( search forums )
Slightly Annoying thing dealing with Maps
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 2:03 am
Whenever you are trying to join a server that is currently on a map you do not use, the game will download the map and allow you to go in mere seconds. However, when playing a CTF game and the map changes to one you do not have, you get booted off, along with most of the team, to download the map.

My thinking is that wouldn't it save much time/frustration if the map was automatically downloaded when you are actually on the server? During the brief 5 second pause that occurs between maps?

I just find it to be very annoying when I am on a good server and all the sudden half the people get kicked off and then the game never reaches the same level again.

Keron Cyst
June 17, 2005, 4:40 pm
Automatic downloading has been suggested numerous times, and I've supported every one :-P

Why CTF in particular, BTW? That happens to all maps in general (I guess CTF has the most fan-made maps).

SPARTAN_III
June 17, 2005, 5:15 pm
yes. agree. but doesnt enesce's map downlader do that/???

Keron Cyst
June 17, 2005, 5:45 pm
What? What's that you say?! Linkie!! :-o I must have that, if it allows automatic map-downloading... O.O

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 9:00 pm
i really agree with this because when i dont have the proper map i download it but then the server is full

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 9:08 pm
This problem does'nt realy bother me all to much but it would be nice to have what you're suggesting

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 9:10 pm
Some people wouldn't like this because then they wouldn't have the chance to back out of the download.

Some of the custom maps out there are pure sh*t, for example, this "TotallySpies" map that I downloaded while trying to find a good public server. It was one extremely long polygon, with a flag at each end, and a stat gun in the middle. That's it.

I do agree with you on one thing though, it is annoying when almost everyone gets kicked off after a good game and then the teams get all mixed up and the gameplay turns to crap

Keron Cyst
June 18, 2005, 7:24 am
quote:Originally posted by SwazoSome people wouldn't like this because then they wouldn't have the chance to back out of the download....

This is definitely true. Furthermore, setting it as a checkbox in Options would be pointless since you don't know what quality the new map will contain...

DT
June 18, 2005, 8:08 pm
download map packs.. that helps the problem alot...
but all you have to do when your booted is press... join game...
problem solved!!!

Keron Cyst
June 18, 2005, 10:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by DT... all you have to do when your booted is press... join game...
What if you forgot the name of the server?

bond_james_bond
June 23, 2005, 3:47 am
quote:Originally posted by dascooi really agree with this because when i dont have the proper map i download it but then the server is full

I really hate it when that heppens. Therfore, I support this idea!

Avarax
June 23, 2005, 9:56 am
quote:Originally posted by SPARTAN_IIIyes. agree. but doesnt enesce's map downlader do that/???

it should be implemented in soldat though, because it sux if you always have to run certain third party programs for uncomplicated play.

Deleted User
June 23, 2005, 4:09 pm
I like this. but it could take more than 5 secs to download a map.. depends on custom scenery n stuff.