( search forums )
Possible cause of some "Access Violation" errors
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Unlucky 13
June 6, 2005, 8:55 am
Playing around with the Soldat.ini file, I decided to try setting the Max_Particles= to 500, just to see the effect. The result? Chaos, if many bots shot at the same time, and blood was dropped, the Access Violation messages would appear. Switching back to the default 358, the messages dissapeared. People that get these messages may have a bug (probably not possible) in the config.exe that causes this to go over the maximum 358 limit.

I am going to try a few other options and see the effects.

damentz
June 9, 2005, 6:35 pm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314106

I had to replace most of those files from my windows cd, theres a Windows XP version and a Windows 2000 version.

Search for the files on your disk without the extension as they will have one letter off as an underscore, such as .ex_

After all the files you need are in a folder, open the dos box with cmd not command in the run box.
navigate to the directory (easiest, put the files in a folder thats in the c: root, then you can just type "cd c:\folder"

then use the expand command such as (expand command.co_ command.com) to each of the files, then drag and drop em all in your system32 folder in the windows directory. You might have to restart ur comp. This is what i had to do, hope this helps some people

Michal Marcinkowski
June 10, 2005, 10:48 pm
358 is the hard-coded limit, if you go over it I'm not responible for the damage :).

damentz
June 12, 2005, 1:32 am
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click System, click the Advanced tab, and then click Environment Variables.
3. In the User variables for User_Name list, click TMP, and then click Edit.
4. In the Variable value box, type %systemroot%\temp, and then click OK three times.

Alternatively, type the path of any folder that does not use long file names in the Variable Value box.
5. Close Control Panel.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889506
I kinda changed it a bit but it works fine. This might help some people with it. Somehow the access violations have to do with command.com and other errors with 16bit files and stuff

Unlucky 13
June 12, 2005, 11:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowski358 is the hard-coded limit, if you go over it I'm not responible for the damage :).

Eee... OK... now you scared me.
After fiddling about, I found a few little things, lets say goodies, that are able to be changed thru the .ini and no-where else. I'm doing a complete translation now.

Idea: Next time someone asks the Access Violation problem, (Although it shouldn't) ask them to check the soldat.ini to find the cause, just MAYBE this could be the real problem, or anything else, for that matter.