( search forums )
Soldat hates custom maps
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Zero72
June 9, 2005, 8:34 pm
Ok, this problem is somewhat similar to a reported one, but I'm not sure if it's really the same thing. I'm aware of a bug that causes Soldat to go plooie when a custom map is loaded online -- however, my Soldat also goes plooie when one is loaded OFFline.

This happens with every map I've downloaded since I installed Soldat on this computer. I even have some custom maps that I've had since before then, and they work fine too. But whenever I add a custom map to a game list, Soldat screws up violently every time the game gets to it. First it gives me the same "Cannot create file [random scenery image I know I have and isn't read-only].bmp" error, about 50-100 times, and then the map loads. Oh, except it looks like this.

[IMAGE]

I'm stuck in an invisible land mass while huge black polygons assault my monitor, shifting around crazily whenever the camera is moved. Powerups can be seen sitting unmoving on empty space between them, like that health kit there. Also note that I've somehow managed to acquire 30 points without moving, and that I was not allowed to choose a weapon. It's pretty well please refrain from swearinged up.

This does not happen, however, if the custom map is the very first on the map list. So they can be played alone, or in a list, just as long as it doesn't loop.

The only clue I think I have that might be relevant is this.

[IMAGE]

The Scenery-gfx folder, as you can see, is marked read-only -- and refuses at all costs to be made otherwise. I can uncheck it all I want and it rechecks itself every time. All of the scenery-gfx files themselves, however, are NOT read-only, so I just don't know.

Anybody have any ideas?

Deleted User
June 10, 2005, 6:00 pm
"Plooie"... LOL! XD
Anyways, I sometimes had a similar problem... can't remember what I did though... it was either reinstalling Soldat or reinstalling Windows. You may have a problem.

Zero72
June 10, 2005, 8:56 pm
Reinstalling Soldat certainly didn't do the trick.

And I really don't particularly feel like reinstalling Windows.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 10, 2005, 10:46 pm
I think this is a bug I discovered today in the code. I suppose the map works when it is the only one in the list and you start it?

Deleted User
June 10, 2005, 10:49 pm
Thats how I solved it...I can only play it by itself, with no other maps in the playlist.

Zero72
June 11, 2005, 3:27 am
Yes, it works fine when played alone, or is the first map on the list.

Deleted User
June 11, 2005, 3:34 pm
Well then, I suggest that you use the Change Map option to change maps then. :-P

damentz
June 12, 2005, 2:19 am
when you reinstall make sure you delete the soldat folder.

Zero72
June 13, 2005, 3:15 am
quote:Originally posted by HugokuWell then, I suggest that you use the Change Map option to change maps then. :-P
Our hero, knowing perfectly well that this suggestion will not work, tries anyway just for kicks and giggles.
[IMAGE]*x1 billion* *fthoom*
Our hero delivers Hugoku a swift poke in the eye. quote: when you reinstall make sure you delete the soldat folder.I forgot to mention it, but I already did that.