( search forums )
Minor graphical additions / Rambo match
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Alamo
May 24, 2005, 3:09 am
Ok... In the last time, I gathered some ideas which I'd like to share now. You may like or dislike them, in either case, if you post, please give reasons :)
And MM: Please add these to Zuldat!

1. The Type Indicator
Whenever you open the chat, teamchat or console, a little icon should show above the head of your character, so others can see that you're typing. Like this (if they have a little honor left) they can avoid killing you when you type.

IMO, it should look a little bit like this:

[IMAGE]

2. The Inventory Slots
You should have a little graphical overview of your inventory. It does not have to be big or something like that, just two slots with the weapons you carry (or the fists). Way too often I throw a LAW or a Socom into the face of my enemy because I don't know what's in my secondary slot. Maybe also a little indicator for the active item. You could even have numbers to show how many bullets you have left in the clip of the secondary gun.

Again, I prepared a rough sketch of it:

[IMAGE]

3. Rambo Match
I'm a big fan of the Rambo Match. To be honest, I really love it. As I play it as much as possible I often encounter the problem everyone knows: players, who don't accept the 'rules' of not shooting Non-Rambos.
Please enable the people who host servers to set up penalties for them (or not set them up, just as they like). But I just can't stand chasing the Rambo and then getting shot in the back by Soldier(1) because I simply disregarded him. You could maybe give a Health penalty, kill the aggressor after 2-3 kills, or make such kills count negatively.
Naturally, when the bow is abandoned, none of the penalties kicks in, so we still have the action of getting the bow.
Also, there should be a status display with the different statuses of the bow: used by [nick], on ground, at spawn

I hope one or more ideas please you, ... discuss.

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 5:19 pm
Sounds nice, I dunno about the weapon pics though, its a little cluttered as it is, thats the only thing I'm not sure on though. Everything else seems good

DeMonIc
May 24, 2005, 5:20 pm
All of those suggestions are thought out. I love them :) Really, these would rawk.

Mini Man
May 24, 2005, 5:57 pm
All good suggestions :) (Oh and its my birthday :D, So Celebrate!)

damnnation
May 24, 2005, 6:01 pm
i would love to see the 2nd and 3rd in soldat, not to shure of 1 thou

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 6:08 pm
I like these.. the would be a great aprovement.

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 6:29 pm
YES love this.. and happy birthday Mini Man.. you are born the same date as Michal Marcinkowsi did u know?

grand_diablo
May 24, 2005, 7:46 pm
I dont think the inventory things is really necessary, i mean ... 2 weps, everyone should be able to remember which 2 things he is carrying.

But the type indicator would be a nice addon, two thumbs up for them ;)

DT
May 24, 2005, 8:47 pm
i like the chat bubble over your head good for showing if thier talking...
number 2 about the inv slots... nah you can just look what your char wips out
and lastly YES there should be penaltys...

Mini Man
May 24, 2005, 9:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Psycho
you are born the same date as Michal Marcinkowsi did u know?

Really?...*cough* I mean..yea of course i knew that...its because I AM MICHAL! :D

Alamo
May 24, 2005, 10:16 pm
The inventory might not be extremely useful but it can be a help (to ppl like me who don't know what's in their secondary slot). And I don't think that it clutters up the screen... Only depends on how big you make it (I, myself, would even be happy with the numbers 1-0 and ABCD in one corner of the screen). As it should/would be done by adding something to the interfaces, you might even be able to just turn it off. But hey, everything has it's downsides and I understand that you think it's useless.

Yeah right: Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you *sings*

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 10:22 pm
i like the inventory, the first one shouldnt be needed.

sry but i didnt read the rambo one.

Happy Birthday Mini Man!

Captain Ben
May 24, 2005, 10:53 pm
I especially enjoy the text-indicator. Perhaps as well they could be using the walkie-talkie?

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 11:12 pm
I love all of these ideas.

Michal
May 24, 2005, 11:55 pm
I like all the ideas.
It would be great if the typing indicator was made as an image of the interface so that it would be possible to mod it.

Keron Cyst
May 25, 2005, 12:40 am
I love all of them, in order of 1 > 3 > 2.

quote:Originally posted by Alamo
... make [non-Rambo] kills count negatively...
I thought that already happens :-/ As for that, nothing should happen just on the first kill; killing you when you were not Rambo may have been on accident, so it should be repeated kills, and then a penalty kicks in. And it shouldn't apply if no one has the bow ;-)

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 2:18 am
all of them are good...id like them all...i hate throwing socoms...

anyway...yes killing non rambos already counts negatively towards your score...check it out some time

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 11:49 am
good ideas and why not add them

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 11:57 am
Yeh... non-Rambo kills count negatively. I found out the hard way.

And as for the balloon thing: Nice idea, but when you press "Enter", the text should appear in the balloon then IMO.
The inevntory thing: yea, I sometimes fail to change weapons (too much keys pressed), I somehow think I've swapped but in reality I didn't. Happened far too often that I got shot in the face while reloading my LAW instead of killing THEM with my primary. :-\

Mikekuul
May 25, 2005, 2:28 pm
I like both ideas 1 and 2, the weapon indicators would help with switching then throwing knife(I hate throwing my M79 ;; )

SPARTAN_III
May 25, 2005, 3:09 pm
the weapon thing is nice, likey.

Alamo
May 25, 2005, 5:42 pm
Oh, I didn't know the kills count negatively... Good to know that! I might point that out to some noobs :)

KeronCyst: I think that it should be exactly like that... Sounds very good! And yes, the action of getting the bow on the ground, being unarmed for a moment etc. should be preserved, so no penalties for that (but I think I also said that ;).

Captain Ben: Nice idea, I'd love to see a tiny Walkie-Talkie animation. Mabe even instead of the image above the head.

Hugoku: Sounds nice, but it would clutter up the screen badly, when more people say something. Like this, you can see throug the letters a little bit; with balloons showing up, you'd have to much space blocked IMO.

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 6:53 pm
Huh? Ooh, yes. Didn't think o' that. all the n00bs clogging the screen... *cough*dial-uppers*cough*
As for the walkie talkie thing: may be a nice detail, but shouldn't be too long; to compare /piss with it: 'tis is a funny interruption of action, but it just takes too long (though doing it at the ending 5 secs of a match is quite funny x-D).
And besides, I don't always let the typer live.

*pop* Huh? I just got an idea. Radio commands or something. Like you actually hear the Soldat say something. Audio text. Lol we'd need people voice acting then...

Alamo
May 25, 2005, 7:29 pm
Well you could make the animation interruptable.
Maybe like this:
The player presses T,U or /. In this moment, when the player is in the console and can't move anyway, the character pulls out the walkie talkie and does not move anymore (you can't see the mouth anyway) or just moves the head a tiny bit. As soon as you press Enter, the character pushes the walkie talkie back into his pocket and is ready to move.

EspaceeMegadeth
May 25, 2005, 7:46 pm
I really like one which was about typing.I like typing in soldat and i hate dying when i'm dying.Great!.Lol

wacko101
May 26, 2005, 2:34 am
sounds like a good idea...especially the chatting box above your head...it makes it more fun and realistic

Marine
May 26, 2005, 3:36 am
Those all seem like great ideas. The third one is okay, but we defintely need some way to stop these silly people who ruin the game for others.

Unlucky 13
May 26, 2005, 10:51 am
I think the 3 one is a good idea, but maybe, like Keron Cyst (sp?) said, it shouldn't apply to first time offenders. Every consecutive non-Rambo kill after that should subtract one extra point.
So one the 6th non-Rambo kill, it would be -5
But if someone non-Rambo killed thrice, became Rambo, died then killed thrice, it would only be -2.
No. 1 is the most important, I HATE... no LOATHE chat kills, and hate doing them myself.
2 is also good, but not as important as the others, imho.

Alamo
May 26, 2005, 2:05 pm
To drive it a bit further: how about a message that says 'Do not kill non-Rambos! Work together with them (or else)!' on the first kill and maybe also consecutive kills, so the noobs learn something.

Michal
May 26, 2005, 3:31 pm
The kill count definitely needs to go into the negatives because right now most noobs will just keep killing people until they get a few points by being Rambo.

Keron Cyst
May 26, 2005, 8:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13... Keron Cyst (sp?)...
Perfect ;-)

I like Alamo's idea of a walkie talkie being pulled out whenever you talk, but that'd take too long to get back into action when you're putting it away unless the animation was sped up... :-/

Cookie`
May 26, 2005, 9:07 pm
Alamo I like number one and two :P
That way I wont try to stab people with my law rockets >.<

I don't really like number 3 because I kill other people sometimes so Rambo dosn't get them ;)

Keron Cyst
May 27, 2005, 12:02 am
*lol* Then a penalty function should be a server option.

Alamo
May 27, 2005, 11:33 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cyst*loL* Then a penalty function should be a server option.

That's what I wanted to say, actually.

Deleted User
May 28, 2005, 11:17 am
Awesome Ideas. I like them. Specialy that 1st. And that second should be optional :D

Jamesmax0
May 28, 2005, 10:16 pm
I hope these suggestions get in the game

Deleted User
May 30, 2005, 5:26 pm
I really like the 2nd suggestion. And if some people REALLY have a problem with it, just make it optional (as dairy said).

Michal Marcinkowski
June 16, 2005, 11:48 am
1. It's a good idea, but I don't know if I can do it.
2. The inventory is unnecessary, you can see what weapon you have on the back. Things like these are needed in FPS games not Soldat.
3. What if I made that you can't kill people in rambomatch if someone has the bow?

The @venger
June 16, 2005, 12:26 pm
i think the chat indicator should really be more discrete, although visible...

Maxx
June 16, 2005, 2:48 pm
The chat bubble is a great idea, and MM, that would be awesome.
It would make it so noobs would have to work together.
Great idea.

Keron Cyst
June 16, 2005, 3:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowski... What if I made that you can't kill people in rambomatch if someone has the bow?
Yes... yes! I don't see how I didn't think of that xD

Zero72
June 16, 2005, 4:38 pm
Idea 1 is great, either in bubble form or walkie-talkie form. I don't quite think Idea 2 is necessary, but I could learn to live with it.

GluLm
June 16, 2005, 10:49 pm
quote:Michal Marcinkowski wrote:
3. What if I made that you can't kill people in rambomatch if someone has the bow?
Oh no please don't! It's perfect as it is now. Sometimes it's pretty crucial to be able to kill oppoments who are a bit too close of the bower, about to kill him and grab the bow. It's strategically perfect already. No need to change this.
Idea 2) is useless indeed, but the idea 1) is pretty good.
Although I submitted an idea like this months ago about this kind of icon displayed when someone is typing on keyboard. :|
If someday you feel like trying to make it anyway, please don't hesitate. ;)

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 1:08 am
wait why not just put something on like if you shoot a non rambo it doesnt kill them? so then you guys can stop complaining :)