( search forums )
ctf_taurus [finished] and ctf_liberty preview
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Avarax
June 19, 2005, 7:08 pm
ctf_liberty will be a map with the statue of liberty on it. it took me 1 hour creating the statue scenery :/ the map will consist of the island with the statue on it, some ships on the water and other small islands, underwater will be the lower way. about 5% done.
[IMAGE]

ctf_taurus is a map in a giant mountain, which can be climbed too. bases are at the ends of the middle route. this map is finished.

THANX TO HHH FOR WAYPOINTS, HE'S GREAT AT THEM ;)

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[URL]

^public beta v.2.0^

HHH will waypoint it soon

Roy
June 19, 2005, 7:15 pm
Hmm... I have no idea how the Liberty one will turn out, but I like the mountain one. It seems of decent size, the shading is adequate, and it has a good layout. But, it would be much nicer if you didn't simply mirror it. I know it basically doubles the amount of time it takes on the map, but it will add an extra layer of subtle variation if you don't mirror.

Michal
June 19, 2005, 7:53 pm
I don't think liberty would be very fitting as a default map, but it may turn out very nicely...
Taurs looks great, although maybe a bit too big for the ESL contest :/

Avarax
June 20, 2005, 9:43 am
taurus is big, BUT the action only takes place in the mountain because climbing over it takes it time.
liberty will actually turn out very much like a default map with islands, it's just the big statuem scenery that makes it loook non-defaultish. i did my best to make it look soldatish.
@roy:
its mirrored, but i modified both halfs a bit now, so they are slightly different.

SPARTAN_III
June 20, 2005, 10:38 am
can we stand on the statue? hope so. and maybe put statguns on some of the ships.

Boxo
June 20, 2005, 11:15 am
Taurus's layout is lovely, looks very fun. The colours are pretty dull, though.

Can't say much about the statue one, except that scenery like that deson't really fit into soldat. Too little colour, and the lightning doesn't match the map. A statue of liberty made out of polygons, now that'd bee leet :I

Rambo_6
June 20, 2005, 2:37 pm
Try making diffeent colors on taurus... I like the look so far.

As for liberty, it should be interesting to say the least.

Deleted User
June 20, 2005, 4:45 pm
They're cool maps, but I just cant immagine them being in the next soldat version :-/

Avarax
June 20, 2005, 6:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by Boxo...and the lightning doesn't match the map.

you're right, i'll increase contrast

Famine
June 20, 2005, 7:45 pm
Taurus is great.

Avarax
June 20, 2005, 9:17 pm
[URL]

^public beta^

Michal
June 20, 2005, 10:42 pm
Taurus looks lovely, I would like to see it default. The extra routes will add excitement to the gameplay.
edit: I would suggest moving the spawnpoints further from the flag because it's annoying to kill a defender just to have him respawn immiediatly and kill you :P

Keron Cyst
June 20, 2005, 11:11 pm
The topmost central rock should have more cracks and more fighting space for soldaten. It looks nice :-) Overview of ctf_Liberty?...

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 9:14 am
taurus is now waypointed.. where to place the respawn points is up to Avarax:p

Goofy_92
June 21, 2005, 9:39 am
Taurus is are the mountains in Turkey, right? Is that a giant scenery behind the map?
My computer doesn't like it.

Avarax
June 21, 2005, 4:12 pm
yeah, there is a giant stretched bush scenery behind. i'll see if it still looks good if i remove it to increase performance. kk, michal, i'll put the spawns more away from flag. also i noticed when playing the map on terror clan pub that middle is just too fast to rush through and sprayparadise, so i'll enlarge the tiny islands at top of the middle cave. since the route around the whole mountain is rarely used i wont make any place for combat there. yes, taurus are mountains in turkey.

note:
there is more scenery in the beta than on the overview.

i'd be honoured if someone would put this on his public ;)

liberty is only 5% done so far and my power supply of my pc just burned down because a moth flied into it -___-
i first need to buy a new one before i can continue working on it.

Da cHeeSeMaN
June 21, 2005, 5:46 pm
hehe nice

Swebonny
June 21, 2005, 6:28 pm
damn i like the taurus map. Feels so almighty ;)

Niece Work ;D

Michal
June 23, 2005, 1:17 am
[IMAGE]
:0 double placed poly! You might want to get rid of that ;]
There are also some badly snapped vertexes, especially on the mountain slope.
P.S. I'm only bothering you about it because I really like this map and I think it has a good chance of being official, so I'd like all the little bugs fixed :P

Avarax
June 23, 2005, 9:52 am
oh, thanks a lot, i'll take a look on it with polyworks too...

edit:
new beta and screens for taurus online

edit edit:

i have a big problem:
people complain about the low fps, i think it is because of the 2 big bush scenerys in the background. but i cant remove them, i dont know where to click to delete it -_-
does anyone know a tool like edit pro where u can select scenery and see where that spot is were u have to click to delete it?
or maybe someone can remove the 2 bushes and send me the file.

Pleeeeaaaaase. my whole map would be... rubbish if the bush scenery stays in it

Michal
June 26, 2005, 10:53 pm
The low FPS is not caused by the scenery. I tested the map with and without scenery. Both gave me around 50 fps. In a smaller map the fps is around 60. I tried another map with a similar amount polygons, no large sceneries and the fps was again around 50. The low framerate is definitely caused by the large amount of polygons.
I suggest you hollow out the mountain, and get rid of polygons in the platforms by removing polygons not touching the surface and then extending those surface polygons down until they meet.

Avarax
June 27, 2005, 10:08 am
k, good idea :)

Deleted User
June 27, 2005, 11:47 am
have u tested the map i gave u?

Avarax
June 27, 2005, 12:47 pm
yeye, next beta will be out soon, the waypoints are nice ;)

Deleted User
June 27, 2005, 1:24 pm
i thought if this map is going on next version (the map is sertantly good enough:))
then i could do the waypoints a bit better.. i mean like camping for 10 secs at the flags.. you know, more human like:P

Avarax
June 27, 2005, 3:40 pm
why not ;)

i decreased the poly count by 25% from more than 2000 to about 1550 by removing the old rocks at the sides of the map and replacing them. for me fps increased from 40 to 42, but maybe it is more effective for slow pc's.
new link will be out soon, so HHH can make waypoints better.

Deleted User
June 27, 2005, 3:45 pm
ok.. just pm me with the link when its done:)

Avarax
June 28, 2005, 12:45 pm
i dont think i can finish liberty before the 30th of june, but i'll make taurus even better till then ;)

EDIT:

Finaly ctf_taurus is ready, i'll send it tomorrow, i hope all bugs are fixed.

this map took me about 2 weeks of work :-O

i love it ;p