( search forums )
Global /mute
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Aegis
May 28, 2005, 9:35 pm
Something that would be helpful for admins, a sort of global /mute command that disallows a player to chat entirely while in the server.

m00`
May 30, 2005, 7:40 am
no way! it would just suck i mean its no fun if all you do is play without talking :/

Captain Ben
May 30, 2005, 8:04 am
You can kind of see the meaning...
I mean, if someone joins your server and just spams, wouldn't you want them to stop?
Then again, you could just kick them.

Green Barret
May 30, 2005, 9:05 am
Very good point. Nice idea, I absolutely support this. I've had too much unbearable players in my server that just yaps and doesn't play. I could kick them, but I don't think one should kick someone just because he chats too much.

paramud
May 30, 2005, 10:30 am
why not just tell everyone to /mute him?
i mean if someone wants to hear what he says, let em listen.

Jap_man
May 30, 2005, 11:38 am
I guess this is a very usefull idea, if implemented it would be very usefull and result in less kicks from servers etc.
For example:
1) If someone is constantly swearing in a server, rather than the admin kicking the player, he can global /mute them, resulting with the player unable to swear, but still being able to play, a mutual gain.
2) It could be used as some sort of punishment on servers aswell. Maybe some sort of a more lineant punishment, rather than the "kicking" method.

Deleted User
May 30, 2005, 4:58 pm
I think it's a great idea, but what if you have some dumb-a$$ admin who just doesn't like you? Then he could do that, even tho you're not spamming or anything. That example might seem a little far-fetched, but it's just an example.

Raptor
May 30, 2005, 5:07 pm
Chatting = not defending yourself = easy kill
So, I don't like the idea

BManx2000
May 30, 2005, 7:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by SZLokiI think it's a great idea, but what if you have some dumb-a$$ admin who just doesn't like you?
Then he could just kick you anyway...

Deleted User
May 30, 2005, 10:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by BManx2000
Then he could just kick you anyway...

Yeah, I see what you mean. But if the Global mute is constant, and the admin isn't there, you will be muted. He won't be there to kick you, though he muted you before. Unless the Global mute gets turned off for each player whenever they leave/re-enter the server. Get my drift?

Deleted User
May 30, 2005, 10:15 pm
Horrible idea! Servers without any talking are the most boring servers in existence. If I join a server and no one says anything in three minutes I leave. It's no fun without talking.

Also, what about being able to tell your teammates stuff like "Enemy Fagger Floating High!" You can't take that out of the game.

Edit:I see I misunderstood your post Aegis, when you said "Global" I thought you meant disabling chatting entirely. Oh well, some of my post still makes a point Xp

Aegis
May 31, 2005, 2:37 am
There will always be an issue with abusive admins. Thats never a reason not to add something unless its completely overkill (/nukekilleverythingeveryonehahahha)
If you have trouble with an admin I suggest you contact the server owner. The main reason for this command would be to silence one disruptive/annoying player that is ruining the game for everyone else.
You can tell everyone to use the /mute command but do you really want to have to repeat yourself everytime this happens? And telling someone to do something wont make them do it either so the chance is the /mute command wont get used. As a server owner/admin myself I would really appreciate this command as it would be extremely useful in my server.

Kicking? They just come back, and spamming excessively is no reason to deny play by means of a ban.

Marine
May 31, 2005, 3:44 am
Do you mean so that an Admin can squelch just one bug or everyone?

The ability for the admin, (or maybe a majority vote?) to allow the server to keep a certain player's messages from showing up is an excellent idea.

No chat servers would be okay, but I don't think many would join them. I play online because I like the social aspect (in addition to greater challenge) or Soldat.

Jamesmax0
May 31, 2005, 2:18 pm
I'd have to agree. this new command might be a bit useless. But i guess it depends on the situation

AWH_ReApEr
June 1, 2005, 12:51 am
I fully support the idea.

paramud
June 1, 2005, 1:24 am
i dont agree, what if someone wants to hear what you have to say?
why not just let people /mute if they want?!?!

Aegis
June 1, 2005, 5:04 am
Marine: This is to squelch a specific player from chatting.

It is useful to combat people who are using racist and highly offensive language or spamming excessively.

I dont see why anyone would want to see these types of chat-abuse, but if you do you're always welcome to leave that moderated server in favor of another. Theres no way this is can affect other player's play to the negative, it only serves to keep the disruptive from ruining everyone else's experience.

paramud
June 1, 2005, 5:56 am
Aegis, What if the chatty player doesnt leave.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
June 1, 2005, 6:30 am
Why cant the admin just /mute the person that is being an asshole?

Deleted User
June 1, 2005, 2:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by Jamesmax0I'd have to agree. this new command might be a bit useless. But i guess it depends on the situation

I agree with this...

Da cHeeSeMaN
June 1, 2005, 3:43 pm
no i hate it when i can't say anything

Spectral
June 1, 2005, 9:09 pm
This is a nice simple idea that I wouldn't mind at all seeing in Soldat. When there are many people being annoying whiners, etc, in a server, it would be much easier for an admin just to mute all

Aegis
June 1, 2005, 11:06 pm
Paramud: If he doesn't leave and he's been muted globally by the admin, he'll remain unable to talk until the mute is removed or he does leave.

MikeShinoda: If the offensive player is breaking my server rules, I feel a need to properly show authority and punish the offender, this is not an issue of -me- being offended. I'm stepping in for the other players of my server to have a fun, good experience.

Im just trying to add another level for admins to use. Sometimes a kick or a ban is too much for a situation, but you cant just let something slide.

paramud
June 2, 2005, 2:52 am
Aegis, what if you want to listen in?