( search forums )
Probable cause of "not valid integer value"
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
The Professional
June 17, 2005, 4:12 pm
It's incredibly annoying, and memory related. Often times I have to shut down all running programs then Soldat will load, then I can reload things such as Firefox, my Citrix client, and IM program. If those programs (or most others) are running before I load Soldat, I inevitably get the "not valid integer value" error message constantly and am unable to play.

It's almost like Soldat requires a specific chunk of a memory, and if anything else is residing there it flips out instead of looking for the next free chunk.

Obviously the source code isn't available, but hopefully Michal can look into this and get it fixed.

i am ahab
June 17, 2005, 5:29 pm
Memory allocation is local dude. By which I mean that its down to your machine to give up memory for applications. I don't think this is tied to the problem. but of course i could be wrong.

Keron Cyst
June 17, 2005, 5:32 pm
Hm, I've never tried that before (I have gotten the invalid integer value error, tho'). Thanks for your input! I'll see if that works, if I encounter that odd error again :-)

mar77a
June 17, 2005, 5:41 pm
I think this happends when in the IP Addrs field you have some alphanumeric value, and you press the "Ping All" button, but im not sure..

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 5:55 pm
Soldat plainly states that you're to avoid running any extra programs when playing Soldat.

The Professional
June 17, 2005, 6:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliSoldat plainly states that you're to avoid running any extra programs when playing Soldat.

I understand that, and nothing against Michal, but this just points to poor programming. This shouldn't be an issue, unless it has something to do with his anti-cheat code, then I can [somewhat] understand. Heck, it could even be a bug in the Delphi compiler or something with DX.

quote:Memory allocation is local dude. By which I mean that its down to your machine to give up memory for applications. I don't think this is tied to the problem. but of course i could be wrong.

Soldat is, in one way or another, referencing a specific part of memory every time. If another program is occupying this memory location (such as Firefox), Soldat has a cow rather than locating a free segment. If every game followed this scheme people would be outdoors more often.

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 7:51 pm
The only person who can answer whether or not its part of the Anti-Cheat system is Michal, but I'd put my money on it.

The Professional
July 1, 2005, 4:13 pm
I've been playing around with this some more since I last posted, and believe I found a fix. Download this program: [URL]

"7-max is a program for accelerating your Windows 2000/XP system.
It increases the performance of some applications up to 10-20%."

Once you have it installed right-click on the Soldat icon and select "Run with 7max." Soldat will then launch in the memory segement(s) specified by 7max (which in reality is just a more efficient memory manager) without any problems no matter what else is running on your system. I've been trying to break it without success, so maybe this is a final fix for the issue of faults. Anyone care to give this a go on their system(s) and see if they get the same results?

SPARTAN_III
July 2, 2005, 5:16 am
i'm not sure, but maybe using the task manager to give soldat a higher priority might help. if you wantto know how, talk to me on MSN.

Michal Marcinkowski
July 3, 2005, 11:58 pm
It maybe because of the anti-cheat system, I'll check how it runs with "Citrix client, and IM program". What IM is it?
If not then it is poor programming ;). There are probably some memory leaks in Soldat, the code is very big and it is hard to fix it.

The Professional
July 5, 2005, 6:59 pm
Hey Michal, glad to see you caught this post. Honestly since I've been running Soldat under 7-max's memory manager I haven't had a single problem (you might want to play with it) no matter what I have running on my computer at the same time. The IM program I was running was Miranda (latest version available on their website).

I should apologize for the poor programming remark. You're good enough to take time out from RL to write a program such as Soldat and give it to the masses, so I should shut my mouth. I'm actually just trying to help :)

Michal Marcinkowski
July 6, 2005, 1:41 pm
I installed Citrix and wow, it screws Soldat completely, I got like 1555 ping.
I'll checkout Miranda and 7-max.

MOFO NOFO
July 6, 2005, 2:42 pm
Whoah, thats worse then playing on a 56k usa server.(from australia)

mabye you shouldent use any background programs, it works for me :D

b00stA
July 6, 2005, 4:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiI installed Citrix and wow, it screws Soldat completely, I got like 1555 ping.
I'll checkout Miranda and 7-max.

I'm running Miranda whenever my computer's on and I've had no problems with Soldat.

Deleted User
July 8, 2005, 12:15 am
what is miranda some kind of IM?

b00stA
July 8, 2005, 9:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by NitroEvowhat is miranda some kind of IM?

Read the page?
http://www.miranda-im.org/about/

It's an all-in-one IM that supports the following systems: "ICQ, AIM, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo, Gadu-Gadu, Tlen, Netsend, and more"