( search forums )
M79 Tips
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
caliber
June 13, 2005, 10:17 pm
Ok, i'm like all of a sudden addicted to the m79. Im really good with it, BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH. So if anyone here uses the m79 really, really well could you give me some tips?

Deleted User
June 13, 2005, 10:22 pm
Hit Every Shell. =P
Not that I'm the M79 master, tho'.

caliber
June 13, 2005, 10:27 pm
Easier said than done Hugoku..im asking for tips of how to hit every shell..lol

Deleted User
June 13, 2005, 10:39 pm
In my opinion, the main things you need to know in order to get good with the M79 is:

1)Know your range, and don't waste shots on enemies that are out of it.

2)Master the curve of the M79, it can come in very handy for when other guns cannot get to an opponent, who say for instance, are hiding behind a hill.

3)Try to catch people offguard. The shell moves slow for some people to dodge it, so either surprise people, or learn to anticipate their actions.

4)Remember that not every shot needs to be a direct hit. If you enemy is wounded, don't waste time trying to nail him in the face, hit the ground next to him for an easy kill. Or if he's not near the ground, try the ceiling. And if he's way out in the open air, then you'll be forced to hit him head on.

5)Instead of always looking down to see if your gun is loaded again, master the timing it takes to reload it. You can sometimes save valuable milliseconds by learning this.

6)Lastly, always try not to blast people when they're very close to you. No need to turn every kill into a suicide as well.

If I'm forgetting anything important, then oh well. I'm not even that good with M79 so take my advice at your own risk

Keron Cyst
June 13, 2005, 10:57 pm
Heh, yeah. Basically mastering the trajectory is all, as soldaten who continue running along in an opposite direction can also run straight into a lobbed 'nade from you behind them ;-)

LazehBoi
June 14, 2005, 12:56 am
Use the map to your advantage... Dodge an incoming projectile by blasting yourself away. :D

caliber
June 14, 2005, 2:18 am
aight thanks a bunch

Swarmer
June 14, 2005, 4:41 am
-use your secondary weapon liberally. if theres enemies and you are reloading, dont risk it by waiting to finish reloading (unless youre about done). pull out your secondary.

-similarly, use a SOCCOM or another gun as a secondary, so you can quickly finish off those you hit but didnt kill. they probably have barely any health left, so a shot or two from a gun is faster than waiting for your M79 to reload.

-estimate the time you will encounter an enemy. random shots can be very nice. just make sure you are loaded up by the time you actually need acurate shots.

-use it to propel your teammates when enemys are far away. or propel yourself, if you need to. use it to quickly boost yourself out of the enemy base in kampf, or other maps, once you cap the flag.

-practice practice practice. once you get the hang of it, you dont even need to try. you just automatically point it in the perfect place, and it hits every time.

SPARTAN_III
June 14, 2005, 7:42 am
hmm.....

45 degree elevation yields max flight distace when your standing on the ground.
if possible, fly and shoot down.
use on groups to soften them up.
use the SOCOM as a secondary.
dont get hit, m79 binks (i think).
if you kill a guy who has an auto, swap it with the socom.

hope this helps.

vash763
June 14, 2005, 8:01 am
ummm, stay above your enemy at all times, kinda like the knive.

also dont shoot it straight up, and then decide to go that way.

(completely off topic, i always find myself throwin nades exactly where im going to go, before i know i want to go there... how odd (maybe i can use this as a super power, like thats where the enemy thinks im going, so i should go somewhere else. But i dont think i've played w/ ne1 from the forum, or known about it))

Deleted User
June 14, 2005, 8:07 am
heres my tip:
practice with it in the m79 server. Im not usually there cuz its not my kind of weapon, but it could be great practise for you ;)

Captain Ben
June 14, 2005, 8:15 am
It's all about the curves.

Aquarius
June 14, 2005, 8:32 am
1. Remember that when you are trying to catch a running away flag carrier, effective range of your M79 shot is much shorter. Running at full speed you could even kill yourself with it :) Use M79 speed jumps to get him and kill him with nades/secondary instead :)

2. Never ever use knife as secondary with M79, it's pointless. The best combination is M79 + USSOCOM, though a few prefer LAW. Don't waste a M79 shot for wounded people, use USSOCOM to finish them off.

3. When the game begins, use 2-3 M79 speed jumps to get to the enemy base as fast as you can. If they will kill you, you will respawn before enemies reach your base and you may defend it. If they won't kill you, you will get their flag and medkits before their respawn and run away. It's often pretty easy & fast 1st cap :)

NavySeal
June 14, 2005, 3:45 pm
Well after a couple of years you get the hang on it and fraggin people, love this gun.

1 also if you are over the target and the other is coming under shot about 1-2cm before he comes, same if he comes above

Deleted User
June 14, 2005, 4:26 pm
When an EFC is fleeing, I think it's best to aim juuust ahead of him. You either kill or slow him down + wound him.

i am ahab
June 14, 2005, 4:44 pm
learn to m79 jump. its frowned upon by some. but its a powerful way of moving around.

Spectral
June 14, 2005, 7:51 pm
Anticipation is essential for the m79, considering it's tragetory. I find it necessary now adays to play more defensively with it, because if you are being shot at, hitting with it can be difficult. So use your environment to get protection, and when they are in a bad position, fire at them

lastpatriot
June 14, 2005, 8:08 pm
Seems like you'll be using the USSOCOM most of the time ;)

sbu-spyvin
June 14, 2005, 8:21 pm
Trow some nades and shoot on it with a m79 and it will give a nice *boom*

caliber
June 14, 2005, 8:25 pm
Thanks a lot guys, really.

I already know how to m79 jump and do all the special stuff with it, just need more aim with it :)

KnOt
June 14, 2005, 8:48 pm
Use your head.. Be patient, wait till the timing is right..

Keron Cyst
June 14, 2005, 10:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by Aquarius... M79 + USSOCOM... a few prefer LAW....
Mwahaha! B-) I use that some times, when I spawn with the GL (usually I just grab it from a corpse). The Explosives Maniac combo is really useful in small tunnels, like ctf_Equinox, or ctf_Run. But it's death in open areas :-P

Snipedmyself
June 14, 2005, 10:48 pm
if alot of enemies are in a hole or a tight group but not tight enough to kill em all in one you could shoot the m79, maybe they scatter you scratch two and they slaughter you. or you kill one er some and switch to secondary but if you have time try to slather them in grenades and before they have time to really run far you blow thems nades with the m79 and prolly kill yut self. thats what eye'd do but im not like an m79 master er nuf'n

Deleted User
June 14, 2005, 11:24 pm
I could almost not understand 1 bit of ^that^
here is some periods for u to use
.. .... . . be sure to scatter them around in your text :P

Captain Ben
June 15, 2005, 7:59 am
M79's are helpful in Inf, but I always cover my dual uzis with huggles <3

Taz
June 18, 2005, 6:51 pm
go airborne with the m79 first and formost, you have a better option of ways to kill your enemy.

if your enemy is running towards you on the ground, shoot a m79 nade right in front of him. you have a very high chance of killing him without having to aim much.

throw regular nades at your enemy and then hit him with a m79 nade, basicly nade spamming him so he gets caught up in the explosion.

use m79's explosion to damage or unposition campers and people waiting on thin or narrow polys, then take them out with a secondary or nade spam.

since the m79 has an arc, aim a little bit higher or lower than your enemy in order to learn the arc better depending on the position of the enemy.

to make your m79 shots go farther, get a running shot. i cannot really confirm this but it always seems like that works for me. for example, on kampf, at the beginning of a match, run with your m79 towards the hill in the middle and let one off to kill someone at the stat gun.

most crucially but looked down upon tip i can give you is...

NADE JUMP!!! this is especially effective on maps like b2b where you have low jet fuel and wide area. if you happen to need a boost horizonatally, run in the direction and jump a bit then m79 the ground oppisite of where you're running to get that boost. jump and m79 down to boost up. if you get the flag in b2b, happen to be the lone blue or red there, m79 jump up and fake out your enemies spawning out of their base to your best extent then make your way. the enemies most never split up so you have a 50% chance of winding up somewhere where no enemies are.

DT
June 18, 2005, 7:14 pm
gez i hate the MP79... al i ever see on the severs...
and deagles have a hard time with em since deagles are short range weapons...

Keron Cyst
June 18, 2005, 7:49 pm
Depending on how you use 'em, D'Eagles can reach as far as an auto.

TIR_Blade
June 18, 2005, 9:11 pm
Keron, if u aim the Deagles like u aim the auto(other then HK) the auto will go further :D

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 9:30 pm
I dont realy get these "Tips!" threads, just use the gun and become familier with it. Where do you think the guys who are giving you tips got them from? Play with bots if you have too, but just play. You'll learn quick enough

caliber
June 19, 2005, 3:47 pm
Thanks Y'all

Zegovia
June 19, 2005, 8:41 pm
lemme see... i whas pretty adicted to the m79 for quite some time.. but nowadays i try to be more versatile. depending on the mood, situation and feeling.

Anyway, as everyone say, you gotta learn to lob the sucker. and use the soccom as secondary when you dont get a clean kill.

when chasing an enemy, make sure you get an nice run-jump with boost and aim high and fire (that way you get more speed behind the shot) and focus to hit a spot in front of him, so he will run into it.

the most anoying thing that happen is the bugs when you hit someone and he dosent die. and go away unscratched. so you better be prepared for em, they do not happen so often, but on a laggy server, its bound to happen.

when encountering other ppl with m79 or other one shot kill weapon (such as the barret and law), try to make sure they miss, i just rush fast as hell at em so they get starteld, and i often get an tripple or quad barret shot at me (that normally miss! hackers are losers)and use that opening to blast the heck outta them.....

Snipedmyself
June 20, 2005, 7:04 am
Don't forget to praise ALLAH!

criddo
June 20, 2005, 11:24 am
yer, best thing is to shoot from above. It's also a good way to dodge grenades.

caliber
June 20, 2005, 11:04 pm
Its really annoying to shoot up with the m79..usually you miss the angle

__SnoOpy__
June 21, 2005, 6:13 pm
I don't think you really need any "tips" on M79.
It's a easy weapon to start with. Once you practise with it over a month, the "aim feel" should be under controll.

Like Desert Eagle, it's easy-kill weapon. It's all about the "feel". Also, as mentioned above, don't aim people that's not in your sight, because if you miss, most likely your enemy will kill you immediately.

caliber
June 21, 2005, 9:19 pm
Well i didnt really know and i was expecting more of "angle" tips then "what to do" tips.

Outcast
June 22, 2005, 2:26 pm
Don't ask for tips. Moron. Self learned is best. Practice duels in ratcave, and arena3 with a friend that has a barret or m79. Do it for a few hours every day...in a few weeks you'll master the m79 inside out. That's it.

caliber
June 23, 2005, 9:33 pm
Erhm...that was a pretty negative comment. Did your GF dump you or something? no need for crap or "moron" stuff like that. I've been using the m79 for a month and yet i do not do perfect with it. Easier said than done Outcast.

P.S. So are you saying all those other tip topics are pointless?

Ask for help when you can, don't do it all alone. Theres no difference in learning. Learning is learning and you can learn it the easier way or the harder way. And by asking for help you make it easier for yourself, so thats why i ask for tips. OK?

Outcast
June 23, 2005, 10:05 pm
It's like asking for tips how to drive a car, you might learn something, but you'd be better off driving instead. Moron. k?

__SnoOpy__
June 24, 2005, 12:08 am
I agree with Outcast. It has nothing to do with anything, he is just sick of all the topics on weapon use "tips" and your repeative questions, caliber.

Have you hear this before: "I can only show you the way, you have to go through the door yourself". Don't justify yourself just because your lazy.

"Easier said then done", this quote applys to you. Go practise more and you will understand why your looking so stupid.

Back to your question:
If your having trouble with angle, use "Sniper Line" feature and practise with Boggie Man.

TIR_Blade
June 25, 2005, 12:11 am
Snoopy...i think he's asking for the way....

__SnoOpy__
June 25, 2005, 2:39 am
The way? Is there any way?

caliber
June 25, 2005, 4:23 am
but Snoopy, if you look at it closely..it seriously is "Easier said than done". Plus it is actually rarely that i use that saying, only for this topic i have used it a lot.

Also i used the Sniper line it only helps a bit..not a lot.

caliber
June 25, 2005, 4:24 am
I actually seem to play better Without the sniper line. The sniper line distracts me.

caliber
June 25, 2005, 6:00 am
I played a few games and found out that the Ruger is the m79's worst enemy..

Keron Cyst
June 25, 2005, 6:15 am
The edit button is your best friend (look to the top of your posts and a bit to the left; click on the pencil instead of triple-posting).

caliber
June 25, 2005, 3:17 pm
Err i forgot about it lol

Jiggs
June 25, 2005, 7:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by vash763ummm, stay above your enemy at all times, kinda like the knive.

Shooting upward with the M79 is generally a dumb idea, unless you're hiding in the middle of Dropdown and someone jets over you. That should be fine, as long as your aim is right. That is one of the very limited scenarios in which upward M79 shots turn out to be fine.

As for the knife: Generally, I have better luck with upward throws than anything else. Yes, I'm aware that it doesn't always result in a kill, but it's a matter of knowing the limitations. That doesn't mean I'm some 1337 knifing master. Just that I have fun doing things just a little differently.

Outcast
June 26, 2005, 12:11 am
i think he meant you being up, shooting down, jiggs :o

Jiggs
June 26, 2005, 6:07 am
quote:Originally posted by Outcasti think he meant you being up, shooting down, jiggs :o

I know. I was addressing the issue of upward shots/throws, though. I seem to do better when I'm below the other person for some reason.

caliber
June 26, 2005, 2:16 pm
Yeah me too, my m79 aim screws up when i aim up, so its a rare chance that i hit someone when i do

Jaz
June 26, 2005, 4:08 pm
nabs, m79 is best for shooting upwards. its for people with reflexes and good reactions, and people who dont mind losing, who prefer to look cool. if your shooting upwards, the quickness of the bullet at certain points blah blah. nvm soldat is shyt

Deleted User
June 26, 2005, 4:50 pm
who unbanned this (Please refrain from swearing)?

Deleted User
June 26, 2005, 5:15 pm
jaz? what did he do?
i didn't even know he was banned.

caliber
June 26, 2005, 6:37 pm
Jaz got banned? Neva knew dat.

Re-incarnated Borus
June 26, 2005, 6:54 pm
I did not really read the rest of the Tips... So sorry if this has been repeated.

Lead your shots: Considering the M79 Arcs, it is vital that you anticipate where the enemy is going to be a good player at it, It should be easy if they are in midair... As they cannot dodge it, shoot slightly above their headline if they are medium distance away from you(10-15 Paces) and higher and higher above their headline for the further you go, It's actually quite easy to hit people on the edge of your screen from one edge to another, it just relies on this.

Knives: I have found that the knife, is the best secondary weapon... If you miss, which you shouldn't be, but anyways... If you miss, whip out the knife and throw it slightly above their head, I find the knife is easier to aim than the M79, even though it doesn't have the long range power... so make sure you hit them direct, if it doesn't kill them, Jet up into the sky until you manage to reload, then kill them, They shouldn't be able to hit you if your far above them.

Fire First or Fire Second: This is vital when facing another M79... So make this choice first, if you beleive you are facing a sucky player, Jet out of the way of their shot/s, and when they are reloading, Kill them(Shoot them first if they use Socom), However, if they are a good player, you will want to shoot first, as most likely, they are going to try and shoot first too, and because they are a good player, you'll probally die unless you get them first.

Be fast: Barretts are so easy to take out with the M79, but theres a few tips to getting them.

- If they are dug in camping, M79 boost yourself above them so they can't see you, or if there is a roof, blast right into them(this isn't always successful), Then knife them or wait for the reload, I recommend knifing them.

- If they pursue you, make sure you shoot them first and jet up into the sky, If your jets run out, your dead, so kill them before your jets go!

- Sometimes, Barretts are really good shots, so just cut under them, most of the time, they are concentrating so much on 1 little tunnel that they can't see you sneaking underneath them! Then, it's an easy kill...

- Camp, Most likely after you take out a camper, they will return to the same place, so duck down in camoflauge with the knife, and when they return, you get an easy kill. But make sure their death camera doesn't see you! Pretend to jet away then come back.

Hope that helps...

caliber
June 26, 2005, 6:57 pm
Thanks a lot that was a really lots of help, I think i got better with those tips