze the whole thing so it can't be selected, and make a new layer directly on top of it with your new version. Afterward the original layer could be deleted. Maybe this would result in too many remakes, though...

oskarkympers
January 27, 2006, 6:30 pm
[CENSORED] ik looks nice but doesn't works
i always get an error
seems like a file named comdlg32.ocx is mmissing

How do i have to place scenery in normal mapmaker

oskarkympers
January 27, 2006, 6:36 pm
[img][/img]

I always get this erreor help me

rainrider
January 28, 2006, 3:57 pm
Damn, Anna & Michal, u have to fix that fast... the DirectInput does not work correctly, I got many bugs. For example after holding ctrl and doing some action [making polys etc] and then unkeypressing sometimes i can't switch between tools by keyboard, couse Polyworks think ctrl is still keypressed.

Deleted User
February 4, 2006, 10:31 pm
When I try to run Poly Works I keep getting this thing that says "System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found." I downloaded the mapmaker thing 2 days ago and it worked fine, but now it just gives me this message every time. I tried redownloading it and it's still the same. Is it a corrupt download or is is just something on my comp?

Michal
February 5, 2006, 5:05 am
From the FAQ in the first post:
 Quote:09. I get this error when I try to run PolyWorks: System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found.

rabidhamster
February 10, 2006, 12:40 am
hey anna, when are you planning on releasing some of your maps (besides all the eskimogirls remakes :P)?

Soulsnipa
February 10, 2006, 10:20 pm
What is the fix for the Runtime Error 5?

In order to use polyworks make sure you have run soldat once before starting up polyworks for the first time.

Notkeiran
February 14, 2006, 6:56 am
Runtime Error 76 or something. Arg!!!

Deleted User
February 16, 2006, 12:44 am
to me says patch not found

Deleted User
February 16, 2006, 4:44 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by NotkeiranRuntime Error 76 or something. Arg!!!

your not alone.. i get errors like that quite often.

Notkeiran
February 18, 2006, 10:21 pm
But I mean I can't run it at all. Just gives me that error and I press Ok and it closes. And I wanted to be the next kick ass map creator :( :P.

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 10:31 pm
Im getting the same problem. I just got it, extracted it, gives me that error, and crashes. Where did I go wrong...o.o

Run time error '76'

Path not found.

afly
February 24, 2006, 10:57 pm
I would like to ask, Can you make the Color Pakette Bigger? I really need room for 2x/5x more colors. Is this possbile anna? <3. I really hate to have to change the nuber values when I want to change a another color(that I dont have on my palette already.).

SERIAL KILLeR
February 24, 2006, 11:04 pm
You can load and save palletes.
Click on the little arrow, next to the [x] on the palette window and Load/Save a Palett.

Anna
March 10, 2006, 12:07 am
I've made a small PolyWorks update. The biggest new feature is the texture window, which is for use with the quad tool (right click with poly creation tool). The next version of PW will have some additional features and refinements to the interface.

gohen84
March 10, 2006, 12:41 am
It says something about an acess violation whenever I try to play on my map....Not sure if you can help.

rabidhamster
March 10, 2006, 1:26 am
hooray! i hope you fixed the problem with the background colors not saving correctly.

how does the texture window work?

edit: never mind, i understand it now. the texture window is truly amazing.

Koon
March 10, 2006, 2:19 am
New Version! hooray!

GluLm
March 13, 2006, 3:52 pm
The next texture window makes the quad feature much easier to use now. That's a cool idea!
I noticed a bug when changing the grid colours ("incorrect procedure call") but it doesn't crash PW so it's no big deal.
PolyWorks is definitely the best mapmaker ever created since EditPro. Thanks Anna for your hard work!

rabidhamster
March 13, 2006, 10:51 pm
i still want to see some of your maps anna, even if they are unfinished.

Deleted User
March 14, 2006, 12:05 am
LET IT DIE!

Soulsnipa
March 14, 2006, 11:45 am
just tested, awesome update.

Dibi Zibi
March 18, 2006, 12:28 pm
That is great!
The best map editor!

p.s. Is there someone, who want to do some waypoints in my map?

rainrider
March 18, 2006, 6:12 pm
Still many damn bugs with keyboard (dx input crashing when doing alt+tab, error when changing background colors of the map and so on)..

nfsjunkie91
March 19, 2006, 4:56 am
yay! another update! I should make some more maps soon...

jesus
March 19, 2006, 2:22 pm
Hummm...My polyworks doesnt work i looked out what u said but its anoying can u explain better??

jesus
March 19, 2006, 2:25 pm
Please i really but really need help it says MSComCtl.ocx is not existing or somethings like that PLEASE Anna help me:'(

jesus
March 19, 2006, 2:26 pm
Please Please Send me all oxc Files and dll Files or help me!

mar77a
March 19, 2006, 2:44 pm
Jesus, download the VB Runtime library from www.microsoft.com

jesus
March 19, 2006, 3:33 pm
omg where ?

mar77a
March 19, 2006, 3:46 pm
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=1&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3dbf9a24f9-b5c5-48f4-8edd-cdf2d29a79d5%26DisplayLang%3den

jesus
March 19, 2006, 4:32 pm
still dont work

jesus
March 19, 2006, 4:33 pm
X( It sucks how can i make my polyworks (works) polydontwork...

jesus
March 19, 2006, 4:39 pm
/¯¯¯\ /¯¯¯ O \ | O | \___/ \___/

jesus
March 19, 2006, 4:40 pm
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯,

jesus
March 19, 2006, 4:42 pm
(>_<) (<_<) | |

jesus
March 19, 2006, 4:44 pm
/¯¯¯¯|_____|
|¯¯¯¯¯|
|||||||
\¯¯¯¯¯/
¯¯¯¯¯

Mäjsseli
March 20, 2006, 1:41 pm
[ot]omg. Thats called spamming[/ot]
<a href= "something valid">
I think that this is good mapping program. Still i found it very difficult in the begining. Since there is so many buttons. I tried this one, but i couldn't get a clue how to do a good map. I did cr*ppy maps. And player fell right thru polygons. At first i didnt know what to do. Now i find it much less diffucult. Its hard to make really good maps, but its easy to make cr*ppy maps.
</a>

Mothafix
March 22, 2006, 9:14 pm
I got this kind of error: "Invalid procedure call or argument"
Wtf is that?

rabidhamster
March 22, 2006, 11:22 pm
^that happens to me after i change the background color. as long as polyworks doesn't crash, it's not a problem.

Anna
March 23, 2006, 5:19 pm
@people with errors when starting: I made a small update, you can try re-downloading and see if it works.

jesus of canada
March 26, 2006, 12:39 am
Where i download it =/ ?

rabidhamster
March 26, 2006, 1:57 am
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=23906

jesus of canada
March 26, 2006, 2:02 pm
Still dont work ='(

jesus of canada
March 26, 2006, 2:03 pm
Where could i get some help please

Eagles_Arrows
March 26, 2006, 2:31 pm
You Jesuses are killing me.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/caek/Soldat_PolyWorks.zip

iDante
April 4, 2006, 1:02 am
When I go to download it I click the link and get Error Host Not Accesible... is there anywhere else it is hosted?

Deleted User
April 4, 2006, 6:37 am
why does it have to be textured quad for it to utilize the multi texture?
btw, nice job anna, the texture window helps to select texture sizes (for multitexture)

Anna
April 4, 2006, 4:17 pm
alternate PW download

iDante
April 4, 2006, 11:48 pm
THANK YOU... pretty cool program, alot better than mapmaker

vash763
April 6, 2006, 10:34 am
Anna, just another post of praise.

A great program, that has opened up many new niches in the Soldat universe that would have taken much longer to discover with out it.

The Rofl Lion
April 7, 2006, 2:34 pm
2 Ideas/suggestions for next update/version of polyworks
1: Be able to add 2 or more properties to polygons, e.g. Only bullets collide + Hurts etc. if u cant already do that im not that great at polyworks
2: Be able to grab the Hypotenuse (longest edge) of a poly and curve/bend it in or out to make curves instead of having to stack 10 or so polys, I know this may be quite impossible, so if there was a tool that could create the polys and place them according as u bend that would be cool
Hope you understood this post bye bye now

Deleted User
April 7, 2006, 2:53 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by The Rofl Lion2 Ideas/suggestions for next update/version of polyworks
1: Be able to add 2 or more properties to polygons, e.g. Only bullets collide + Hurts etc. if u cant already do that im not that great at polyworks
2: Be able to grab the Hypotenuse (longest edge) of a poly and curve/bend it in or out to make curves instead of having to stack 10 or so polys, I know this may be quite impossible, so if there was a tool that could create the polys and place them according as u bend that would be cool
Hope you understood this post bye bye now

Now try suggesting something that is actually possible by Soldat...

FliesLikeABrick
April 7, 2006, 3:14 pm
Rofl lion:

The whole point of polygons is that you use the individual polygons to create complex shapes, rather than drawing obscure lines and bends. This is the entire point of using polygons in mapmaking, because rendering polygons while playing the game is a lot more sane than trying to render bent objects.

this is not possible, just to elaborate on what enesce replied

The Rofl Lion
April 7, 2006, 8:19 pm
What about a tool that creates the polys automatically to make curves out of more polys, that could be possible and would save a lot of human error

mar77a
April 7, 2006, 8:22 pm
Yes, that's possible, check the Fan Apps forum.

KamikazeDuck
April 8, 2006, 10:01 am
Just a small bug with the new version, when you have the new (and very helpful) "texture" window open and you minimise polyworks, the window will be gone when you maximise the program and you have to reshow the window under view.

Sliker_Hawk
April 8, 2006, 5:33 pm
I don't know if this has already been posted, but I thought maybe you could add an export option that compiles the map and copies the scenery files it needs to a folder in PW's maps directory, keeping the directory structure intact.

DorkeyDear
April 9, 2006, 10:28 pm
Anna, THIS IS AWSOME!...Well, I messed around with it and stuff for a while but never posted.
Now that I need help, or something, uhh, any chance anybody could post a link to a download to a map that was made in polyworks that has some polys made with the textured quad thing in it so i can actually see what it looks like and fiddle with it so i can learn how to do it? i find it difficult how to use it with it looking good.
I looked at a tutorial thing and got somewhere, but my creations seem to not look so good. :(

KamikazeDuck
April 11, 2006, 10:39 pm
Here's some good examples of multitexturing at its finest:

Xtender's map (JapanHeights)
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=31024
Annas maps (EskimoGirls and some remakes of it)
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=27564

Radar
April 17, 2006, 9:42 pm
Im new to the forum and i just stubled on this by googe :)

i saw the mapmaker and i was awesomefide. but i have come in to a few poblems and errors such as:

1. Error loading workspace invalid property value
2. Error loading colours type mismatch
3. error loading path not found: 'C:\Soldat\PolyWorks\gfx\titlebar_main.bmp'
4. path not found 'C:\Soldat\PolyWorks\gfx\titlebar_properties.bmp'
errror loading properties form

im no computer genuis and i would really like to try this out.

Radar
April 19, 2006, 4:46 pm
Dudes, these maps that i have seen so far made with this mapmaker own. they look ten times better than the maps made with the "offical" one.everything looks more smooth. to bad i can get mine to work >.<

hgtonight
April 29, 2006, 6:22 pm
Anna, amazing program. It is wondeful to know that the soldat community can make such wondeful programs! I had been using the official map maker to make a SSBM map and I worked on it for 2 1/2 hours. My roommate, told me about PolyWorks, so I thought I would check it out. I completely rebuilt my entire map in about 20 minutes with it! This is mainly due to the scenery placement of click, rotate, click, scale, click. Either that, or I am just really slow at building maps ;)

I have one suggestion that might/might not be difficult to implement. I suggest that when windows are snapped together and you collapse one, the other windows snap to its title bar. Either that, or be able to have tabs for the different windows in one window. I don't know if that makes sense but it would be great!

Wonderful, time-saving, and a sweet color scheme. Keep up the amazing work!

carnageX
May 1, 2006, 2:45 am
This is a great program, but I have one thing wrong... I cannot have png's that have an alpha value, I believe it's called, (become transparent). It says that I need the gdi+ dll file, because I don't have an XP system, but I don't see it included with PolyWorks =\. So, where can I get this extra file, and were would I extract it to? Because on one of my maps (Frozen Mine [see siggy link]), the light beams I have are solid colors, and don't fade to transparency, like I would like them to do. I don't know if it's because of the missing dll file, or what. Help would be appreciated, thanks =).

DorkeyDear
May 2, 2006, 10:39 pm
(Texture-quad. thingy + multi texture)

Not sure where to sugust things at but I would love for you or somebody who knows what they're doing to make a video tutorial for making good-looking maps (or a mini-map for just tutorial reasons) which i could follow myself and try to mimic and do (I'm still having a bit of trouble getting a good-looking one to work)

I rather have a DivX than any others but it isn't required..

RadleyGH
May 5, 2006, 9:59 am
Finally getting the hang of this program now! I was going to make a new map when i finished my last one (which was also my first) but being able to zoom in I noticed some areas were REALLY bad (One had at least 20 polys that didnt match up, whenever u walked over it u stopped or got shot off randomly ?!)

Anyways, heres the things I dont really understand:

1: How to add colors to the color palette, I know you use dropped tool and double click to get a color but how do you add it to the 50 boxes below?
2: Zooming is a pain, I find myself zooming out then back in at a different area... It does work but its very anoying :X -- is there a better way to do this? (A hotkey maybe?)
3: Im having some trouble creating polys that "dont collide". I check the box so that the polys dont collide, but then as I place them I go back and i have to change each one again! Why is this?

Also, if you put out a new update anytime soon you should make poly angles merge into the SIDES of other polys, so that when your making smooth ramps and stuff you dont merge joints, you merge the side... You can make them go in but then if your shading it can look bad

Oh and a bug if you open the program twice (I like to double click alot) one will say something about access denied and then crash, then say "Soldat has encountered an error, send error report now?". Not like its a bad problem but you should fix it in the next patch anyway (if there will be one?)

The Hitman
May 7, 2006, 5:20 am
I get an error message that says: Component 'MBMouse' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Also when I download it and open it with or without the error message all the triangular polygons of whatever u call them have a white outlining I hate that and also another problem is whenever I open a map like INF_Starwars the image of the ship and sabe fight don?t show but the ship sort of dose just all outlined I don?t know what the problem is I never made a map that was good so I need some help please.

What should I do I really want to use this great map maker.

The Hitman
May 10, 2006, 12:47 am
Can anyone help me sorry but i really want to use this.

Soulsnipa
May 10, 2006, 1:04 am
u need to open the display properties and click wireframe...that will turn off the white outline.

Inf star wars happens to be my map...make sure the scenery is enabled in the display box and that the snenery is in your scenery folder. The outline of the ship is actually behind the ships scenery and gives it its sctucture so you can walk on it.

The other error I think theres a download on the main page.

Once sml gets up you can view tutorials @ this site: http://sml.u13.net/tutorial

rabidhamster
May 10, 2006, 4:15 am
 Quote:Originally posted by RadleyGHFinally getting the hang of this program now! I was going to make a new map when i finished my last one (which was also my first) but being able to zoom in I noticed some areas were REALLY bad (One had at least 20 polys that didnt match up, whenever u walked over it u stopped or got shot off randomly ?!)

Anyways, heres the things I dont really understand:

1: How to add colors to the color palette, I know you use dropped tool and double click to get a color but how do you add it to the 50 boxes below? Right click the palette>"add to palette"
2: Zooming is a pain, I find myself zooming out then back in at a different area... It does work but its very anoying :X -- is there a better way to do this? (A hotkey maybe?) you zoom in to where your mouse is
3: Im having some trouble creating polys that "dont collide". I check the box so that the polys dont collide, but then as I place them I go back and i have to change each one again! Why is this? Before you place the poly, right click on the map area > "Doesn't collide." Start making doesn't collide polygons.

The Hitman
May 11, 2006, 5:03 am
Ok but i have another problem whemn i make a map i go throw every object and that link dident work

Soulsnipa
May 11, 2006, 6:22 am
you have to compile the map, i believe the shortcut key is f9, its in the file menu check it out then play your map.

The Hitman
May 11, 2006, 11:19 pm
thank you soo much for help

S.P.A.R.T.A.N 192
May 16, 2006, 9:07 pm
i cant get it to work, the soldier just wont stay on the platforms, he like.. flies right trugh them :(

rabidhamster
May 17, 2006, 12:40 am
 Quote:Originally posted by The HitmanOk but i have another problem whemn i make a map i go throw every object and that link dident work
 Quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipayou have to compile the map, i believe the shortcut key is f9, its in the file menu check it out then play your map.
 Quote:Originally posted by The Hitmanthank you soo much for help

Read posts above you damnit.

S.P.A.R.T.A.N 192
May 17, 2006, 2:25 pm
i am reading and i cant find it FFS!

S.P.A.R.T.A.N 192
May 17, 2006, 2:26 pm
oh i found it, if its the f9 key thing:P sorry for pissing you of :P

Soulsnipa
May 17, 2006, 6:56 pm
Dont mind rabid he talks to vig. :P

S.P.A.R.T.A.N 192
May 17, 2006, 7:11 pm
kk, well noob question nr.2 can you put statioinary towers on the map? ( thoose like in air pirates ) and if u can, how?

KamikazeDuck
May 17, 2006, 10:35 pm
objects (where you get spawns and colliders)

Eagles_Arrows
May 18, 2006, 12:06 am
 Quote:Originally posted by S.P.A.R.T.A.N 192kk, well noob question nr.2 can you put statioinary towers on the map? ( thoose like in air pirates ) and if u can, how?

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=33608

read last post

S.P.A.R.T.A.N 192
May 18, 2006, 8:20 pm
kk, well. noob question nr3.. how to make the bridges u do out of the treelooking tool ''walkable''?

Eagles_Arrows
May 20, 2006, 11:24 pm
The term "treelooking tool" really makes you sound noobish. Try using the term "SCENERY TOOL" plzkthx.

And WELCOME to Eagle's Portable FAQ.
 Quote:how to make the bridges "walkable?"
Here are some notes:

1) Sceneries aren't solid. I'm sure you've realized that by now.
2) Objects that are "walkable" is because of polygons!!! They make anything solid.

So not only will this FAQ teach you the methods on how to make bridges solid for Soldats, but you can also apply those methods onto other sceneries, like crates and, hell, even trees!

[IMAGE]

So you had to realize scenery is not solid the hard way. Scenery is there mainly for decoration purposes. It can also be used to hide soldats and to act like "sandbags" and absorb soldat's bullets.

The above illustration is just a standard col2 scenery without any rotation or stretching applied to it zoomed at 305%. If you want the scenery to actually become a "part" of the map, apply polys to it.

[IMAGE]

Before you begin adding polys behind scenery, make sure the scenery you want "walkable" are set in "FRONT" position. If it is set in "MIDDLE" or "BACK" position, it will fall behind the polys, not in front of them. So add polys over the scenery, and that's pretty much it.

[IMAGE]

Now you know.

S.P.A.R.T.A.N 192
May 21, 2006, 3:31 pm
i am noob so, ill stick whit ''tree looking''... and btw THX!

Who flung poo
May 24, 2006, 7:47 pm
We have been introduced into a new era of Soldat mapping....Prepare yourselves!!

-Who