( search forums )
"Is Soldat dieing?" Let the numbers speak :]
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
b00stA
June 26, 2005, 4:43 pm
Since I am hosting the Soldat Lobby backup (not a real lobby, but a mirror of it), I've been logging the amount of servers.
Basically I check the lobby every 90 minutes and upload a processed copy of it to the server. I also log the amount of servers.
So here's a excel graph showing the amount of servers over a certain time span:

[IMAGE]

You can also see the time where the lobby was being updated / when the new selfkill lobby was added: 13.3.05
Remember, the date format is: Day.Month.Year :)

Green Barret
June 26, 2005, 4:46 pm
Wow! Nice report!

It seems like Soldat is slowly growing...

PS: What's with May 5th, 2005? Not a single player played?

Chakra`
June 26, 2005, 4:48 pm
Hmm...so we've got 50 more servers 7 months ago.

Now all we need is more players to fill all the empty ones ¬_¬

Deleted User
dieing? it seems to be GROWING in populartiy.
btw that picture took an awful long time to load for me :P

Melba
quote:PS: What's with May 5th, 2005? Not a single player played?

dude... that's the official 'No computers' day :o

b00stA
June 26, 2005, 4:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by Green BarretPS: What's with May 5th, 2005? Not a single player played?[code]
05.05.05 19:09:41 0 total servers.
05.05.05 20:39:43 275 total servers.
05.05.05 22:09:43 269 total servers.
05.05.05 23:39:44 262 total servers.[/code]
Nope :)
quote:Originally posted by Psychobtw that picture took an awful long time to load for me :P
It's only 13 kb.

Deleted User
June 26, 2005, 5:03 pm
it looks like soldat is haveing up's and down's..
lets hope its going staight up if\when the new version is comming..

BTW: i you look at the right end of the picture.. it looks like its going pretty fast downwards.. that's not good.

bond_james_bond
June 26, 2005, 5:30 pm
ok, this chart, being "upside-down" makes it harder to read... for me at least =)

But it looks as the popularity is growing (as most everyone says)

Look carefully at the chart and you'll see. It's like one of the trick questions in a math test or something. =p

Goofy_92
June 26, 2005, 5:34 pm
The word is "dying" not "dieing" ;)

Darkfist007
June 26, 2005, 5:40 pm
Its growing yes. But the players are geting dumber by the day. If you can trick someone into thinking that alt+f4 brings up the cheat options, they are stupid, but if they keep trying for 20 min thats flat out retarded. Anyone that plays soldat frequently can see that more and more hackers, and just all around n00bs are joining, with the number of new-bs staying about the same. The question is the growth of soldat a good thing?

Kazuki
June 26, 2005, 6:11 pm
Very nice report, b00sta. I would only suspect this as it's natural for a game's server population to grow over time, seeing as how it gets more and more popular as it spreads throughout the world.

Hitman
June 26, 2005, 6:16 pm
Nice graph, b00stA, we've been needing something like this.

Darkfist, stop being an asshole. Yes, anybody who joins a game for the first time may be a newbie or a noob for that matter. However, it's your 'duty' as an experienced player to welcome these new players and answer any questions they may have. Who cares if explaining how something works takes a couple of seconds off your 'precious' play-time. The more you tease/mock them and refuse to help them, the longer they remain unaware of how to properly play the game. The newbies of today are the veterans of tomorrow; treat them with at least a certain amount of respect or at least consideration which they deserve.

Chakra`
June 26, 2005, 6:33 pm
Is it fvck our duty. Theres a manual, an archive of just about every question asked, and google for all computer related problems. That's how I always did it. The results are more instaneous, and requires minimal effort.

I say, peeps should stop holding noobs' hands as they're taken through Soldat. Do it yourself.

Hitman
June 26, 2005, 6:38 pm
How many times have I told you not to disagree with me in front of other people?!

*Slaps Chakra*

reckon
June 26, 2005, 6:50 pm
We're just weeding out the crap from the good.
Soon theyll all be gone and it will just be us.
Oh theres time.

Swebonny
June 26, 2005, 7:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by HHHit looks like soldat is haveing up's and down's..
lets hope its going staight up if\when the new version is comming..

BTW: i you look at the right end of the picture.. it looks like its going pretty fast downwards.. that's not good.

Indeed with that! But i think when the next soldat comes it will grow again :D

Deleted User
June 26, 2005, 7:07 pm
When i started playing soldat, i used to see something like 250-350 players in the lobby, usually when i go to play now, I see 600 most of the time. :P

Nice graph b00sta, interesting to look at it ;P

i am ahab
June 26, 2005, 7:12 pm
that said, there are a lot of empty ctf european servers that i see in ze lobby.

we need some more good ones

*waves big 'bring back SUS' sign*

Alamo
June 26, 2005, 7:20 pm
yey for Soldat! nice work b00sta.

Vijchtidoodah
June 26, 2005, 10:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by HHHBTW: i you look at the right end of the picture.. it looks like its going pretty fast downwards.. that's not good.

HHH, when you look at trends you look at the overall picture, not one little section. Even still, that's a very minor dip when compared to others.

quote:Originally posted by bond_james_bond ok, this chart, being "upside-down" makes it harder to read...

The chart isn't upside-down, fix your eyes. The purple part represents the data and the gray is null space.

b00stA, thanks for the graph! But remember, this doesn't actually represent the number of people playing, only the servers. I would like to think that the two are directly related but that isn't always the case.

Darkfist007
June 26, 2005, 11:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by HitmanNice graph, b00stA, we've been needing something like this.

Darkfist, stop being an asshole. Yes, anybody who joins a game for the first time may be a newbie or a noob for that matter. However, it's your 'duty' as an experienced player to welcome these new players and answer any questions they may have. Who cares if explaining how something works takes a couple of seconds off your 'precious' play-time. The more you tease/mock them and refuse to help them, the longer they remain unaware of how to properly play the game. The newbies of today are the veterans of tomorrow; treat them with at least a certain amount of respect or at least consideration which they deserve.

Im nice to soldiers, Im not nice to idiots. If the soldier taks liek tis, I will have no problem with voting him out. People that ask for hacks I show no mercy to, dont judge me from a few words before you know the whole story and make yourself seem like a idiot.
Also I dont care if it takes a few seconds off my play time, Ive typed large movie quotes, just to be funny. XP

__SnoOpy__
June 27, 2005, 12:29 am
Darkfist007:

There are two kind of "n00b"s. First type refers to new players, those are okay. Second type refers to players who fail to realize what a moron he is. Your the second type unfortunately, so I suggest you stop talking.
----
Back to topic:

As mentioned above, I think there's a lot more empty servers ever than before.

Darkfist007
June 27, 2005, 1:04 am
quote:Originally posted by __SnoOpy__Darkfist007:

There are two kind of "n00b"s. First type refers to new players, those are okay. Second type refers to players who fail to realize what a moron he is. Your the second type unfortunately, so I suggest you stop talking.
----
Back to topic:

As mentioned above, I think there's a lot more empty servers ever than before.

Acctuly a New-B is a person new to the game, a n00b is an idiot that hacks or messes around and ruins other peoples pleaure of the game. Dont base your definitions on CS speek, CS is the only game that I know of that doesnt use the diffrent trems for the 2 diffrent things. And how and I the second type, plz take this up in a pm so we dont make the thread into a flame war.

BManx2000
June 27, 2005, 2:42 am
I say "Bah" to people who think they are the Authority Of Definitions Of Non-Words.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
June 27, 2005, 4:37 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`
Now all we need is more players to fill all the empty ones ¬_¬

Yes. Out of the 259 total servers that came up in the lobby a few mins ago, only 36 had people in them. Now thats sad.... That means there were 223 empty servers. Let the numbers speak.

bond_james_bond
June 27, 2005, 1:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodah

quote:Originally posted by bond_james_bond ok, this chart, being "upside-down" makes it harder to read...

The chart isn't upside-down, fix your eyes. The purple part represents the data and the gray is null space.

Thank you, I understand it now! =)

Darkfist007
June 27, 2005, 3:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by BManx2000I say "Bah" to people who think they are the Authority Of Definitions Of Non-Words.

I base all that on definitions defined by an old server. One rule was no n00bish behavior, they outlined what that was, and what the diffrence between a n00b and new-b is. Im not the authority, Im just not an idiot that uses the same word to describe 2 compleatly diffrent things.

b00stA
June 27, 2005, 6:29 pm
Yup, it doesn't directly mean that more people started playing, but it does make a lot of sense.
Maybe it just got easier to host servers?

Chakra`
June 27, 2005, 7:32 pm
Well first you gotta ask, why are people hosting servers?

Perhaps the increase is reflective of the amount of clans hosting their own server, both for public and clan wars. Hell, theres been times where 2wai had '5' public servers!

Darkfist007
June 27, 2005, 8:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Well first you gotta ask, why are people hosting servers?

Perhaps the increase is reflective of the amount of clans hosting their own server, both for public and clan wars. Hell, theres been times where 2wai had '5' public servers!

I saw a caln have 6 servers up, all but one were empty. >.< Mind you I havent seen the tag since, I dont even remeber it now but none the less. Too bad theres no way to track how many people are online over a months time, have each day count as 2 units on the graph so every space is the 12h average.