( search forums )
Recurring disconnects
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Maluno
May 31, 2005, 9:58 pm
I used the search button first, but could not find anything similar to my problem. Ok, here goes-- When I connect to any soldat server, the game runs as normal, but after about a minute or two, I see a message in the chat "Maluno has been disconnected," and a second later I am disconnected and brought to the server list. This always happens, no matter which server I happen to be playing on.

I guess it is also a good time to mention that I cannot ever connect to the lobby server from in-game. I try to connect and download the server list and it just comes up with the normal error message, lobby server not found... blah blah... I have been forced to use the online web-interface for the server list, which is a pain, because it does not list servers by ping.

These problems have been going on ever since I installed soldat (complete format and clean windows install). Any suggestions are appreciated.

Deleted User
June 1, 2005, 3:31 am
do you have dial-up? if so after disconnecting go to options, select LAN game, wait about 2 min. Change it back to internet then listen... if u hear your comp re-establishing a connection wait for it to finish. it should then let you do w/e u want. if u dont have dial-up then ignore this

Maluno
June 1, 2005, 11:17 pm
Nope I don't have dialup. And I turned my firewall off too but same results.

I have now uninstalled and started over multiple times, and have redownloaded the file and installed that fresh, but still no luck. Does anyone know of any conflicts that may be causing this problem?

EDIT: *BUMP* I am desperate please post any ideas.

Maluno
June 7, 2005, 5:57 pm
Hmmm... Editing doesn't bump the post to top anymore?

i am ahab
June 8, 2005, 4:15 pm
right well sir,
as for the lobby not working.
open your lobbyserver.txt
as there are now 2 servers you can use.
lobby etc etc which is the normal one. and on the line underneath add

selfkill.com

then close and save. thats all you can do there. if your firewall is off ... strange to ask but is xp firewall on?

what sort of net connection do you have (and which provider and modem)? and do you play any other games online? if so which ones and do you suffer any other sort of similar problems? if not are there any you can test?

and what are your machine specs? do you have any problems playing in single player mode?

essesntially without wanting to sound funny, soldat does work. usually. can you use another pc to test your connection?

Maluno
June 10, 2005, 10:12 pm
I already have that selfkill server added. I guess I should have mentioned earlier that I had been an active player for over a year before I recently reformatted my windows partition on my HDD.

Windows Firewall is off [I wouldn't trust that thing for beans anyway ;)], and I turned Zone Alarm [my current firewall], off, as well as norton virus/internet worm protection, but same results. Comp specs are not very important, as the pc worked with this game before, but what the heck?

I'm running:
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.2Ghz
256 Generic pc133 ram (240 in actuality, as i have 16Mb shared mem for IG)
Prosavage s3 IG (yes, I know the problems with these card's drivers, but I modded the gfx so that it looks normal. If anyone needs a copy of my weapons/interface graphics that fix the s3 glitch, I can host them).
Quantum fireball 60Gb HDD 5400 rpm
Generic PSU
Prototype MSI mobo, though it's not as exciting as it sounds. In fact it is quite lame, as it inhibits any overclocking urges I get with a really crippled bios.
Diamondtron VX720 17" CRT
Generic Floppy
Generic Cdrom
Generic CdRW

Anything else you want to know? :P Sorry, I get a little out of hand, I'm used to Computer Hardware forums. It's definately not the most up to date rig, but it is fine for wordprocessing/internet/soldat. :)

Single player mode is fine, I get ~45-50fps if I bump dedicated video memory up to 32mb, otherwise it hangs around 40fps. My ip remains relatively constant, even if I disconnect my modem for a while, then connect again. Speaking of which, I have relatively slow DSL: ~312/56 actual bandwidth.

Oh yeah, and I'm running Windows XP Corp with SP2 (shhh!!!). Also have FC3 linux running on a second partition that I was running almost entirely for a few months before I got homesick for some soldat. Wine-ing Soldat did work in linux btw, but my video card couldnt handle the opengl api. I literally got like 1 frame every two seconds, lol. :P

damentz
June 12, 2005, 2:24 am
Whats ur nic card? You could try reinstalling its drivers or messing with its settings. Your upload speed also could be giving you large amounts in lag, thus the server boots you. Make sure your internet settings for soldat are set to 56k.

i am ahab
June 14, 2005, 11:39 am
sorry dude i forgot i was talking to you here.
iiiinteresting. hmm ok step 1 on a command line try pinging selfkill.com
just by typing ping selfkill.com
and then the lobby server as it is written in the lobby server.txt file.
both with your firewall up and if that fails then with it down.
then get back to this thread - if your pc can get to the servers and soldat cant then thats probably where the problem is.
the dual boot thing wont fiddle with it at all man. and i empathise with wine needing more resources than a fat man at a pie fest. i had fedora running on a 1 MHz amd and the xgui lagged like anything.
another thing, do any other games you have work online?
im thinking maybe your provider may have shoddy lines and thus too many dropped packets will bottle you out of an online game...
yr pc seems coolies...

Maluno
June 14, 2005, 6:14 pm
I am able to ping both of the lobby servers with my firewall up, and I don't believe that it is my ISP's fault, as my service hasn't changed from when soldat was working, a few months ago. I'm going to test another online game now. BTW, are there any utilities available online to test your connection's reliability/packet loss?

b00stA
June 14, 2005, 8:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by MalunoBTW, are there any utilities available online to test your connection's reliability/packet loss?

Here's a topic about improving your connection:
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=10849

Maluno
June 15, 2005, 4:23 pm
I've tried some other games, and they work fine online.

Maluno
June 20, 2005, 11:35 pm
I have now tried a few (old) fps games in multiplayer, and they work excellent too.

GoldAnt_Number1
August 22, 2005, 10:18 pm
Im having the same problem as Maluno, what in the world, this never happened before... we just switched to a new ISP so I am guessing that is the issue, but it works great with other games! *is confused*. I can spectate for infinity, but as soon as I start playing, after a minute or two it says "____ has been disconnected." and im gone. What gives?

Maluno
August 24, 2005, 9:22 pm
Yes, please help, I hardly play soldat at all anymore because it is a pain to keep reconnecting to servers. Single player mode works fine.

I would like to add, though, that I observed that I am disconnected _50_ seconds into the game each time. The lobby server list still doesn't show up for me in game, either.

I used to be a heavy soldat addict for about two years, yet this problem is very frustrating please help me pick up the old habit again! :D

Maluno
August 27, 2005, 4:10 pm
Gold Ant, who is your ISP, and where do you live? I have Frontiernet DSL, and live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Its a long shot, but maybe we have the same service provider. I'm thinking about contacting their tech support.

EDIT: I am now positive it is due to my ISP, because I tried using the game on my grandparents' computer, because they live close to me and use the same ISP. I experienced the same problems and was not able to play online for more than 50 seconds.

Denacke
August 27, 2005, 6:01 pm
I used to have these problems too. Often when two computers in my network played in the same game.

Something that improved it temporarily; Closing as many programs connected to the internet.

After a new modem & router my problems were fixed though. I had the same effects in other games, where it seemed the upload just did not work like it should.

Maluno
August 28, 2005, 7:33 pm
Denacke: What was the router and modem that was giving you trouble? And who was/is your ISP at the time/currently? I am able to play the game online normally for 50 seconds before being disconnected.

Shiv
August 28, 2005, 10:50 pm
I seem to be having the same problem, but it didn't start happening until I registered Soldat as far as I can tell. I've been testing, trying to figure out what's causing it but I can't seem to identify the source of the problem.

Denacke
August 29, 2005, 6:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by MalunoDenacke: What was the router and modem that was giving you trouble? And who was/is your ISP at the time/currently? I am able to play the game online normally for 50 seconds before being disconnected.

I am unsure about the router/modems details. I can tell you that it was a modem & router in one.

I had the same problem with two ISP's. Belgian Scarlet & Skynet.

A tip: update your routers & modems firmware.