( search forums )
Pause suggestion
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
lastpatriot
June 14, 2005, 11:52 pm
I searched for this, and I couldn't find it, so...

I find that when I pause for even the slightest moment, a bunch of people have gotten frags off of me.

My suggestion is that when you pause, you should be invulnerable to all kinds of fire. It doesn't effect the game-play, and you don't get unfair deaths.

Comments?

Green Barret
June 15, 2005, 3:00 pm
I find that this can be easily exploited by cheap players. For example, if one knows that a M79 round is going to hit him, me might 'pause', canceling the shot. This would be unfair.

Meandor
June 15, 2005, 3:08 pm
This could be abused badly as you suggested it.. It'd need a maximum pause time, a limit of times you can call for this (I'd set it to 0 ;>), a delay before it takes effect; the player shouldn't be able to move (not even way he's facing). Like that, it might be reasonable.
When you're playing you're not supposed to go get your popcorn, if you do, others players are justified to kill you.

Deleted User
June 15, 2005, 3:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by MeandorThis could be abused badly as you suggested it.. It'd need a maximum pause time, a limit of times you can call for this (I'd set it to 0 ;>), a delay before it takes effect; the player shouldn't be able to move (not even way he's facing). Like that, it might be reasonable.
When you're playing you're not supposed to go get your popcorn, if you do, others players are justified to kill you.

What about to itch your nose? :p Can't tell you how many times I've died cause I had an itch :p

mar77a
June 15, 2005, 5:21 pm
It's very difficult to apply...i would say you can only pause when you are waiting to respawn, so that you don't appear, but that could be less useful but appliable..

GluLm
June 15, 2005, 5:47 pm
The only real thing that's needed when you paused is a little icon that would appear upon the head of your soldier. This way others can be sure the player has paused his game.
I suggested this idea some time ago about AFK players, but it didn't seem to be popular either. :|
Although I think it'd be useful to see when people are actually playing or not.

i am ahab
June 15, 2005, 6:06 pm
to be honest, when i play in public there is very little that annoys me more than a load of people on yr team who just enter and then idle whilst the other team pay no attention to the team balance and just run rampant spawnkilling you and yr idlers.
imo this feature is only going to aid ppl being lazy and joining and then idling in a server.
theres plenty of servers going. if, meandor says, you get munchies then have the decency to leave the server. unless yr being active and tell ppl yr going to be afk for like a minute or something and they dont mind. and even if the restrictions were placed its still a viable cheat option.
sadly my lil chum pausing online games is a feature that you just cant have for obvious reasons

Deleted User
June 15, 2005, 9:14 pm
maybe if it activated 5 seconds after he pushes pause? then he couldnt cheaply use itt.

Deleted User
June 15, 2005, 9:26 pm
No. Just no.

Keron Cyst
June 15, 2005, 10:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by Field Marshal BM... What about to itch your nose? :p Can't tell you how many times I've died cause I had an itch :p
*lmao!* xD Rather, I think instead of "pause" there should be invulnerability upon respawn (nothing hurts or pushes you until you push a key or somethin').

I really think that should be in another topic, because every time I try to improve on pause suggestions this way, it always gets ignored... :-P

Maxx
June 16, 2005, 3:47 am
quote:Originally posted by Field Marshal BMquote:Originally posted by MeandorThis could be abused badly as you suggested it.. It'd need a maximum pause time, a limit of times you can call for this (I'd set it to 0 ;>), a delay before it takes effect; the player shouldn't be able to move (not even way he's facing). Like that, it might be reasonable.

What about to itch your nose? :p Can't tell you how many times I've died cause I had an itch :p

That especially sucks in survival/realistic.
You and a person on the opposite team are the only people left, you both have each other's flag, you're both looking for each other, then you stop for a second to itch your nose, then BLAMO!

Pausing would definately be helpful then.

But then again, i'd probably just be like "aww forget that stupid pause button", and itch my nose and die again.

So no.

Captain Ben
June 16, 2005, 7:09 am
HOw about if you had a big 'P' above your head, and you lost points for killing them.
Though, in saying that, it wouldn't stop me :P

The @venger
June 16, 2005, 12:36 pm
nah, they could misuse that also...

Captain Ben
June 16, 2005, 1:14 pm
True. Leave it as it is, I say.

Keron Cyst
June 16, 2005, 3:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by The @vengernah, they could misuse that also...

They can't abuse invulnerability upon respawn if, before you push any keys, your weapons don't load. That'll let you get away but not be able to take cheap shots at nearby foes with the GL :-P

Actually, I think your soldat shouldn't even respawn until you push a key; just show the timer, and then at 0.0 seconds change the text to "Ready to Respawn" or somethin' like that ;-)

b00stA
June 16, 2005, 4:50 pm
I prefer this: if you press the new "AFK" button, you will be kicked from the server.

Keron Cyst
June 16, 2005, 4:52 pm
Why would you want to do that?... :-/