( search forums )
CTF Skyfort (First Draft)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Roy
June 14, 2005, 2:08 pm
HELLO.

Overview shot here:
http://mods.whahay.net/Belross/sonics0small.jpg

Man, time sure flies when you're working on a map. I think I spent like 10 hours straight on this without even realizing it. It was like I was in a FRENZY OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG-RIPPING. (In case you can't tell, all the graphics are ripped directly from the Sky Fortress zone of Sonic 2.)

I have mixed feelings about how this turned out. I like how it looks... but if you've ever made something like this, you realize that it can be a pain to get polygons to line up with their intended scenery. That's why this is "draft 1;" I still plan to go back and try and fix it up a bit. There are a couple of places where the polygons show through quite noticably (especially in screenshot 1... man wtf). There are even some spots where the polygons are too far below the scenery. Oh well: it's very hard to fix that now that the foreground scenery is in place, but I'll work at it.

Also, I had a pretty vague idea of what kind of actual MAP I wanted to make when I started this. I had a general outline sketch in my mind, but I don't know if it really worked out right. I can't playtest this map at all, since I can't play Soldat online, and it would be nearly impossible to get bots to behave correctly on this map (I still plan on trying to waypoint it later... soldat bots are my only friends now ;_;) so I need all of you folks to play it and give me feedback. Right now, it feels to me like a ctf_dropdown/death/voland hybrid.

Things I'm thinking of changing:
- Changing or adding to the paths which allow access between the middle and lower routes.
- Maybe seperating the bases farther and making it less vertical. There seems like a bunch of boring empty space in the middle.
- Toying with the jetboot amounts. Right now there's just enough jet (if you're good enough) to fly from one side on the bottom to the other side without stopping to refuel. Having a minigun would be a big advantage on this map.

Anyways, judge for yourselves how the map plays. It was an experiment as much as anything, and I'm interested in the results. Now play it you fools!

More screens:

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

And finally, here is your link:
http://mods.whahay.net/Belross/ctf_skyfort.rar

Blackdavis
June 14, 2005, 2:12 pm
Wow
looks realy nice

Deleted User
June 14, 2005, 2:17 pm
looks good, but there is problems with maps like these. the scenery doesn't go along with the poly and you have just alot of jumpies..

Leo Da Lunerfox
June 14, 2005, 3:12 pm
Heres a tip to do these:

If you don't mind having double scenaries, or if it wouldn't go over the scenary limit, you can put a scenary down as half transparent, put in the polygons, then either push delete last, or just put a new scenary right over the old one on no transparency.

Deleted User
June 14, 2005, 3:32 pm
the gameplay I dont know, but it looks awesome :P

Deleted User
June 14, 2005, 4:23 pm
Wow! That looks great! Also do like leo said, execpt delete the sceneries behind it that you use for a base, otherwise slower comp will lag. Btw. what game are those sceneries from? Or did you make them yourself?

Leo Da Lunerfox
June 14, 2005, 8:28 pm
He said they're from a level in Sonic

karmazon
June 14, 2005, 9:14 pm
Wtf Roy you're crazy I like the map but it will probably slow my FPS down to 0

Deleted User
June 15, 2005, 3:05 am
quote:Originally posted by Leo Da LunerfoxHe said they're from a level in Sonic

Oops, missed the memo :p

NuZZ
June 15, 2005, 8:40 am
Good work bro

Avarax
June 15, 2005, 12:33 pm
this sonic thingy just doesnt fit to soldat at all.
i cant play on these maps such as urhos's mario maps because i dont get "the feeling"

Deleted User
June 15, 2005, 3:54 pm
nice map !!! *d\l*

Zero72
June 15, 2005, 6:45 pm
Awesome. I'll download it whenever it's not a first draft anymore. =P

Rambo_6
June 15, 2005, 8:34 pm
Well i bet it took a lot of time to make this. Well done with the graphics.

mar77a
June 15, 2005, 8:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by karmazonWtf Roy you're crazy I like the map but it will probably slow my FPS down to 0

Roy
June 15, 2005, 9:22 pm
Yeah I know the cartoony style of Sonic doesn't perfectly match up with Soldat, but that's not really the point... It's just a bit of fun I guess.

Also, has anyone noticed any major graphical glitches on the map? A friend of mine said that a large part of the Bravo side was missing when he played it, but I can't see what he's talking about...

sbu-spyvin
June 16, 2005, 12:01 pm
Use more a gold colour background and mix that with blue maybe that will look better.

Deleted User
June 16, 2005, 3:33 pm
Someone should make a Sonic gostek to go with this. *nudges Field Marshal BM*