Dedicated Server 2.2.9
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
Michal Marcinkowski
May 29, 2005, 7:27 pm
Available here : [URL]

Notes on version 2.2.9:
- added config file with lots of usefull options, see "server.ini"
- fixed beginning of log files
- changed weapons mod client info to default damage/new damage percentage instead of values

I haven't tested the new options nearly at all so if there is any strange behaviour please report it quickly.

This is the new "server.ini" file, in the comments I explain a little:
[code]
//additional server settings for advanced users
[NETWORK]
//if you get a crash when too many people try to download a map try changing this value to something greater than 0
MaxConnections=0
//this is the amount of packets the server can get from a client until it stops processing them, so it doesn't get flooded
TooMuch_Packets_LAN = 40
TooMuch_Packets_Internet = 31
//this is the amount of packets the server can get until the client will get flood warnings
Flooding_Packets_LAN = 54
Flooding_Packets_Internet = 34
//this is the amount of times a cheat can be detected from a player until he is kicked or server voted
Vote_Cheat_Warnings = 8
//this is the amount of times a knife cheat can be detected
Max_KnifeCheat_Warnings = 14
//here, if set to 1 the anticheat system doesn't kick or vote people
Disable_AntiCheat_Kick = 0
//time in seconds when the log files are updated (default: every 3600 secs).
LogFilesUpdate = 3600
//after this amount of flood/ping warnings the player is kicked
Max_Flood_Warnings = 4
Max_Ping_Warnings = 10
// these can be handy to deal with lag and improve network performance
// set your connection in Soldat.ini to T1 (Internet_Connection=3)
// now you can change the packet sending rate
// Soldat uses ticks for measuring time, 60 ticks = 1 second
// so here for example a minor snapshot is sent every 40 ticks
// a ping packet is sent every 21 ticks, get the idea?
T1_Snapshot = 40
T1_MajorSnapshot = 20
T1_DeadSnapshot = 50
T1_Heartbeat = 139
T1_Delta = 8
T1_Ping = 21
T1_ThingSnapshot = 29
//additional greeting messages
Greeting_Message2=Welcome to Soldat
Greeting_Message3=running Dedicated Server version 2.2.9
[/code]

If you want to know more about these settings please ask. I hope you make use of it and maybe find better default options that everyone can use?

Denacke
May 29, 2005, 7:31 pm
:O Looks intresting!

Time to tweak around with those settings and see what it gives :)

Yukwunhang
May 29, 2005, 7:32 pm
I'll try it out.

Drama
May 29, 2005, 9:14 pm
nice to see some process, gotta love the possibilities of customizing (lol wondered while for words like cusmoabilzites etc..)

FliesLikeABrick
May 29, 2005, 9:45 pm
alright, upgraded the 3 U13 servers. I will definately report here if i find anything

Deleted User
May 30, 2005, 7:15 am
quote:Connection for file server started. Port: 0
^^ Not a good thing >_>

EDIT: I changed MaxConnections to 2 and now it says Port: 2

lololol?

Michal Marcinkowski
May 30, 2005, 3:20 pm
Oh sorry for that, it's just what it says, it doesn't change the port.
Does MaxConnections fix the map download crash problem on Windows machines?

Deleted User
June 1, 2005, 1:18 pm
The stuff you have in 'server.ini' cant be set individually per soldat.ini, meaning multiple servers on the same install work off the same settings in server.ini which is silly.

Why did you create a new config file, instead of merging these options into soldat.ini, where multiple configurations are already supported?

Michal Marcinkowski
June 1, 2005, 3:07 pm
Those aren't gameplay settings, those are settings that depend on the machine so they should be the same for every server on the machine. Maybe except Greeting_Message but it will change. I didn't merge it in soldat.ini so it is compatible with the game file.

Cold Fusion
June 1, 2005, 3:18 pm
When you do your next minor update, I've got a couple of small requests.

Firstly, if it would be possible to have the weapon stats come before the greeting message(s). This is because otherwise you never get to see the greeting messages unless you press /, because they scroll off the screen. Reversing the order so the greeting messages come last would be much better.

Also, - changed weapons mod client info to default damage/new damage percentage instead of values.

If you could make that an option, because I feel it is better to have the actual damage values themselves because the percentages are not very accurate, and any small changes can have a large impact on gameplay, and not show up on the server message. So values > %ages.

Thanks.

hock3y
June 4, 2005, 1:29 am
Michal I will start using this server tomorrow and play around with the max connections thing to see if I still get crashes.

Anyone have any good settings for all that other stuff yet?

Colin_00
June 5, 2005, 1:07 pm
i am newb to server stuff, and i am testing this server on lan, but i was wondering if i could turn off lobby reigistering. Because my LAN test server is not connected to the internet, and I get a huge pause when the server tries to register in lobby.

|n|8|v| Test Lan server:
AMD K6-2 500MHz, Windows 2000 Pro, 1GB of memory

soldatServer.exe runs great with exception of it trying to register to lobby, and i have all my ini's in soldat folder configured how i want them but it still tries to register when soldat.ini has lobby_register=0, but when I run Soldatserve.exe, it still tries to register about every 20secs, which is the undesired action(cause i do not have my server connected to the internet)

b00stA
June 5, 2005, 6:33 pm
Colin, Michal replied to your problem in this topic: http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=24166

Colin_00
June 5, 2005, 8:41 pm
yes, i know that, i was looking for where to ask this question, and it is resolved now. thanks alot!

Edit, playing with server settings:

//additional server settings for advanced users
[NETWORK]
//if you get a crash when too many people try to download a map try changing this value to something greater than 0
MaxConnections=4
//this is the amount of packets the server can get from a client until it stops processing them, so it doesn't get flooded
TooMuch_Packets_LAN = 0
TooMuch_Packets_Internet = 0
//this is the amount of packets the server can get until the client will get flood warnings
Flooding_Packets_LAN = 54
Flooding_Packets_Internet = 34
//this is the amount of times a cheat can be detected from a player until he is kicked or server voted
Vote_Cheat_Warnings = 8
//this is the amount of times a knife cheat can be detected
Max_KnifeCheat_Warnings = 14
//here, if set to 1 the anticheat system doesn't kick or vote people
Disable_AntiCheat_Kick = 0
//time in seconds when the log files are updated (default: every 3600 secs).
LogFilesUpdate = 3600
//after this amount of flood/ping warnings the player is kicked
Max_Flood_Warnings = 4
Max_Ping_Warnings = 10
// these can be handy to deal with lag and improve network performance
T1_Snapshot = 1
T1_MajorSnapshot = 1
T1_DeadSnapshot = 1
T1_Heartbeat = 1
T1_Delta = 1
T1_Ping = 1
T1_ThingSnapshot = 1
//additional greeting messages
Greeting_Message2=This is the n8v Test LAN SERVER
Greeting_Message3=running latency tests

This is s server setting i have tried on LAn with the most interesting of effects from beta server "2.9.9". i was unable to destroy myself with m79 fire, nades, and enemy fire. i dunno what i have done, but i was playing around with this setting to do some pretty interesting effects, which included what said earlier(inablility to die), and infinite granades. this bug might be from my network settings, or the server ini setting, but i found it quite amusing, and so did my best sodlat buddy |n|8|v| Coey.

i have a demo of the bug in action, but i dunno how to post files, so i'll just give a link for download from one of my first webpages

=*link removed*=

save this to soldat demo folder, and play with DDplayer

this is not a hack, is a server bug, i dunno how/or whyit happened, it was the end result of first test settings

i am ahab
June 6, 2005, 1:49 pm
cheers mikey m!
nice to know that i can fiddle with the update logs times. this helps matters for something im working on.
thanks for actually thinking about potential uses of everything as you go along and for putting the time in to see it through.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 6, 2005, 2:59 pm
Colin_00: You set TooMuch_Packets_LAN = 0 and TooMuch_Packets_Internet = 0, that means that the server doesn't process any packets at all. If you're playing on a LAN set it to something high like 100.

hock3y
June 6, 2005, 10:00 pm
quote:// these can be handy to deal with lag and improve network performance
T1_Snapshot = 1
T1_MajorSnapshot = 1
T1_DeadSnapshot = 1
T1_Heartbeat = 1
T1_Delta = 1
T1_Ping = 1
T1_ThingSnapshot = 1

Also you have set these to send every 1 tick, so that means that these will be sending 60 times every second, which will probably cause massive lag I'm assuming...

FliesLikeABrick
June 7, 2005, 4:16 am
my servers, all on windows 2000 professional, will just randomly close. I don't know if the INF server does it, but there is a difference between the inf and my two CTF servers:

the two CTF servers run soldatadmin on the same computer while the server is up, and whenever the server closes, the admin closes as well, at the exact same instant. The inf server has yet to randomly disappear I think, but I'll let you know as time goes on (I havent been running the INF server very much)

Any ponderances?

edit: yes, the inf server (without soldatadmin running on that comp) also just spontaneously closes without a trace.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 7, 2005, 1:45 pm
Any errors in the logs? It happens with this version only? Maybe someones hacking?

What if you disable the admin, by setting "Admin_Password="?

n00bface
June 7, 2005, 6:42 pm
Michal, I'm not sure if you've seen this topic since there was no reply, so in-case you haven't -> heere it is. Seems like the server can't load bots anymore.

Colin_00
June 9, 2005, 6:42 am
there seems to be a server hiccup now, i have noticed it alot on most new servers(version 2.9.9). when you drop a weapon, it seems like it lags/hiccups when falling, and takes longer than usual. and nades seem to delay more, and so do knives. i noticed it on servers of just about all connections. even on my network. i was wondering about why the guns fall at a delayed rate.

second notice, i have almost got good settings working for LAN, and Cable...still working on it.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 9, 2005, 1:49 pm
The lags could be your connections fault, I didn't change anything to the network code, unless it's some kind of bug.
If you have good settings post them so we can give it a try.

KeFear
June 9, 2005, 3:19 pm
I don't know where to post this, or if it has been discussed, but i keep geting this message: restart cipher 1
What does this mean?

Deleted User
June 9, 2005, 11:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by KeFearI don't know where to post this, or if it has been discussed, but i keep geting this message: restart cipher 1
What does this mean?

It means a spectator joined the game...

Michal Marcinkowski
June 10, 2005, 4:13 pm
>>It means a spectator joined the game...

?? You know more than me:). Does it always say this when a spectator joins?

KeYDoN
June 10, 2005, 6:31 pm
look at my serverlog, hes right.
[URL]

BaronRobert
June 13, 2005, 10:28 pm
Hi all,
I start a soldat server 2.2.9 on Windows 2003 tonight... But I experience a problem. when I add a any line (like those you speak about in server.ini) the server console said:
>>The server must be started with an Admin Password parameter to run Admin
>> edit SOLDAT.INI section [Network] Admin_Password=
I'm sure that I set a paswword in soldat.ini...

For info, i just add this lines to soldat.ini:
T1_Snapshot=40
T1_MajorSnapshot=20
T1_DeadSnapshot=50
T1_Heartbeat=139
T1_Delta=8
T1_Ping=21
T1_ThingSnapshot=29
if I erase it, soldat server works... any idea?

KeYDoN
June 14, 2005, 12:23 pm
wyh the hell you added thes lines oO

KeFear
June 14, 2005, 12:40 pm
BaronRobert you shouldn't ad those lines to soldat.ini
They are in server.ini and you should change their value in that file.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 14, 2005, 2:56 pm
BaronRobert: Maybe your soldat.ini is corrupted, download the default file again.

For Windows servers users:
I think you MUST set MaxConnection=some_value_over_zero in 'soldat.ini' if you don't want to have crashes on map downloads. I tested it with 0 and it crashes even if one player downloads lots of sceneries.

FliesLikeABrick
June 14, 2005, 4:26 pm
i posted in one of these threads about how soldatserver.exe and soldatadmin.exe randomly close at the same instant (when both running on the same computer). I found that this happened when someone downloaded the map, but it wouldnt always crash. I will look into it more

BaronRobert
June 14, 2005, 6:58 pm
Thanks for your help,
I solve this problem in editing soldat.ini and removing these line.

I have this encounter this issue because in server.ini, you have these lines
>>//additional server settings for advanced users
>>[NETWORK]
and i tought I have to modify/add new parameter in soldat.ini... I hope that a comment in this file will be fine: "don't add this lines in soldat.ini" :)

Deleted User
June 15, 2005, 9:11 am
@"?? You know more than me:). Does it always say this when a spectator joins?"
Im fairly sure it says this message every time a spectator joins.. and no one knows more than you :P

@FliesLikeABrick
I think that is caused by a conflict between the winsock2 API and the Indy TCP/UDP Socket controls, try downloading the Indy 10 package (If you have Delphi) and recompile the admin source code; it might help, but it might not...

@KeydoN
Sounds like a corrupt Win32 socket DLL... Try redownloading 'WSOCK32.DLL' (it goes in your C:/WINDOWS/System32/ folder)

Hope I helped :P

influx
June 20, 2005, 11:16 am
Do I extract the contents of soldatserver229.zip into the Soldat folder.. or should I create a sub folder in soldat's folder named Dedicated Server 2-2-9 and extract it there?

Deleted User
June 20, 2005, 3:18 pm
You can extract it anywhere you you please. By the time you typed that message you could have figured it out yourself....

influx
June 20, 2005, 4:09 pm
Well I was afraid that if I extracted it into the Soldat folder it would interfere with other files some way and if I extracted into a different directory that it would not work properly so I needed confirmation, thanks.

KeFear
June 20, 2005, 5:45 pm
well yes, if you extract the server to your soldat folder, then the server and your Soldat will use the same soldat.ini, which can cause problems.

influx
June 21, 2005, 12:35 pm
Got it to work, it works great but I was wondering if you could add a feature to auto-kick people's name (so that if some people can't ban them without banning the rest). On the downloads page it says the SSBot can do auto-kick but I could not find that option anywhere + I don't wish to use IRC with it on this PC so it won't let me edit options.

Also can the SoldatAdmin tool have the previous dedicated servers' options such as:

- Players: 0/16
- Average Ping
- Receive: 0 B/S
- Send: 0 B/S

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 2:53 pm
RTFM! Read the dang readme in SSBot... or type !addnameban SOLDIER in SSBot's channel _OR_ add the name to names.txt... sheesh nublet

psylence
July 6, 2005, 10:09 am
I use the dedicated server on win2k, i am having the problem when people try to download maps it crashes says "soldatserver.exe has caused errors and must be closed blablabla". I have tried changing the vaule in server.ini making the maxconnections 10 but this still doesn't fix the problem. Is there anything i should do to the soldat.ini itself? Anyway to avoid it crashing? I want to have some extra maps other than the standard ones

BaronRobert
July 8, 2005, 7:59 pm
its a message for Michal...

hi,
i resolve a problem with connection too my server, butt i don't uderstand a parameter of the server.ini file
what do you mean with "MaxConnections=xx"?
I just try to connect with one client on a non official map, and i must set the value of this parameters above 10 defore the client can access the server.
Now i think this param. doesnt set the max number of person that can connect & download file simultaneously, but what the real effect of this setting?
I hope that you understand my question :p
thx

Deleted User
August 2, 2005, 3:31 pm
Can someone tell me how i could get the server to lobby? i have put to lobby_servers lobby.soldat.pl and selfkill.com it only shows on www.soldat.pl then to servers and on ASE so how can i get it to soldat lobby? thx.

Deleted User
August 2, 2005, 3:37 pm
I have waited too long can anyone answer me??

Deleted User
August 5, 2005, 8:01 am
i have now wait 2 days...