May 24, 2005, 12:08 am
This topic seems awfully familiar...hmmmm...*strokes beard*

How do we know it'll be added for sure?

grand_diablo
May 24, 2005, 12:11 am
Because we have a deal with Michal ;o

Alamo
May 24, 2005, 1:36 am
You posted in two sections... that's evil...
I really appreciate things like that... I'm not a good mapper though :((

Keron Cyst
May 24, 2005, 3:08 am
That doesn't include official scenery, does it (only third-party)? And only one map out of the whole bonanza, even if every mapper submits three, will be accepted? :-(

EDIT If we don't even know when the next version will be released, why is there such a tight deadline date? I'd really like that moved up at least just a week, if possible (you can get quite a lot done in that short time)...

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 3:59 am
grand_diablo, comitee members are not going to make maps aswell?

Keron Cyst
May 24, 2005, 5:04 am
The article said they can. It's just that they can't rate their own maps, of course :-P

Avarax
May 24, 2005, 6:37 am
comitee members will make maps aswell.
hehehehehe ^^

grand_diablo
May 24, 2005, 1:22 pm
comitee members can participate aswell (yet they cant rate their own maps) but in case they have an equal rating with another map that might get into the top selection for the testing ladder, it will be ranked down of course.

Rambo_6
May 24, 2005, 1:51 pm
I need your guyses input on this. I have 3 maps, what 3 should i send?

-ctf_Pitfall (This one goes wayyy back)
-ctf_Fastline (A good deathmatchy-type map with an original design)
-ctf_Forge (i'll prolly put this in the pack, since i love it the most)
-ctf_Lowlands (It looks pretty lame, but plays beautifully)

which map shall i eliminate? I'm no longer a mapper, but i wanna participate in this compo.

May 24, 2005, 2:22 pm
Hello, hello. I think I might cook something up for this one.

DeMonIc
May 24, 2005, 3:22 pm
How many maps will be added this way?
Do you accept older maps, or should we make a new map for this occasion?
Who can I bribe?

Boxo
May 24, 2005, 3:24 pm
Whee, nifty.

I'll be sure to send a couple of maps there.

grand_diablo
May 24, 2005, 4:41 pm
You can hand in older maps aswell, if they fit the rules.

The comitee members are listed in the linked news, if you wanna know whom to bribe :p

Keron Cyst
May 24, 2005, 8:40 pm
What are they tempted by?... xP

Rambo_6
May 25, 2005, 3:57 am
HOT SECHS OBVIOUSLY.

I am including ctf_Forge and ctf_Pitfall in a map pack, along with ctf_Oriental.

One question: Do the judges rate all the maps, then eliminate the worst ranked until only a few remain???

Keron Cyst
May 25, 2005, 4:48 am
Yeah, my question above wasn't answered, either. How many maps will be thrown into the new version in the very end? Just one, or three? If it's just one, I really hope there will be an extra runners-up separate map pack you can download for others that tied in really closely :-)

grand_diablo
May 25, 2005, 12:19 pm
We havent found a rating system yet, but this has time until the end of june :p

Only the winner map gets added to the next version by 100%. But maybe Michal will like some other finalist maps so much, that there might be the one or other surprise. We'll see, thats up to him, by now only the winner map will be in by 100%.

Maps will be graded by their playability in 3on3/4on4 and looks mainly. Of course there shouldn't be no severe mapbugs, so be sure to check your map as good as possible ;)

chakapoko maker
May 25, 2005, 2:09 pm
The mapping season! but making 3 ctf maps is kinda hard.

damnnation
May 25, 2005, 2:29 pm
oh comon Chacapoko you can do it, your maps are always great and i'm shure that if you make do it this time also it'l get in th next version

grand_diablo
May 25, 2005, 4:09 pm
You don't have to make 3 maps :p

you can submit only 1 aswell, and its always better to invest more time in a single map and improve its quality than releasing 3 maps that are mediocre.

But as far as I know chakapoko maker, we don't have to worry bout his map's quality xD

Cookie`
May 25, 2005, 8:24 pm
You should let Michal pick the maps ;)

poo! only ctf map can win? :"(

Rambo_6
May 26, 2005, 12:02 am
Hmm, so the map has to be playable on 4 on 4? Poo. All my maps are bigger and meant for 5 on 5, or higher.

Darkspirit
May 26, 2005, 1:50 am
Lol I think that it's good that ur familiar with big maps, If u can do big maps, I think that when u will do small maps, u will laugh how it's easier than big maps to do, so try doing small maps, it will be marvelous, your "big" maps are already soo good ;)

Rambo_6
May 26, 2005, 4:30 am
I did make one or two small ctf maps, but i don't really like them. Of course, that is only my opinion.

Perhaps i could post them anyways? Maybe i'll get some feedback as to which maps i must use.

Deleted User
May 26, 2005, 1:38 pm
I want a similar contest for DM maps.

chakapoko maker
May 26, 2005, 2:39 pm
:D > damnnation & g_d

map scale is a thing. as i've watched ESL demos, it means Laos, Viet, Kampf, Voland and Afghanistan(oh my). i had regarded them as largish midium maps because most of servers set theym as 6vs6, crowded. i guess an admin knows that the remains of players who are playing there induce a new soldat at lobby and sets the seating capacity of 12 like a big stomatch or just default without a setting. Laos is 3vs3.
i can't get a new layout atm... :o

Keron Cyst
May 28, 2005, 7:18 am
I hope a map that is probably more well-suited to 5 vs. 5 can still have a chance (that's what most of my maps are sized around, as I always plan them on paper and they seem to suit 5-6 players per team)...

Norse
May 28, 2005, 7:03 pm
I never made a ctf map before. Maybe I'll come up with something. Let me take a nab at it. I'll post back here (or email) when it looks done.

Deleted User
May 28, 2005, 11:01 pm
i've sent my map to the "council of wisdom"

do we also have to post them (maps) here?

Keron Cyst
May 30, 2005, 3:06 am
Nah, it only said to e-mail 'em.

grand_diablo
May 30, 2005, 1:30 pm
just to be precisely:
the main focus of the map's size should be 3on3., yet it shouldnt be too narrow for 4on4. I guess this means a sizerange ranging from Laos to B2b.

Keron Cyst
May 30, 2005, 4:02 pm
Ooh, awesome (in other words, my map should be valid) :-)

EDIT This is completely off-topic, but after reading throgh the article a bit more, I should like to know which the last 6 maps added by mappers other than Michal were, and maybe who created them.

grand_diablo
June 2, 2005, 1:44 pm
the last added external maps were:

- ctf_Chernobyl / ctf_Equinox (Tha Doggfather)
- ctf_Dropdown (some finnish player, don't remember his name ^^)
- ctf_Crashed (no idea at all)
- ctf_Maya (my contribution)
- ctf_Death (remake by NuZz)

Avarax
June 2, 2005, 3:31 pm
[IMAGE]

*spoil*

(spawns and flag are at the ends of middle tunnel.)

Hoodlum
June 2, 2005, 6:56 pm
I want to see the turnout of this.

Good luck.

Boxo
June 4, 2005, 4:02 pm
quote:[i]
- ctf_Dropdown (some finnish player, don't remember his name ^^)

Me, it's mee, tard.

Just BTW,do the contest entry maps need to be waypointed?

Keron Cyst
June 4, 2005, 5:16 pm
No.

Darkspirit
June 4, 2005, 8:28 pm
COOL!!! But, why don't do an INF maps contest?? Infiltration is not as popular as CTF and DM but there is only 5 inf maps. :/

DeMonIc
June 4, 2005, 10:32 pm
I believe Michal would like to keep that choice to himself. This compo is only a reward for us, I'm sure other maps will be chosen aswell.

Deleted User
June 4, 2005, 11:28 pm
why only ONE map? why not 10 or 20? the more the merryer..

Darkspirit
June 4, 2005, 11:55 pm
Yeah that's true! When 1.2.1 version was released, there was about 10 new maps.

Keron Cyst
June 5, 2005, 1:05 am
6, actually :-P But yeah, I'd really like an additional "runners-up" map pack for those that followed shortly after first place.

Avarax
June 5, 2005, 6:48 pm
how about climb maps in official version including new climb mode :P

grand_diablo
June 6, 2005, 11:11 pm
Just a reminder: Ive received 9 submissions so far, don't forget: its not enough to just present your map here on the forums, if you want to participate, send the download links (take care that the maps must be available on the host for at least 1-2 months) or the map/s zipped to mappingcontest@gmx.net

Dont forget to include a small description of each map, even if you only send the dl links!

NuZZ
June 11, 2005, 8:23 am
maybe i shud make a map

Darkspirit
June 11, 2005, 6:02 pm
Yeah NuZZ, the maps you make are nice. I'm sure that you will have chances to win ;)

Rambo_6
June 11, 2005, 8:12 pm
NOT IF I AM IN TEH C0NTEST!1!11

i included an idea in the email i sent the mapping contest d00dz, but i think i'll also post it here.

What if 5 awards were also given out during the mapping compo?

Best Map Overall (the winner of course)
Most Playable Map
Best Map Design
Best Looking Map
Most Original Map

The awards would have nothing to do with what map wins, but it would shed some light on other talented members of the community, and not just the winner. What does ye think?

damnnation
June 11, 2005, 11:05 pm
i like Rambo's idea, then if thyre map isn't good enough for the next verion thy'll still could get a reward for tose things

grand_diablo
June 11, 2005, 11:29 pm
Rambo, the highest ranked maps (by the comitee) will be presented before they are going to the final stage: a ctf ladder.

ThaD
June 12, 2005, 9:18 am
ot's off topic I know but I can't resist;)

It's comitee or committee?

Guil
June 23, 2005, 5:44 am
WEE! I'm not too late to finish my map. :) It's really true than we are not forced to create waypoints?

Keron Cyst
June 23, 2005, 6:39 am
Waypoints aren't that hard, considering how disobedient the bots are (they won't even follow Michal's himself :-P). Rather, what I hate more is that only one map will get through all the filters and be released with the next version. Two at least would be better.

Guil
June 23, 2005, 9:12 pm
Waypoints are not that hard to use yeah but 'cause of the limits, I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it properly.

I hate so much the waypoints and scenaries limits. :(

Captain Ben
June 26, 2005, 11:41 am
That's cool! The only thing keeping me away from this contest was the waypointing!

Deleted User
June 26, 2005, 12:09 pm
I can waypoint it for you:) i waypointed ctf_taurus and ctf_maya and 30 other maps.

Roy
June 27, 2005, 6:05 pm
Damn, it's crunch time now. I only heard about this contest two weeks ago, and since then I've only completed one map. Then I lost my inspiration for a while, so I'll have to work hard to get the rest of my work finished. I'll probably only submit 2 maps.

grand_diablo
June 27, 2005, 10:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by HHHI can waypoint it for you:) i waypointed ctf_taurus and ctf_maya and 30 other maps.

I cant tell bout taurus, but ctf_Maya is one of the few maps Ive waypointed myself :p

Its possible that you wped Maya2, cause I didnt wp it myself (is it even waypointed? Dunno anymore O.o)

EDIT:
Ah, there we go. You did the Maya2 wps, and it was good work ;D
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19870

Deleted User
June 27, 2005, 10:51 pm
so it was maya2 i waypointed?
i can't seem to remember anything these days:p

grand_diablo
July 1, 2005, 9:40 am
submission time has ended, and the comitee's work begun.

Vijchtidoodah
July 1, 2005, 10:56 am
Hehe, look at my font in that thread...I should do that again just to annoy you all.

Anyhoo, do you ever dream of something and then it happens? That just happened to me: I had a glimpse in a dream of the two posts between g_d and HHH...and now I'm seeing them.

Straaaaange things are happenin'...to me...yeah - straaaaange things, are happenin'...to me.

PopeJohnPaul_II
July 1, 2005, 11:03 am
quote:Originally posted by grand_diablosubmission time has ended, and the comitee's work begun.

I suppose it would be to late for me to submit a map. It almost sounded like there was no clear deadline. Oh well, I can always hope to try at the next next Soldat version.

Deleted User
July 1, 2005, 3:54 pm
if there will ever be one..

Avarax
July 2, 2005, 10:21 am
[URL]

-> overviews of all maps participating

Goofy_92
July 2, 2005, 10:39 am
Thanks Avarax!

EDIT: Some of the maps look like... You know what I mean. ;)

Vijchtidoodah
July 2, 2005, 11:23 am
http://home.arcor.de/avarax/contest/rover.JPG
http://home.arcor.de/avarax/contest/siege.JPG

!

I must know who made those...

Meandor
July 2, 2005, 2:32 pm
Awesome :o
Too bad those'd be appropriate for an INF map, and not a CTF one. If he managed to make them actually fun and balanced other than good looking, I'd tip my hat off to him.
So.. no chance we're getting to lay our dirty paws on all those maps in a nifty mappack? ^^

grand_diablo
July 2, 2005, 3:09 pm
www.denacke.net/Dibo/esl/Contest_Submissions.zip

all submitted and accepted maps, incl. the buggy and scrappy ones ;o

Meandor
July 2, 2005, 3:26 pm
<3

Avarax
July 2, 2005, 4:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodahhttp://home.arcor.de/avarax/contest/rover.JPG

!

dunno, but this is by hime too, but my mapmaker didnt show up the scenery...

Meandor
July 2, 2005, 4:55 pm
Scenery doesn't work for me either. Only on rover it does, but it crashes my pc :P

Deleted User
July 2, 2005, 9:02 pm
I can't wait for the results.

Keron Cyst
July 2, 2005, 9:06 pm
*rofl* Good luck deciding among all those awesome maps, committee xD

chakapoko maker
July 2, 2005, 9:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodahhttp://home.arcor.de/avarax/contest/rover.JPG

!

totally owning...
he'd be a pixel pro.
edit: ah, yes they are. http://www.mnpp.net/features_soldat_maps.htm

and thx Avarax and g_d for that.

Goofy_92
July 3, 2005, 6:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by grand_diablowww.denacke.net/Dibo/esl/Contest_Submissions.zip

So those are the maps what are going to be in the next version? :\

Avarax
July 3, 2005, 7:28 pm
nah ;)
those are the ones from which we comitee members select.
the selected ones will form the mappool for a special temporary ESL CTF league, the most played map will be in the next soldat version

July 3, 2005, 11:11 pm
I've noticed that a lot of these maps are HUGE... Where's the love for small maps?
Also, too bad that rover and seige suffer from good-looks-poor-gameplay syndrome...

Soap
July 6, 2005, 11:12 pm
I made my map small.

Rover and Siege look pretty good. I've made maps like that before (the photoshopping takes weeks) but the scenery was so hectic that it crashed the PCs of a few of my map beta testers :<

Vijchtidoodah
July 7, 2005, 12:04 am
When will we know the results?

Aquarius
July 7, 2005, 12:23 am
quote:Two maps need a scenery called "statue2.bmp", but those two
use different ones. So if needed, rename statue2_1.bmp to
statue2.bmp and vice versa.
One of those maps is ctf_Forge by Rambo6.
Another reason to use *tags* in scenery and texture names (like "rambo6_statue2.bmp"). Is it THAT hard??? :/

Keron Cyst
July 7, 2005, 1:02 am
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahWhen will we know the results?
That's gonna take a while :-D Hope you're comfy...

Vijchtidoodah
July 7, 2005, 2:03 am
Comfy, but anxious.

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 4:25 am
quote:Originally posted by grand_diablowww.denacke.net/Dibo/esl/Contest_Submissions.zip

:O

sexxi.

Avarax
July 9, 2005, 5:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahWhen will we know the results?

dibo, interruptman, luke and me have made their decisions. only MM's and geologists missing.

marage is doing pretty good... :D

Keron Cyst
July 9, 2005, 6:21 pm
You're really only picking one map? There won't even be any extra runners-up separate map pack?...

DeMonIc
July 15, 2005, 7:39 pm
http://www.esl-europe.net/eu/soldat/news/13995/

Go go ESL Contest :>

Vijchtidoodah
July 15, 2005, 9:43 pm
My baby didn't make it. :(

_Mancer_
July 16, 2005, 12:31 am
I'd vote for lanubya.. I love the gameplay and the design of that map.

I would also vote for vijchtidoodah... but I probably wouldnt because theyre's too many routes (the above ones) and some of the polys that block paths (like dirt mounds and stuff) really slow down gameplay.

Soap
July 16, 2005, 3:14 am
I am going to lose.

Cookie.
July 16, 2005, 6:42 am
Go Chakapaakakakao maker and soap! If either of you don't win ill be sad :'(

Soap
July 16, 2005, 6:48 am
I hope Chakapaakakakao maker wins, because my map is terrible.

GAMEOVER
July 16, 2005, 7:39 am
no your map owns they all do

DeMonIc
July 16, 2005, 8:43 am
I think eithet maya2 or lanubya will win, since they are better known maps, therefore players will choose maps that they know and they won't risk the unsure.

chakapoko maker
July 16, 2005, 11:11 am
i learned a bribe'n'contract when i was 13 years old, in summer, with a piece of chupachups...

grand_diablo
July 16, 2005, 12:53 pm
although you already found it, ive updated the main topic :p

Deleted User
July 16, 2005, 9:16 pm
Man, why didn't Battle Hill get to the finals!? :'( My first map, my only hope.

The Geologist
July 16, 2005, 9:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by TradeMAAKMan, why didn't Battle Hill get to the finals!? :'( My first map, my only hope.

Well, I can't speak for the other judges, but I found the one leveled approach to be a bit counter productive in game play. Good layout, yet I prefer at least two routes. Also, the whole "hanging island" feeling is a bit of a no no imo...grounding the level or at least changing the ends would have gone a long way towards a better map. Scenery/collider use is a bit busy for this map also.

On the plus side, I liked your shading/color (a bit more variety would have been nice - very brown map). I also liked your towers for holding the flags, as well as the 3D feel some of your scenery placement gave parts of the map.

Deleted User
July 16, 2005, 9:48 pm
Yeah, well when I made that map I didn't make it for the competition, so that's why I didn't place 2 routes and made it float. After finishing the map I found out that there is a competition, and it was 24 in the evening, last day when you can send your maps :D

Avarax
July 17, 2005, 4:50 pm
i think ctf_taurus should have made it as well, but hey, that's life ;D

DeMonIc
July 18, 2005, 8:21 pm
I'm surprised how some maps that seemed sure-ins didn't get in :)
How did you rate the maps? Did you have comitee-matches, or how should I imagine that voting?

rabidhamster
July 18, 2005, 8:30 pm
i figured my maps wouldn't make it (btw, they were ctf_Vulkan, ctf_Asile, and ctf_Hafen). bof.

Roy
July 23, 2005, 4:58 pm
One of my maps is one of the final seven? I am surprised and pleased. It's nice to recieve some indication that I don't suck.

Deleted User
July 23, 2005, 7:15 pm
personally, i like ctf_Ash, but all of the final 7 look pwn.

Keron Cyst
July 23, 2005, 10:46 pm
I hope one of chakapoko maker's maps wins.

grand_diablo
July 23, 2005, 10:56 pm
the custom map ladder will be delayed by 2 weeks cause of technical reasons, news will follow.

MOFO NOFO
July 24, 2005, 3:01 am
OH NOES THE NEW SOLDAT IS BROKEN!

Deleted User
July 24, 2005, 5:28 am
looks like a face-off between chakapoko maker and grand diablo.

Rambo_6
July 24, 2005, 5:45 am
And me too

Deleted User
July 24, 2005, 5:47 am
quote:
# ctf_Ash (chakapoko maker)
# ctf_Lanubya (grand_diablo)
# ctf_marage (Demonic)
# ctf_Maya2 (grand_diablo)
# ctf_Monsoon (Soap)
# ctf_Snakebite (chakapoko maker)
# ctf_Tripetra (Roy)

hmm...? what did you submit?

grand_diablo
July 30, 2005, 4:33 pm
Custom Map ladder: signup finally opened
http://www.esl-europe.net/eu/soldat/ctf/3on3/news/14537/

Roy
August 4, 2005, 12:31 pm
Since 1.3 will apparently be out "in the next few days," what will happen to this contest? Will the new official map be retroactively included with 1.3 after it's been released?

grand_diablo
August 8, 2005, 2:03 am
Nuubia will be included to the normal ladder's mappool. None of the comitee selection maps got official by now.

1.3 has of course to be played in the ESL.