( search forums )
*UPDATED* CTF - Monsoon v1.05, by Soap (ESL)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Quality Maps
Soap
June 28, 2005, 11:04 am

*UPDATED* CTF - Monsoon v1.05, by Soap (ESL)
============================================

Monsoon was a slut of a map that took me more than a week to finish. If you ask me, the time spent on it was worth it. Includes new sceneries, a new texture and waypoints. Feel free to rip and use them. Submitted to the ESL mapping competition. Veteran Soldat players may find something about this map oddly familiar.

I think it is going to be a somewhat contraversial map, since I have used a lot more scenery than the norm. This is not an accident; Monsoon is SUPPOSED to look like a jungle.

I have little faith in this map winning the ESL competition, because it is something new and different. The map that will win the ESL competition will probably be barren, flat and boring, like most of the maps that ship with Soldat by default. This is frusterating, because I spent 60+ hours in the past week working on this map. Please try to appreciate my hard work.

Anyway, that is my two cents. WE CAN DO A LOT BETTER, PEOPLE.

*UPDATE* v1.05 contains a complete waypoint makeover by HHH and some small collider bug fixes. Please download the map again.

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Download - http://www.poronet.com/host/soap/ctf_Monsoon.zip[/img]
Unzip into the Soldat folder.

Boxo
June 28, 2005, 11:09 am
You linked the download to a .jpg file? ._.

On the pictures, it looks extremely nifty.

Soap
June 28, 2005, 11:09 am
Ok, I fixed it.

Deleted User
June 28, 2005, 11:12 am
are you gonna tell them who made most of the waypoints? :P

EDIT: ok.. some of them:p

Goofy_92
June 28, 2005, 11:17 am
Holy crap! This looks so friggin' awesome! I think I'm going to have a heart-attack. ^ ^

STEELIX
June 28, 2005, 11:21 am
That's heavy scenery use right there! :O
Fscking nice map, though, must download.

Soap
June 28, 2005, 11:39 am
I've run out of transfer on my (Please refrain from swearing)ty geocities site, can someone host the zip and images for me? If you don't have them, I will email them to you.

Soap
June 28, 2005, 12:01 pm
It is now fixed.

Avarax
June 28, 2005, 12:28 pm
the custom scenerys own :X
the whole lower part is from ctf_swamp, you lazy (Please refrain from swearing) ;P

the layout is very different from other maps, i hope it still has a great gameplay, we'll see, i doubt that this wont get into the finals of the contest.

EDIT:
Nice waypints, best optics I've ever seen so far, gameplay is good, but not perfect, i think more jet would increase it.

Soap
June 28, 2005, 12:36 pm
I wasn't being lazy, I did that on purpose :)

STEELIX
June 28, 2005, 12:45 pm
More jet is true though, we just had a few matches on it.
All of those sceneries in front of players make things hard to see, too, but I guess that's what ya get in a jungle.

Swebonny
June 28, 2005, 1:24 pm
Wow nice map! I got a really djungle feeling

Deleted User
June 28, 2005, 1:42 pm
with soap's permission, i'm gonna waypoint this map. so it works:p

Soap
June 28, 2005, 1:43 pm
Please do.

Michal
June 28, 2005, 4:57 pm
Soap, it's awesome how you always manage to put atmosphere into a map.
The texture looks great, the subtle colour changes are nice, and as usual you did good work with the scenery.
I love the pool of water at the bottom, the mist looks really good.
I think the layout would make for interesting gameplay.
Good job on the map.

BTW, just wondering, why is the map made up of 2 layers of polys :?

Keron Cyst
June 28, 2005, 5:22 pm
Holy cow. I want those trees. Did you make them yourself? The wrinkled lianas also rock.
Aside from the fact that it looks more suited to a 5 vs. 5, this map has easy potential to win. In fact, if it doesn't, and a crappy map does, I'll go complain with you. Seriously.

The bridge has too many ropes coming from the top corners and none from the middle. Try that ;-)

Rambo_6
June 28, 2005, 5:59 pm
I thought this was going to be an INF map, Soap :P

Anyways, it looks like sechs to me.

Zero72
June 28, 2005, 6:33 pm
Oh my crud, that's awesome. *get*

Edit: The layout is great, and the jungle scenery looks stellar and sets an awesome atmosphere. Very nice work.

Leo
June 28, 2005, 6:54 pm
Dam you people, why you make so beatiful maps ? Again I must change my maplist :DD

Maxx
June 28, 2005, 7:29 pm
Yet another masterpiece from you.

This should definately become a default map.

KnOt
June 28, 2005, 7:43 pm
That is........ Amazing..

Pablo Honey
June 28, 2005, 8:32 pm
I love your maps because you use a lot of scenery. This map should probably win. It's the best one I've seen so far.

STEELIX
June 28, 2005, 10:40 pm
But keep in mind the people with not-so-awesome specs, Pablo

Soap
June 28, 2005, 10:49 pm
Yeah, the people with Pentium 166s! Won't someone think of the children? :(

hock3y
June 28, 2005, 11:31 pm
This map is just so awesome, its just so fun to play on and the scenery looks perfect. This is the best map I've seen out of the other ESL ones.

Nukem
June 29, 2005, 12:01 am
i realy like the map, but please add a roof. flag carrior that hide on the top of the map suck -.-

STEELIX
June 29, 2005, 12:36 am
quote:Originally posted by SoapYeah, the people with Pentium 166s! Won't someone think of the children? :(

Hey, people complained about my paper map, so I figured... ;)

Roy
June 29, 2005, 2:19 am
Very nice-looking map... good use of scenery. Definitely a contender for 1st place in this contest.

Soap
June 29, 2005, 3:34 am
I working on a version 1.05. HHH is giving the waypoints a good make over, I'm adding a roof and also fixing a few minor bugs.

STEELIX
June 30, 2005, 1:04 am
I'll inform my superiors, guv.

Soap
June 30, 2005, 2:49 am
*UPDATE* v1.05 contains a complete waypoint makeover by HHH and some small collider bug fixes. Please download the map again.

grand_diablo
June 30, 2005, 1:27 pm
Dont forget to resend it once its finally final :p

Zero72
June 30, 2005, 7:07 pm
Nice work, HHH.

[IMAGE]

=P

sbu-spyvin
July 5, 2005, 2:30 pm
This map looks veryyy nice and very nice Trees i want those scenerys!

Hitman
August 11, 2005, 3:54 pm
I just played this on a server and I love it. At first I didn't download it from here cause I thought the gameplay would be crap, but to be honest it's truly awesome. Plus, it looks great.

Nice work.

DeMonIc
August 14, 2005, 6:33 pm
This map is hosted on the NbK server, and I like playing on it :) Great gameplay, good looks: extreme fun in publics. Don't know about clanwars though ;<