( search forums )
1.1.5 vs 1.2.1
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Ok
June 4, 2005, 11:30 am
1.1.5 was a very good version when I look at it now.
Only problem was Barret, but it had its downs, after a while I got over those, I came to realize that Barret is NOT a team play weapon.
Which means that you can overcome 3 barretards with good team work.

So basicly I had alot fo fun, I remember having lags sometimes because back then a good ping for me was 133-150.
Sometimes I played with 250.
Today I get to play with 90-100 which is good enough.

Now besides the usual things I whine about (spray, lameass community) I have another thing that bothers me.

I rememeber the lag I had to deal with back then, it was a matter of getting used to shotting over the image becase of lag.

Today in 1.2.1 its not a matter of getting used to anything anymore.
Invicible nades, bad polygons, hits that don't register, m79 shots that push the enemie but won't even injrue him!

The most annoying thing is when you shoot an enemei flagger with m79 while he is in the air, the shot hits him, he blasts away from you because of the m79 blast, but he doesn die.

Or when you play and for some reason you blast the enemie with 4 nades from above him, he loses a little health then shots 1 nade up into you and you die instintly.

Stuff like that makes me miss 1.1.5, ALOT!
The lag of today is not managbly but anything, all you can do is cross your fingers and hope for the best, hope for a better day where you won't step on any invicble nades, won't get hit by random spraying.
It seems to me it became more of a luck game with a little help from ping and lag.
The skill you need to play in the high levels of the community is gained after 2-3 days of playing :\ the rest is pure luck and lag

SuperKill
June 4, 2005, 12:05 pm
1.1.4 was even better ;o
--- IMO:
**1.0.4 + 1.0.5 = was great, main reason was being a newbie at that time. the most fun stuff happens when you're a newb.
**1.1.0 to 1.1.2 = abit diffrent feeling cause of all the gfx and the slight physic changes, plus fully bugged versions from what i remember.
**1.1.3 = totally KICKASS version! the lack of anti-lag system really made it more challenging for m79 users like me at the time.
**1.1.4 = ultimate fun, cause now when i wanna kill my enemies i have to aim at them and not their path.
**1.1.5 = same thing with modified barret.. cant remember any big change.

1.2.0 to 1.2.1 to whateve version we're at now - cant remember cause i retired ;f

this makes me wanna start playing again.

Deleted User
June 4, 2005, 12:42 pm
1.2.1 is teh best!

i play soldat once a month now:( only when i test things i make..

Captain Ben
June 4, 2005, 1:04 pm
I play to relieve anger and relax. When I play video games, I think.

Green Barret
June 4, 2005, 3:32 pm
What version is better? That is open to opinion, and is usually judged by how the weapons were balanced at the time. If you used a barret alot in 1.2.0(or any version before), these versions are naturally in your favor.

However, 1.2.1 has the best weapons balance of all versions. And it is balance that is most important. Good job, MM

SuperKill
June 4, 2005, 3:41 pm
we could only hope that a new ballance debate over the current version wont rise ;D
(altho i hope it will)

BManx2000
June 4, 2005, 3:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by Ok
Invicible nades, bad polygons, hits that don't register, m79 shots that push the enemie but won't even injrue him!
*cough*sowhatelseisnew*cough*

Deleted User
June 4, 2005, 4:20 pm
1.2.1 Is the best, hands down. I use to like 1.1.5 better but after seeing bullets go through people etc I stuck with it.

ThaD
June 4, 2005, 4:48 pm
105b

Deleted User
June 4, 2005, 7:11 pm
I only played 1.2.0 and 1.2.1, lol.
I'd say 1.2.1 is the best. :-p

Ok
June 4, 2005, 8:35 pm
That's the main problem, most players of today have only seen 1.2.0 and the current version.
Ofcourse they will love it, they just take an auto and they own.
BTW, I was never a barret user, was an m79er for my first year of playing.
And I can tell you 1.1.5 sure was a great version, even though the barrets.
'Cause when a barretard camps and use the overpowered snipe mode, its doest really helps him get to your flag 'cause he needs to camp
In this version Lame means sure victory.

Plus the bugs are horrible just horrible!
Its so frustrating sometimes....

Cookie`
June 4, 2005, 9:30 pm
i liked 1.1.4 myself.. and the beta 1.1.6

Deleted User
June 4, 2005, 11:00 pm
the beta 1.1.6? wasn't that the same as 1.2?

Outcast
June 5, 2005, 12:48 am
cookie wasn't that beta where the m79 had (Please refrain from swearing) range and huge blast? I complained about that a lot so thank god it didn't get implemented :p
1.05b was fun, allthough i know deagles totally sucked then....o well..

Cookie`
June 5, 2005, 12:58 am
i liked 1.1.6 because you could stick to thin polygons and glide on them sortof

like in voland you could stick to the bridge lay down and slide back and forth :D \o/ Hurray for bridge racing it was similar to ice sliding... yea the m79 was different in that version too

Deleted User
June 5, 2005, 2:13 am
i really hate the thing where if you shoot someone with a barrett right in front of your....THEY DONT DIE!!!1

Cookie`
June 5, 2005, 2:20 am
quote:Originally posted by dascooi really hate the thing where if you shoot someone with a barrett right in front of your....THEY DONT DIE!!!1

In what version? You can't kill your teamates if friendlyfire is turned off just so you know silly!

Deleted User
June 5, 2005, 3:11 am
I think my favorite version was 1.1.5 is my favorite, if only because that is when I discovered Soldat, and is the version of which I have the fondest memories.

Captain Ben
June 5, 2005, 6:33 am
1.2 was my favourite, but the matches where everyone was in Lagrange with barrets annoyed me.
WHERE WAS THE BINK WHEN I NEEDED IT!?!

Spectral
June 5, 2005, 6:51 am
To add on an annoying thing about the m79, is that when are close to an enemy, you may shoot m79 and/or nade at enemy, and u get a selfkill, and they are unfazed :Q

AerialAssault
June 5, 2005, 7:51 am
ive played since 1.1.3. and ive always used every weapon and i can honestly say i believe 1.2.1 is perfect.

Ok
June 5, 2005, 11:52 am
1.1.6?
Never saw it, probably because it was a beta :)

Chakra`
June 5, 2005, 12:45 pm
Ahhh.. a relaxing sunday with nothing important to do. This old noobie may as well stir something up on this classic well-discussed thread.

My favourite version was the beta just before the 1.2.1 release. It was absolutely perfect.

As my failing memory recalls, Michal made some modifications that I myself never had a chance to test, nor anyone else had time to evaluate as far as I could tell from the lack of updates in the beta forum, into which 2 days later he released 1.2.1 as we know it.
What he did I can't say precisely, maybe a few damage upgrades to autos, and most definitely 'bink' to the ruger, and I seem to remember the minigun having a slower rate of fire(?), but it felt much better before he pushed it out the door.

Still, his rush to release 1.2.1 was justified with, and I quote, "I just want to get it out there". Excited little fella.

1.1.4-5 was indeed beautiful, but was blundered by the infalable barret. That damn weapon made Soldat hell to play if you didn't comply to using that simple weapon, as the time it took to kill a good barret user (ie: one who knew how to evade and keep a distance) was usually alot longer than it took him to reload, as the damage dealt by most weapons back then was possibly half what it is now.

Thus at the time, M79 became the peak 'true veteran/respected' weapon among the community, so it seemed. M79 held it's own with 1 shot kills, swooping in and able to knock out an unwary barret user, while still remaining a fairly skillful (and probably most relatively difficult weapon) of it's time. It became some people's skillful weapon of choice.

What my main problem with 1.2.1 is though, is the M79.

Why? Well, M79 is a fine weapon. I really don't mind it. Little annoying at times, seeing someone blast you at 0 range all the damn time and not take any damage, or pin you into your spawn area (ctf_voland anyone?), but overall i'm cool with M79.

What pisses me off about it though, is every god damn european public server I go into, at least 2/3rds of all the players are using m79! What the hell is with that? I like to fight people! Not get blasted by an m79 before I know whats coming all the time, or dodging their shots and trying to take them down as they run off.

I blame this on the respect to the weapon back in the pre-1.2 days. It seems every god damn noob is behind the times and wants to use the respected and 'unique' weapon. Hardly unique if everyones using it though ...

1.2.1 is quite well balanced. In most 1v1 situations, I imagine any weapon can be used against the other.

But 'groups' of weapons, namely autos, seem to hold the superiority. Which is probably how it should be, as this is typically the case in most other games. However it can be a little extreme at times and leaves you feeling a little restrained from getting away with other choices of armament. Hence I haven't played a clan war since 1.2.1 was released really...just too damn hard for me with all those clans using the most effective group of weapons.

And their good with it too. It's not particularly hard to get good with any weapon, but you can tell the difference between someone who's used it for a while and who hasn't, especially with Desert Eagle users.

..just my 2 cents there.

m00`
June 5, 2005, 1:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
**1.1.3 = totally KICKASS version! the lack of anti-lag system really made it more challenging for m79 users like me at the time.

if i remember correctly you were using barret at that time?

Ok
June 5, 2005, 3:55 pm
Superkill was using barret ALL the time lol, he was always a barretard :)

I disagree Chaky boy, I find it so easy to fight m79s, just bink them and or keep your distance.
How hard is that?!
I find it also very easy to dodge their shots, maybe its because after using it for so long I know when they are going to shoot me.

Most weapons are sprayable at 1.2.1 and that is the main problem, not m79 :You need to play a cw inorder to know that, try playing vs EF for example.
Or any other clan for that matter, if they don't use the spraying system they will after you'll start winning.
Its seems so pointless to practice stuff when you can just take an auto and spray everything
1.1.5 were times of team work and andrenaline to those who did not use barret and you should know there were alot of those in the hight ranks in the times of 1.1.5

SuperKill
June 5, 2005, 4:24 pm
what the hell are you guys talking about?
in 1.1.3 i joined my second serious clan (RGN) and i was using m79, one of the reasons were because i couldnt handle playing a barret with the average ping of 150~ on all servers (keep in mind that anti lag didnt exist in 1.1.3) besides the ones around my location.

i stopped playing at 1.1.4 after something happened to the clan, then when i came back i asked outty for some barret practice.

my witnesses are;
1. Outcast, that trained me with the barret.
2. TFS, the only active player from my time that remembers i was an m79er i guess.
3. all of my clanmates from either -{S:A}- and [RGN].
4. anyone else that played around 1.1.3 and got a good memory ;p

about the 1.1.6 and the betas, there were 4 betas for 1.1.6 (a,b,c,d) which had the extremely jammed barret. luckily, or not (doesnt matter), that changed in 1.1.6d i think.

Da cHeeSeMaN
June 5, 2005, 5:18 pm
v1.2.1 is great

i just wish i had the chainsaw from v1.1.4 :-D

Deleted User
June 5, 2005, 5:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cookie`quote:Originally posted by dascooi really hate the thing where if you shoot someone with a barrett right in front of your....THEY DONT DIE!!!1

In what version? You can't kill your teamates if friendlyfire is turned off just so you know silly!

im talking about if your like right infront of an enemy, the bullet will go right through them.

Chakra`
June 5, 2005, 5:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by Ok

I disagree Chaky boy, I find it so easy to fight m79s, just bink them and or keep your distance.
How hard is that?!

Woah slow down there luv...

m79's are indeed easy combatants. And thats my bloody problem...the game gets so bloody boring and samey. Any server would if almost everyone used the same gun, but dear christ, especially the m79.

And spray is indeed the reason I no longer bother with clan wars. It just became too tedious and boring to endure.

As for the history of 1.1.6, there was indeed a 1.1.6 beta.

Michal felt compelled however, to rename it to 1.2 upon release because he felt it had such dramatic changes, it deserved to go 'the next number up'.

During 1.1.6a-b beta, the barret was nerfed in an awkward fashion for any long-term user of it; it's aim was faultered whether in the air or moving on the ground, forcing the user to adopt it as an actual sniper weapon, rather than the rail-gun fashion it was more commonly used for.

Come 1.1.6c however, a long and thorough discussion/begging session from Cbble (of clan Soldat Veteran fame) pleaded for a total of 26 threads to return it to it's original beauty. In the end, it was. We groaned, and got over it.

Then came 1.2.1 beta. A new system was introduced: binking.

The barret was binked, and at the time the m79 was so badly binked, it sometimes fired in the opposite direction you were aiming! Cbble once again pleaded, into which most of us overwhelmed him with a simultaneous "oh no, we ain't going through another year of barret-domination again". However, it was rather severe, so Michal tuned it down a little, added bink to a few other weapons and overall we were fairly impressed.

..I think thats how it went anyway.

Kazuki
June 5, 2005, 6:18 pm
Actually, I believe that the M79 is underpowered, mainly because of the fact that it doesn't work too well in a group like autos and semi-autos do. It has many weaknesses and is a pain in the arse to use against autos, IMO. But I guess that's another different topic of discussion.

As for 1.1.5, I though it was a decent version. Like Chak said, Barrets dominated the servers. If you hadn't played 1.1.5, it's probably a hard sight to imagine, but there was a camper around every corner and sometimes groups of barret scouters heading towards your base like an army of elephants towards the Keebler Elves factory while they are making peanut-buttered cookies.

I agree with the fact that 1.2.1 is a very balanced version in terms of weapon balance. Those of you who are saying that you miss 1.1.5 and you thought it was better, I bet that if you had the chance to play 1.1.5 again, you'd realize how bad it actually is.

SuperKill
June 5, 2005, 8:18 pm
too bad the bullets cut through bodies now tho.
was so fun hearing the "thump" on your opponents :<

Ok
June 6, 2005, 11:05 am
I remember perfectly fine how 1.1.5 was handled.
True it didn't have the perfect weapons balance, yet it was much better then 1.2.1
I can safely say I enjoyed 1.2 very much even though the AK was a bit too much in that version as well.
There was no reason to increase the autos! it was close to too much as it was!
So Chakra basicly what you're saying, you guys (the beta testers) aspciacly Cbble!!!!!!
Are responsible for the spraying fest that is going on atm.
This is just great, you urged MM to (Please refrain from swearing) up the version the way he did and just stopped playing 'cause you hate the way it turned out.

This version is too easy! way too easy, and in these cases when skills are less effective you basicly win/lose fights by laming more or lagging more.
Has nothing to do with skills, and in 1.1.5 it had everything to do with skills! even barret users had some skills, some had alot actualy if you all temember the hard aim to the left up and so on.
Some nice shots were made by barret users back then, alot of skill even with that overpowered weapon.
So I do like 1.1.5 better, even though the version 1.2 itself was my favourit, but I just loved the days of 1.1.5.

Kazuki
June 6, 2005, 1:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by OkSo Chakra basicly what you're saying, you guys (the beta testers) aspciacly Cbble!!!!!!
Are responsible for the spraying fest that is going on atm.
This is just great, you urged MM to (Please refrain from swearing) up the version the way he did and just stopped playing 'cause you hate the way it turned out.

That is a bunch of bull(recordscratch)!

1) We are in no way responsible for MM's decisions. He is responsible for what he does to his game and his decisions should be respected.
2) That is a huge generalization. Most of us beta testers did nothing but our job. We looked for bugs and reported them. In my opinion, weapon balance should never have been mentioned during beta testing, and most of us didn't mention it, except for whiners like Cbble.
3) We didn't in any way "urge" or influence MM to change the weapon balance. Most of us didn't at least. The problem was that there were too many beta testers, and things got out of hand. Only 20 or so beta testers should be picked, not 47.
4) Most/some of us do still play, including myself. I don't care what your opinion of 1.2.1 is, but you have no right to blame us based on that opinion.

SuperKill
June 6, 2005, 2:23 pm
kazuki, whiners like cbble saved this soldat from turning into hell.
the fact that you and a few other forum persons are sure that this version is totally ballanced doesnt mean anything.

what's the problem with disscusing about the weapon ballance between the beta testers, in the beta testings?
some people are more talented with finding bugs, some try to think forward with thought like "how's it gonna be fighting against someone that uses a superpowered ak47?".

if cbble (and sevral others) werent "whining" about the horrible, may i say, weapon ballance of the 1.6a-c betas for example, we'd be left with about more than a half smaller community right now.

Chakra`
June 6, 2005, 2:35 pm
Actually Kazuki, we are a cog in this mechanical soup. We played a passive role to the progression on Michal's logic in trying to find the perfect balance. Here's the story, in all of my glorified detail.

Michal was going to renerf/bink the barret in the 1.2.1 betas to a degree more than it is now, at which point active balance discussion once again took hold.

There was those - already frequently mentioned - who asked it be removed, but frankly the majority of us had just about had enough of barret for 2 years. But, we all did agree the barret's bink was a tad extreme (it shot around 70-90 degrees away from your aim).

So Michal just thought ".... ok...well if I can't nerf barret all the way without complaints, i'll just have to even up the other weapons to it's level! That sounds fair. Genius!"

Remember, Michal was once famously quoted for his own hate on 'being shot by a sniper rifle 2 inches away'.

And thus, the other weapons saw greater powers. M79 saw bink too, and eventually ruger. Michal had flipped the coin on weapon superiority.

During beta testing they seemed quite alright and very well balanced, but as I said, I believe a few modifications were made before most of us had a time to test and comment before it got rushed out the door over the space of a brief weekend.

So yeah....blame? Blame most of us for burning Michal's bridges when he was to consider keeping the weapon balance 1.2 style.

Blame Cbble for creating this dilemma in the first place. One huge thread, 26 long pages with over 1000 replies all around the barret and it's damn balance. (The original 'nerf' in the 1.2 betas was fine if you ask me, it's modifications explained in my previous post)

And blame Michal for some reason, 'rushing' the project out the door. Sure he had his reasons though.

DeMonIc
June 6, 2005, 2:59 pm
How about we don't call random blames? There were a series of events that turned 1.2.1beta to what it is now. One of them was mentioning that maybe all weapons should have bink. And before some people start sending hate mails to some other people, I'd like to mention that the idea of all weapons getting binked would have came up sooner or later, I wanted to post it aswell.
But there was another thing.. us beta testers were used to 1.2 standards: meaning we used barret, ruger, de, M79.. but not the autos. As I recon non of the beta testing games had spray at all.. hell, I didn't even know that phrase back then. Besides, I think there was like 5 days between every weapon getting binked and the release of 1.2.1.

Kazuki
June 6, 2005, 5:50 pm
@Superkill - I never said that the weapon balance was perfect. I said that it has been the most balanced so far. I guess you do have a point about discussing the weapon balance, but I think it just gets too far. If we, the beta testers, were able to handle discussing weapon balance without turning it into a civil war, things would be a lot better off.

Edit: Chakra is right in the fact that a few changes were made just hours before the version was released. There was nothing that could be done about these changes.

I guess some beta testers influence the version changes more than others do. It's hard to decipher.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
June 6, 2005, 6:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by Da cHeeSeMaNv1.2.1 is great

i just wish i had the chainsaw from v1.1.4 :-D

Sawing was so great then :P.

Aquarius
June 6, 2005, 6:20 pm
quote:Thus at the time, M79 became the peak 'true veteran/respected' weapon among the community, so it seemed. M79 held it's own with 1 shot kills, swooping in and able to knock out an unwary barret user, while still remaining a fairly skillful (and probably most relatively difficult weapon) of it's time. It became some people's skillful weapon of choice.

What my main problem with 1.2.1 is though, is the M79.

Why? Well, M79 is a fine weapon. I really don't mind it. Little annoying at times, seeing someone blast you at 0 range all the damn time and not take any damage, or pin you into your spawn area (ctf_voland anyone?), but overall i'm cool with M79.

What pisses me off about it though, is every god damn european public server I go into, at least 2/3rds of all the players are using m79! What the hell is with that? I like to fight people! Not get blasted by an m79 before I know whats coming all the time, or dodging their shots and trying to take them down as they run off.

I blame this on the respect to the weapon back in the pre-1.2 days. It seems every god damn noob is behind the times and wants to use the respected and 'unique' weapon. Hardly unique if everyones using it though ...

I fully agree!!! And I will repeat it again: NERF MY BELOVED M79!!! I <3 you Chakra :*

Darkfist007
June 7, 2005, 2:25 am
I like the latest version the best, the barret is even more deadly when you master it. I can still pick out targets in mid-air, if lag is permiting, I didnt notice much change even though they say they changed it. But the thing that makes it shine is the bouce effect on the shots, save for when a law or anything else, bounces through your targets "legs." With the bouce mastered you can hit almost any target with the proper gun.

KeFear
June 7, 2005, 9:19 am
I like 1.1.5 much better then 1.2.1 I think the latest version is a piece of (Please refrain from swearing). Bink killed the game - at least for me. If all the weapons had bink, it would be a bit more fine, i would say, but i don't like the way ruger is (Please refrain from swearing)ed up now.. it seems to shoot at random. If we have bink, have it for all weapons or none at all. That's my opinion. Thus.. i share mostly Chakra's opinion.

The other reason i don't play anymore (only rarely) is the lameass community. I just can't enjoy a game where the ppl are so damn retards.. sorry about that, it's not for everyone.

Darkfist007
June 7, 2005, 3:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by KeFear
The other reason i don't play anymore (only rarely) is the lameass community. I just can't enjoy a game where the ppl are so damn retards.. sorry about that, it's not for everyone.

Yeah the latest version does have more hackers, lamers, whiners, and just all around idiots. I could just be the timing though. But I do agree that the community has taken a fall.

Ok
June 7, 2005, 3:52 pm
I think you can blame it on the Version itself.
Harder games attract smarter ppl, morons reject the harder games since they only look for easy ways to win inorder to get the satisfaction they are good at something.

While easy games are a magnet for the mentally challanged, and there is no doubt that 1.2.1 IS the easist version for a new player out of all the versions so far.

Chakra`
June 7, 2005, 6:23 pm
I'd have to agree, it 'probably' is the easist for new comers to get into.

However, through 1.1.5 to 1.2.1 i've tried getting a few people into this game. None of them could really work it out. Counterstrike players, battlefield players, mmorpg players ... soldat was beyond their hour-long experience, unable to master the 'indirect' aim, jumping while running, and using jump jets effectively. They call me mad for liking this game for so long.

I can never understand how some people have 'ever' found Soldat hard to get skilled at, seeing as I first started off with a 56k modem and sticking to real-mode for 6 months and usually topping the higher end of the scoreboard right from the start.
I just watched others, and tried to keep up. I noticed how others were effective with certain weapons, and tried to mimick that while also experimenting.

Perhaps Soldat is too different for those dedicated to more modern 3D games, especially FPS's. I can't see why though...

June 7, 2005, 7:01 pm
I reckon it's that extra dimension. Just a thought.

KeFear
June 7, 2005, 7:46 pm
Maybe those who play soldat do this becouse they don't need fancy 3D super-realistic graphics and/or have old computers. Changing from a 3D FPS would be too dramatic for them, and as they look at the graphics of Soldat, they think it is a piece of **** and don't waste their time on the game.. :( pitty

Happy Camper
June 7, 2005, 9:53 pm
I just want to say that i TOTALY 100% agree with everything OK, and Chakra have said, 1.2.1 is the easyest version out of all of them.

And autos, the most overpowered weapon type, compared with Semi-auto, and 1 shots, Why? because, they are powerfull (average 7-10 hits to kill, with a 30-100 round clip) they have BINK effect, ANNND they can be sprayed to great effect.

1.1.5, best version ever in my opinion, ether that, or 1.1.3, both of them required 5 times the skill needed now. its TO easy to jump in, pick up an auto, and place well with it, very little skill involved anymore.

P.S, i can vouch for SuperKill, he was a M79er in 1.1.3, because he was the one who turned me on to the weapon.

Unlucky 13
June 8, 2005, 8:47 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra` Counterstrike players, battlefield players, mmorpg players ... soldat was beyond their hour-long experience, unable to master the 'indirect' aim, jumping while running, and using jump jets effectively. They call me mad for liking this game for so long.

Hmm, thats interesting, I found most of my friends liked it (except the one that plays 'Age of Empires' o.0). One of my friends is an SSBM player, so that may have helped him, considering the loss of 1 dimension. It is weird though, the 'computer illiterate' hate it, the not so 'computer illiterate' like it.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 8, 2005, 4:47 pm
Nice discussion, I can't wait to release the new version and we can start all over again :).
If you're talking about blame for the weapons balance, than blame me (if you are not happy with it). Beta testers only help me decide what's best for the current version. I obviously always have the final word. While testing changes in the game it is hard to see what might happen eventually, the game needs to be really released to test how the weapons balance works. While we were testing the balance seemed very good and it is if you consider playing small games with your friends. But if you take the weapons balance and look at it through a perspective of 8 months and millions of hours of gameplay you think something else.
I hope to make the balance more fun and challenging in the next version, because if it is boring than even if it is perfect than what is the point? I hope I learned something during all these versions and will make Soldat even better in the future, we'll see soon.

Ok
June 8, 2005, 5:45 pm
Erm, I think that it is possible to predict what will happen by using some imagination.
You have to think low and extreme, if you upgrade a weapon think of ways to abuse it (Cause others will), if you degrade a weapon think of ways to abuse the others against it.
This is the line of thought that will lead you to a better weapons balance and with time, close to perfect.
:) BTw how do you like Chakra's Avatar? :P

SuperKill
June 8, 2005, 5:48 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiI can't wait to release the new version and we can start all over again

/orgasm

Michal Marcinkowski
June 8, 2005, 6:22 pm
>> it is possible to predict what will happen by using some imagination
Well that's what I'm doing since the beginning of Soldat. Usually the extremes from my predictions happen.

Chakra's avatar is evil.

Chakra`
June 8, 2005, 6:27 pm
If you wanna trade, i'm game. Always fancied myself as a pred.

Ok
June 8, 2005, 6:40 pm
Well if you predict the extreme and it happens, then you should think of better ways to stop them from happening.
I have a feeling you'll do better in the next version though ;)

Aquarius
June 8, 2005, 11:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiNice discussion, I can't wait to release the new version and we can start all over again :).
If you're talking about blame for the weapons balance, than blame me (if you are not happy with it). Beta testers only help me decide what's best for the current version. I obviously always have the final word. While testing changes in the game it is hard to see what might happen eventually, the game needs to be really released to test how the weapons balance works. While we were testing the balance seemed very good and it is if you consider playing small games with your friends. But if you take the weapons balance and look at it through a perspective of 8 months and millions of hours of gameplay you think something else.
I hope to make the balance more fun and challenging in the next version, because if it is boring than even if it is perfect than what is the point? I hope I learned something during all these versions and will make Soldat even better in the future, we'll see soon.

If I may suggest something to you Michal, nerf M79! Leave M79 jumps unchanged, but bring back the old M79 bullet speed from 1.1.x. Remember, M79er is telling you this :) M79 is one of the coolest weapons, so it should be a bit harder :)

SuperKill
June 8, 2005, 11:27 pm
nie listenowy to aquarius!
no but really, how about we leave the weapon suggestions till the actual testing begins? (or am i missinformed?)

grand_diablo
June 9, 2005, 12:28 am
1.1.5 + 1.2.1 bink effect & ricochet + 1.1.3 weapon powers would be nice to see :p

KeFear
June 9, 2005, 2:06 pm
i don't want to see any bink in the next version...

i am ahab
June 9, 2005, 3:17 pm
/me observes the thread mutating...
into something....
SOMETHING HORRIBLE!

OH NOES ITS A WHICH WEAPON IS BEST THREAD! :O

Deleted User
June 10, 2005, 1:25 am
quote:Originally posted by Ok1.1.5 was a very good version when I look at it now.
Only problem was Barret, but it had its downs, after a while I got over those, I came to realize that Barret is NOT a team play weapon.
Which means that you can overcome 3 barretards with good team work.

So basicly I had alot fo fun, I remember having lags sometimes because back then a good ping for me was 133-150.
Sometimes I played with 250.
Today I get to play with 90-100 which is good enough.

Now besides the usual things I whine about (spray, lameass community) I have another thing that bothers me.

I rememeber the lag I had to deal with back then, it was a matter of getting used to shotting over the image becase of lag.

Today in 1.2.1 its not a matter of getting used to anything anymore.

The most annoying thing is when you shoot an enemei flagger with m79 while he is in the air, the shot hits him, he blasts away from you because of the m79 blast, but he doesn die.

Or when you play and for some reason you blast the enemie with 4 nades from above him, he loses a little health then shots 1 nade up into you and you die instintly.

Stuff like that makes me miss 1.1.5, ALOT!
The lag of today is not managbly but anything, all you can do is cross your fingers and hope for the best, hope for a better day where you won't step on any invicble nades, won't get hit by random spraying.
It seems to me it became more of a luck game with a little help from ping and lag.
The skill you need to play in the high levels of the community is gained after 2-3 days of playing :\ the rest is pure luck and lag

Dude, who has time to cross his fingers? Get going! We all have those restraining accidents(personally i like to reffér to them as spasms)..

-Claw-
June 12, 2005, 6:56 pm
Look how does the dead enemy fall in 1.1.5, compare to 1.2.1... I think 1.1.5 dead animations were WAAYY more realistic (Not so (Please refrain from swearing)ing big SWROOOOSSSZZZZ<put MUCH blood here> from barrett.. Body just fell down..)

Also, now the problem is e.g. in clanmatches 3 Autos.. it is horribe, and all those "lag" "hit" "DIE!?!?!?!" "lame" comments, made me to quit playing Soldat, at least in clans.. Hail 1.1.5 \o/

Also, one problem: Deagles.. sometimes it is just like 3 DE vs 3 DE.. Best DE SHALL WIN!.. not like that, there should be even a little chnage to that.. i think.. Bring mack the barrett times :)