( search forums )
Regarding shots through wall
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
__SnoOpy__
June 17, 2005, 2:23 am
There's a lot complainings recently regarding shooting through walls. People yell at me when I shoots them through polygon, leaving them lying there furiously crying "WTF!!".

I think it's like that (shots goes through walls) since the birth of Soldat.

Neverthless, even though I disagrees with the fact that it's a "bug" at first, now I begin to think this:

1. Did Michal intended it to be like that?

2. Shooting through walls are not realistic anyway

3. There must be something wrong with polygons (It's too simple)

[o-o]

Anyway, every map have a place that bullet goes through walls. Here are some useful examples:

Inf_Fortress:
- All walls inside Blue base
- Both outside tunnels

Inf_Warehouse:
- Down the cliff to the Blue base, between the grasses and the place where low tunnel are connected.

Inf_Great_Wall:
- Every walls inside Blue base

Inf_Ponutheads:
- Every walls inside Blue base

Inf_Outpost:
- The wall right on top of where SG is located.

Basically, when you see thin walls, test it. Usually it goes through if you do it right.

Leo Da Lunerfox
June 17, 2005, 2:45 am
Its not the polygon's problem, its the speed of the projectile that matters, I think.

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 2:48 am
I think it has to do with how thin the polygon is and how long the gun you're using is. I can see why people complain about it, it's rather cheap in my opinion. Usually people don't even get a chance to kill you before they die

F3nyx
June 17, 2005, 4:56 am
I think it must have to do with both projectile speed and the polygon thickness. The problem with collision detection is that you can only check for a collision so many times per second (unless Michal has a different way of doing it). Thus a very fast projectile can sneak all the way through a thin polygon if it goes between collision checks. I could be totally wrong but I've read of some other game engines having this problem.

Of course it's cheap. It's an obvious exploit and any player who's interested in playing a fair game won't use it.

I hadn't seen those ones in the INF maps used... I see it all the time in Arena though. And on CTF-Dropdown, you can shoot through the tips of the thinner "stalactites" (the rocky spikes hanging down from the ceiling), even if you're only using a slow-bullet gun like Deagles, though your bullets get oddly deflected.

Ivan0
June 17, 2005, 7:08 am
Its a bug. If shoot-through-walls was intended, you could then do it from anywhere. The "fix" for shooting from cover (sandbags and such) made this possible, it seems. People who abuse this should be voted out of the server right away. Same goes for throwing nades through thin polygons.

SeanCapsAss
June 17, 2005, 8:42 am
Honestly its divine intervetion. God wants you to shoot through walls in a seemlying pointless polish 2d video game, hes training you for the future when heaven is under siege by hell (basically everyone who didn't buy the timeshares for those two condos in Pensicola, Florida) and he must use "thin-poly hax" to help defeat the minions of hell. Although this presents a moral and philosophical question can God ever use "Hax" and if he does that implies he in essence cheats. I will meditate on this for now.

Thought to think on: Always check who's trying to sell you a timeshare before you say no.
For future reference think of the coral snake (red on yellow. Will kill a fellow) For time share programs - (Please refrain from swearing) like Salesman. Will sell a ts plan

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 12:00 pm
wouldnt you think a barrett could shoot through a thin wall? it can rip a person in half so why not?

Da cHeeSeMaN
June 17, 2005, 4:20 pm
it can... i know them on laos and voland

_Mancer_
June 17, 2005, 4:48 pm
Don't do it. It's lame.

Mini Man
June 17, 2005, 5:11 pm
Teh Lameness >_>
Meh..should be fixed to stop barrets (The most used thing to shoot threw walls) becoming even MORE lame!

Darkfist007
June 17, 2005, 8:37 pm
IMHO if you shoot through a wall you should be banned from the server and any server that you exploit the glitch on.

mar77a
June 17, 2005, 8:41 pm
The worse part is in ctf_kapmf top right.... I REALLY HATE IT!!!

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 8:56 pm
on inf_cs_something but it has like a building i think your supposed to be able to shoot through the wall with the barrett because there are window scenery and you cant shoot through it without a barrett.

Taz
June 18, 2005, 6:43 pm
i agree, i hate when people shoot through walls on kampf on that right part of the top section.

Jamesmax0
June 19, 2005, 4:45 am
Or sometimes through the floors in warehouse

mickle89
June 19, 2005, 5:01 am
Sometimes I wonder how people do it. I got shot through a 2cm wall. ????

Deleted User
June 19, 2005, 12:43 pm
its so lame.. just go close a wall and shoot someone, is not exactly SkilLz0r

__SnoOpy__
June 19, 2005, 4:19 pm
I see you guys' problem.

mickle89:

The speed of Barret bullet can go through almost anything. In a thick wall, there are possiblities when:

() <= You
-------------

W A L L

-------------
() <= Shooter

If the shooter jets up and shoot, and your standing directly on top of him, you will get hurt most of the times. But it's only if your standing right on top of him.

Psycho:

It's not really as easy as you think. Shooting through wall usually only works if the victim is directly on top of where your shooting at. (You can only shoot straight up, or it won't hurt anyone). Other angles are similar, the bullet can only go straight through a wall.

In thinner walls, I do think it's a bit lame. However, aiming behind a wall, it's harder to handle because you aren't exactly sure where your shooting. It do cause an unfair advantage for barret over other weapons.

Melba
June 19, 2005, 4:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by __SnoOpy__(...)However, aiming behind a wall, it's harder to handle because you aren't exactly sure where your shooting.(...)

Soldat is an overview game. You can see through the wall...

Deleted User
June 19, 2005, 5:18 pm
not in real mode

__SnoOpy__
June 19, 2005, 7:51 pm
Melba:

I didn't mean that.
It's hard to explain, but the "feel" is a bit different.

Avarax
June 20, 2005, 9:39 am
i like this feature a lot...
i dont think it should be removed
its realistic if the walls are thin

criddo
June 20, 2005, 12:20 pm
Sometimes I get blasted by a grenade or someones M79 and I get stuck in the ground or something and I can't get out!

__SnoOpy__
June 21, 2005, 5:51 pm
/kill
/brutalkill
/mercy
alt + f4

Toumaz
June 21, 2005, 5:55 pm
/unplug computer

I think that this 'bug' shall be left untouched. I like it.

bond_james_bond
June 23, 2005, 3:40 am
Well... The Barret was intended to pierce tank armor....

Deleted User
June 23, 2005, 3:42 am
and it cant even kill a dude with a bulletproof vest ingame... its a sick, sick world init?

__SnoOpy__
June 23, 2005, 4:22 pm
Someone mentioned, it has to do with the new feature "Bullet and missile ricochets"
so when shooting through walls, it detects as "bouncing through" ?

SeanCapsAss
June 23, 2005, 4:52 pm
no it has always happened in everyone version its just thin polys that the barrel can reach through in some maps you can even do it with the ruger

Ivan0
June 23, 2005, 7:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by dascoowouldnt you think a barrett could shoot through a thin wall? it can rip a person in half so why not?

If you do it from 100 meters away - fine, if you stand right in front of the damn thing and fire, it would sooner rip you in half then your target.
Some one else posted about shooting through windows - well you can shoot through window from both sides right? Wrong, apperantly.

As already stated - this was not an intended "feature". Since it gives you unfair advantage over your target, its a plain cheat. Do it not.

__SnoOpy__
June 23, 2005, 9:08 pm
I disagree on calling it "cheat".

I understand the victim's feeling as being "cheat" killed. But this is a very proper and reasonable sniping skill which not everyone can handle correctly. It's not like you just go at a wall and shoot, and someone die over other side.

Not all polygons let bullet goes through. To know it well, it requires pre-knowledge and a lot testings before hand. If you didn't know the wall your standing beside kills - Congrates, you know now.

Darkfist007
June 24, 2005, 10:03 pm
using it is abusing an in game glitch, there fore its cheating. All the server I play games on consider cheating ot be 1. hacking 2. using in game glitches or 3. messing with the game files.