( search forums )
A idea for a...king of the hill type map.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Kyklis
June 5, 2005, 6:01 am
[IMAGE]

LEGEND:
Green = Normal Ground ( Grass Scenery? )
Aqua = Water ( Just a transparent blue scenery square )
Brown X = Those big X scenery things, ya know, the ones from WW2?
Yellow Square = A poly that bullets hit, but players pass through ( To prevent spawn killing )
Red/Blue Dot: Red and Blue teams spawn points
Grey = Concrete Wall .
Blue Square = It was gonna be a regenarating poly, but might be more balanced if it was just a normal poly.
Blue Squares in Grey Squares : Bullets go through, Players don't.
Red Square = Stationary Gun
Green Square = Well, bullets colide, players don't. If this was to work it would have to be a thin poly, and the end of the stationary gun ( where teh bullets go out of ) would have to be sticking through it, or else it wouldn't work. This way whichever team dosen't hold the hill REALLY has to have good m79/grenade skills to kill the turret operator, or they just have to run like hell.

The map shouldb e streched out too, so it takes a bit for the players to get to the middle ( 5-10 seconds ).

--------------------------------------
I thought it up a long time ago. It would be a teamatch game, but players would only join blue or red, then the players must rush towards the middle and try to control the center, which would be pretty heavily defended with turrets and such. The stuff above is a bit confusing, as it was made a while ago. I haven't seen a map like this, and I figure it would be pretty fun. The alternative ,I guess, is for it to be CTF and just have the flags put somewheres inaccesible. So you wouldn't know who was winning really, but it could be pretty aparent.

Deleted User
June 5, 2005, 8:49 am
there is already a king of the hill mode. that I made:D

just go to www.soldatshack.tk and go to maps and to the bottom of the page.

Kyklis
June 21, 2005, 2:09 am
Thats a good one, but I mean like where the hill is a heavily defended fortress :D

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 4:08 am
It's a nice idea for a map. :)

Keron Cyst
June 21, 2005, 6:30 am
quote:Originally posted by Kyklis...Brown X = Those big X scenery things, ya know, the ones from WW2?...
Wooden blockades, a.k.a. tank traps. They were used to slow tank movement, since they took a shell to destroy and were easily produced and littered upon the battlefield.
There were also the mines, which took the Allies months to concoct an efficient way of safely detonating.

[/filling in Field Marshal BM's role :-P]

Kyklis
June 22, 2005, 12:30 am
^ Thanks for the info, but couldn't ifantry just move them? I don't think they were that heavy...

Deleted User
June 22, 2005, 1:33 am
quote:Originally posted by Kyklis^ Thanks for the info, but couldn't ifantry just move them? I don't think they were that heavy...

They were also buried a couple feet under ground so they could'nt be moved. Otherwise tanks could just plugh over them.

@Keron Cyst: I guess my history buff ways have become well known :p

Kyklis
June 22, 2005, 1:35 am
Oh yea...now I feel stupid :P. But even if they weren't, the tanks would eventually have so many in front of them that it would mess them up, I think. And yes, FMBM, you kick ass a war/military history :D. Completely unrelated, but your mods kick total ass. Now back to the original topic, I tried this with about 8 people, on a crappy map with no textures, shading or scenery, just to try it out, and it is FUN. The place is heavily fortified, and we set up sniper positions and you NEEDED teamwork and Oh was it fun :D.

Keron Cyst
June 22, 2005, 2:22 am
I don't like the yellow. Spawnkilling would still result; barretards would just sit right outside the projectile-blocking polygons and kill anyone as soon as he passes through. I say give a hole in the ceiling (with a projectile-blocking polygon) and give more space in the main path, and remove the projectile-blocking polygon there.

About killing SGners (say it out loud, unabbreviated :-D ), a rocket can injure/kill them, and blow them away easily. Some bullets may also pass from the opposition if the polygon is small enough.

Rather, instead of trying to manipulate polygons so insanely, just overlap two SGs xD It'll get the same effect you're striving for, IMO. Total chaos!