( search forums )
The Ghetto Map
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Chakra`
June 20, 2005, 3:39 pm

Recently come across an old HD of mine from 2 years ago.

On it, was something I completely forgot about. Back then I was a little bored of the repetitive styles of maps that were around lately...."why no urban-themed maps?" I thought.

So I got a little carried away with things, not knowing a thing about mapmaker or maps, and made a ghetto map completely covered with personally-made ghetto-styled scenery, that was about twice as tall and wide as ctf_run.

It was going to be quite interesting. 3 levels; the roof tops with external stairway's leading up to them, the street with the cars you could hide behind, and the subway with pillars every few inches you couldn't shoot through.

However, it simply isn't plausible for two reasons.

1. All the scenery uncompressed is about 60mb.
2. Some of the images are so large, that they don't fully 'load' in game, except for the host.

Anyhow, a few others took a look at it, and said the scenery was pretty good, and that it was a shame to put them to waste. I concurred.

Here's the map in full. Well, almost full, theres a few cm's on each side you can't see but that was as far mapmaker could zoom out to!
http://img231.echo.cx/img231/3313/ghettomap10qh.jpg

A stairway in front of a typically textured building
http://img173.echo.cx/my.php?image=stairway7va.jpg

The ammunation store (blue team's flag under the sign, which you could shoot through but not move through.) leading into the subway.
http://img173.echo.cx/img173/1168/ammunation1ok.jpg

Red flag went on top of the blue building.
http://img173.echo.cx/img173/1294/ghetto10qw.jpg

The map's too friggin huge to use practically, and it's also made by me so it's a bit cack.

So,yeah, just wondering, anyone out there who's good at cut-and-paste who'd like to rip a building or whatever from these sceneries, maybe even make a decent map out of them?

http://llsc.us/members/Chakra/uploads/g.zip

7mb .rar file compressed. Go nuts. The map itself doesn't work for me (reports an 'error' with one of the scenery files), but it worked for my mate kai. Then when he tried to load it again, it came up with an error, but for a different file than the one I had an error with. Your guess is as good as mine.

Swebonny
June 20, 2005, 3:51 pm
HOOOOOLYYYY MAMA THIS IS WHAT I CALL A GREAT MAP..wowowow... shiiit.. This maps got everything. Cars, flags , buldings, 3d feeling, nude girl ;) omg this is the greatest map ever man!

99.5/100 becuse of the size :D

Nice man

IlIdan
June 20, 2005, 4:00 pm
hello,
Your map is realy good^^

i like the style...

I have a question, can you make a second map with Martin RiR 's scenery's?
The link to the scenery's is not exist, you must download the best map from Martin Rir, you can find the map on this Board!

Chakra`
June 20, 2005, 4:08 pm
Woah slow down there. I ain't no mapmaker. I'm a crap mapmaker, and i've tried. Basically the map you see above, is just 60mb of scenery with a few flat polygons covering them up.

64-bit Cookie
June 20, 2005, 4:12 pm
heh. Its still pretty good. I like the fact that you used some scenery from GTA 3. :)

Leo Da Lunerfox
June 20, 2005, 9:57 pm
I like it for the effort, but as far as gameplay goes...would be a little hard to play. But as you said, it isn't practical, so I gave you an A just for effort alone :)

Avarax
June 21, 2005, 4:04 pm
this is more like art than a soldat map ;)
great jobs at optics, but i bet the gameplay is kind off screwed up :P

Chakra`
June 21, 2005, 4:10 pm
Yeah i'd wager the same, though I never got to try it. Only ever bounced around in the map by myself. However I still think it could be cut up and put to good use by someone talented enough.

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 7:38 pm
HOLY SH*T THAT IS PWNX0RZ!

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 8:03 pm
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaam. Thats awesome.

Chakra`
June 21, 2005, 8:30 pm
Yeah alright, enough about how awesome it is. Someone make it work, make it smaller, or make something else with whatever they want out of it.

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 9:22 pm
far-left scenery doesnt load. :(

The @venger
June 21, 2005, 9:35 pm
gimme a screenshot man, i wanna see how it looks, but i dont wanna download it...

Deleted User
June 21, 2005, 9:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Here's the map in full. Well, almost full, theres a few cm's on each side you can't see but that was as far mapmaker could zoom out to!
http://img231.echo.cx/img231/3313/ghettomap10qh.jpg

RTFT

Raptor
June 22, 2005, 12:30 am
I REALLY have to tell you that this map is GREAT!!! I've been seeking for a "city" map, and here it is! :D

Zero72
June 22, 2005, 2:29 am
SNAP. That map looks simply stellar, but... I dunno about a 60-mb download for it.

Even if this particular map isn't released, something similar should be. That's just too damn awesome.

Deleted User
June 22, 2005, 10:26 am
Me and Chakra might be working together to make a smaller, more usable version of the map. No promises, but watch this space.

i am ahab
June 22, 2005, 3:49 pm
lol the lights spell 2wai...

Chakra`
June 22, 2005, 6:15 pm
Yeah was back in the day when 2Wai were still in business.

Anyhow, through the miracle of "Real Length Encoding" compression on BMP's reducing images by 1/3rd their size at times, cutting and pasting like an underpaid NHS surgeon, and the very helpful PM from Lapis which halved the size again, I have...somehow...reduced the size of all the scenery involved to a humble 893kb uncompressed.

Still a tad large for any map, especially if you had to download it from a server. But it's a start.

N1nj@
June 23, 2005, 12:38 am
omfg aw3some!!!

Deleted User
June 23, 2005, 1:31 am
I'm glad the info I gave you helped, Chakra`.

I hope this map can get put into a good server's rotation.

Zero72
June 23, 2005, 1:57 am
A megabyte is big for a map, but it beats the pants off of 60 mb! I'd do it!

Avarax
June 23, 2005, 10:01 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Yeah was back in the day when 2Wai were still in business.

Anyhow, through the miracle of "Real Length Encoding" compression on BMP's reducing images by 1/3rd their size at times, cutting and pasting like an underpaid NHS surgeon, and the very helpful PM from Lapis which halved the size again, I have...somehow...reduced the size of all the scenery involved to a humble 893kb uncompressed.

Still a tad large for any map, especially if you had to download it from a server. But it's a start.

i think i can reduce it even more with very low quality lose... :)
i'll givew it a try and give you my results

Chakra`
June 23, 2005, 2:25 pm
http://llsc.us/members/Chakra/uploads/da%20scenery.rar -615kb

Well if you can reduce the file size without reducing too much of the quality (it definitely doesn't look as crisp as it used to, but it'll do), go for it.

the rar file contains all of the main scenery. Comes to about 900kb uncompressed.

Avarax
June 23, 2005, 3:11 pm
damn it, u already decreased colour depth :P

liquidis x snake
June 25, 2005, 4:15 pm
Chakra I want to molest your ovaries!

PreeGo
July 8, 2005, 9:29 pm
NIIIIICE

dude
July 9, 2005, 9:31 pm
do you know how long it took you?

Deleted User
July 9, 2005, 10:36 pm
this is more like art than a soldat map ;)
great jobs at optics, but i bet the gameplay is kind off screwed up :P

Deleted User
July 12, 2005, 9:45 pm
wow nice map! ;)

KeFear
July 17, 2005, 10:38 am
hey, that's nice. i might be able to use it for my movie if i have time later. Just what i always wanted.. a REAL city map. Cool!

Chakra`
July 17, 2005, 12:58 pm
Well we're just waiting on Stalky getting round to it. Lazy cvnt that he is.

He said he's waiting on a version of Pollyworks that works with scenery. Anyone else wanna take up the job? Go right ahead, the scenery is all there. Though you'll have to copy a few pieces in a graphic editor so you can paste over polygons.

sbu-spyvin
July 17, 2005, 6:24 pm
Got to try........!

Deleted User
July 28, 2005, 3:23 pm
holy @#$% Chakra', i am thuroughly humbled by your artistic ability, (not that i have much artistic ability any way.
if any of the makers of soldat see this message: for gods sake, hire him!!!!!

Deleted User
July 28, 2005, 11:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Well we're just waiting on Stalky getting round to it. Lazy cvnt that he is.

He said he's waiting on a version of Pollyworks that works with scenery.

The awaited version of polyworks was released recently and indeed this map is nearly finished. When I get some free time this weekend I should be able to put it online for you all.

papasurf31
July 29, 2005, 12:07 pm
Damn that is sexy. My map is gonna be like the same thing, tons of sceneries. if I get it to work, you think you can tell me how to compress my images like you did? plzkthx.

Chakra`
August 2, 2005, 3:00 pm
Sure papasurf.

What I did, in Jasc Paint Shop Pro, was..

1. Save the image as a .gif . I'd configure the gif customly, so I could set the amount of colours and other quality effects until I was satisfied with a reasonable size and detail.

2. I'd then reload the .gif into PSP, and save it again as a BMP. When saving as a BMP, I saved it under 'RLE' encoding. 'Real Length Encoding'. Depending on the image's complexity, it will reduce the size considerably.

papasurf31
August 2, 2005, 6:55 pm
Crap. I don't have a PSP. I want one though. They look so much cooler than DS.

Chakra`
August 2, 2005, 11:40 pm
Very funny.

Can you believe Stalky has actually nearly finished the map? and it's like, playable?

How cool is that.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

Kazuki
August 3, 2005, 1:08 am
That last screenshot is one elite Hungarian prostitute.

That means it rules.

LazehBoi
August 3, 2005, 1:23 am
Wait. You guys were serious?
I thought Stalky was lying. :|

Kazuki
August 3, 2005, 1:48 am
Haha! Sucks for you, doesn't it? :)

It was fun, but we agreed that it would be better as a DM map because of the lack of symmetry, mostly.

Deleted User
August 3, 2005, 1:58 am
IT IS DONE.

Extract to /soldat.

Its a ctf for now, I'll probably convert it to DM and other gamemodes in the future. No waypoints, because..just no.

Hoodlum
August 3, 2005, 2:37 am
Best map ever.

Marine
August 11, 2005, 5:58 pm
Amazing. Shows the potential Soldat maps might possibly have...amazing. Just amazing.

Deleted User
August 16, 2005, 7:51 am
Whoa dude how did u do that dude dont call it crap ur good u should make more!