( search forums )
Soldatserver not launching
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
Victory
June 17, 2005, 11:36 pm
This is the error when I try to launch soldatserver.

newinstall# nohup ./soldatserver
ELF binary type "0" not known.
./soldatserver: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.

I am running FreeBSD 5.3

n00bface
June 17, 2005, 11:50 pm
have you ever been able to run a soldatserver in the past, and would this be an error that you just recently started getting?

If not, then you must first check that you have changed the file permissions on the soldatserver file, since by default it's permissions are restricted.

Does the "newinstall#" signify a new FreeBSD install?

Victory
June 18, 2005, 2:25 am
newinstall# is the computer name. Soldat worked on a server I had at a different datacentre, this is the first time I've tried launching the soldatserver on this box.

n00bface
June 18, 2005, 4:50 am
well I was wondering if you called the machine newinstall because it's..well..err, a newer install. but I guess im really asking is if it is a new install?

that error message is usually associated with bad installs according to the people in #freebsd @ qnet, and google seems to bring up similar results. i'm only asking so i can try and find a solution/alternate to getting it running. i had a similar problem on my fedora box at first.

Victory
June 20, 2005, 12:12 am
Well I'm successfully running another gameserver...

Deleted User
July 17, 2005, 6:10 pm
I'm currently getting the same problem with FreeBSD5.4

Running "brandelf -f 9 soldatserver" gets one step further but it still falls over with:

ELF interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found
Abort

No surprise seen as FreeBSD doesn't have the Linux /lib directory.

I'm reading things about Linux compatibility which installs to /usr/compat/linux/lib but haven't found any more on it yet. Will report back if I get it up and running.

Deleted User
July 17, 2005, 6:24 pm
That was easy:

cd /usr/ports/emulatort/linux_base
make install distclean

add linux_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.local

had to brandelf back to 0 and it ran fine.

Might be worth getting this added to one of the sticky topics so people don't have to figure it out themselves all the time :0)

Deleted User
July 17, 2005, 6:26 pm
er, that should be cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux-base

Deleted User
July 17, 2005, 6:27 pm
Looking dumb now cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base

i am ahab
September 23, 2005, 4:00 pm
I'm bringing this thread back to life to ask an admin if you'll make the information here sticky?

I plan on trying the server on a freebsd 5.4 box this weekend. as im looking into putting bsd into full swing as my primary router at some point. but soldat possibilites must be preserved. avast!