( search forums )
Need help with installing window 2000
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
N1nj@
June 3, 2005, 3:36 am
I used to have windows ME and I put the windows 2000 cd in and I choose upgrade, but then after upgrading, I got many errors. So I thought I put the windows 2000 cd in again thinking that it would format my drive at the same time and choose clean install, and it converted the file system to NTFS. Apparently, it installed on my D: drive. So now I have 2 of the same windows on my C: and D:.

And I wanted to format my 2 drives now and do a new install, but I have no idea how. I tried using my Windows ME Start up disk, but it didnt work. And I also tried using the windows 2000 setup disk, it's not the same thing, it ask me to find autofmt.exe or something like that.

Help please?

Deleted User
June 3, 2005, 3:52 am
If my understanding is correct, you now have two NTFS drives, C: and D:, with Windows 2000 installed?

I'm guessing your Windows 2000 CD is damaged or some such as its giving you error messages of a missing file. Usually Windows setup creates a RAMDrive that you can use to try and locate the file. Otherwise, search the CD for it. If that's the case, then you can try to reformat your drives using the NTFS file system with the Windows 2000 CD, -or-

Set your BIOS to boot from Floppy Disk only, and boot with a Minimal Boot on your Windows ME Emergency Boot disk. Then, fdisk both drives and wipe all partitions, re-create them, restart, and reformat using the EBD.

Hope this helps. Dunno why you upgraded.

Cookie`
June 3, 2005, 3:54 am
Ninj@ it may be because you downloaded it? ;0

Listen to lapis too ;)

Unlucky 13
June 3, 2005, 8:49 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_Lazuli Dunno why you upgraded.

Because he wanted to keep his stuff first, but he couldn't after, I guess.
Lapis is right, though, use an emergency boot disk and fdisk both drives.
That is if you HAVE an emergeny diskette...

N1nj@
June 3, 2005, 1:08 pm
okay I figure everything out, and it's working right now.

But I still have a few problems: some of my cds doesnt autorun anymore when I insert them in the cd-rom and it keep detecing the wrong mouse/keyboard :S

thanks btw

b00stA
June 3, 2005, 3:23 pm
N1nj@, before going online with your new system (I hope you haven't already), install a firewall (unless you're using a router or something like that) and install major fixes like the Blaster worm fix.
Otherwise after being online for 2 minutes you're already infected.

Deleted User
June 3, 2005, 7:16 pm
why would you install win 2000? even LINUX is better..

Denacke
June 3, 2005, 7:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by HHHwhy would you install win 2000? even LINUX is better..

That all depends on what you do with it, I imagine that for ninj@ it is much more intresting to have windows 2000 than linux. Mainly for the comptability of games (sure you can port them, but that mostly happens with errors.., most games don't support linux clients either ;) )

Yet for server issues or when you are only intrested in playing games that are compatible with linux (quake, doom, ...). Or even if you are intrested in just working and programming, you could of course go for linux and it would be even better than XP ;).

N1nj@
June 3, 2005, 9:01 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stAN1nj@, before going online with your new system (I hope you haven't already), install a firewall (unless you're using a router or something like that) and install major fixes like the Blaster worm fix.
Otherwise after being online for 2 minutes you're already infected.
I think I am infected then :S how can I know? or how can I remove?

and I was wondering when the icons in my system tray looks so ugly, it looks like they are like 256 colours :S

and also is there any neat thing i could do to make window 2000 better ?

Deleted User
June 3, 2005, 9:59 pm
www.litepc.com has a Windows 2000Lite trial-version that can help you customize many aspects of W2k.

You may also try googling X-Setup Pro and getting an earlier version (the recent ones are now purchase-only) and maybe give TweakUI a try.

SuperKill
June 3, 2005, 10:43 pm
that's what you get for stealing a certin someone's avatar into your msn pic.
naw jk, hey man.. windows 2000 is serious crap.

N1nj@
June 4, 2005, 1:54 am
i am still trying to figure out why my system tray looks so ugly

here's the pic: [IMAGE]

SPARTAN_III
June 4, 2005, 3:12 am
isnt this what XP was invented for?

N1nj@
June 4, 2005, 3:14 am
yes, but my computer couldn't handle XP, it would lag, that's why i am using w2k

Deleted User
June 4, 2005, 5:08 am
Ninja, mine looks the same way with Windows ME. I'm guessing your system tray is forever stuck that way.

At least it uses less system resources, I suppose.

N1nj@
June 4, 2005, 1:43 pm
Well, I was looking around on google, and some poeple were saying how it is using 256 colors, and you can change it to True colour by hacking the explorer.exe

but I can't find any procedure...

btw, mine isn't like that with win ME

I am hoping b000stA would know? hopefully he will drop by here...

thx lapis

Deleted User
June 4, 2005, 3:35 pm
There's a registry setting you can try, but it only works for Windows 95-ME as far as I know. I don't think it would work for Windows 2k.

All the screenshots I've seen of W2k sport the basic 256-color system tray, and a half an hour of google searching found nothing.

However, if it -is- an option that you can change, then I highly recommend X-Setup. http://www.majorgeeks.com/X-Setup_d127.html

BManx2000
June 4, 2005, 3:56 pm
Why do you care so much? The icons are like, this big *squinches fingers together*

N1nj@
June 4, 2005, 4:07 pm
thanks alot Lapis for spending ur time searching for me. I will try that out. But I am still hoping b00stA would have an answer since I think he uses w2k as well

N1nj@
June 4, 2005, 10:51 pm
x-setup doesn't have it. Hmmm...you mind hooking me up with that registry setting and see if it works? thx btw

and sry for double posting

Deleted User
June 5, 2005, 2:08 am
lol i still have windows ME, but my computer is (Please refrain from swearing)ing slow.

N1nj@
June 5, 2005, 3:04 am
I found a website for it with an autopatch, Lapis. Thanks alot. The site is http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/ if u wanted to know.

But for some reason my msn icon is still in ugly colour, the rest of my tray icons are found now. I am gonna try reinstall msn to see if it helps. Or is there any refresh icon cache?

Deleted User
June 5, 2005, 7:04 am
X-Setup has a clear icon cache function, perhaps that'd help?

Awesome job finding the patch by the way.

Unlucky 13
June 5, 2005, 8:21 am
quote:Originally posted by HHHwhy would you install win 2000? even LINUX is better..

Your talking Win ME over 2000...
ME had its problems, too, remember?
I'd take 2000 myself.

b00stA
June 5, 2005, 10:05 am
I didn't know about a fix for the colors in the system tray, but that's just because I didn't care :)

To all those people saying that Win2k is worse than XP or anything like that: You have no clue. Try to prove me wrong :|

N1nj@, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (using Internet Explorer) and install the important stuff (security updates). Then start using any other browser besides IE to avoid ad/spyware.
Install a decent firewall (Kerio Personal Firewall for example) and run a virus scanner (AntiVir PE).
Use Thunderbird instead of Outlook.
Now you're pretty much safe :)

Ah, if "svchost.exe" has crashed, then you have something like the blaster worm already. But it's not that bad on Windows 2000, because it won't reboot automatically like XP.

N1nj@
June 5, 2005, 2:25 pm
thanks alot b00stA. I had done most of that in the first place already. Personally I don't use outlook/thunderbird. And I think I am safe from blaster worm. I am gonna install the firewall just in case.

But I was wondering is there anything I can "play" around with win2k to make it looks/works better?

b00stA
June 5, 2005, 6:43 pm
You could try WindowBlinds which just skins the windows (similiar to StyleXP) or you could go for a different shell, but I don't know enough about that.

If you're multi-tasking a lot, try something like AltDesk. It lets you manage several "virtual" desktops. Do your homework in one and create a Soldat movie in another :]
Another neat tool is Netlimiter: it let's you check AND control which app is down/uploading how much data.
Otherwise there's not much you'd have to add to your Win2k system.
As Lapis mentioned, get TweakUI. You can tweak/change some settings that MS hasn't officially included.

N1nj@
June 5, 2005, 7:30 pm
About the WindowBlinds program, I was going thru their skins, all the screenshots were winXP, will it look liek that in win2k?

nvm, I found out myself. Any good skin you can recommend me? I like black/dark skin.

And can I use StyleXP skin and convert that into windowblind?

and thanks again b00stA and Lapis.

b00stA
June 6, 2005, 5:31 pm
Any good skin you can recommend me? I like black/dark skin.
I'm not using WindowBlinds myself. Maybe check www.deviantart.com for skins.

And can I use StyleXP skin and convert that into windowblind?
I don't think so :(
You could still look around for alternative shells though.